• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Growlanser I aka "This is Tippi's World. We Just Live in It."

Welcome, children of the womb, to my LTTP thread for a game that I have been wanting to play ever since discovering that I wanted to play it.

Welcome to the LTTP Growlanser I thread. "I" as in the number "1," as in "numer uno," as in "konnichiwa."

Yes, the one that never got localized into the English languagiano. The one that time forget (except it didn't shut up).

Welcome to Tippi's Wild Ride.

DBHWA0OVYAEUhlb

So for a little bit of context, I made this LTTP thread for Growlanser IV a little over a month ago. After years and years of sitting on the series, I decided to finally play my Japanese copy of the PSP re-release, and ended up spending the following month adoring it. Much to my own surprise, series fans (hi Aeana) would stress to me that I absolutely had to go back and play the original Growlanser (the PSP remake), because while IV is good, the OG is a genuine PSX classic ass masterpiece classic diggity dang dong.

Needless to say, I was excited.

But after the hellish gauntlet that was the last few missions in GIV, I felt like I needed to put some time between games, so I picked up Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology and figured I'd play through that first. Five hours into that, and I could resist temptation no longer. To the Japanese PSN store I went, and it was there that money was spent.

I decided to make this LTTP thread early into my time with the game (I'm literally but a single hour in), and much to my surprise, there's already lots to talk about. I hope you'll listen. With your eyes. That read the text? I don't know what I'm saying.

The first thing that jumped out at me upon booting up the game was this lovely PSX era anime opening that gets me in the mood for a classic like no other.

Look at this opening.

Shout outs to the MC who has decided that he's going to start a new trend for how to wear jackets. Boy gives zero fucks. Respekt.

gl1-1.jpg

Anyway, the second thing that immediately leapt out to me was HOW MUCH BETTER THE OST IS THAN IV's. Noriyuki Iwadare is an incredible composer and it's so nice to go back to a game I missed and be confronted with brand new Iwadare beats.

Don't mind me, I'm just chilling to some SMOOTH FUCKING BEATS PLAYUH.

The third thing that leapt out at me was how much better the game looks when compared to IV. This is probably the weirdest change, simply because both games use 2D sprites. But what Growlanser does differently is that it doesn't do the weird prerendered shit that IV does, which means those old school backgrounds still look fantastic even today. I love it.

But perhaps the most important impression the game made on me was in its first big sequence, in which MC is given some cash to go out and get ready for his super duper cool trip. Mom is all "Hey something something the apocalypse take some money and have fun!" Tippi, your hateful sidekick fairy that wants to see you burn in hell, accompanies you on your trip into town, and you quickly discover that the place it FILLED with people who have no fucking idea how to live their lives.

"I'm looking for a weird store I heard about!" says a man. You lead him to an alleyway in which a proud shopkeeper proudly proclaims his shop to be in the most inconveniently located place ever. You bump into a girl who wants to shop for weapons but hurt her leg. She begs you to PUSH her up the stairs??? You intervene in a scuffle between two dudes in love with the same girl. They both end up getting rejected and then falling in love with a guardswoman on the eastern edge of town. You play with some kids who have their names erased because they're too difficult to say out loud. Thieves, treasure chest hunts, and old dudes who apparently have zero sense of direction are the order of the day.

So after you do all these things (successfully or unsuccessfully), you do your shopping and head back home, where you discover that Tippi has been monitoring and timing your every action. Did you take the drink that was sitting on the table in the empty storefront? Did you help people the right way? Did you take your sweet ass time? Tippi digs into you endlessly, and you soon discover that your actions in this opening section determine what your stats are.

It's fucking character creation.

I. Lost. My. Shit.

The whole sequence reminded me a lot of that opening bit in Chrono Trigger, only here it's integrated directly into the gameplay. And even better? If you think you could have gotten things done better, the game allows you to try again from the top without reseting. Smart game design.

So needless to say, I'm EXTREMELY excited to dig into this classic, and while I don't expect this thread to get much traffic (only a handful of people here have played this), I do hope to post my progress and get as many people interested into the series as possible. This is shaping up to be an amazing ride.

Just remember: this is Tippi's world. We just live in it.

gaiages

Banned
Ooo, that sounds exciting OP! The character creation reminds me a bit of how you get your character's personality in Dragon Quest III (which determines stat growth). You have to do 2 or 3 situations (randomized each time) and your reactions to said situations help determine who you are, essentially. I thought that was pretty neat! This seems a bit more in depth than that, though.

I've always been interested in Growlanser, but I've never been able to really been able to really, well, get any of the games (in terms of consoles/portables owned). I'll be watching your progress, at least :3

Damn, Julian is a total babe. I see Growlanser's penchant for beautiful dudes was there from the beginning.

Friendship ended with Remus. Julian is now my new BFF.

Man, Iwadare's soundtrack here is so good. It's classic as hell and really enhances the experience in a way that I felt was missing from the excellent GIV. Loving it.

Also, a lot of the character animation in this seems a lot better than GIV despite the smaller sized sprites?? Genuinely surprised by how much nicer this first game looks.

Aeana

This game is a legitimate masterpiece that belongs in any classic RPG list. I love it so much and I'm glad you're playing it now! I'll be watching closely to see your impressions.

WarRock

But perhaps the most important impression the game made on me was in its first big sequence, in which MC is given some cash to go out and get ready for his super duper cool trip. Mom is all "Hey something something the apocalypse take some money and have fun!"
I'm going to need some more details about this.

So wish there was a fan translation for this...I'd play it in an instant. I love the NPC interactions in these games, they definitely add a lot of charm to the game. And yeah, the soundtrack is really nice. Shame Atlus doesn't care about this IP anymore.

Aeana

So wish there was a fan translation for this...I'd play it in an instant. I love the NPC interactions in these games, they definitely add a lot of charm to the game. And yeah, the soundtrack is really nice. Shame Atlus doesn't care about this IP anymore.
There is a full script translation on GameFAQs. Sadly, I think that's the best it'll ever get.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Only ever played a little bit of Growlanser IV. Never really sat down and committed to playing it for more than maybe the first two hours. So many of the earlier games not being available in English kinda dampens my excitement to play this. I should get to it sometime (like always).

Given how Atlus likes to port everything over and over, it'd be nice to get new versions of the games in this series that actually get localized (completely...), but it seems chances are low. What you described in the OP sounds interesting.

Is this series dead, btw.? It seems even in Japan the last proper new game was on PS2?

I'm going to need some more details about this.

You find out pretty early on as the player that the MC has basically been stuck in town since he was picked up by his adopted mom. When she decides to let him go on a little journey of self discovery, she basically tells him that he could have turned out super evil and fucked, which is why she kept him close and tried to raise him properly.

Cuz apparently he can either be the harbinger of the apocalypse or the light that saves the world WHOOPS.

Thanks mom.

Man, still can't get over how good Iwadare's OST is on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dii2TjaA2g&index=17&list=PLA067DBED147DBF51

It just gets me ready to go bust some heads every single time.

Been slowly but steadily making progress through the game. My boy Julian just left my party (tho he was AI the whole time), and I already miss his dashing looks and beauty. Now I gotta go save mom cuz some assassins poisoned the fuck out of her, and only the flying angel people might know how to fix her.

Damn angel people.

I adored Growlanser IV, but I'm already enjoying this way way more.

Also I Tippi is actually the best. Which is good, because holy shit she's found her way into every facet of the game's UI.

SAVE CHUUUUUUU.

OKAAAAAAY.

Carmelozi

Hey I saw the LTTP thread for Growlanser IV and I'm really interested. I have a Growlanser on my PS store which is Wayfarer of Time, is it good?
Anyway, I'll follow your adventure!

Shouta

I was super attached to my fairy in IV, but Tippi is on a whole nother level.

She's such an asshole, and she has the best expressions.

Two of them in GL4 are modeled after the other Familiars in GL, namely GL1 and GL3. The long-haired one was original to that game. I like them all for differing reasons but yeah, Tippi is a huge asshole which is sorta awesome.

Two of them in GL4 are modeled after the other Familiars in GL, namely GL1 and GL3. The long-haired one was original to that game. I like them all for differing reasons but yeah, Tippi is a huge asshole which is sorta awesome.

I was not expecting her to be an asshole to almost everyone she meets. Just got to the magic academy, and she's just laying into everyone we meet. lol

How did I miss this up until now? Subbing.

Anyway, I agree that the music in this one is far superior to IV. It's not that IV has a bad soundtrack, it just isn't that memorable, while Iwadare's music, as always, has style. Personally though, my favorite battle theme from the game is "Time Is Now" rather than "Can't Go Back."

I still can't believe Atlus passed this game up for localization not once but twice. Growlanser V was good enough to localize but this wasn't? Granted, from what I hear (zillionth-hand) company politics probably played a role in the decision to localize V. Still, as Johnny Turbo would say, compared to this Growlanser V, well, doesn't even compare!! I did my feeble part to help the situation by doing some editing work on borgor's script (mad props to the guy for translating a game from Japanese to English when neither is his native language).

My main complaints about the game are technical in nature. Things like characters moving kinda slowly in battle and the movement system being a little clunky. The story's also a little slow to really get going but the opening part is entertaining enough that I'll happily deal with it.

Oh, and Julian is totally the best character, not just in this game but the entire series.

Top Bottom