• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Movie Showcase Announced for Tomorrow (Posters Revealed)

Rykan

Already pointed out, and pretty self-evident. But if not, then the part where the Peach is now a tough axe warrior, in contrast to her dainty character we're familiar with.
are you serious here mate? You're upset over like 2 seconds of footage where she's carrying an axe for comedic effect?

dainty character? Peach has like 5 or 6 lines of dialogue in a typical Mario Game and spends most of them being captured. Yeah shocking that they didn't go with that for an entire movie. Hardly a betrayal of a well developed and interesting character.

Last edited:

_Ex_

Strong independent princess who don't need no Mario isn't really what the character is. Just like reluctant bumblefuck doofus everyday man isn't representative of the character we know as Mario.

Ding ding, this guy gets it. Well said Shiru.

Davevil

Will Nintendo exploit the long wave of probable success with only reprints of the most famous games .... or will it have time to release a new Mario?

Banned
Will Nintendo exploit the long wave of probable success with only reprints of the most famous games .... or will it have time to release a new Mario?

the next main line Mario will most likely launch either as a latch game for Switch 2 or like last time within the first year of its lifecycle

Fuz

Banned
Another GAF movie thread derailed by anti-woke crusaders trying to score points by desperately trying to find something woke to bitch about in a two minute trailer.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Yeah, because it isn't obvious what they did with the characters and why.

Cyberpunkd

It's cringe. Just like everything else in the trailer. Strong independent princess who don't need no Mario isn't really what the character is. Just like reluctant bumblefuck doofus everyday man isn't representative of the character we know as Mario.
Characters change and evolve.

top gun deal with it GIF

Atrus

Gold Member
I will always imagine Mario as a non-Native English speaker with an Italian accent.

Issa me-a Mah-rio! I a plah-mur who finda de princess!

jaysius

Banned
The three humans have something off. Don't really know what it is, but you know that it is
They made the characters take on features of the voice actors acting them. I'm not sure why, it's really fucking stupid, this is what makes all the characters look off though, you took real human features and tried to add them to completely stylized characters.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Emedan

Yeah, because it isn't obvious what they did with the characters and why.
Ah come on, I'm a crusader as much as the next one but to say this to be leaning into modern wokeism is too much. It's looking good, yeah Peach is a powerwoman, but who cares enjoy the rest.

MAtgS

We literally saw what happened with the penguins when they were overconfident & fought back. Girlboss Peach is getting her ass kicked & is probably only spared capture by Mario saving her last second. Which is what leads them to think Mario must be the one to beat Bowser so they put him through the Ninja Warrior Wipeout course for training & send him to the other kingdoms to stop Bowser. Peach is basically a tagalong sidekick at this point.

Peach probably gets some big victory moment later (Kamek is literally only in this movie for the purpose of being taken out by either her, Luigi, or Toad) but Mario's still the one that beats Bowser in the end.

Last edited:

Saber

We literally saw what happened with the penguins when they were overconfident & fought back. Girlboss Peach is getting her ass kicked & is probably only spared capture by Mario saving her last second. Which is what leads them to think Mario must be the one to beat Bowser so they put him through the Ninja Warrior Wipeout course for training & send him to the other kingdoms to stop Bowser. Peach is basically a tagalong sidekick at this point.

Peach probably gets some big victory moment later (Kamek is literally only in this movie for the purpose of being taken out by either her, Luigi, or Toad) but Mario's still the one that beats Bowser in the end.

Well, its his movie afterall. But from the looks of it, I will risk a guess that only at the very battle against Bowser he will be the triumphant hero. Mario will probably look like a soy milk drinker during the entire movie.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

John Bilbo

Yeah I think Peach is gonna carry that halberd for maybe half a scene and throw it away for comedic effect or get rid of it as it becomes useless.

This is a Mario movie after all, not Dark Souls.

Holammer

top gun deal with it GIF
Screen_Shot_2018-07-19_at_3.02.54_PM.jpg

Let's keep it real here, that's not Mario's or any other characters new design going forward.
Illumination's Mario will be a legally distinct separate thing with no bearing on lore or character motivations in the Mario Universe. Nothing that happens in the movie will ever be alluded to, or mentioned in future games. Bowser's gonna kidnap Peach or some other McGuffin as usual.

Now go forth brave soldier, please get excite and consume product. Don't forget to remain in your seat for the post-credits Wario tease.

MAtgS

Yeah I think Peach is gonna carry that halberd for maybe half a scene and throw it away for comedic effect or get rid of it as it becomes useless.

This is a Mario movie after all, not Dark Souls.
I've seen someone suggest the halberd is suppose to be the axe. You know, the axe....
SMB_W1-4_Fake_Bowser_Screenshot.png

So it might be the thing that defeats Bowser, until he comes back as Dry Bowser.

John Bilbo

I've seen someone suggest the halberd is suppose to be the axe. You know, the axe....
SMB_W1-4_Fake_Bowser_Screenshot.png

So it might be the thing that defeats Bowser, until he comes back as Dry Bowser.
Ooh! Could be could be... Nice pick! Didn't even think about that.

shiru

Banned
are you serious here mate? You're upset over like 2 seconds of footage where she's carrying an axe for comedic effect?

dainty character? Peach has like 5 or 6 lines of dialogue in a typical Mario Game and spends most of them being captured. Yeah shocking that they didn't go with that for an entire movie. Hardly a betrayal of a well developed and interesting character.
Instead Luigi gets captured and is absent for the entire movie. Very progressive. I don't know why you think I view game Peach as Shakespearean. There's nothing wrong or problematic with portraying characters as they are in actuality.

Nah.

Last edited:

Rykan

Instead Luigi gets captured and is absent for the entire movie. Very progressive. I don't know why you think I view game Peach as Shakespearean. There's nothing wrong or problematic with portraying characters as they are in actuality.

Nah.
Oh you've already seen the movie? Nice.

You are aware that Mario Brothers being captured is literally the plot in several Mario games, right? Both Mario bros get captured in Super Princess Peach. Mario gets captured in several Luigi's mansions games.

In fact, Luigi being captured is so common in Mario games that there is literally a compilation video of all the times Luigi has been captured in Mario Games.

shiru

Banned
Oh you've already seen the movie? Nice.

You are aware that Mario Brothers being captured is literally the plot in several Mario games, right? Both Mario bros get captured in Super Princess Peach. Mario gets captured in several Luigi's mansions games.

In fact, Luigi being captured is so common in Mario games that there is literally a compilation video of all the times Luigi has been captured in Mario Games.
Watch the trailer again, his very first scene he's captured and is absent in every group scene. He won't be part of the adventure. This movie isn't about Super Princes Peach or Luigi's Mansion. Peach gets captured in the main Mario games, is that wrong? Would it be problematic if she'd also get captured in a Mario movie, so that Mario and Luigi, the game protagonists, would rescue her?

Last edited:

Rykan

Watch the trailer again, his very first scene he's captured and is absent in every group scene. He won't be part of the adventure. This movie isn't about Super Princes Peach or Luigi's Mansion. Peach gets captured in the main Mario games, is that wrong? Would it be problematic if she'd also get captured in a Mario movie, so that Mario and Luigi, the game protagonists, would rescue her?
He's present in the scene further in the trailer where Mario is trying to catch him.

"This movie isn't about Super Princess Peach or Luigi's mansion" like what is that even supposed to mean? It's a movie about Mario. It's clearly not supposed to be a 1:1 retelling of any Mario game, and it takes elements from all sorts of different Mario related games. Luigi is seen holding his vacuumcleaner from Luigi's mansion. There's Mario kart in it. Donkey Kong is also part of it, despite him not appearing in any of the main line games either.

There would be nothing wrong with Peach getting captured like in a Mario game. What is wrong is your overexaggeration and calling it "It's like a shitty feminist abomination" just because they chose to have Luigi captured instead of Peach, and I don't think you quite understand just how utterly absurd that statement really is.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
He's present in the scene further in the trailer where Mario is trying to catch him.

"This movie isn't about Super Princess Peach or Luigi's mansion" like what is that even supposed to mean? It's a movie about Mario. It's clearly not supposed to be a 1:1 retelling of any Mario game, and it takes elements from all sorts of different Mario related games. Luigi is seen holding his vacuumcleaner from Luigi's mansion. There's Mario kart in it. Donkey Kong is also part of it, despite him not appearing in any of the main line games either.

There would be nothing wrong with Peach getting captured like in a Mario game. What is wrong is your overexaggeration and calling it "Woke" just because they chose to have Luigi captured instead of Peach, and I don't think you quite understand just how utterly absurd that statement really is.
You said Mario/Luigi are captured in spinoff games, this movie isn't an adaptation of those spinoff games, are thus irrelevant. I doubt, highly doubt, the decision to have Luigi captured instead of Peach was inspired by those games. It wouldn't be politically correct to have a damsel in distress in a western movie after all, twitter warriors would have a field day. I didn't call the movie 'woke' because of that, I said it was cringe and corny to "change and evolve" established characters for political reasons.

Last edited:

Rykan

You said Mario/Luigi gets captured in spinoff games, this movie isn't an adaptation of those spinoff games, are thus irrelevant. I doubt, highly doubt, the decision to have Luigi get captured instead of Peach was inspired by those games. It wouldn't be politically correct to have a damsel in distress in a western movie after all, twitter warriors would have a field day. I didn't call the movie 'woke' because of that, I said it was cringe and corny to "change and evolve" characters for political reasons.
This point has already been defeated, why do you keep repeating it? The Mario Movie isn't a direct adaptation of any particular Mario game. It has elements from all sorts of spin offs. Which mainline Mario game has Luigi's vaccuum cleaner in it? Which one has Mario fighting Donkey Kong? Which one has Mario kart in it?

The only thing that's cringe and corny here is your insistence that they changed and evolve for "political reasons". No, Peach was changed and evolved because Peach personality is literally screaming "MARRIIOOO!" while she's being whisked away.That's it. That's all the material they have to work with.

It's a "Western Movie" but the entire thing is overseen closely by Nintendo. Mario Odyssey was released a few years ago, and it had Princess Peach being captured as its main plot. So now you're in this weird place where you have to believe that Nintendo is somehow "super political" for its movies but not for its games. Or you can just join the rest of us in common sense Land and drop this frankly ridiculous culture war nonsense. Your choice

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
This point has already been defeated, why do you keep repeating it? The Mario Movie isn't a direct adaptation of any particular Mario game. It has elements from all sorts of spin offs. Which mainline Mario game has Luigi's vaccuum cleaner in it? Which one has Mario fighting Donkey Kong? Which one has Mario kart in it?

The only thing that's cringe and corny here is your insistence that they changed and evolve for "political reasons". No, Peach was changed and evolved because Peach personality is literally screaming "MARRIIOOO!" while she's being whisked away.That's it. That's all the material they have to work with.

It's a "Western Movie" but the entire thing is overseen closely by Nintendo. Mario Odyssey was released a few years ago, and it had Princess Peach being captured as its main plot. So now you're in this weird place where you have to believe that Nintendo is somehow "super political" for its movies but not for its games. Or you can just join the rest of us in common sense Land and drop this frankly ridiculous culture war nonsense. Your choice
It's a freaking Mario movie, that it has references to other games is not relevant, we know the story in Mario games, Mario and Luigi go YAY and save the princess, not UGH WHAT'S HAPPENING.

Please. Don't be disingenuous, it is no mere coincidence or accident you now have a princess taking charge and flicking a halberd ready to kick Bowser's ass instead of the damsel in distress role of the games. Even if that's all they had to work with, it's not the point, because Mario and Luigi are the titular characters.

It's a collaboration, Illumination also has input and likely the reason for the changes, not Nintendo who's likely just going along with it to avoid controversy in a major film using their properties.

frankly ridiculous culture war nonsense
They are the ones who made the decision to change established characters. No one asked them to do so.

Last edited:

Rykan

It's a freaking Mario movie, that it has references to other games is not relevant, we know the story in Mario games, Mario and Luigi go YAY and save the princess, not UGH WHAT'S HAPPENING.
It's a movie about Mario as a franchise. You keep insisting that it's only about the mainline games, but you can offer no evidence that this is the case. What is considered a "mainline" Mario game is up for debate and there are several Mario games where "Save the princess" is not part of the game and Princess Peach is actually a playable character. Prove that this movie was intended to be about the MAINLINE Mario games only, or concede that this point has been defeated by the fact that the movie takes several elements from all kinds of different Mario games.
Please. Don't be disingenuous, it is no mere coincidence or accident you now have a princess taking charge and flicking a halberd ready to kick Bowser's ass instead of the damsel in distress role of the games. Even if that's all they had to work with, it's not the point, because Mario and Luigi are the titular characters.
I LOVE, LOVE that you're so obsessed with these 2 seconds of her "Flicking a halberd" despite the fact that she's not seen using it anywhere else in the footage. She's not a damsel in distress in several Mario games. We've already established that.
It's a collaboration, Illumination also has input and likely the reason for the changes, not Nintendo who's likely just going along with it to avoid controversy in a major film

They are the ones who made the decision to change established characters.
This is hilarious. You think NINTENDO of all companies is going to just let another company push them around and decide what happens with their characters? You clearly have no idea how protective Nintendo is of their IP. Go ahead. Explain to me why Nintendo would make Peach like this "Just to avoid controversy" while not doing the same for their latest Mario Game, which sold over 20m copies without any controversy.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
It's a movie about Mario as a franchise. You keep insisting that it's only about the mainline games, but you can offer no evidence that this is the case. What is considered a "mainline" Mario game is up for debate and there are several Mario games where "Save the princess" is not part of the game and Princess Peach is actually a playable character. Prove that this movie was intended to be about the MAINLINE Mario games only, or concede that this point has been defeated by the fact that the movie takes several elements from all kinds of different Mario games.
Don't know what to say. Bowser appears and threatens to invade the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario shows up, attempts to stop him. Sounds oddly similar to the plot of a Mario game.

I LOVE, LOVE that you're so obsessed with these 2 seconds of her "Flicking a halberd" despite the fact that she's not seen using it anywhere else in the footage. She's not a damsel in distress in several Mario games. We've already established that.
Project some more. Her very first scene and introduction already differs greatly from the games, as though meant to subvert expectations.

This is hilarious. You think NINTENDO of all companies is going to just let another company push them around and decide what happens with their characters? You clearly have no idea how protective Nintendo is of their IP. Go ahead. Explain to me why Nintendo would make Peach like this "Just to avoid controversy" while not doing the same for their latest Mario Game, which sold over 20m copies without any controversy.
They are not turning Mario into a drug drealer or Peach into a prostitute. Plot isn't a major thing in Mario games, people play them for the gameplay. Plot in a movie is, well, everything, and not comparable, since people can't simply ignore it.

Rykan

Don't know what to say. Bowser appears and threatens to invade the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario shows up, attempts to stop him. Sounds oddly similar to the plot of a Mario game.
What you need to do is concede that your insistence that this movie is intended to only portray what you personally consider "main line" Mario games is objectively false.
Project some more. Her very first scene and introduction already differs greatly from the games, as though meant to subvert expectations.
So does Mario and so does Luigi's. These characters, including Peach, don't have a personality to begin with.
They are not turning Mario into a drug drealer or Peach into a prostitute. Plot isn't a major thing in Mario games, people play them for the gameplay. Plot in a movie is, well, everything, and not comparable, since people can't simply ignore it.
You are SO close to understanding the real reason why certain characters were changed. These characters were changed because a bunch of Wahoo! and "MAARRIIOOO" yelps are not material that you can make a movie out of. They clearly want Peach to play a more prominent role in the movie and the only way to do that properly is to adjust her personality.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I'm the first in line against the resetera horde, but you guys can't be serious arguing about fucking Mario lore.

How can you possibly complain about Peach grabbing a halberd and not being kidnapped? Come on guys.

Miyamoto supervised every second of this thing, he is the daddy, it's Miyamoto approved.

shiru

Banned
What you need to do is concede that your insistence that this movie is intended to only portray what you personally consider "main line" Mario games is objectively false.

So does Mario and so does Luigi's. These characters, including Peach, don't have a personality to begin with.

You are SO close to understanding the real reason why certain characters were changed.
Mkay. I don't like how the movie looks so I don't need to concede anything. I personally would have loved to watch a Mario movie more in line with the Mario & Luigi games, with the characters being mostly mute and only mumbling pseudo italian (voiced by Charles Martinet of course), and relying on visual humor. Similar to Mr. Bean or a Chaplin movie. No one is gonna say the M&L games didn't work wonderfully as storytelling games, but I doubt the uncreative hacks at Illumination could even conceive anything like it. Instead we get cookie cutter pap for the masses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom