• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyoya

What the fuck man, someone just posted a full Passport ID page pulled from the wreckage of someone from the Netherlands, I mean, families haven't been notified yet, and this is going to be the worst way for a family to find out.

s84p2Y7.png

Oops

So, what happens now?

Jezbollah

FYI with regards to the breaking up of the aircraft - Many SAMs work on a proximity detonation - they dont need to *hit* the target, rather blow up right next to it to cause even minimum damage.

An explosion next to a wide body passenger jet at 35,000ft could have been very small to cause a major decompression incident and resultant hull breakup.

:(

Terra

What the fuck man, someone just posted a full Passport ID page pulled from the wreckage of someone from the Netherlands, I mean, families haven't been notified yet, and this is going to be the worst way for a family to find out.

Totally unbelievable.

LNBL

My god... may they rest in peace. What a messed up world.. 285 + 210 innocent lives have been killed this weak in international conflicts.

Are we certain this were Russian seperatists that attacked the airplane? Also Malaysian Airlines just lost more if it's reputation, regardless of the fact this was not their fault.

I saw this too, Dutch media have not said anything about that yet. Hope it's unrelated to this crash :(

The separatists posted this today.

Сообщение от ополчения.

"В районе Тореза только что сбили самолет Ан-26, валяется где-то за шахтой "Прогресс".
Предупреждали же - не летать в "нашем небе".
А вот и видео-подтверждение очередного "птичкопада".
Птичка упала за террикон, жилой сектор не зацепила. Мирные люди не пострадали.

А также еще есть информация о втором сбитом самолете, вроде бы Су."

(warning, terrible google translate)

"In the area Torrez just downed plane An-26, lying somewhere in the mine" Progress. "
Also warned - do not fly in "our sky."
And here is the confirmation of the next video "ptichkopada."
Bird fell for waste heap, the residential sector is not caught. Civilians are not injured. "

AN-26 would be a military transport which might look like a passenger plane.

Well fuck me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oops

So, what happens now?

That page now has a post saying it couldn't possibly have been them.

The original message is still there though.

I'm not sure if it's 'his' page, though, or just someone collecting reports from various places? The original message about shooting down a plane seems to be a quotation of someone else. I've no idea though.

The next question is this...

If this is traced back to the Russians shooting it down, along with all of the dirty shit they are pulling in the Ukraine...

What happens next?

Sanctions don't seem to do anything. You really think Putin gives a flying shit?
The guy wants to rebuild an empire that died ages ago.

Do you bomb Russia back to the stone age?
Do you send troops to fight at the Ukrainian border?

alterno69

Banned
That's some fucked up shit, posting those pics is uncalled for, someone will see a relative there, imagine that.

Also, very scary stuff could result from this.

e_i

This is what I thought. Someone downed the plane thinking it was military.

Wait, who the fuck thought flying a passenger plane over a war zone was a good idea?

Uzzy

So did they mistake it for a enemy re-fueling jet or even a fighter jet, or did they intentional shoot at an airliner?

Probably mistaken for an Antonov An-26, a military transport plane. One of those was shot down on the 14th, at a height of 21,325ft.

kyoya

I think Twitter just pulled the Passport photo ID, maybe they'll pull the other photos of casualties.

Nameless

And apparently two Ukrainian military planes were shot down this week in the same area. Fuckin crazy how brazen the pro-Russian separatist have become.

Maxim726X

Sometimes this world just makes you feel like shit.

This is one of those times... Almost 300 innocent people dead. My stomach is churning.

King_Moc

Banned

Why the fuck would you do that? Maybe PMing it to the twitter page for their government would make sense, but this is fucking heartless.

Not outright defending it, but it could be entirely acceptable there to show those types of images on the news there. Just because it's Russian news doesn't mean they don't give a fuck.

oh, i'm not blaming them (I don't know) I'm saying there's no shame for showing pictures before families know. Someone could see someone they know, not knowing they were dead.

Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing in regards to stock or financial markets.

Why does something like this cause the stock market to plummet? Is Malaysia Airlines even registered on the Dow Jones? Is it the fear of war or something?

Unpredictable events cause investors to panic that the market will panic.

kess

The Boeing 767 and 777 planes have never had catastrophic fuel tank failures, especially of the kind that would blow apart a plane like this - there were major design changes on suspected overheating issues years ago, and the plane in question was a 747.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
People who have shot down the plane support Russia and the Ukrainian government is pro US and EU. I am expecting some strict actions from USA.

strafer

That's the nightmare, with Twitter and FB, everything will reach everyone so fast.

If I ever saw a picture of my death mother in a plane wreckage on Twitter I would probably not live anymore.

If the no-fly zone was real and public knowledge before now, why the hell did they still fly through it? Did MA not know? Did they just think it wasn't a serious threat?

This story from last month says it was a no-fly zone exclusively for military aircraft but that's still super fucking dangerous to fly through when it's imposed by rebels!

sangreal

Ukrainian separatists supported by Russia shot it down, technically they're Ukranian but want to be part of Russia. Russia gave them some soviet era buks and this is one of the things they did. Russia denied involvement because they didn't directly do it but the separatists claimed responsibility of shooting down what they thought was a Ukranian AN-26 which turned out to be the passenger airliner. When they shot it down they still didn't care because they said it was in their airspace, which is like me standing outside my home and posting on twitter that you can't fly above my house or I'm going to shoot you with my buk

It was a rhetorical question. My point was that if it was shot down, I doubt it was the Ukrainian Government as suggested by the poster I was replying to

LNBL

Fuck... ANWB just confirmed to Nu.nl that there were 15 Dutch people aboard the plain going on vacations of Fox.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That page has a message saying it couldn't have been them because their ground to air missile units have a max range of 3km. Yet...they downed planes before at over twice that altitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom