• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Local police officer kills dog after being attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.co.../20/dog-killed-after-officer-attack/76096500/

WARNING: Crazy video of the attack and shots from officer's body cam in the link. This is my neck of the woods so I thought I'd share.

LANCASTER - A Lancaster police officer fired multiple rounds, killing an aggressive dog that attacked him twice while he was responding to a dog bite complaint around 8:25 p.m. on Thursday in the 600 block of North High Street.

Officer Alex Sinewe was bitten repeatedly before firing nine rounds, killing the dog. The Eagle-Gazette obtained Sinewe's body cam video, capturing the entire attack. The video shows Sinewe knocking on the resident's door and asking if the dogs are put away. The resident responds "no," and when she turns to go back into the home to put them away, two dogs run out and one large mixed breed dog attacks Sinewe.

Once the attack is over, both dogs run down the steps of the apartment. On the sidewalk, one turns back and goes back onto the porch before the second, aggressive one returns and attacks Sinewe a second time. Sinewe was bitten multiple times and was taken to Fairfield Medical Center for treatment. Sinewe did not fire any shots until the second attack.

The resident was on the porch while the shots were fired and started yelling for the dog to stop before the officer started firing. According to the report, the resident is not the owner of the dog and the owner was not there when the attacks occurred.

As the shots were fired, the other dog ran away and still has not been located, according to the Lancaster Police Department. Officials are attempting to locate the second dog, which didn't appear to be part of either attack. The dog that was killed is being tested for rabies, according to the police department.

About 10 minutes prior to the shooting, the same dog had reportedly bitten a 24-year-old man leaving the apartment next door in the leg. The man said the dog was on a leash but dragged the resident across the yard in order to get to him. Sinewe had just finished talking with the first bite victim before he was bitten by the dog himself.

Officers are trained to fire until the deadly threat stops, according to Lancaster police officials. The department reviewed Sinewe's use of force multiple times and determined that although an animal's death is tragic, police officials said the officer acted appropriately. Officials also noted that Sinewe is an average-size male, and a smaller officer in this circumstance may have been killed.

Normally I don't post the whole article, but it behooves everyone to go to the link and watch the video. Scary stuff. Went from 0-100 instantly. Although I wish it had been animal control in that situation, that dog was definitely vicious. It came back for a second attack.

rjinaz

Horrible situation. Sad that the dog died but sounds like it was pretty vicious and had already attacked somebody.

Volimar

Humans stand no chance, what empathy will they have for dogs.

To be fair. The dog bit the officer, ran off the porch, turned around and came back and attacked the officer again before the officer shot it. And it had already bit a neighbor.

Madness

Aggressive dog that is about to bite and is injuring people, even as a HUGE animal lover and dog lover, okay, put him down.

But more often than not, police are innocently shooting animals especially dogs because they perceive them as a threat even though they're not.

Just last month I watched a video where an officer responded to an alarm break in, goes into the backyard, ignores the beware of dog sign, and just unloads a clip into a mini pinscher that was just curious. Old lady comes out and asks did you just kill my dog etc.

Hugstable

Banned

Did you watch the video? He actually held out til the dogs attacked him a second time. It's a really sad situation but it wasn't like the police officer just walked up to some dog that was barking and shot it, it attacked him twice.

Just last month I watched a video where an officer responded to an alarm break in, goes into the backyard, ignores the beware of dog sign, and just unloads a clip into a mini pinscher that was just curious. Old lady comes out and asks did you just kill my dog etc.

That sounds terrible. I'm glad I didn't watch that :(

Seems justified to me.

Sad, but the dog was vicious and had already attacked a neighbor, which was why the officer was there in the first place.

Volimar

Guys I wasn't posting it as part 2958 of the ongoing Police Brutality series on GAF. I was just sharing a shocking story from my hometown. I'm not saying the officer was in the wrong.

Paracelsus

I see nothing wrong here.

Dog was attacking him. What was he supposed to do?

Even if he stopped the dog was as good as dead. Two attacks, one of which was an officer. The only thing I didn't get from the video was: she was in between the door, the officer was holding the knob, and them both burst through like nothing. I'm just glad the other dog wasn't killed in the process, judging by the story sounds like it was just tagging along for fun.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm kind of surprised the woman owner wasn't screaming or anything that her dog got killed. She must have known how aggressive it was.

akira28

Even if he stopped the dog was as good as dead. Two attacks, one of which was an officer. The only thing I didn't get from the video was: she was in between the door, the officer was holding the knob, and them both burst through like nothing. I'm just glad the other dog wasn't killed in the process, judging by the story sounds like it was just tagging along for fun.

little dog was egging him on. she's the real mastermind behind the biting spree. it will happen again.

I'm kind of surprised the woman owner wasn't screaming or anything that her dog got killed. She must have known how aggressive it was.

she wasn't the owner. she just lives there, she says. The dog dragged her across a yard, clinging to the leash, to bite the first guy. That dog would at least be arrested for domestic violence.

Volimar

That had to be terrifying for the woman. They weren't her dogs and she was like 3 feet away when the officer shot his gun.

akira28

The officer did nothing wrong from what I'm reading on here, but there's absolutely no way I can watch that video.

lady answers door, talks to cop, two dogs interrupt them, bursting through the door like one of them had a warrant. sound of dog barking, sounding aggressive, slight pause, sound of officer cursing, beeped out. Slight focus on a tiny little dog, which is confusing as fuck until you read the article, more loud vicious sounding barking and then sounds of gunshots. more cursing and 'pain sounds', radio call reporting gunshots and dogbite.

I've had a few dogs chase me. It's a bit startling. You don't know what they could have especially if they are aggressive, rabies being the big one. I'm not going to risk my life for an irresponsible owner's pet.

How much empathy is someone supposed to show to a dog that's already dragged it's owner across the yard to bite one person, bite another person, and is coming back to bite the second person again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom