• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max Game Informer Details

Denzar

Good to hear (haha, I wrote "here")that this game has a spin on the "climb to the top of tower/mountain/building/elevated position to reveal all points of interest on the map for that area" aka Ubisoft open world map discovery game mechanic template.

DieH@rd

Banned
Here are the images for users who live in countries that fucking Game Informer is not activley IP blocking:

madmax_convoy_1014_10sxkgm.jpg

madmax_jeetstrongholdorkht.jpg

Killzig

Those screens even look like Ubisoft bullshots. I'm in for Mad Max / post apoc stuff, but this game sounds like an absolute chore.

DOWN

Banned
Sucks that it was cross gen for no reason for most of development. Almost all of the burden with nothing to show.

Still really excited for it.

FrankWza

im reading some if these comments and wondering if theyve even seen a mad max movie.
this game sounds pretty spot on to me. I say it gets delayed or moved up. its in the path of a monster. I know we'll get a bunch of anti mgs buyers or people who say avalanche showed Kojima blah blah blah but seriously, thats a tough release date for them.

DOWN

Banned
im reading some if these comments and wondering if theyve even seen a mad max movie.
this game sounds pretty spot on to me. I say it gets delayed or moved up. its in the path of a monster. I know we'll get a bunch of anti mgs buyers or people who say avalanche showed Kojima blah blah blah but seriously, thats a tough release date for them.
Praying it moves up two weeks and they get to influence the film to hit on Blu Ray the week between it and MGS V. That would be godsend timing and readjustment for Avalanche.

FrankWza

Praying it moves up two weeks and they get to influence the film to hit on Blu Ray the week between it and MGS V. That would be godsend timing and readjustment for Avalanche.

good idea. get out in front of it. should mean better sales instead of trying to ride the coat tails. especially since its single player only and mgs has mgo.

Simo

Sucks that it was cross gen for no reason for most of development. Almost all of the burden with nothing to show

Well they began development in 2008 for PS3/360 and it was supposed to be a 2012 release but the delay of the film kept pushing back the game because George Miller wanted both the film and game to be released close to each other. He was even quoted in a interview saying he'd be prepared to delay the release of the film to finish the game but as fate would have it everything worked backwards on that. lol

Then Corey Barlog left the project in 2012 who was the Game Director and Frank Rooke took over and over the various delays the current crop of new consoles came along making the systems they were originally developing for obsolete. There's a nice side bar in the mag about the benefits of sticking with just current gen.

Wasn't this game originally produced by KMM in Australia?

KMM owns the Mad Max license and while they wanted to develop the game in house they didn't actually have a studio and team to do so which is why WB/Miller/Barlog took the project to Avalanche to develop.

Any who my print edition arrived today so I got to read the full article. Nice to see Max's in-game model has improved from the gameplay reveal trailer. I liked this note about the GI staff toying with the harpoon during their playtest:
The longshot sniper rifle looked pretty cool during the hands-off demo, but I don’t use it much. Instead, I find myself relying – some might say over relying – on the harpoon. When upgraded it allows players to do a variety of devious things, such as yanking off enemy tires (eff- ectively taking the crippled car out of play),
pulling people from the driver’s seat, or simply impaling anyone on foot.

One of the highlights comes when I am pulling a guy behind me and step on the brakes. He is propelled forward, and smacks into a spike-covered War Boy enemy car. He sticks. Later, I latch onto a car’s tire and his buddy drives between me and the car. The second driver plows into the cable, yank- ing the other car’s tire free. Thanks, I guess.

Apparently some of the locations like the lighthouse and other strongholds while they look pretty rough at first if you choose to help the occupants with various missions, it in turn benefits Max as these places begin to not only cosmetically improve but the occupants will help Max with more resources like scraps, food and water.

One particular stronghold you can help and how they've developed the world involves Maggot Farms - wastelanders who live there and willingly lose a limb to farm maggots for food and protein since there's no vegetation and little wildlife the source of food, and ultimate health for Max, is scarce.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Pretty excited for this. Just watched The Road Warrior for the first time last night, and the game is giving me heavy RDR vibes. Please don't disappoint!

DOWN

Banned
Well they began development in 2008 for PS3/360 and it was supposed to be a 2012 release but the delay of the film kept pushing back the game because George Miller wanted both the film and game to be released close to each other. He was even quoted in a interview saying he'd be prepared to delay the release of the film to finish the game but as fate would have it everything worked backwards on that. lol

Then Corey Barlog left the project in 2012 who was the Game Director and Frank Rooke took over and over the various delays the current crop of new consoles came along making the systems they were originally developing for obsolete. There's a nice side bar in the mag about the benefits of sticking with just current gen.
Well, some of that was from when the game and movie were closely associated. They split off a while back, and cross gen hurt the game overall at this point imo.
Pretty excited for this. Just watched The Road Warrior for the first time last night, and the game is giving me heavy RDR vibes. Please don't disappoint!
Yep, RDR vibes from Mad Max stuff to me too.

nynt9

Honestly, a lot of this reads like textbook open world game design, and the worst aspects of it. Not sold based on what we've seen so far.

Simo

I know that it's the Mad Max aesthetic, but I hope they have some more variety then just "desert" in the open world.

They talk about it in the article. Here's the excerpt:
During the drive, I gain a better appreciation for how much visual variety the artists have put into the game. Based on the initial trailer and assump- tions about the franchise, I expected to tool around in a vast, featureless desert. There’s much more going on in the Wasteland.

Senior producer John Fuller says the game’s concept artist took inspiration from an unlikely source: fantasy art. “He was very keen to get striking colors and breathtaking vistas with dramatic sunsets and skylines and that sort of stuff – dramatic and eye-catching silhouettes for rock formations and cliffs and mantles,” Fuller says. “He has been inspired by fantasy, which wouldn’t necessarily be an auto- matic source for a Mad Max title, but it was important for us to create a rich, immersive Wasteland that captures your eye all the time.”

The dried-up seabed I’m exploring gave the team a chance to surprise players. In one region, for example, the terrain is filled with weird stone structures that burp sulfurous gas. “We’ve seen all of those interesting locations from underwater volcanic activities – that’s a thing that exists in our world,” Nedfors says. “If you took away the water, how would that look? That’s kind of the thought behind that area. It creates a possibility for us to do some- thing different visually that still is a wasteland.”

They also note exploring sea caves and a old subway tunnel system from the Great White.

DOWN

Banned
They talk about it in the article. Here's the excerpt:

They also note exploring sea caves and a old subway tunnel system from the Great White.
I hope it doesn't have sucky Shadow of Mordor aesthetics. That game unfortunately took cues from the overly CGI-d Hobbit films that have often been criticized for looking like video games instead of professional cinema.

KiraXD

I hope it doesn't have sucky Shadow of Mordor aesthetics. That game unfortunately took cues from the overly CGI-d Hobbit films that have often been criticized for looking like video games instead of professional cinema.

so you dont want it looking like a video game?

DOWN

Banned
so you dont want it looking like a video game?
Like fake as hell with bad physics? No thanks. Original LOTR trilogy is much prettier and better styled than The Hobbit trilogy. There's aesthetics to aim for in games, and it's ignorant to attempt to have two unrelated mediums when it comes to games and film.

hydruxo

Where Is Mad Max’s Wasteland, And Does It Fit With The Films?

env_concept_wasteland_05.jpg

During our visit to Avalanche Studios’ offices, I spent hours exploring the Wasteland. That meant that I experienced Mad Max’s day/night cycle several times over. Senior producer John Fuller pointed out that the night sky featured a meticulously accurate recreation of what you’d see in the Southern Hemisphere. I’d heard the team mention it a few times, but it seemed like a perfect time to ask outright: Where exactly is the Wasteland? We’re in Australia, right? Not really, it turns out.

George Miller directed his films in Australia, so it’s a natural assumption that the game would be set there, too. That location worked in movie-length adventures, but games require a different approach – especially large, open worlds. The creative team at Avalanche didn’t want to pen themselves into a particular place, since it was important that players explored a variety of terrain and not just an endless desert. That decision also gave them freedom to create the backstory to their Wasteland, which they did – to a point.

“We don’t know where it is in the world,” says senior game director Emil Kraftling. “The player doesn’t know where it is in the world. The people in the world hardly know where it is in the world. There’s a sense of mystery to the Wasteland.”

DOWN

Banned
Not specifically no but the cover story mentioned it taking a fair bit to get from one location to the next.
Let's pray they don't make the annoying mistake that Red Dead and Skyrim make of having zero uninhabited areas. If I'm supposed to be out in the desert or wild, don't make it so I can see a building or ruin somewhere in view at all times like those two games did. I want to ride for a couple of minutes in the desert without it telling me there's a camp or town close by like Skyrim. In red dead, there weren't any spaces to ride around where you couldn't see a building or two. That sucked and killed any illusion of it being a big expanse.

Simo

Car customization is nice and I hope for customization for Max too,
some different suits.

Reading OXM and it sounds like you can. They talk about upgrading his gear and stats which in turn unlocks the ability for executions, weapons or different gear and outfits, like say some gloves decked out with plate steel for better melee damage.

OXM goes to compare and say Mad Max's melee combat DNA is made up from different games such as Batman: Arkham, Mordor, Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. Like Batman's fluid combat and counter system, Mordor's executions, Uncharted's contextual combat and AC with being able to fight and disarm enemies of their weapons and then use them until they break.

You can use the sawn-off shotgun but ammo is scarce and when you aim you're unable to move ala Resident Evil.

Raptor

Reading OXM and it sounds like you can. They talk about upgrading his gear and stats which in turn unlocks the ability for executions, weapons or different gear and outfits, like say some gloves decked out with plate steel for better melee damage.

OXM goes to compare and say Mad Max's melee combat DNA is made up from different games such as Batman: Arkham, Mordor, Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. Like Batman's fluid combat and counter system, Mordor's executions, Uncharted's contextual combat and AC with being able to fight and disarm enemies of their weapons and then use them until they break.

You can use the sawn-off shotgun but ammo is scarce and when you aim you're unable to move ala Resident Evil.

God damn, this sounds better and better, cant wait for E3 to see it finally!

Simo

Here's the OXM details and i threw a few quotes from the article:
  • In regards to open world exploration, points of interest and other title comparisons:
    "It’s an open-world experience that we recognise, but one that doesn’t aim for Assassin’s Creed’s map-saturating, no-effort points of interest. it’s more a case that wherever you go, something’s always happening, or you can make something happen. every time you think you’re heading off to do one thing, you’ll likely end up being distracted by something entirely different.
  • No flying vehicles like the Gyrocopter.
  • When you get the Magnum Opus it's pretty much a skeleton. Avalanche want you to create your own ultimate car and war machine and that doesn't necessarily equate to upgrading every part with the best possible upgrade. There's no optimal car.
  • OXM's thoughts on the driving:
    That feeling, that in among the usual tangle of open-world systems sits a proper driving game, is our favourite part of Mad Max so far. the cars are meticulously designed, with an incredible focus on the handling model and real-world physics of each one. Well-armoured vehicles are more sluggish, but ram with devastating force and become harder to roll. Faster, more vulnerable cars will suffer from direct contact, but make using secondary weapons (handled by chumbucket in the back, with ultra slow-motion added to help your aim) feel more efficient and valuable.

where most open-world car chases devolve into scrappy,hard-to-control, one-on-one contests,avalanche has made something that feels more akin to the films the game is based on – drawn-out, adrenaline-rush gauntlets that have you sideswiping enemies into scenery, bursting tyres, avoiding hijackers and finally, triumphantly, watching your target explode in a huge cloud of scrap – which can then be used to make your car even better.
  • Ammo is scarce so when you engage enemies it's mostly hand to hand combat but again you can use shivs along with clubs and other weapons you can disarm of enemies or find laying around. Max isn't Batman so he can't just vault across a room to take people out so evasion along with blocking is needed and some enemies are just too tough to scrap with. For those guys you'll need to either lure them in to traps or simply wait for them to be exhausted.
  • You can build up and upgrade Max. Learn more combat moves and abilities like executions, find and upgrade his gear and more.
  • Strongholds or camps are detailed again. Described similar to Far Cry, these places range from old prisons, makeshift homes, forts, scrap storage yards etc.
  • One of the enemy camps they encountered was a old oil drilling platform with the main gate protected by 2 flamethrower mounts, sniper watchtowers and 3 guards patrolling. They killed the guards with the car and deactivated the flamethrowers by following their fuel lines to the source of hidden tanks. One of the sniper towers was blown up with the Thunderpoon which resulted in the collapsing tower colliding with the other watch tower and taking it out. Once in the camp and courtyard the rest of the gang will come out to engage you. Some camps have War Criers in watchtowers who if they see you will alert the whole camp which in turn gives the enemies a damage buff. The camp is also booby trapped that you'll have to deal with too or use them against the gang.
  • At last count there's over 200 unique locations in the wasteland including the camps.
  • Avalanche also created a timeline and concept art for Mad Max's world before the collapse and apocalypse but wouldn't reveal them to OXM.
  • Max isn't a big talker like the films.
  • Weather conditions can completely change things up. Heres OXM's explanations:
    Sun
    The Wasteland’s default state is cloudless and clear, heat haze your only obstacle to seeing all the way to the horizon. It’s harsh, hot and perfect for clubbing bad guys.
    WIND
    Wind is a physical thing in Mad Max, which can be both cosmetic and practical – the right gust might kick up a dust cloud from down the road, indicating a nearby convoy.
    Storms
    Storms are terrifying. Walls of sand kicked up by gales bear down on you, before you’re enveloped and get to watch your own personal lightshow as lightning arcs through the cloud.
    Night
    You might want to wait until the next night to pop out again. at which point you find out how beautiful this vicious world becomes by moonlight, and how easy it is to be ambushed.
    All of the above
    the beauty of the reactive weather systems is that you won’t just notice them, you have to contend with them. every change can alter how you play or where you want to go.
  • Day/Night cycle is 2 hours in real time.
  • Night time brings out entirely new enemies to contend with and greater chances of ambushes.
  • You can only carry 1 jerry can of fuel in the Magnum Opus. Great if you run out of juice but you can also use that can as a make shift grenade too.
  • The game’s designed as a seamless series of events..
    .. from emergent vehicle chases that lead to on-ground combat when you crash, to a trudge through the desert for fuel that leads to discovering a wandering mission-giver, or a fight in a camp where you find a hauler covered in scrap. Every action can lead to another, endlessly, simultaneously sending you up upgrade trees, reaping rewards for simply playing how you want to.
  • OXM didn't get to see some gameplay elements like the legendary car schematics or the Legend system which "turns achievement hunting into a stat-building exercise".
  • You can unlock and care for a Dog side kick!

Closing comments from Avalanche about the nature of the game and the Wasteland:
“everything out in the wasteland is operating on its own terms,” says Rooke. “we’re not saying ‘there’s a car combat moment here’, ‘this person shows up there’ – it’s operating on its own rules. You may be driving around, nothing’s happening, getting a false sense of security, then all of a sudden a convoy shows up, and there are six or eight cars you have to deal with.

“or you see something alongside the road, you jump out of your car to see
if there’s something to scavenge, and a couple of guys jump out of the sand and all of a sudden you’re under attack. then on top of that, a couple of snipers show up and start taking shots at you. Suddenly, you’re 20 feet away from your car, which is your
safe haven, and that 20 feet seems like a very long way.”

Here's a couple of random events the guys at Avalanche did or encountered themselves that OXM talk about:
“Every now and then when I do a convoy, my car gets wrecked. I get out of the vehicle, someone else in the convoy stops, then I just steal their car and go after the convoy leader – then a sniper in the distance shoots out my tyre and I tumble around, so
I call for Chumbucket, he drives up and I can continue the fight.” Emil Kraftling,senior game designer

“We’ve got the Boombug, which is like an exploding suicide car – so if that comes up next to you and sets all its fuel on fire, you might want to take out his wheels so you can get away. Or you could harpoon the driver, pull him out, steal the car and run it into a camp.”
Alex Williams, senior game designer

“We have big characters all over the place. You could meet somebody interestingwhenyouleastexpectit – you could meet some lonely wanderer out there, walking around thirsty.” Frank Rooke, game director

Top Bottom