• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 debuts at No. 1 in the UK, first time for a Mario game since 2008

oti

Banned
Holy fucking shit. I knew it would do extremely well but not even I imagined it would do that well.

And the next mega hit is just two months away.

4cc8ME3_wWUn4WNbcQ04YMmMpgQqJOUw.png

And then there's Mario for the Holidays.

That's nuts, should maybe have it's own thread.
Makes my situation in GAME yesterday fully understandable.
Parents queuing to ask for a switch and mario kart but continuously being told they are sold out. checked on argos and they sold over 100 systems in the last 48hrs and over 50 were about to purchase.
I really didn't see the switch being this crazy popular, i mean mario kart 8 deserves it but this is nuts when compared to what happened to the wii u.

I'm hyped for this and I pretty much completely ignored the first. Switch had this weird.. pull. It's not like it's making me buy games for the sake of it either, I actually end up playing all of them a lot.

I'm hyped for this and I pretty much completed ignored the first. Switch had this weird.. pull. It's not like it's making me buy games for the sake of it either, I actually end up playing all of them a lot.

I think its because you can play anywhere and because Switch is super snappy. You are in and out of games in seconds.

oti

Banned
I'm hyped for this and I pretty much completely ignored the first. Switch had this weird.. pull. It's not like it's making me buy games for the sake of it either, I actually end up playing all of them a lot.

I'm curious how the West will react to it. Anything other than a huge mega hit in Japan would be a huge upset though.

I'm curious how the West will react to it. Anything other than a huge mega hit in Japan would be a huge upset though.

Well, Splatoon sold around 3 million units in the west on Wii U, so Splatoon 2 is probably going to sell around 5 million at least outside Japan.

Branduil

To be fair, this is about Mario Kart 8. And the game selling right now is Mario Kart 8 DX

Remasters, GOTY editions, and ports are generally counted when determining the total sales of a title. I mean, it's wrong even without them, but it is funny just how much Mario Kart 8 is going to sell in the end, and how long its life will be.

faint.

Every single time a best-selling chart is posted I'm more surprised at GTA V still being in some ridiculous spot after some 4 years.

13ruce

Banned
Every single time a best-selling chart is posted I'm more surprised at GTA V still being in some ridiculous spot after some 4 years.

Well the online experience is pretty damn good only the beginning can be a huge grind tbh. But when you own a few companies it certainly becomes fantastic and less of a grind. Also a huge blast with friends so ican see why it sells so good.

Zalman

I wonder if Nintendo will release any statements soon. That's what they did with the original MK8 when it did 1.2 million the first weekend.

I was lurking the media create threads for all of the "squids got legs"posts when splatoon was killing it in Japan,yet that 4.8 MIL number for the first game still blows my mind. Wonder how high this on can go.

I was lurking the media create threads for all of the "squids got legs"posts when splatoon was killing it in Japan,yet that 4.8 MIL number for the first game still blows my mind. Wonder how high this on can go.

Gonna be really interesting because Splatoon, reflect Pokémon two decades before it, opened to mild success but has built up a large, very loyal fanbase through sheer length of sales. Given the demo alone was enough to bump Switch sales, we can expect the launch to be a lot larger than the previous game - but will the legs similarly hold out? That is the question, and it will be intriguing.

Astral Dog

Its incredibly how much Iwata was wrong about saying games sell systems and hardware is not important at all when talking Wii U i wish he was here to see the success he helped create :(

Vinc

I wonder how much of that success can be pinned on the incredible boxart.

I seriously think it has a big impact. What an eye-catching boxart that is.

Plainsong

I really liked the concept at the reveal and was definitely interested in the Switch. Zelda tipped me over the edge and I pre-ordered and got my Switch on release. I never played Splatoon either but I feel like I have to buy S2. The console just has something about it that makes me almost need to pick it up and play - I literally can't leave it alone. I've done more hours gaming on this thing since March than I have on my XB1 and PS4 combined this year - and I've bought more software.

Amazing news for MK8 as well. Well done Nintendo.

Protome

I wonder how much of that success can be pinned on the incredible boxart.

I seriously think it has a big impact. What an eye-catching boxart that is.

There isn't a huge retail presence for games in the UK, especially not Switch ones. At least, anecdotally based on Edinburgh. Boxart might have caught people's eye when online shopping on amazon or whatever but I think that's less likely.

For reference, here's the Switch section in my local Tesco. It's a bit of an old picture but when I went in yesterday they didn't even have Mario Kart there either.

Oregano

There isn't a huge retail presence for games in the UK, especially not Switch ones. At least, anecdotally based on Edinburgh. Boxart might have caught people's eye when online shopping on amazon or whatever but I think that's less likely.

For reference, here's the Switch section in my local Tesco. It's a bit of an old picture but when I went in yesterday they didn't even have Mario Kart there either.

That's an improvement from like a year or two ago when Tesco didn't carry Nintendo stuff at all. Even Amiibos are a relatively recent thing.

Protome

That's an improvement from like a year or two ago when Tesco didn't carry Nintendo stuff at all. Even Amiibos are a relatively recent thing.

Tescos near me never actually stopped stocking Nintendo stuff, even after they said they would. Just reduced the presence slowly over time.

Oregano

Tescos near me never actually stopped stocking Nintendo stuff, even after they said they would. Just reduced the presence slowly over time.

Ahh the Tesco extra near me dropped them altogether. The only supermarket I saw stocking Nintendo stuff was Sainsburys and weirdly the only Amiibo they stocked was Ganondorf...

Top Bottom