• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
UPDATED FOR 2015/06/07: We're now in our second reason of GAF Mafia games! With our first game, When Death is on the Line, completed with a resounding town victory, Karkador and MattyG have stepped up the plate to run the next two games concurrently. You can sign up now to be put on the waiting list for the next round of games - occasionally games need replacement players, so you may even get in early if you sign up quick! Scroll down to see the waiting list, or post in this thread to sign up. Our numbers grow daily - ironic, for a Mafia Community. :p See section 8. for rules and all that stuff. Make sure you're able to respond to PMs if you sign up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| 1. Welcome to the Wolf Pack |

Hello, GAF! I'm here to spread the gospel about a little game with a lot of fun: mafia (also known as werewolf). We're a large community, and it seems like there are good odds that a fair few of us either play mafia, or would be the sort of person who'd enjoy playing mafia. Suitable for face-to-face, email conversation, or forums; and requiring absolutely no pieces, boards, or other things which cost money; it's definitely something I'd recommend to anyone. For those who are already into it, there's still a whole host of things to talk about - what set-ups you thought were fun, and what strategies you think work out best. So, on to the show!

| 2. What is Mafia and how do I play? |

The traditional introduction is to say that mafia is a game about an uninformed majority against a secret minority, but that's the dull introduction. Here's the real introduction: mafia is a game about lying, and detecting lies. Invented as Ма́фия in the U.S.S.R., 1986, by Dmitry Davidoff, making it the greatest Russian invention since Tetris, mafia is a party-game with a rather morbid turn.

In the most basic form, the players are assigned to one of two teams: the town, and the mafia (also known as the werewolves in some alternately flavoured versions of the game). The town only know which team they belong to; the alignment of everyone else remains a mystery; the majority of players are assigned to town. The mafia know the alignment of every other player; mafia number only a small few of the players.

The game alternates between a day phase and a night phase. During the day, all the players must come together to decide which player to lynch, by means of vote. The lynched player is considered dead and out of the game. Once a player has been lynched, or a decision of 'no lynch' reached, the day turns to night - and what a terrible night it is to have a curse! At night, the mafia may decide betwixt themselves in a secret conversation to kill one of the town. Once they have made their decision, the game returns to day.

The role of town is to scent out the evil heart lying beneath their sweet friend's innocent facade, and lynch all of the mafia, at which point they win. The role of the mafia is to become the new majority so that the cover of the night is no longer necessary, and make sure they outnumber all of the town, at which point they win.

| 3. That doesn't seem so complex... |

Ah, excellent! You're either now totally puzzled, or desperate for more complexity. The great thing is, mafia can accompany both positions! The very basic rule-set described above is the 'core' of mafia, mafia at the simplest it can be. The set-up is described as 'Basic' or 'Mountainous'. However, mafia can be so much more than that with the introduction of new roles, new sides, and new win conditions. The most common role to be added is to give the town a Cop. This player counts as a town villager (the ordinary role) in almost every respect - they start the game not knowing the mafia, and win when there are no mafia left - but with one crucial condition: each night, they can select one person to investigate. After investigation, they get a report back informing them if that player is guilty (mafia) or innocent (town). This is a powerful but intuitive role which is the first way to add complexity to the game.

It doesn't stop there though! You can have protective roles, like the Doctor, which can select one player each night to make immune from night-kills; third-party roles, like the Jester, who wins the game when they get lynched, mafia special roles, like the Godfather, who appears as innocent on cop reports; and so on. You can even switch up the core rule-set, with Nightless Setups becoming very popular in the mafia community: a version where each day is simply followed by another day and mafia must use the power of secret communication and co-ordination alone to win the day.

The great thing about all of this is that it means you can play to your tastes - the game can be completely batshit crazy with roles with an infinitesimally large number of Inspector Gadget style curiosities, to mountainous, the purest form of the game where only gut and focus can take you through.

There is an excellent (if slightly outdated) primer which can be found here: http://cataldo.freeshell.org/mafia/mafiascum04.swf Well-recommended!

| 4. Bored of this, gonna play Halo with my doritos kthxbai |

You just activated my trap card! The other cool thing about mafia is that it isn't just restricted to our dear old Sicilian friends the Cosa Nostra! Like the superior Android OS, mafia is infinitely customizable in terms of flavouring and theme. You may have wondered about the werewolf references - this is because the second most common version of the game simply calls the town 'the village' and the mafia 'the werewolves'. This flavouring extends to all of the other roles - the 'cop' might become the 'van Helsing associate', or the doctor, the 'saving angel'. This flavouring is also immensely important to mafia's greatest strength: the incredible death scenes. When a player gets killed in the night, it is immensely important to let the other players know the precise nature of their death. After all, how could we sleep at night without knowing that Geoff Keighly, the Town-aligned Dorito Pope, died at the hands of a sabotaged Grifbal that rendered his wounds unhealable even to the Mountain Dew elixir? This theming can even be used to come up with some very inventive roles based on the flavour you are going with. Don't be afraid to experiment!

| 5. Okay, but I have a social life at the very least. |

Good! Mafia is a fantastic game to play face-to-face in the real world (occasionally known as the Meat World in the mafia community) - even if the forum version is perhaps more popular these days, the genesis of the game was as a party game. Here's a step-by-step walkthrough of how to set-up and play one of the more basic mafia set-ups (a version known as 'Follow the Cop' or 'Classic') with your friends that requires nothing more than some scraps of paper (and alcohol per your taste).

1. Get 8 people. Using force is frowned upon but acceptable if you need to play really badly.

2. Get together and appoint one person the moderator. This person doesn't get to play and instead oversees the game, but face-to-face mafia is quite quick and they'll get a turn quite shortly.

3. Get 7 scraps of paper. 3 need to have "Villager" written on them, 1 "Cop", 1 "Doctor", and two "Mafia". Some people use cards from a deck to do this; so, you need 3 red suit cards to stand for villager, the King of Hearts for Cop, Queen of Hearts for Doctor, and 2 black suit cards for mafia.

4. Get the moderator to deal out the paper/cards anonymously. At this point, nobody can know what role the others are!

5. The moderator now gets all 7 people to form a circle, and shut their eyes, and remain silent: no talking! This is the first Night Phase. The moderator now says "Mafia, please open your eyes". Both mafia need to open their eyes, identify each other, and then decide on a person to kill by jointly pointing at that person. When done, the moderator now says "Mafia, please close your eyes."

6. The moderator now says "Cop, please open your eyes". The cop now needs to open his eyes, and select one person to investigate by pointing at them. The moderator does a silent thumbs-up if they are innocent (town) and thumbs-down if they are mafia (guilty). When done, the moderator now says "Cop, please close your eyes."

7. The moderator now says "Doctor, please open your eyes". The doctor now needs to open their eyes, and select one person to protect by pointing at them. When done, the moderator now says "Cop, please close your eyes."

8. The moderator now says "Everyone, open your eyes." It's now the Day Phase! Hoorah! Sadly, one of the players will probably not have survived the first night. If the mafia selected to kill someone, and the doctor did not also select that person, the moderator gets to describe how this person died in either gruesome detail or hilarious anecdote. Once done, everyone remaining can start talking - except the dead person, who is now out of the game.

9. The players get to discuss each other amongst themselves up until a time limit elapses - 3-4 minutes allows for swift games, but veterans may extend this to much longer deadlines. After the time limit, all players must vote to lynch a player. If no player has a majority vote, then a no-lynch happens. A lynched player is then dead, and thus is out of the game and cannot talk. After a lynch or a no-lynch, the day phase is finished, and we return to the Night phase.

10. After cycling through steps 5-9, one of two results is possible: a) there is an equal or greater number of mafia compared to town. Should this happen, all mafia win (even if one was dead as a result of lynching - if your team wins, you win). b) all the mafia are lynched before a) happens. Should this happen, all town win (again, even ones who were killed or lynched). The moderator gets the fun task of describing the grisly process by which mafia finish off the few remaining town in the event of a), otherwise, he gets to describe the lovely happy-ever-after ending that accompanies a town ending.

11. Congratulations! You played mafia and it was fun!

| 5. Fuck the social life, I want more! |

As with all social-life destroying hobbies, the internet is more than happy to oblige. Internet mafia is big, and works in much the same way as face to face. There are some differences - there are usually less mafia roles, for two reasons. First is that you don't have facial tells or body language to judge by, making the job of town harder. Secondly, most internet mafia games allow the mafia to discuss via PM during the night phase, giving them slightly more considered actions. This means town needs slightly more support or better pro-town roles. The other difference is that games last longer - a day phase typically lasts between 3 days to 2 weeks (usually closer to the former), and a night phase between 1 days and 3 days, meaning longer mafia games can last around a month.

Nevertheless, mafia in many ways can be more enjoyable on the internet, as ever more inventive roles and role resolution becomes easier for a moderator to administer given PMs and the like. There are a number of large mafia communities and websites on the internet, and a good place to start is the (slightly outdated, but nevertheless very useful) mafia roles flash demonstration: http://mikeburnfire.deviantart.com/art/Mafia-Roles-72597749 (Don't worry, it may be hosted on DeviantArt but no Sanics here), and the mafiascum community's http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page .

| 6. Let's get started then! |

Sure thing! Jump ahead to section 8, which lists all of the past and present GAF games. Wow, this was a quick section, wasn't it?

| 7. F.A.Q. |

You haven't asked any yet!

| 8. GAF-games |

(you should totally read this thread in GAF Dark Theme, makes it more atmospheric)

-----------------------------------------------
| Season 1 |

Game-runner: Crab

| When Death is on the Line [Completed] |

Woo-hoo! I'm proud to present the inaugural GAF Mafia Competition! I, Crab, will be acting as your moderator, and would like to warmly welcome you to the beautiful island of Sicily. The island's wonderful and fertile soils lead to it being a cornerstone of Mediterranean culture; a prized possession of the Roman Empire and a proud kingdom in the medieval ages. The weather varies between merely beautiful and outright gorgeous, sunny days looking over the deep blue waters. The nightlife is superb, with some of the greatest clubs you can encounter in all of Italy. Your hotel is quite lovely as well - plushy pillows in enormous beds, staff who wait on you hand and foot, a luxurious swimming pool to laze around in. There's only one problem:

The severed head of one of your fellow tourists, lying neatly on his lap, propped up in the atrium, and a note nailed to his forehead.

"The Cosa Nostra have decided that the owner of your fine hotel has failed to pay his dues, and each night he must be reminded of this failure. We shall kill you, one by one, until nothing remains but the honour of our family. The phone lines are cut, the roads are blocked: you must simply accept your fate.

You weren't sure who made the suggestion, but from among the other tourists a consensus emerged: if the roads were blocked, the Mafiosi must be hiding amongst you. Clearly, if each day, the tourists took the solemn decision of killing one of your number, then awoke the next day with no further deaths, then this terror would be over. Your heart set, but fear burning in your stomach, you nod, and discussions over who will be first begin. You can only hope that you survive this experience. After all, one should never go in against a Sicilian...

jpnaZy1.png

Our first GAF game came to a stunning town victory after an apparent mafia position of strength. Our seven town survivors were Zippedpinhead, El Topo, AbsolutBro, Palmer_v1, MattyG, kingkitty, and tomakasatnav. The Best Mafia Player award went to traube, the Best Town Player award went to Timeaisis, and the Best Overall Player also went to Timeaisis with special mentions for Karkador, Zippedpinhead, and El Topo. A big thank you to everyone for participating.

Some choice reviews from the game's end!

Foshy said:
I kept following the game even after my death and I really enjoyed it :D nice job everyone

irfaanator said:
all my gut feelings failed me

Timeaisis said:
Hooray! Well done, town. Awesome game, Crab. This was tons of fun. ::

El Topo said:
The secret is out, Zipped and me are in love. Deal with it.

Lord of Castamere said:
Great game everyone. Now Crab, please tell Karkador that I killed Nin1000. That was my body not his. ):

| Season 2 |

| Making Animal Friends is Fun! [On-going] |

Game-runner: Karkador

Lp0wbCz.png

Hey, Traveler! Was that a one-way ticket you just handed the conductor? Oh, you're moving to a new village! Looks like you've finally chosen a place to settle down, huh?

Thanks to the ongoing neighborhood efforts of the Happy Home Academy, your new village prides itself in calling itself the perfect place to live. Sounds really promising, doesn't it? Doesn't sound scummy like some other Villages, does it? Maybe almost a little too good to be true?

No! Wipe that worried look off your face!

Trust me, I've met a lot of people on this train going the same way as you; but come to think of it, I've never met anyone moving OUT of that village. Weird, huh? I guess people must like it there that much...

Certainly, if something weird was happening, the Happy Home Academy would fix it, right? I mean, if I wasn't banished to this train as your humble, haunting guide, I'd probably still be happily residing in-

*the train whistle whines to a whisper as it pulls into the station*

Ah, but that's another story - yours starts here! Enjoy your new life in the village, and remember: mind your neighbors!

| A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy [On-going] |

JcUZe3E.png

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away...

The galaxy is in a state of upheaval. Following the destruction of the DEATH STAR, the Empire is hunting the Rebel Alliance with more ferocity than ever.

In the midst of the conflict, a Rebel transport had been engaged by Imperial forces. A raging battle ensues, with the transport ultimately falling to the harsh surface of Tatooine, far from any signs of civilization.

Twenty-three crew members have made it out of the wreckage, but it will soon become apparent that there are dissidents among them. Hutt mobsters, hired by the Empire to eliminate the Rebels, have been lurking in the ranks, along with a few others who have more than just the Rebel cause at heart...

| 9. Sign-ups / waiting list |

Hello! This is the current sign-up and waiting list thread. To sign-up, read the rules carefully and post in this thread. Be aware this can be a time commitment - games last between two to three months on average. Note that you must also have the ability to send and receive PMs. When new games are being sign-up, people who signed-up when no games were available have priority. If you're on the waiting list, you may also get a spot as a player replacement - so it pays to sign-up early.

1. roytheone
2. Mike_Hawk689
3. Mashin Haters
4. Lunch_Box_
5. Sawneeks

Foshy

Oh fuck yeah. I'd definitely be down for a GAF mafia community. Got into it on Pokemon Online chatrooms, also organised a Mario themed game on another forum once.

Forkball

Uh, that sounds like a crazy complicated version of Mafia/Yakuza/Killer that my friends and I used to play.

Everyone gets a card.
Ace is the killer, K is the doctor who can potentially save someone.
Everyone closes their eyes, then the killer picks someone to kill. The killer closes his/her eyes, then the doctor picks someone to make immune from death. If the killer and the doctor pick the same person, that person survives a round.
Everyone then votes on who they think the killer is, who is then eliminated. Repeat until victory.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, that sounds like a crazy complicated version of Mafia/Yakuza/Killer that my friends and I used to play.

Everyone gets a card.
Ace is the killer, K is the doctor who can potentially save someone.
Everyone closes their eyes, then the killer picks someone to kill. The killer closes his/her eyes, then the doctor picks someone to make immune from death. If the killer and the doctor pick the same person, that person survives a round.
Everyone then votes on who they think the killer is, who is then eliminated. Repeat until victory.

This is indeed a version of mafia. The face-to-face version I described is almost the same as this except it includes a cop whereas yours doesn't, yours only has one mafia (/killer), whereas mine has two. I tried to use the most commonly played version I know for the face-to-face how-to-play in the hopes people recognize it; the one downside of the immense variability of mafia is that most people's 'first time' is with a slightly different set. The game doesn't have to be complex at all, you can have versions with no power roles at all - you just get to take it at the level you and your friends are comfortable with.

Gobias

Banned
Game is awesome.

Also, in like 10th grade we played a similar game but instead of werewolves there were two people who had aids cards. This was in US history.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How does this compare to Epic Mafia?

EpicMafia is (obviously) a form of mafia, but it uses chat rather than post-by-post as we would here. Aside from that, they work almost exactly the same.

ultron87

Had a lot of fun times with Mafia throughout College. When I think back I still get mad at one of my friends who decided the final vote of a long ass game with a coin flip. Grrrrr.

At this point for our group it's been mostly supplanted by board games like The Resistance or One Night Werewolf since they give a lot of the same experience but don't have player elimination and don't last nearly as long as a long Mafia game does. But none of that stuff scales up to the crazy number of people that Mafia can, so it is always nice to have it as an option when tons of people around.

Had a lot of fun times with Mafia throughout College. When I think back I still get mad at one of my friends who decided the final vote of a long ass game with a coin flip. Grrrrr.

At this point for our group it's been mostly supplanted by board games like The Resistance or One Night Werewolf since they give a lot of the same experience but don't have player elimination and don't last nearly as long as a long Mafia game does. But none of that stuff scales up to the crazy number of people that Mafia can, so it is always nice to have it as an option when tons of people around.

I played The Resistance with my dad one, who hadn't played it before. Throughout the entire game he really had trouble understanding what was going on...until the end when he revealed he was a spy and had been playing us all.

It was beautiful.

joelseph

I played The Resistance with my dad one, who hadn't played it before. Throughout the entire game he really had trouble understanding what was going on...until the end when he revealed he was a spy and had been playing us all.

It was beautiful.

Excellent! Nothing worse than trying to teach someone a deception game and they can't deceive properly. Seeing the opposite happen would be glorious, and from your dad!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Resistance is a lot of fun, but it doesn't have the crazy factor high-level mafia does. Good way of teaching people how to lie convincingly though!

joelseph

Resistance is a lot of fun, but it doesn't have the crazy factor high-level mafia does. Good way of teaching people how to lie convincingly though!

How so? Are you playing with Avalon variants?

What are your thoughts on 2 Rooms and a Boom?

joelseph

If you can make it to GenCon in Indianapolis the amount of Werewolf games going at night is stunning. The entire 1000 yard walkup hallway was overflowing with games last year every night starting at Midnight and going through until the next day.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How so? Are you playing with Avalon variants?

What are your thoughts on 2 Rooms and a Boom?

I haven't actually played the Avalon variant, only the original Resistance. I'd go Avalon, but it costs money and proper Resistance (and also mafia) are free; same reason I've not picked up 2 Rooms and a Boom - student budgets. I have played 2 Rooms and a Boom briefly with others; but I think I prefer both Resistance and Mafia because of the minority vs. majority dynamic. In 2 Rooms and a Boom you don't really get that one cunning bastard who flips at the last minute for the other side because it's more concentrated on the team dynamic - there's less room for one person to pull off a ridiculous Xanatos Gambit and you don't get the intensity of the three-way at lylo.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I always enjoy playing Mafia, but I don't have a good poker face, so anyone who knows me fairly well can usually immediately tell when I'm one of the mafia. :/

See, this is the advantage of internet play, you don't have to worry about the poker face. Verbal tells is where it's at!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I asked Kabouter (thanks Kab!) and there's no policy against these, so we're good to go! If anyone's interested, I'll start taking sign-ups for a first GAF Mafia Community game. Regardless of whether you're new or experienced, there will definitely be fun to be had, so please come on in!

Superman00

Liverpool01
Use to play this all the time with my friends when we got together. Shit can get super crazy lol. Things can get very heated too. Love this game.

Amir0x

Banned
i played this a few times but honestly I don't like the game when there's only 8 people. Too limiting and easy to figure things out. I like when there's at least 12.

CRAB: I want to sign up for GAF Mafia crew

adj_noun

I played this all the time. We got...complicated with the themes. Superhero games, TV games, meta games, the nuttiest roles you could think of.

At the heyday they were big games, too. Like, 20-30 people. It could be hard for the designers to balance the roles, but sometimes fighting the unbalanced stuff was part of the fun.

Karkador

Banned
I think a mod should run this, and ban people when they get voted out. The tension would be amazing.

Count me in, anyhow!

Amir0x

Banned
I think a mod should run this, and ban people when they get voted out. The tension would be amazing.

Count me in, anyhow!

we can just do avatar penalties of 3 days :p

studyguy said:
Isn't this just epicmafia.com?
Why not just play that...

wtf 150 unique roles!? How would anyone keep track?

omg at some of the super niche job roles and rules there are lol

Edit:

"Mistletoe

Chooses two people to put under the mistletoe
If the players alignments are the same, they fall in love
If players alignments are different, nothing happens and the Mistletoe is alerted that the love failed
If Kissed by hooker, becomes a nilla mafia (da fug?)
Wins if everyone alive is in love with someone or with town, while receiving less points
Sided with third party

Omg at Fabricator role

I remember playing the ultimate Werewolf version and moderating a match or two of that. The mob/werewolf sides are always the funniest to watch since it's all just flailing about to get the other to agree with the kill.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this just epicmafia.com?
Why not just play that...

The 5 minute nature of chat mafia makes it play a bit different to forum mafia. I much prefer forum mafia. The tensions really build in EpicMafia and you never know how the moderator has designed things...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Our "trailer", if you will:

Woo-hoo! I'm proud to present the inaugural GAF Mafia Competition! I, Crab, will be acting as your moderator, and would like to warmly welcome you to the beautiful island of Sicily. The island's wonderful and fertile soils lead to it being a cornerstone of Mediterranean culture; a prized possession of the Roman Empire and a proud kingdom in the medieval ages. The weather varies between merely beautiful and outright gorgeous, sunny days looking over the deep blue waters. The nightlife is superb, with some of the greatest clubs you can encounter in all of Italy. Your hotel is quite lovely as well - plushy pillows in enormous beds, staff who wait on you hand and foot, a luxurious swimming pool to laze around in. There's only one problem:

The severed head of one of your fellow tourists, lying neatly on his lap, propped up in the atrium, and a note nailed to his forehead.

"The Cosa Nostra have decided that the owner of your fine hotel has failed to pay his dues, and each night he must be reminded of this failure. We shall kill you, one by one, until nothing remains but the honour of our family. The phone lines are cut, the roads are blocked: you must simply accept your fate.

You weren't sure who made the suggestion, but from among the other tourists a consensus emerged: if the roads were blocked, the Mafiosi must be hiding amongst you. Clearly, if each day, the tourists took the solemn decision of killing one of your number, then awoke the next day with no further deaths, then this terror would be over. Your heart set, but fear burning in your stomach, you nod, and discussions over who will be first begin. You can only hope that you survive this experience. After all, one should never go in against a Sicilian...

jpnaZy1.png

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom