• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson interview with Phil Spencer

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ah, you meant 'post-conference' management.

I thought you meant pre-E3 as in the usual 'Sony/MS/EA/etc pre-E3 press conference', where they held their shows to announce EVERYTHING before E3 actually opens doors the day after.

I mean more so in the pre-E3 leadup like in April and May where small announcements and stuff come out before the conferences and the days that follow.

Aren't Lift London working on phone and tablet games.

They're working on all sorts of things, including incubating young studios. I'm not expecting epic AAA titles from them, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious about what they have cooking. After all, Press Play are also a phone/tablet studio, but their involvement doesn't stop there.

They have really been trying to shift their PR focus since that abysmal tv,tv,tv,sports,tv conference and tbh i think they are doing a good job so far.

I think Spencer's bigger challenge is to convince people that their "commitment to games" will continue until XB1's final years and will not stop after 3-4 years from now as it was the case with the 360.

How did their commitment stop?

eshwaaz

This is very encouraging. They've made a ton of mistakes with the Xbox One, but I still want serious competition out there. Sony has come across very strongly so far, but I want them to stay on their toes. Spencer's leadership, assuming he's being genuine, could be great for consumers all-around.

Phil inspire a lot of trust on the brand. Same goes for MS' new CEO, if I can say. I really hope great times are coming for Xbox and the industry as a whole.

Same phil was not in charge a couple of years ago, am sure the xbox one would be a different proposition than the one he has inhereted

Mattrick really fucked up that console and dare to say, the organization as a whole.

paolo11

Once Phil Spencer was announced head of the Xbox division, damn sure he will make Gears of War the AAA title.

Also, Phil, if you may. Please obtain the exclusive rights for Devil's Third from Itagaki.(hehehhe)

rrc1594

As a X1 owner all of this is music to my ear's. I know we need to give him time, but he keeps on hyping E3. That makes it hard for me to control my hype

It's a great interview. I personally wonder if MS will be going first with their conference again. Sony took advantage of that last time, surely, with aggressive price cuts and ditching the PS4 Camera. It'll be interesting to see what Phil decides upon, if it's up to him to decide.

big_z

I need the update that allows me to play video files off USB stick ASAP. I hate that both consoles lack the feature as I use USB with my 360 for workout vids. Would be nice to be able to retire the 360....

Give Rare back then...or "sell" :p

That would be a loss of quality IP. They need to let rare go back to running the way it used to be run during the Nintendo years.

rrc1594

Question say if X1 Fall line-up is Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, HA2, FH2, and one unannounced game we don't know about. I don't know if that will be line-up things change, but that's one hell of a Fall line-up.

big_z

Question say if X1 Fall line-up is Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, HA2, FH2, and one unannounced game we don't know about. I don't know if that will be line-up things change, but that's one hell of a Fall line-up.

Season 2 of killer instinct should also be coming later this year.

Microsoft has the stronger games lineup right now. If they lower the price theyll move a lot of units this year, especially if they do the two game holiday bundle at $399. Sony really needs to impress at e3. Their lineup is a bit dry atm.

Their list of 360 exclusives for the core market dropped significantly after 2010 (in comparison to the earlier years).

Hmmm, they still made their core franchises, also have been ahead of the curve supporting games like Minecraft, and World of Tanks, State of Decay, and such. Supported Kinect w/ titles like Kinect Sports.

I think it's fair to say that they have not come up with a new AAA action IP like Sony did with TLOU but thats about it.

Bessy67

Season 2 of killer instinct should also be coming later this year.

Microsoft has the stronger games lineup right now. If they lower the price theyll move a lot of units this year, especially if they do the two game holiday bundle at $399. Sony really needs to impress at e3. Their lineup is a bit dry atm.

Yeah, solid E3 and a $399 holiday bundle with a couple games (maybe something like Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3) would be huge for MS.

On Demand

Banned

That is a very good line up. I wonder if Sony can match that.

EDIT-

I'm a member! Yay! :)

Eknots

Phil giving all gaffers hope for the future that we have a xbox that seems to give a fuck about us. Hopefully it pans out well at e3 and the next 2 years

I still don't think Quantum Break is coming this year, I think something in early Spring makes sense

I kind of hope they delay it into a window where MS can really push the game bigtime. Alan Wake came out at the worst possible time without a ton of marketing and suffered until the PC version set things right. I want to see Remedy get the love they deserve.

419414480_640.jpg

is one of the other studios and then there's a mystery team.

That is a very good line up. I wonder if Sony can match that.

Considering TLoU 'Outsourced Edition' is (apparently) summer instead of fall, not likely.

The releases for Sony's titles are slightly more parsed than MS's at the moment. It fills the gaps more, but seems to lack a blowout season.

jamiept

Banned
...ms is still the company that tried to violate my rights as a customer deeply, shove drm thru my throat, did so many spinning that it made my head hurt, they lied about this, they lied about that.

They were up front about DRM before E3 - arguably the worst time to reveal their plans. But they did it, and reversed their stance. MS cocked up and this new guy acknowledged as much.

BTW... Look on YouTube and you'll find examples of games that don't get play because of no internet connection... On a PS4...

EL CUCO

I like that MN mentioned to Phil that people want a cheaper price.

A price drop announcement of $359 at E3 would be megaton. Probably the only thing that would put Sony on their heels, at this point.

Top Bottom