• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Taps Geneva Robertson-Dworet To Script ‘Captain Marvel’

Link.

Marvel has set Geneva Robertson-Dworet to take over and write the script for Captain Marvel, the Brie Larson-starrer that will be directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (Mississippi Grind). Meg LeFauve & Nicole Perlman originally were set to write the script, but LeFauve had to leave to co-direct the Disney Animation pic Gigantic. That creates a big opportunity for Robertson-Dworet, whose script credits include the upcoming Tomb Raider pic for MGM that stars Alicia Vikander, and Gotham City Sirens, an expansion of the Suicide Squad franchise which David Ayer is looking to direct with Margot Robbie reprising her role as Harley Quinn for Warner Bros. She has made the Black List twice, most recently for Ares, which got set at MGM and has Anna Foerster directing.
So what happened with the script they had been working on since 2015? Same thing as with The Batman?

tomtom94

Perlman also originally wrote GOTG and then Gunn rewrote it in about a year and a half into a completely different film.

SArcher

Banned
Perlman also originally wrote GOTG and then Gunn rewrote it in about a year and a half into a completely different film.

Actually, interviews with Perlman strongly indicated that Gunn was full of shit about his own contribution. He was taking credit for stuff he didn't come up with.

If Gunn actually had rewritten everything to the level he says, Perlman wouldn't have gotten a writer's credit. Like for example, Gary Whitta wrote the first draft of Rogue One, and gets a story credit, but the majority of it got tossed. Just how it works.

Yeah I wrote a captain marvel draft too

Probably just you pooping on a typewriter

Kayhan

Has she written a film that was actually released and was successful?

I wish these marvel movies paid as much attention to the scripts as the direction.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Slightly disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing how Perlman's influence would look. Watching Guardians 2, I know what a pure Gunn script looks like. Since then I've kinda (unfairly) attributed the restraint in the first movie with her contribution to the script. But who knows.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Why do Marvel Studios seem so keen on bagging relatively inexperienced writers and directors for a lot of their projects?

Mariolee

Meg LeFauve & Nicole Perlman originally were set to write the script, but LeFauve had to leave to co-direct the Disney Animation pic Gigantic.

Does that mean Perlman will be working with Robertson-Dworet or is Perlman basically done Gary Whitta Rogue One-style (Or Perlman-GotG-style)?

Blader

If Gunn actually had rewritten everything to the level he says, Perlman wouldn't have gotten a writer's credit. Like for example, Gary Whitta wrote the first draft of Rogue One, and gets a story credit, but the majority of it got tossed. Just how it works.

Writer's guild is usually pretty generous to the original writer(s) on a screenplay.

The Kree

Banned
Entertainment writers, man.

Edit: She must have good connections, good potential, or both, because she has a lot of movies listed as in production for somebody without a completed movie on her IMDB.

I think the majority of writers in Hollywood have little to none of their work on screen because studios treat it like farming and they just pick what they think is the best stuff from the bunch. You don't have to have your writing filmed to be working. She might be on the cusp of a big come up.

Geist-

Why do Marvel Studios seem so keen on bagging relatively inexperienced writers and directors for a lot of their projects?

It's definitely up in the air on whether she's any good, but Disney seems to be a pretty good judge of talent, so personally I'm happy with it. New blood can mean new ideas.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Geneva Robertson-Dworet

Code:
Writer (7 credits)
 2018 Tomb Raider (script) (post-production) 
  Dungeons & Dragons (writer) (announced) 
  Gotham City Sirens (announced) 
  M.A.S.K.: Mobile Armored Strike Kommand (announced) 
  ROM (announced) 
  Sherlock Holmes 3 (announced) 
  Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light (announced)

More interesting,
They're making a M.A.S.K. movie?

Geneva Robertson-Dworet

Code:
Writer (7 credits)
  ROM (announced) 

More interesting,
That and ROM are part of the upcoming Hasbroverse with Transformers and GI Joe.

Busty

Banned
The only way this is news is if this is a page one rewrite seeing as this film already has a release date and even then I'm not sure how big a deal it is in this day and age.

Reivaxe

Sooooo ... Perlman working with Geneva now or is she leaving to?

Actually, interviews with Perlman strongly indicated that Gunn was full of shit about his own contribution. He was taking credit for stuff he didn't come up with.

Yeah, seeing how Disney would know wtf is going on behind the scenes I would think that they wouldn't ask Perlman to come back for another film if Gunn HAD to and actually DID rewrite everything.

Kinyou

Geneva Robertson-Dworet

Code:
Writer (7 credits)
  ROM (announced) 

More interesting,
So her first movie isn't even out yet and she's already hired for 7 other movies? Makes me wonder how these things work.

Loona

Good grief, Marvel use of the Captain Marvel name always had a problem with that being a name in search of a story, instead of the other way around, which would be more reasonable, but this is ridiculous...

Eh, could be worse. She's a newcomer.

Well the WGA is pretty shifty when it comes to credit, so I don't know if I'd trust what anyone says. I mean most Hollywood blockbusters technically have ten writers attached to them, considering how often films are rewritten.

The Kree

Banned
Zak Penn got a writing credit on Avengers and Whedon used none of his script. Sometimes that stuff is just part of a contract.

So her first movie isn't even out yet and she's already hired for 7 other movies? Makes me wonder how these things work.

It's the Blacklist thing mentioned in the article. Basically, she wrote an original script that she was shopping around. It got some Hollywood buzz. So now studios are picking her up for their projects. They may eventually make her original script, but right now, she gets paid.

It's the Blacklist thing mentioned in the article. Basically, she wrote an original script that she was shopping around. It got some Hollywood buzz. So now studios are picking her up for their projects. They may eventually make her original script, but right now, she gets paid.

Yep, that's how Misha Green got put her on with her Sunflower script on the Blacklist in 2008 that still has never been made, and yet there was a bidding war this year that Netflix won for her next original film script titled Mother.

Top Bottom