• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

To be fair, I low-key got one of the Marvel guys who's on the MvCI staff to spoil the Soul Stone's resurrection ability on Twitter.
Not the resurrection thing, the fact that he specifically mentioned Winter Soldier.

I mean, I get the reference there, but that's still specific.

Too specific...

I'm calling Velociraptor.

Ryce

Ryce, do you know what the Mind and Soul Gems will do? I know you wrote resurrection for Soul's Surge, but I wonder if you can fill in the "V-Skills" for both and Mind's Surge.
I'm not sure, I haven't heard much about the gameplay. I'm just assuming the Soul Stone will have a resurrection ability based on its canonical powers and the fact that your partner remains on screen after dying.

Not the resurrection thing, the fact that he specifically mentioned Winter Soldier.

I mean, I get the reference there, but that's still specific.
I just think it'd be a fun nod to him "coming back from the dead" in the comics/movies.

sinkfla87

I'm not sure, I haven't heard much about the gameplay. I'm just assuming the Soul Stone will have a resurrection ability based on its canonical powers and the fact that your partner remains on screen after dying.

I just think it'd be a fun nod to him "coming back from the dead" in the comics/movies.

Sure....
Velociraptor fapping intensifies.

Neoxon

Still, I feel like Winter Soldier may be DLC. We already have one Capcom character who's unaccounted for in the base roster (going off of the .zip leak), assuming that Winter Soldier is Day 1 would increase that to 2. But at the same time. Winter Soldier being there on Day 1 would make it to where MvCI matches Vanilla MvC3 in Day 1 roster count.

So he was the last boss in all of the Strider games, eh?

I beat Strider 2 a few yrs ago and didn't really know much about this guy back then. Okay. I'm interested in seeing how he'll look now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
LMAO @ people being now happy with 32 characters... (not aimed at anyone here, just in general)

Lowered expectations all up in this bitch.

That's STILL LOWER than vanilla Marvel 3 a game that made its characters from scratch. Most of the roster of Marvel Infinite even with the rumored 32 characters is still copy/pasta.

Do not applaud Capcom for that shit for a single second. Do not celebrate them for delivering below the expectation set by the series before it.

I don't think you should be dick-ish about people being happy that they are getting more characters than they expected. I meant 6 more characters than our original expectation is pretty good. It might open the gate that we might see more characters than we expected.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I don't think you should be dick-ish about people being happy that they are getting more characters than they expected. I meant 6 more characters than our original expectation is pretty good. It might open the gate that we might see more characters than we expected.

But chances are those expectations were originally higher and were lowered once everything came to light.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Those 4 + Venom bring a lot of playstyle diversity that was lacking up until this point, thankfully.

Yup, those characters were sore missing from the base roster imo since few of the characters actually bring more diversity to the play style.

This is pure speculation, but my most optimistic-yet-plausible assessment of the .zip leak would be...

Playable Characters (13 veterans & 4 newcomers per side)

It's just exactly what I'm thinking but I noticed that you actually didn't include Ant-Man so what's up with that?

Grandmaster Meio definitely makes more sense as a base roster rep. Him being DLC would be random as fuck.

He would be an interesting character for sure but I have a concern that he might be just a boss character. I meant Gamora make her appearance in the trailer, and she got her own profile and pictures. Yet they didn't reveal Grandmaster Meio and we haven't seen any pictures of him in the battle or so.

I would love to be wrong on that matters.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm just excited we finally get Venom back. (Pls god let it be Brock.)

Now gimme that sweet Spidey reveal.

Also game needs more Spider-Man villains.

Besides the usual chun li and dante face arguments... Is there something about another character you find not to your liking?

Like for me, I dont know what it is... But Dr. Strange looks weird. I think it has something to do with his feet/shoes for me. Idk.. He just seems off compared to his UMVC3 counterpart

Dahbomb

Besides the usual chun li and dante face arguments... Is there something about another character you find not to your liking?

Like for me, I dont know what it is... But Dr. Strange looks weird. I think it has something to do with his feet/shoes for me. Idk.. He just seems off compared to his UMVC3 counterpart
Captain America has the dead eyes going along with absurd body proportions. MM and Zero have a weird porcelain face that clashes with everything else.

Spencer looks hella caveman status. Not to mention just about everything about his moveset looks and feels wack. Ryu doesn't look all that great, inoffensive at best.

I am ok with the rest of the cast.

Kouichi

Venom on the base roster would go a long way in bumping up my interest in the roster. I hope we get to see him and Monster Hunter in action soon.

I'd be okay with Eddie or Flash Venom but it's totally going to Eddie. No doubt.

Captain America has the dead eyes going along with absurd body proportions. MM and Zero have a weird porcelain face that clashes with everything else.

Spencer looks hella caveman status. Not to mention just about everything about his moveset looks and feels wack. Ryu doesn't look all that great, inoffensive at best.

I actually agree, with adding in my previous strange comment.

I dunno, my first reaction was "Why the hell is Chris Redfield as fucking juiced as Cap?".

Their proportions are out of control.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm really curious about Venom's moveset since he haven't make his appearance ever since MVC2, just like Thanos. Thanos just had his moveset revamped so I wonder if it could apply to Venom as well.

I can't help but wonder if they still have some characters up in their sleeves to surprise the fans. I'm pretty much consent with what we are going to get at the moment.

That possibility has been something I've considered as well. You have Ryce's leak and the zip leak where Ant-Man isn't listed. Both sources appear to be incomplete, so there could easily be more characters that aren't on either list.

My expectations are extremely low, but that would be a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, I just like bring told to defeat the final boss at the very beginning
LOL, I dig.

I'm really curious about Venom's moveset since he haven't make his appearance ever since MVC2, just like Thanos. Thanos just had his moveset revamped so I wonder if it could apply to Venom as well.

I've always wanted him or Maximum Carnage to just fight like this:
https://youtu.be/b4Li0uOSR58?t=3453

King of like Spider-man mixed with Dhalsim.

We actually have reason to believe that the base roster may be around 32-34 characters on Day 1 thanks to the .zip leak.
Oh right, forgot about that.
Hopefully it's true and not the 28 base roster plus some DLC.

LMAO @ people being now happy with 32 characters... (not aimed at anyone here, just in general)

Lowered expectations all up in this bitch.

That's STILL LOWER than vanilla Marvel 3 a game that made its characters from scratch. Most of the roster of Marvel Infinite even with the rumored 32 characters is still copy/pasta.

Do not applaud Capcom for that shit for a single second. Do not celebrate them for delivering below the expectation set by the series before it.
I wouldn't be exactly happy with 32 characters but it's better than 28 lol

uppercut

Neo Member
Capcom and Marvel forgot this game is essentially a fan service game. All people really want to do is use their favorite Marvel characters and favorite Capcom characters and have fun. Yet all they focused on was making it more accessible, that's where they fucked up. Their priorities were in the wrong place. Capcom are too focused on sales and trying to get people in that it's tainting the product which is nothing new for them. Marvel is too focused on promoting their movies instead on their entire line of characters which is just stupid on their behalf. All in all this game will probably bomb and the only people they can blame are themselves. Can't blame the fans when you have the demand and then taint the product with clearly stupid decisions and the lack of care is as obvious as the day is long.

I completely agree with this. I do like the mechanics for Infinite though, the video with ComboFiend and Yipes allayed my fears about gameplay.

However, the current roster sucks, it's drab, uninspring and lackluster. I really resent Capcom pushing Iron Man and Captain America so much. I loathe both those characters, they're bland and boring. I don't understand why they don't listen the what the fans want, like the x-men and FF characters. It seems like a simple equation to me, listen to the fans, generate more sales. Everybody's happy.

How many times do we have to say it?

Magneto
Doctor Doom
Sentinel
Dormammu
Super Skrull
Wolverine
Storm
Phoenix
X-23
Cyclops

Also considering the popular Netflix series, why haven't there been announcements for Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist?

Plus I'd personally like to see Grandmaster, Vision and Howard the Duck (Quack Fu anyone?).

C'mon Capcom, pay attention to what the fans want. Why do you think UMvC3 has been so popular for such a long time? Because we had a nice choice of great characters to play.

^Bruh, the X-Men/F4 is out of Capcom's hands. They're not in because Marvel wouldn't let them be.

I can understand being upset at Capcom for their side of the roster, but that MCU based roster is all Marvel's doing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
But chances are those expectations were originally higher and were lowered once everything came to light.

I should have worded it better but I meant expectations being based on Ryce's list. Yeah, you got me there.

That possibility has been something I've considered as well. You have Ryce's leak and the zip leak where Ant-Man isn't listed. Both sources appear to be incomplete, so there could easily be more characters that aren't on either list.

My expectations are extremely low, but that would be a pleasant surprise.

I think everyone's expectations here are pretty low with the game.

I've always wanted him or Maximum Carnage to just fight like this:
https://youtu.be/b4Li0uOSR58?t=3453

King of like Spider-man mixed with Dhalsim.

I just want Venom to have better and interesting moveset since I know he could be done much better if he was a newcomer.

Neoxon

I completely agree with this. I do like the mechanics for Infinite though, the video with ComboFiend and Yipes allayed my fears about gameplay.

However, the current roster sucks, it's drab, uninspring and lackluster. I really resent Capcom pushing Iron Man and Captain America so much. I loathe both those characters, they're bland and boring. I don't understand why they don't listen the what the fans want, like the x-men and FF characters. It seems like a simple equation to me, listen to the fans, generate more sales. Everybody's happy.

How many times do we have to say it?

Magneto
Doctor Doom
Sentinel
Dormammu
Super Skrull
Wolverine
Storm
Phoenix
X-23
Cyclops

Also considering the popular Netflix series, why haven't there been announcements for Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist?

Plus I'd personally like to see Grandmaster, Vision and Howard the Duck (Quack Fu anyone?).

C'mon Capcom, pay attention to what the fans want. Why do you think UMvC3 has been so popular for such a long time? Because we had a nice choice of great characters to play.
You do realize that no X-Men/F4 on Day 1 was Marvel's call, right? Combofiend isn't gonna admit it since you can't really throw your crossover partner under the bus (Business 101, my friend). If Capcom could do anything about it, we'd at least have Wolverine, Doom, Magneto, & Deadpool in the base roster.

Also, we may get Dormammu on Day 1.

uppercut

Neo Member
You do realize that no X-Men/F4 on Day 1 was Marvel's call, right? Combofiend isn't gonna admit it since you can't really throw your crossover partner under the bus (Business 101, my friend). If Capcom could do anything about it, we'd at least have Wolverine, Doom, Magneto, & Deadpool in the base roster.

Also, we may get Dormammu on Day 1.

We've heard differing reports on the X-men/FF situation. If you want to please the fans make it happen. Plus pre-order sales would skyrocket if we knew more of the roster. Why keep us in the dark?

Neoxon

We've heard differing reports on the X-men/FF situation. If you want to please the fans use Sony's money and make it happen. Plus pre-order sales would skyrocket if we knew more of the roster. Why keep us in the dark?
There is no Sony money here, & the ban was lifted too late for MvCI to capitalize on it. According to Ryce & SneakersSO, we'll get the X-Men/F4 crew as DLC later (by 2018 according to the latter). There isn't much Capcom can do about it besides trying to cover for Marvel Entertainment's asses.

It isn't a money issue, though. Marvel simply didn't want characters with Fox movie rights being repped in their (Marvel) stuff.

Now things have began to smooth over, but this wasn't the case when this game was in development. They'll likely be in as DLC. None of us here really like it, but there's not much that can be done.

I should have worded it better but I meant expectations being based on Ryce's list. Yeah, you got me there.

I think everyone's expectations here are pretty low with the game.

I just want Venom to have better and interesting moveset since I know he could be done much better if he was a newcomer.

Honestly, after finding out about Jedah my expectations are super high. I've wanted him for a long time, and they need to do a competent job translating his playstyle to a Marvel game.

I have anxiety about Dormammu because I feel he would dominate the game in his MvC3 incarnation, and so needs to be toned down. But will he lose his fundamental playstyle? Hopefully not. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed Flame Carpet.

We've heard differing reports on the X-men/FF situation. If you want to please the fans make it happen. Plus pre-order sales would skyrocket if we knew more of the roster. Why keep us in the dark?
What differing reports?
I only remember them saying that Legacy will not be lost among other things and avoid the question about the X-Men/FF. They just not want to admit the ban...

We'll have to wait at lest until 2018 as far as we know.

Jawmuncher

I definitely can't say the current roster is better than UMVC3 for capcom. Way too big of a lack of franchise reps and unique picks.

sibarraz

Banned
The functions memes that have spawned on the internet are very funny.

I kinda like the themed DLC model as long as those are released withing a normal timespan and are not expensive as fuck, but honestly, I can't trust capcom anymore, specially with the radio silence on SFV dlc characters

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was only considering the .zip leak for that list, which might be more up to date/complete than what I was told. Ant-Man might be DLC.

I guess that would be valid excuse for that. I just hope that he would make in the game at the end. I found the concept behind Ant-Man would make an interesting character for a fighting game.

Honestly, after finding out about Jedah my expectations are super high. I've wanted him for a long time, and they need to do a competent job translating his playstyle to a Marvel game.

I have anxiety about Dormammu because I feel he would dominate the game in his MvC3 incarnation, and so needs to be toned down. But will he lose his fundamental playstyle? Hopefully not. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed Flame Carpet.

I wonder if he would able to keep his Stalk Fire since I can see a lot of crazy stuffs with Stalk Fire and Tag mechanics.

I really hope that you would be satisfied with the result they did with Jedah.

This thought randomly came to mind.

Neo or anyone else familiar with Hawkeye: has he ever used the Gimlet in the comics? Or is this most likely exclusive to the Vs series?

Top Bottom