• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MarketWatch: "Ben Affleck is the saddest Hollywood star, according to new movie data"

From MarketWatch:

The ”Sad Affleck" meme went viral last year and now it turns out Ben Affleck may officially be the saddest star in Hollywood.

Stephen Follows, a U.K.-based film producer and leading film data researcher, evaluated high-profile actors' emotions by collecting movie posters for films released between 2000 and 2016 and running them through Microsoft's Azure Emotion engine.

Follows selected 64 Hollywood stars based on their fame and had them analyzed by Azure, tracking seven emotions (anger, contempt, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness and surprise). He then calculated the median value for each star and compared it to all actors that were featured on movie posters, not just the 64 he had chosen.

When it came to the saddest Hollywood stars who have appeared on movie posters this century, Affleck came out on top, followed by Ryan Gosling and Bruce Willis. Angelina Jolie was the saddest-looking female star, coming in sixth.

The ”Sad Affleck" meme went viral when the star glumly responded to the critical backlash against ”Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" while undergoing a promotional tour of the movie. Uncertainty surrounds Affleck's return as Batman while the high-profile separation and divorce from his ex-wife, Jennifer Garner, may have compounded his sadness.

SadAuthenticM me if old

caliph95

_tZdi5rY23rzz_J0HXWWp02kHe61fSEgulsvPL8zy1e88pFAo-d3ibPkXICcB6ENoIq9niuL4vVeqksmpbSwW8KIUmj8qNyN77SYC9Qu5WTHNA=w480-h270-nc

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Some person on neogaf did what the Joker never could: destroy Batman.

Dynomutt

I mean what do you expect? As a child he was diagnosed with a high-functioning form of autism, his mother abandoned the family, and his father put him through a brutal regimen of mental and physical martial arts training.

Wait...

kmfdmpig

If it were based on a sampling of out and about photos it may have some meaning. If it's on movie posters, which are staged a certain way and in which the actors are acting then I don't think it really means anything.

Top Bottom