• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP : Ahoy Black Flag, the best Assassin's Creed...

...since Brotherhood that is.

A little backstory first : I got all the Assassin's Creed games. I hated the first one, when you remove the presentation and the setting (really, it's awesome to have an Arab country and protagonist in a video game once in a while), the game was boring and just the same mission type over and over again.
II was truly awesome. It corrected every gripe I had with the the first one and added variety, another awesome setting, a likeable, hero, etc /gushing.
Brotherhood is my favourite. It has less scope than II because of its limited area (Only Rome) but it was so much fun, and there was so much to do that wasn't boring.
Revelations was where I began to feel franchise fatigue. Plus, fucking tower defense, really ?
Hookblade was cool though
III, while it has imho its strenghs
The prologue with Haytham Kenway, the whole plot twist, the Abstergo attack in modern day, the setting, the boat
, it also had its faults (everything else). I struggled to finish it but sense some great potential from the naval gameplay.

Which brings us to IV Black Flag, which I just beat. The game was really great. I liked :

+ The protagonist, Edward Kenway, is a refreshing change from the previous main characters. He's a pirate : selfish, only cares about profit and rum, and just do whatever the hell he wants to
+ Speaking of pirates. He's a pirate assassin. I mean, how cool is that ?
+ The setting, the Carribean, is beautiful. I played it on PS4, and you feel that is a crossgen game, however the game was a treat to the eyes : from jungles to the lagoons, to the typical towns, everything looks good.
+ The feeling of uncharted territory and exploring is well done.
+ The sea gameplay, of fighting other ships, boarding them, fighting the Spanish and British soldiers, raiding sea forts, everything was good, albeit a little repetitive after 20 hours.
+ The pirate songs
+ The multiple languages you hear during gameplay, it made the game sound cosmopolitan.
+ Just sailing on the sea to the next destination, rescuing castaways, getting booty, is satisfying.
+ There is a good amount of things to do : hunting, wailing, minigames, underwater exploration for treasure.
+ The freeruning has been improved in the natural environments.
+ The presentation of the modern day segments, as an employee of Abstergo Entertainment, was quite well done imho.
+
The ending in the theater with Haytham, which was a nice callback to ACIII's beginning
+ You can SKIP
part of
the credits. In a Ubisoft game ! [/megaton]

But it has some downsides :
- It really feels at moments like two games mashed in one, and the assassin side is a little boring at times.
- The story is kind of weak and disjointed.
- While I really enjoy the present-day story and overarching plot
I fully assume this statement
, the hacking gets old really fast. Like at the second minigame they force you to do. Also, the overall plot has not progressed. Which makes me sad.
- I still hate with a passion that freerunning and climbing are merged and you activate climbing with only the right trigger instead of trigger+button. I can't count the number of times Edward did something I did not want him to.
- The game is still buggy. I stopped counting the number of times Edward fell because of something unrelated and I accidentally killed someone down below instead of the guy I was fighting on the roofs. Also at times Edward wouldn't get in combat mode, which got me killed several times.
- Tailing missions. Everyone hates them.
- Also, multiplayer trophies. Everyone hates them
I would have loved get a platinum for this game if not for this
- Ubisoft really should improve the Assassination gameplay, give to it more variety and/or revamp it.
-
I thought we were going to kill Woodes Rogers in London

So, if you're like me and did not like AC3, you should give 4 a go. It really has a chance to please you.
So now, with all that said, I ponder if I should get Unity when it gets cheaper or if I should wait for Rogue to come to current-gen(which it definitely is...right guys ?)

I would agree that it's a pretty fine game if they removed all the tailing missions.

But man, I feel like 50% of the game was tailing missions.

Rembrandt

Banned
Why do people hate multiplayer?

OP said multiplayer trophies which always fucking suck. AC has amazing multiplayer, though.

Black Flag was a lot of fun, but even then I couldn't finish it. The series just isn't for me, but the most gameplay really made me want a new sid meiers pirates.

I would agree that it's a pretty fine game if they removed all the tailing missions.

I felt like that too, especially in the second half of the game where I felt there was a tailing segment every two missions.

Hell, I'd rather take ship tailing missions than on foot ones.

Rezae

I watched a pirate documentary last night on History H2 channel, and I really want to play this now. Seems like it's never had that great of a sale on PC, and I will probably grab a PS4 next month, so I think I'll grab this with my PS4 (among other games). From what I remember reading the PS4 version was pretty solid.

As a disclaimer, the only Assassin's Creed game I've played was about 6 hours of AC2. Thought it was decent, but I've just never gotten into the series for whatever reason (along with most Ubi action/adventure games).

What's better than tailing somebody? Tailing somebody...
while on your ship! LOL

Game is great, I'm glad for the ground sections it continued using the engine from AC III. The sea stuff is great, too. I love upgrading the ship and feeling powerful, until you run into
the legendary ships.
When that happens, prepare to get "pwned."

Kenway himself is not that great but the supporting cast is awesome.

Great game overall, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody.

Black Flag was a tremendous surprise for me.

To be honest, initially I had no interest in it. I only bought it because:

-it was the PS4 launch and in my excitement I wanted an open world game, so I got it.
-Watch Dogs missed the PS4/X1 launch period. I originally wanted to go with the new IP vs. yet another Assassin's Creed, but WD's delay forced my hand.

In the end, I'm so glad things worked out the way it did. WD turned out to be very underwhelming to me and Black Flag turned out to be my favorite AC right next to AC2.

Needless to say, Unity was a let-down after Black Flag and I'm going to wait for a significant sale on Syndicate before I even consider getting it. I'm bummed that Rogue hasn't gotten/isn't getting a current gen version. I've heard good things about it.

Chippiez

Banned
AC IV was easily my favorite of the series. I skipped 3 after a couple hours in. It did nothing for me. AC:U was a game I *wanted* to love... so much. I tried to play it. I think I've put 10 or so hours in, but I cannot get immersed in a game that runs at 15 fps and hiccups every other frame. Why they couldn't release a decent patch post-release that took the crowd numbers down to a manageable number in exchange for a 30 fps lock, I'll never understand. I think what they had was probably pretty good from a content perspective, but the technical part of the game was such a mix. Still, it looked fantastic-- especially the lighting. In motion, however-- yikes. Here's hoping Victory runs well, but this year, I'll definitely wait for the DF frame-rate analysis before buying.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'll echo the sentiment that AC4 was better as a pirate game than assassin game. I hope we get something of the sort sometime this gen. It's been woefully underutilized these last two gens.

No, that Rare MMO thing doesn't count.

Griss

Such a good game. Surely Ubisoft are repurposing large parts of this to make a proper pirate game, they can't be blind to the wonderful reception this game got among gamers.

Take the lame assassin's stuff out and the game is a dream come true.

Roto13

I love this game. I was already a fan of the Assassin's Creed series but this game still managed to surprise me with how good it was. And the universe apparently wants me to have it, because I've gotten four free copies of it at various times. Three different versions.

As for the modern day stuff, it doesn't do as much as some of the previous games to push the story forward, but when you start Unity, you can see how they're building on some of the foundation laid by Black Flag's modern day stuff.

I don't know if Rogue is getting a current gen remaster at this point. I thought for sure it would be at E3, but it wasn't. I've been waiting for it, too, but I might just buy the PS3 version.

BigDug13

Yeah, it's been the high point of this franchise to date.

Pity Unity had to shit the bed right after.

I'm still shocked that AC Rogue hasn't been announced for current gen consoles as it has similar gameplay as Boack Flag. And Rogue was more expensive than Unity during the Steam sale. If my PC was better I probably would have bought it.

I'm currently playing it. Really enjoying it overall, but holy shit do I dislike the on-foot stuff. The controls are horrible, he frequently does what I don't want him to, the combat is extraordinarily tedious and it's still surprisingly buggy. I've had Edward caught in loops of performing the same attack over and over, I've been struck by a sword from about 8 foot away through solid objects, I've had Edward fall through a mast all the way down to the deck (really fucking annoying when you're taking on a big ship and die because of a goddamn glitch), I've been unable to draw my sword, and so on. But I almost forgive all of that because the environment is amazing, the sailing and ship physics are wonderful and I love the ship-to-ship battles. It's just a shame that it's got all of the godawful 'assassin' shit dragging it down.

EDIT - and holy fuck, I hate all of the Abstergo shit. It's so bad. I just want to rush past that utter bollocks and get back to the piratey stuff.

Its the best because it has the most non-AC content in the series. The boat is great, the on foot stuff is still janky as hell and is frankly, embarassing how just low budget some of the gameplay is.

Also, the boat stuff only remains fun for the first 800,000 times you have to board a ship and watch the same little cutscene over and over and over.

ryseing

Black Flag was a tremendous surprise for me.

To be honest, initially I had no interest in it. I only bought it because:

-it was the PS4 launch and in my excitement I wanted an open world game, so I got it.
-Watch Dogs missed the PS4/X1 launch period. I originally wanted to go with the new IP vs. yet another Assassin's Creed, but WD's delay forced my hand.

In the end, I'm so glad things worked out the way it did. WD turned out to be very underwhelming to me and Black Flag turned out to be my favorite AC right next to AC2.

Needless to say, Unity was a let-down after Black Flag and I'm going to wait for a significant sale on Syndicate before I even consider getting it. I'm bummed that Rogue hasn't gotten/isn't getting a current gen version. I've heard good things about it.

Heh. I also only picked up IV because of the WD delay. However I ended up loving both games.

To everyone who loved IV: GET ROGUE. The last gen version runs fine and is super cheap. I was bummed we didn't get a next gen port, but Rogue is worth digging out your old consoles for. Hopefully Ubi whitelists it for One BC. It's the true sequel to IV, and has the best characters from 3/4, and you get to play as a Templar. I cannot say enough good things. Just get it.

phaze

I really am baffled by the reception of this game as it might very well be the worst AC for me. The ship stuff gets boring after an hour, there's no interesting locales to visit, mission design is awful and the story outside of the few beats is similarly dreadful. I don't even remember what the modern stuff was about but I imagine that's for the better.

Its the best because it has the most non-AC content in the series. The boat is great, the on foot stuff is still janky as hell and is frankly, embarassing how just low budget some of the gameplay is.

Also, the boat stuff only remains fun for the first 800,000 times you have to board a ship and watch the same little cutscene over and over and over.

Oh my god; this so much! I wish there was a way or an upgrade you could buy that could make you take over an enemy ship without having to manually kill 20 guys and cough loudly twice and say the name of Bastion's mother every single goddamn time!

Having to sneaky follow a big ass boat in your own big ass boat was amazing.

I know, right? It's lucky that the guys in the boat ahead were wearing all wearing the Batman Begins batsuit so couldn't actually look behind to see the ship following 50 metres behind them!

I really am baffled by the reception of this game as it might very well be the worst AC for me. The ship stuff gets boring after an hour, there's no interesting locales to visit, mission design is awful and the story outside of the few beats is similarly dreadful. I don't even remember what the modern stuff was about but I imagine that's for the better.

It's about a bunch of self-important hipster arseholes flouncing around a needlessly ostentatious building.

My only issue with ACIV is that it is an Assassin's Creed game. I lost all will to play AC after Brotherhood (which I felt like a cash grab compared to 2) and never got back to the series (though I do have the games on PC thanks to sales) I got into BF expecting Ubisoft to actually do a good pirate game and that is what I got and why I love it. I hate the assassination parts and that you need to advance to certain point of the story to actually open all the activities and world for you. Still I love the game and love just sailing in the world and hear my crew singing.

Sande

Black Flag could have been a pretty sweet pirate game if the AC brand wasn't dragging it down so hard. Everything is always too simplified, automated and half-assed in AC games and the the assassination and future stuff felt very superfluous.

Loved the game, really really want a proper pirate sequel.
Black Flag could have been a pretty sweet pirate game if the AC brand wasn't dragging it down so hard. Everything is always too simplified, automated and half-assed in AC games and the the assassination and future stuff felt very superfluous.
Such a good game. Surely Ubisoft are repurposing large parts of this to make a proper pirate game, they can't be blind to the wonderful reception this game got among gamers.

Take the lame assassin's stuff out and the game is a dream come true.
Yeah I think everyone agrees on that. Ditch the Assassin stuff, make an awesome and boastful pirate game, with epic naval battles and a combat system that makes you feel like Jack Sparrow, and put some emphasis on discovering uncharted territories and getting some loot / artefacts / etc.

It would be like Wind Waker and Black Flag combined without the shitty stuff.

Yeah, no joke. I took lessons, joined a local yacht club, got picked up for a race team, and we race on Mondays.

I'm not confident enough to suggest we start singing sea shanties while racing though.
That makes me think about the time I wanted to practice skateboard thanks to THPS
it was painful

Yeah I think everyone agrees on that. Ditch the Assassin stuff, make an awesome and boastful pirate game, with epic naval battles and a combat system that makes you feel like Jack Sparrow, and put some emphasis on discovering uncharted territories and getting some loot / artefacts / etc.

It would be like Wind Waker and Black Flag combined without the shitty stuff.

Stop.. just stop. I can't get my hopes up again!

That new game from rare looks like it COULD scratch some of my Pirate itch, but I don't know enough to really make a judgement either way.

It seems like a no brainer to me for Ubisoft to make an epic pirate game though.. I would assume most of the groundwork is already laid down.

They could basically re-release the same game and I'd buy it again with a few changes..

#1 Larger map, more details. Completely open world would be interesting, if you could get out and walk across every body of land.

#2 More ships! ACIV started out cool, but by mid-way I wasn't seeing anything new and sinking the same vessels over and over got a little tiring.

#3 Cool pirate story would be aces. But really just giving me free reign on the oceans would almost be awesome enough.

To everyone who loved IV: GET ROGUE. The last gen version runs fine and is super cheap. I was bummed we didn't get a next gen port, but Rogue is worth digging out your old consoles for. Hopefully Ubi whitelists it for One BC. It's the true sequel to IV, and has the best characters from 3/4, and you get to play as a Templar. I cannot say enough good things. Just get it.

Hope this gets on the BC list ASAP because I really want to play this!

I really wanted to love this game. It's a time period I adore and want to see more of, it took the best component of AC3 and wrote it large, it was shaping up to be the best AC game for me. Then I played it. I usually greatly enjoy playing AC games, and have finished them all, but 4 just bored the living crap out of me. Nothing hooked me in beyond pirate sim, so I gave it up around sequence 6. I've tried a further three times to get into it, but nope. Real dissappointment for me, and I'm not sure it's the game's fault.

SteveTR

After ACIII, I expected to be disappointed. I really did. Then the game actually came out and I was pleasantly surprised. Who knew sailing from small island to small island could be this fun?

I would say Black Flag was the last AC game with a soul. Even though it was the first game which came out after the overarching plot was resolved, it still had a certain atmosphere about it. The sea shanties were a huge part of the experience, believe it or not.

But now, we're just gonna keep getting same-y 18th/19th century games that are still technically good but have no soul. Shame.

Half the game was really fun - the sailing parts, although the diving parts are trash. And ship stealth. And the ludicrous amount of worthless treasure chests to grab on small islands. Wait, maybe it wasn't very good after all.
The other half of the game is shit, probably the worst on land Assassin's Creed gameplay. You know what's terrible? Tailing missions. Good thing they make up nearly all of the on land missions!

So it's still the best AssCreed, given only half of it is bad as opposed to all of it like usual

DC1

It was also my favorite and only AC I completed. Loved it so much, I was compelled to platinum it.

Further, I greatly appreciate the attempt to communicate the Haitian African culture during that period.

Every step forward into the exploration of the difficult and nasty trueisms of history not only provides some education, but also inspires curiosity and encourages the next developer to step out a little further.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why do people hate multiplayer?

It was cool when it first came out, but then after that it was the same shit game after game. People give Call of Duty shit about copy and paste, but fuckin' A, AC multiplayer was literally that beyond different maps and 1 or 2 additional gametypes. Even recycled music. Not worth the time unless you're an achievement whore like myself or like the lore insight it gave.

Anyways, Black Flag was a lot of fun, and seemed like a clear historical period for AC to take. Story was good and naval combat is pretty fun at first. People say that this game is the least like AC are right, and to me, that's probably why I don't care for it so much. I liked the characters, and the Freedom Cry DLC is probably the best thing about the whole game. But no big cities and naval combat gets old real quick.

I still prefer ACIII to it.

aerts1js

I just bought this game on ps4 and started playing (skipped the initial update..2+ gig..wtf).. why does everything look so damn jaggy?

Top Bottom