• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Spider-Man 2 street-date has been broken, have you played it?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Just noticing impressions in a lot of different places on the web. I guess a few Best Buys and other stores have copies already and a few have sold it. Sounds good, anyone given it a try yet? Wondering if yet another good movie game has been made this year.

Rockman

Not very impressed so far. I remember the graphics being better in the first. This time around there is pop up and the colors and character models ( spidey not included ) look crappy. But I do like the improvements in controlling spidey during swinging sessions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Rockman said:
Not very impressed so far. I remember the graphics being better in the first. This time around there is pop up and the colors and character models ( spidey not included ) look crappy. But I do like the improvements in controlling spidey during swinging sessions.

Obviously, this has to do with the size of the map. The city is MUCH larger than before AND allows you full freedom (ie - you can climb atop every building and run along every street).

I don't own it, but a friend of mine purchased it yesterday...

B'z-chan

Banned
Just tell me if its worth it. I was kind of looking forward to this game. As i liked the first spidy movie game.

Vibri

Banned
The fact that the publisher has apparently forbidden ANY media to review this game before it streets, might give you an idea. Hell, this deserves its own thread.

Psymon

I haven't played the absolutely final retail version, but from what I heard from the Activision rep (I tried it at a press-event) it was pretty close to the final build. From what I played I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much and left the demo kiosk with a positive impression. Graphically it was okay, but nothing extraordinary. The fighting was fluid and pretty fun... And also very repetitive. The boss battle with
Shocker
seemed rather dull, but on the other hand the
Mysterio
rambles had some air-platforming with puzzle elements in them (I love puzzle-platforming!).

I got the feeling that Spider-Man 2 tried to be some kind of mix between the Grand Theft Auto series and Tony Hawk's Underground too much instead of trying out new ideas.
Oh well, I said that I was pleasantly surprised, didn't I? "So, what's so great about Spider-Man 2? You've been nitpicking on it all the time!" you maybe ask. Listen now: in my opinion the swinging is GREAT! It was simply so much fun swinging up, down, left, right, left again, up again, down again, right again, climb up the Empire State Building and then skydiving all the way down, starting a new swing right before you hit the ground and crashing right into a window and as a result of this - falling down, getting up and continuing your adventure once again. Shortly: it's all about the swing! :D
Note that these only are my impressions from a ~20-30 minute long playtest, so some things may change to the better (or worse, perhaps?). :)

And oh, I found this thread over at TXB (impressions from someone who's gotten the game early + 3 in-game movies):
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=273501

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Vibri said:
The fact that the publisher has apparently forbidden ANY media to review this game before it streets, might give you an idea. Hell, this deserves its own thread.
Eh? If it's available in stores, there's not a damn thing Activision can do, legally, to anyone who chooses to put up a review. Withholding future games as punishment, however, comes to mind.

Agent X

Vibri said:

I think this may have been done with other video games that were released simultaneously with the movies that they were based on. The logic behind preventing advance reviews of these games is that the video game follows the story of the movie so closely that the video game review might end up revealing important plot or storyline points of the movie before it appears in theaters.

Fusebox

Banned
>>The fact that the publisher has apparently forbidden ANY media to review this game before it streets, might give you an idea.

bishoptl said:
Eh? If it's available in stores, there's not a damn thing Activision can do, legally, to anyone who chooses to put up a review.

That's probably why he specified 'before it streets'.

I hope that clears up any confusion and thanks for your time!

Top Bottom