• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Remake hands-on tidbits

Yeah, I'm not really sure this counts as having less control, as having Luigi in the lead did absolutely nothing for the gameplay itself.

Hammers no longer buckling on defense? Sure, that's worth concern. Needing less buttons to perform the same functionality for the environmental puzzles? Not even a blip on the radar.
Eh... This is technically false, though for a minor reason. If the non-leading bro got hit by an enemy in the field, they'd be temporarily stunned at the start of battle. It's now harder for that bro to be Mario.

You do realize he did say the game was as tough as he remembered it right?

Yeah, I wouldn't really conclude that the game is easier due to every change, streamlined is a better way of putting most of the changes.

The only thing that struck me as making the game a bit easier is the ability to guard with hammers for as long as you like. Which is likely due to Alphadream reusing code from the previous two games. Still a shame it isn't as characteristically difficult there though.

13ruce

Banned
So glad i hold off replaying the game a few months ago last time i played it is 4 years or so ago.

It really is a masterpiece and probably still the best M&L game alongside with Bowsers Inside Story.

I did like Partners in Time and Dream Team alot too. Paperjam was a bit dissapointing but still liked it.

Bakkus

So basically the game is a remake of a 14 year old game with inferior visuals, dumbed down gameplay and is gonna be sold for full price.

I think i'm gonna pass on this one.

So basically the game is a remake of a 14 year old game with inferior visuals, dumbed down gameplay and is gonna be sold for full price.

I think i'm gonna pass on this one.

And thus, Mario RPGs continue to waddle down the path of mediocrity.

What a shame. Neither Intelligent Systems or AlphaDream have any idea of what they're doing with their respective series.

Mory Dunz

What a shame. Neither Intelligent Systems or AlphaDream have any idea of what they're doing with their respective series.

I'd take a Paper Mario or M&L half as good as SS today plz

edit:
people can't be serious with this inferior visuals bs

So you're saying if a game was announced today with SS 2003 graphics, you'd all be like, wow Looks great! Can't wait to get this on my Switch.
And if a new game with modern M&L graphics was announced, it'd be ugly?

Fumpster

I'm surprised there's anybody that's a big fan of switching the Bros, I always felt like it took way too much time after you started unlocking more abilities.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
OH nice, Im at Hyper Japan as well, will check this out tomorrow :)

Mory Dunz

I'm surprised there's anybody that's a big fan of switching the Bros, I always felt like it took way too much time after you started unlocking more abilities.

you'd think, right.

I thought all the buttons and switching was pretty much the main complaint with PiT too, so I wonder what the reactions would be if a remake changed it.

TrueBlue

you'd think, right.

I thought all the buttons and switching was pretty much the main complaint with PiT too, so I wonder what the reactions would be if a remake changed it.

Yeah, I'm okay with this change. Having to switch Bros and then switch abilities lost its novelty after a while. It was particularly tedious in areas which required multiple abilities to traverse. Streamlining that process is a good thing.

Bakkus

This is a purposefully dumb and ignorant post. You should actually read a thread before you reply in the future.

I did, and I stand by what I said.

True. We can thank Miyamoto and his ultra conservatism towards gaming for that. At least in regards to the PM series, tho it wouldn't surprise me if his interference in Paper Mario didn't spread over to M&L because the latest M&L had zero new characters for the very first time just like SS and CS.

True. We can thank Miyamoto and his ultra conservatism towards gaming for that. At least in regards to the PM series, tho it wouldn't surprise me if his interference in Paper Mario didn't spread over to M&L because the latest M&L had zero new characters for the very first time just like SS and CS.

I mentioned it earlier on the thread but I don't get where people are pulling the "Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario" thing from. It was focus groups - i.e. listening to Club Nintendo survey feedback.

I guess you could consider that as conservatism, but it seems unfair just to blame Miyamoto - it's more likely to be whoever was in charge of software planning at a whole at that point in the generation since the call was made to move one Mario RPG series to a different genre.

Paper Mario: Color Splash is an great (but flawed) adventure game, so I'm glad something good came from the want to make Paper Mario different.

VDenter

Banned
I am baffled as to why this remake exists? Superstar Saga with its GBA graphics aged completely fine and remaking it on a low res 3DS screen to make it look like the newer games does not seem like a particularly great idea. Not to mention you can get the original for about eight bucks on the Wii U. Paying 40-50 bucks for this screams cash grab.

I'll still buy it, but it seems like the original will still be the ideal way to play. None of the things they've "streamlined" were originally faulty design, at least, in my opinion.

TrueBlue

If Paper Mario ditches the combat system next time round, they'd be on to a winner.

Every chapter in Colour Splash was bursting with creativity, and the sheer variety of things you did reminded me of TTYD. I also felt Huey was an excellent partner to Mario throughout the adventure.

In any case, I'm not sure how a remake provides another example of the RPGs decline. Most agree that Superstar Saga was the best one, right?

If the only thing that has really changed is how hammers work, the quality isn't going to suddenly plummet because of it. Hell, the OP seems to be suggesting as such.

Mory Dunz

no.

As I've said a million times, no one forced them to make a bad game.
If the higher ups want "action adventure", ok, then make a good one.

As for Paper Jam, it just seemed like a rush job to reuse assets and get a game out for cheap that seemed likely to sell well.

Problem is, Paper Jam bombed. So dunno if we'll see that again. (Though Superstar Saga seems a similar situation)

I am baffled as to why this remake exists? Superstar Saga with its GBA graphics aged completely fine and remaking it on a low res 3DS screen to make it look like the newer games does not seem like a particularly great idea. Not to mention you can get the original for about eight bucks on the Wii U. Paying 40-50 bucks for this screams cash grab.

Because now they can sell this game (more than likely a lower budgeted and easier remake than other of their projects) to people on the 3DS which is still selling. Rather than just on a dead console's VC.

Bakkus

I mentioned it earlier on the thread but I don't get where people are pulling the "Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario" thing from. It was focus groups - i.e. listening to Club Nintendo survey feedback.

I guess you could consider that as conservatism, but it seems unfair just to blame Miyamoto - it's more likely to be whoever was in charge of software planning at a whole at that point in the generation since the call was made to move one Mario RPG series to a different genre.

Paper Mario: Color Splash is an great (but flawed) adventure game, so I'm glad something good came from the want to make Paper Mario different.

Read the Iwata Asks. Never seen developers basically admitting how out of touch they are with their fans. They admit that Miyamoto came up to them and said. 'This looks too much like the GC game' Yeah, the one that was almost a decade old at the time, while at the same time, not one, but TWO titles in the NSMB series came out the same fall as Sticker Star did! The irony is out of control. As for that Club Nintendo survey. That survey looked suspiciously designed to give them the answers they wanted. Questions were oddly vague and you could only answer 'yes' or 'no' with no further elaboration.

That survey looked suspiciously designed to give them the answers they wanted. Questions were oddly vague and you could only answer 'yes' or 'no' with no further elaboration.

Over half of the feedback questions in Club Nintendo surveys required entering your opinion in a text box.

Bakkus

no.

As I've said a million times, no one forced them to make a bad game.
If the higher ups want "action adventure", ok, then make a good one.
Or....maybe make a new spin-off franchise to cater to those demands none of the fanbase wanted instead of messing up a franchise which no one wanted to see changed up?

Over half of the feedback questions in Club Nintendo surveys required entering your opinion in a text box.

I just looked up more info regarding this survey. Apparently it was for Japan only, and it says only 1% enjoyed the story? That cannot be right. How they could have been so stupid as to use this survey as a part of the basis for why they changed up the franchise seems asinine beyond belief. Which is probably not the reason, it was just an excuse.

OH nice, Im at Hyper Japan as well, will check this out tomorrow :)

Cool! If you could try Bowser's Minions as well that'd be great :)

There's basically no queue to play the game, it's in a cozy area with beanbags and 3DSes. Monster Hunter Stories is also playable in English for what it's worth. Not sure if that's a first.

MrBadger

So I played this at Hyper Japan as well and there was one tidbit not in the OP I wanted to mention here, how Dry Bones looks -

20136450_10209789798444637_868927768_n.jpg

Older Mario games were pretty inconsistent about what certain enemies looked like, and that kinda got "ironed out" as the series progressed and designs became more standardised. Seems like this game is keeping a few of the weird enemy designs instead of trying to modernise them. I like that a lot. Also the game looks really great on the 3DS screen and I like the QOL improvements from Paper Jam returning here (fast-forward, optional tutorials).

I just looked up more info regarding this survey. Apparently it was for Japan only, and it says only 1% enjoyed the story? That cannot be right. How they could have been so stupid as to use this survey as a part of the basis for why they changed up the franchise seems asinine beyond belief. Which is probably not the reason, it was just an excuse.
Club Nintendo was literally created as a consumer feedback program. The awards were incentives to do them.

Yukinari

I dont quite understand why a remake would remove or change things that werent broken to begin with instead of just doing what its supposed to.

Add new content, QoL changes and better presentation.

They must not have faith in newcomers if they had to mess with battle mechanics that were already well made. I know i rag on the Crash Trilogy for its minor downsides but the industry should pay attention to that game.

MrBadger

I dont quite understand why a remake would remove or change things that werent broken to begin with instead of just doing what its supposed to.

Add new content, QoL changes and better presentation.

They must not have faith in newcomers if they had to mess with battle mechanics that were already well made. I know i rag on the Crash Trilogy for its minor downsides but the industry should pay attention to that game.

I can understand them for modernising the game to bring it in line with how the current games are, since the hammers have been that way since (I think) Dream Team. Every change besides that has been a QOL improvement.

So long as this is the worst change they made, I think I'll manage. If they start bringing in the super long, shitty special moves from DT and PJ, then I'll have a problem.

So I played this at Hyper Japan as well and there was one tidbit not in the OP I wanted to mention here, how Dry Bones looks -

20136450_10209789798444637_868927768_n.jpg

Older Mario games were pretty inconsistent about what certain enemies looked like, and that kinda got "ironed out" as the series progressed and designs became more standardised. Seems like this game is keeping a few of the weird enemy designs instead of trying to modernise them. I like that a lot. Also the game looks really great on the 3DS screen and I like the QOL improvements from Paper Jam returning here (fast-forward, optional tutorials).

Nice find!!! My demo save didn't take me there (though I did start a new save to see the intro and play up to the passport save part) so it's nice to see some of the quirkier takes on Mario characters have been remade as they should be.

I like it a lot, too. I was disappointed that Mario 64 DS threw away a lot of the original interpretations of Mario characters.

Honestly, I wish I could have spent more time with the demo. I'm already itching to listen to more of the arranged soundtrack.

Top Bottom