• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

I already can see Leon's special. When you activate it Claire will appear out of nowhere in front of the opponent, then Leon will say "Get down!", she will do as told giving the opportunity to Leon shoot the opponent.

Ryce

Leon could play very differently from Chris.
He'd still have a handgun, shotgun, machine gun, grenades, and so forth as special moves, though. We're obviously not going to get both of them, and if it's one or the other I'd rather they recycle Chris from MvC3 and put the effort into someone more fundamentally unique than Leon.

I think it'd be weird to cut Chris and replace him with Leon, who is essentially the same character from a gameplay perspective. It's a waste of Chris' MvC3 animations. It'd be like cutting Ryu only to create Ken from scratch. Chris was a main character in RE6 and is DLC in RE7, so it's not like his star has fallen since MvC3.

(Note: This is just speculation. I don't know if Chris or Leon are in the game.)

Counter-point: Chris can't have a hey it's that dog super.

Neoxon

Made a roster because why not.

Capcom

Ryu, Chun-Li, Rashid, Morrigan, Lord Raptor, Mega Man X, Zero, Sigma, Leon, Claire Redfield, Nina, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Trish, Amaterasu, Strider Hiryu, Spencer, Asura

Marvel

Iron Man, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, Venom, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Black Widow, Hulk, Utron, Thor, Loki, Songbird, Hawkeye, Punisher, Rocket Raccoon, Star Lord
If honestly swap Punisher for Daredevil. And no Thanos?

Skab

He'd still have a handgun, shotgun, machine gun, grenades, and so forth as special moves, though. We're obviously not going to get both of them, and if it's one or the other I'd rather they recycle Chris from MvC3 and put the effort into someone more fundamentally unique than Leon.

Why do you assume that?

Handgun, sure. The rest doesn't have to be there. He could be way more melee oriented.

Its like saying RE1 Jill would have to play like Chris, yet look at what they did with her in MvC2.

There is plenty of room to get creative.

I feel like Leon could definitely be distanced from Chris a bit. A moveset centered more around his combat knife and suplexes would be be neat.

I think it'd be weird to cut Chris and replace him with Leon, who is essentially the same character from a gameplay perspective. It's a waste of Chris' MvC3 animations. It'd be like cutting Ryu only to create Ken from scratch. Chris was a main character in RE6 and is DLC in RE7, so it's not like his star has fallen since MvC3.

(Note: This is just speculation. I don't know if Chris or Leon are in the game.)

I could see Leon being more melee focused rather than gun focused. Maybe just use a bunch of dope ass handguns instead of the grenade launcher and such.

Or use his knife and stuff more in combat, make him like Cody or something.

Ryce

Why do you assume that?

Handgun, sure. The rest doesn't have to be there. He could be way more melee oriented.

Its like saying RE1 Jill would have to play like Chris, yet look at what they did with her in MvC2.

There is plenty of room to get creative.
MvC2 characters were designed before Capcom gave a shit about the source material. MvC2 Jill and Tron are essentially original characters. The MvC3 versions of Chris, Wesker, Jill, and Nemesis are very faithfully reproduced from their source games, and so I'd have to imagine that Leon would play similarly to Chris. They're both male Resident Evil protagonists with access to the same (or very similar) weaponry.

Skab

MvC2 characters were designed before Capcom gave a shit about the source material. MvC2 Jill and Tron are essentially original characters. The MvC3 versions of Chris, Wesker, Jill, and Nemesis are very faithfully reproduced from their source games, and so I'd have to imagine that Leon would play similarly to Chris. They're both male Resident Evil protagonists with access to the same (or very similar) weaponry.

You can have Leon be different from Chris and still have it be faithful to the source material.

I have to question if you even played RE4?

7AA9D920E8202E23602A58B9D27013695502B53F

Edit: On the subject of Leon with guns though, I just thought of an amazing idea for a super.

The merchant pops up, says "what are ya buyin?" and then you get to pick a weapon from him via l/m/h/whatever the buttons turn out to be, which each resulting in a different attack for the rest of the super.

Ryce

You can have Leon be different from Chris and still have it be faithful to the source material.

I have to question if you even played RE4?
The German Suplex would probably be Leon's throw, like the one Vega and Nash have. Like I said, I think Ryu and Ken are an apt comparison. They have unique standard attacks but still occupy the same aesthetic archetype.

Weiss

Banned
I'd see Leon as someone who uses guns to rack up physical combos, rather than a shootbang character like Chris.

Mostly I just want a summoner character like MvC2 Jill and TvC Frank.

Skab

The German Suplex would probably be Leon's throw, like the one Vega and Nash have. Like I said, I think Ryu and Ken are an apt comparison. They have unique standard attacks but still occupy the same aesthetic archetype.

You're missing the point. Leon has always had a lot of melee oriented moves they could pull from. He doesn't have to be a Ken to Chris's Ryu. They could make him completely different from Chris and still be faithful, even IF he still had, say, a handgun.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

Jawmuncher

I'd see Leon as someone who uses guns to rack up physical combos, rather than a shootbang character like Chris.

Mostly I just want a summoner character like MvC2 Jill and TvC Frank.

Still say Regina summoning dinosaurs is still the best course. Even her DR3 cosplay appearance had that a little bit. Fits better than two characters using zombies (if MVc2 Jill and Frank both came back).

Weiss

Banned
There is zero chance Marvel doesn't want Thanos in with his two big movies coming up.

Except

- Marvel games aren't beholden to the MCU.

- The game is already advertising "a new threat" that is all but confirmed to be Sigma and Ultron.

Neoxon

Except

- The game is already advertising "a new threat" that is all but confirmed to be Sigma and Ultron.
Not in story, but Marvel tends to prioritize MCU characters in recent games (with a few exceptions, like Ms. Marvel).

Weiss

Banned
Not in story, but Marvel tends to prioritize MCU characters in recent games (with a few exceptions, like Ms. Marvel).

Yeah but if Thanos isn't going to be the final boss then there's no point for him to be there.

I'd wager most anything that unless there's some drastic shift in what we've seen, Thanos won't be in and Ultron-Sigma will be the final boss.

Skab

Except

- Marvel games wasn't beholden to the MCU when MvC3/UMvC3 was being made either. Didn't stop them from putting in upcoming MCU stars.

- You can have that new threat be in and still have Thanos. He could be a hidden boss. They could make the new threat, an entity made from combing two different universes, be on par with Thanos. You could depower Thanos for the sake of the game. Etc.

Besides, I wouldn't be expecting too much from the story here.

Neoxon

Yeah but if Thanos isn't going to be the final boss then there's no point for him to be there.

I'd wager most anything that unless there's some drastic shift in what we've seen, Thanos won't be in and Ultron-Sigma will be the final boss.
*points at Darkseid in Injustice 2, despite Brainiac being marketed as the big bad of the game*

Yes, Darkseid is pre-order DLC, but that's likely because of WB Games (see Goro in MKX).

Pachinko

Is it safe to assume we probably won't be hearing a thing about this game until E3 now ? with perhaps a little bit more at EVO 2017 a few weeks later ?

I'm still expecting 32 characters at launch , probably just 8 available whenever the first beta drops. 16 Marvel/ 16 capcom split across with 8 good/8bad for each block. Then DLC packs following every few months with 2-4 characters each. If the support is there, final character total could be 48 or even 56 after 18-24 months.

Sigma and Ultron merge to form Sigmatron.

Only the jobbers of the MCU and the Capcom universe can stop them!!

Thanos and Necalli must merge to form.... Nethanos.

Jawmuncher

Sigma and Ultron even combined are pretty whack, so I'd be cool with thanos showing up at the end to show them how things are done.

Skab

And I mean, you can't really take power levels very seriously in a series where a team of Felicia, Tron Bonne, and Phoenix Wright can defeat Galactus.

Neoxon

I wonder if Capcom would make SigTron the Arcade Mode boss 3 waves (Ultron, Sigma, Fused)

and Thanos the (secret, hidden) boss of the Story Mode.
Maybe secret to get within Arcade Mode or the Cinematic Story Mode (meet certain conditions to fight Thanos), but I doubt that you'd have to unlock Thanos to play as him. Capcom kinda moved away from unlockable characters in the last few years (DLC characters aside).

TreIII

To be fair, they're probably gonna have Marvel writers do the MvCI story rather than Capcom writers.

Like I said before: I just hope whatever Marvel writers they get bother to do a bit more research for the Capcom side than just lurking a wiki or two for a few minutes!

Thanos/Pyron! Thanos/Pyron! Thanos/Pyron!

I do believe it would be weird not to have Thanos in a game with Infinity Gems, but I will note that he could technically be there and not be the big bad. He was in MvC2 and had nothing to do with it's story, however little there was to it.

Like I said before: I just hope whatever Marvel writers they get bother to do a bit more research for the Capcom side than just lurking a wiki or two for a few minutes!

Didn't Frank Tieri confirm he's involved? Might be out of luck there if that's the case.

J-Tier

Maybe secret to get within Arcade Mode or the Cinematic Story Mode (meet certain conditions to fight Thanos), but I doubt that you'd have to unlock Thanos to play as him. Capcom kinda moved away from unlockable characters in the last few years (DLC characters aside).
I hope thats the case. Having unlockable characters again would irk me. Having to unlock Akuma, Sentinel, Hsien-Ko, and Taskmaster for MvC3 when all my mates were ready to play day 1 was very annoying.

Am I the only one who's wants Team Africa: Elena and Sheva?

Two highly unlikely character designs that somehow managed to be created by a Japanese company...legit miracles.

I would feel obligated to actually learn Marvel (rather than just owning a copy of the game) and win EVO out of respect.

Top Bottom