• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

bryanee

Exactly what I thought.

the poor guys who were hyped for this because of the movie...

They can still be hyped. A review in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean a damn thing. I haven't read a single review in years and don't intend too ever again.

I'll form my own opinion when it arrives in a couple of days.

Salsa

You can't even ignore these generic sidequests. At numerous points in the main campaign, the game will lock the next story mission until you've completed a certain amount of busywork. Likewise, many of the best car upgrades are locked behind certain open-world milestones.

welp. there it goes to the summer sale fodder

TheMan

Have to say I'm disappointed by the mixed reaction. I really expected this to review better. Given that my funds are limited and MGS doesn't really do it for me, tomorrow is gonna just another Tuesday (albeit extra painful at work for other reasons...)

De_Legend

Banned
Who thought it had something to do with the movie? That never once crossed my mind.

Ok?

After the movie released, a bunch of people were hyped even more for the game maybe thinking it would be as good or something like that. I'm not saying the game is crap or anything, it's a good little game.

bryanee

Ok?

After the movie released, a bunch of people were hyped even more for the game maybe thinking it would be as good or something like that. I'm not saying the game is crap or anything, it's a good little game.

Maybe for some people it will be as good and as much fun.

so it's not going to break out like SoM did. doesn't really matter, WB is already making bank for this year.

Well. This game is more fun than Shadow of Mordor, imo. Both games don't offer good characters or a good story, both games are using a similar combat system. One of them has better graphics, more sidequests, a huge wasteland and brutal finishers. And that's Mad Max.

dLMN8R

Good to know. Glad I don't have moral standards that high. People killing each other is cool, but having a hostage is no bueno.

My distaste over this game's boring use of tropes has absolutely nothing to do with "morals", nor does Phil's review at Polygon hint at anything of the sort.

The reviews are exactly what I expected. I think this will be one of those games that's actually better than the reviews indicate, however, and that many of us will look back on fondly well after the dust has settled.

I figured this would be a good purchase down the road since Metal gear is out tomorrow

If a mad max game x fury road combo pack releases in the states I'll buy it

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Seems the reviews range from 5 to 8.4. The 5 from Polygon and 6 from GameSpot and that other no name site is what's actually hurting the game. Otherwise, it would be closer to an 8 average which isn't bad at all.

Some people here comparing the melee in Batman to Mad Max isn't completely fair to Mad Max simply because he's not wearing a suit that enhances his abilities and isn't flying around the screen hitting every enemy in one motion. I played Arkham Knight and im pretty sure that I will enjoy the melee in Mad Max a lot more because it more close and personal, brutal and high impact which is what im looking for.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of options in the options menu. Personally, im happy that there's no difficulty level because I like it when games get harder as you progress through the game. And once you get used to the combat and whatnot, even on the hardest difficulty levels, few gamers have trouble.

There should be and on/off option for the HUD and all the on screen pop ups including when enemies are going to attack. Also think that there should have been a stamina bar for when running. Besides that, can't think of any others but they'll come to me when I watch the intro and first 29 minutes later for the tenth or so time.

Biggest complaint is the fact that you don't die when getting hit head on by a car and the little health you lose when getting tapped by an oncoming car. Funny thing is that with a good detailed patch, the majority of negatives that im reading in reviews would be eliminated.

Oh well. I already pre-ordered the game this past Friday and am picking up in the morning at Best Buy. Regardless of reviews, im far more hyped, pumped and excited for Mad Max than any other game this year.

Let the looting, fighting, exploring, scavenging, car combat and just having fun begin!!! :)

Well. This game is more fun than Shadow of Mordor, imo. Both games don't offer good characters or a good story, both games are using a similar combat system. One of them has better graphics, more sidequests, a huge wasteland and brutal finishers. And that's Mad Max.

The best thing about Mordor though, and the one thing that made me come back to it was the nemesis system. This at least seems to have a fun mode of transport, something Mordor was lacking. I just wish they both had friendly outposts, something to add a little variety, instead of constant battles. I haven't played this, so they could be in there.

Not really feeling the MGS V hype and I was hoping this would be an alternative for the next couple of weeks, I still might pick it up but would like to try first.

The reviews are exactly what I expected. I think this will be one of those games that's actually better than the reviews indicate, however, and that many of us will look back on fondly well after the dust has settled.

Kind of like that Wolverine game? That would be nice.

I'm not going to try to justify my purchase just yet. I had basically free money to toss at something I thought looked good in the playthroughs. All I can say right now is that the content of the reviews is such that it seems like this is more my style of game than theirs but I won't know truly until I play. I doubt I will ever tire of Batman style combat although this take on it isn't as flippy or as fluid. I even saw some wrestling moves in there like a suplex. The quest design, however, I think I can live with. I'm not a Ubisoft kinda guy but I don't dislike every element of their games. We will see if those assumptions of mine hold up once I get to it.

The best thing about Mordor though, and the one thing that made me come back to it was the nemesis system. This at least seems to have a fun mode of transport, something Mordor was lacking. I just wish they both had friendly outposts, something to add a little variety, instead of constant battles. I haven't played this, so they could be in there.

I really hope that the Nemesis system is copied by others but with some tweaks. The combat and the nemesis system were great.

Funny that the movie went to great lengths to differentiate itself from every other summer movie and this game sounds like every open world game made in the last five years. I'm sure it's a decent game but the movie probably did more harm than good with expectations.

Tigress

I'm debating on Mad Max. It sounds like it could be fun and a good time waster (which I need before Fallout 4. Though I did just order Dying Light as well). It doesn't sound like a game that is worth 60 bux but because of store credit at Target I have from trading in games I'll only be paying 30 (but logially if you think about it, I could use that credit elsewhere and still pay 30 if I wait long enough. ANd I bet it won't be too long a wait with some of those scores it got. Sadly though I think it would be a long enough wait I'll be playing Fallout though if I wait for it to fall to near 30 dollars at least).

But for whatever reason I'm still excited about the game. Though I can easily see how the reviews might be right about the repetitiveness (i'm sick of AC for that). I just think if the car combat is fun enough, I'm not going to care (with AC I find the controls clunky so the combat doesn't make up for the really repetitive game/been there done that feel). I mean, Twisted Metal used to be one of my favorite games (and I loved Vigilante 8 as well). I'm wondering if the car combat feels anything like those games (not that I remember what they felt like playing, it's been years since I played either game).

heringer

Kind of like that Wolverine game? That would be nice.

I'm not going to try to justify my purchase just yet. I had basically free money to toss at something I thought looked good in the playthroughs. All I can say right now is that the content of the reviews is such that it seems like this is more my style of game than theirs but I won't know truly until I play. I doubt I will ever tire of Batman style combat although this take on it isn't as flippy or as fluid. I even saw some wrestling moves in there like a suplex. The quest design, however, I think I can live with. I'm not a Ubisoft kinda guy but I don't dislike every element of their games. We will see if those assumptions of mine hold up once I get to it.
Uh, you kind of just did. :p

I think Mad Max has friendly outposts. At least the ones you conquered.

DirtyLarry

I have it coming from GameFly and this game is the exact reason I still use GameFly after all of these years, so since I have not purchased it, I can play it with no preconceived notions of it has to be worth it, etc. etc.. It is quite liberating actually, and has allowed me to play, and very much enjoy, games I might not have otherwise.
I am kind of excited to check this game out. Not going to lie.

Momentary

Banned
There is one review that mentions the female representaton on a sidenote as far as I know, the other reviews complain about combat, mission design and story. I really don't know what you're talking about here.

Talking about in general. I don't know what you're referring to.

Jeff Backalar (CNET)'s review is up.

THE GOOD Mad Max is a gorgeous open-world wasteland sandbox game that provides some big thrills in the vehicular combat department.

THE BAD In general, the controls in Mad Max aren't very good. The game's pacing feels off, its difficulty seems uneven and some of the missions and driving can begin to feel like unwelcome chores.

THE BOTTOM LINE Mad Max has a fair amount of issues that are guaranteed to frustrate, but there's a handful of delectable chaos inside that's worth being exposed to -- just maybe not at full price.

Jeff BackaCar

I think Mad Max has friendly outposts. At least the ones you conquered.

Really, I guess they are similar to the Far Cry liberated outposts?

Jeff Backalar (CNET)'s review is up.

Jeff BackaCar

DRgF8Dx.png

SpaceHorror

Yeah, pretty sure there are friendly outposts. I seem to remember the WB guy explaining on the Team Coco stream that when a bad storm hits you can either take refuge in an outpost and ride it out or risk staying out in it for the reward of lots of scrap.

Don't think an enemy outpost would be too keen on letting you hide from the storm there.

That's true. The nemesis system would also work in Mad Max.

Top Bottom