• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masato Kato Talks End of Chrono Trilogy, Chrono Break

Psxphile

What about his human form that we see in some of the endings though. I would have loved to be able to unlock human Glenn in New Game+ or a spinoff something. He kinda looks like Magus, which is ironic.

IvY7D3O.png

... is that a ponytail? So it really is just his hair and a cape? I've always assumed he was wearing a hooded robe. The PS1 FMV ending's differing hairstyle totally threw me off.

DragonQuarter

Neo Member
Stahhhppp you're making me super sad about there being no third mainline Chrono game ;-;

EDIT: While I don't think Chrono Trigger needs to be remade (it's perfect as-is), I think it'd be great to port / touch-up the Nintendo DS version for modern-day consoles / handhelds. A man can dream.

Psxphile

If a man can dream he can most certainly hope for better than a touched up NDS port on modern systems. I wouldn't go so far as to expect DQXI visuals unless we're talking about the 3DS version. Maybe pare down the big-head syndrome, though... that's weird.

... is that a ponytail? So it really is just his hair and a cape? I've always assumed he was wearing a hooded robe. The PS1 FMV ending's differing hairstyle totally threw me off.

Yeah the PS1 FMVs have several inconsistencies and are pretty bad overall. It's obvious Akira Toriyama and Toei Animation didn't give a shit IMO.

Azala looks completely different than in her original artwork!

WDmYNI7m.jpg

JDTq6jyl.jpg

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What about his human form that we see in some of the endings though. I would have loved to be able to unlock human Glenn in New Game+ or a spinoff something. He kinda looks like Magus, which is ironic.

IvY7D3O.png

Dunno. Frog in my game was noble and spared Magus. Besides, he'd probably lose a bunch of his best techniques if he wasn't a frog.

Maou

Who else is more involved in the series than Kato? He wrote most of Trigger (even if directors directed and kept him in check), Radical Dreamers, then wrote/directed Cross. Then he directed the ports. There's no one else who is near as heavily involved. It's more his thing than any one other person's. That said, he should have someone like Horii keeping him in check.
If anything, the fact that Chrono Trigger is uplifting and fun, without the endless exposition and "imcomprehensibility disguised as depth," points to how important a creative team is. Kato is capable of some very creative scenarios, but his basic inclination (Xeno, Cross, Kirite, etc.) is towards the verbose and the depressing. He was a thoroughly bizarre pairing with the Dream Team on Chrono Trigger, whose very identity is defined not by Kato's writing but by the cheerful (but not shallow), Dragon Quest-flavored worldview.
Yes and no. Certainly, production time limits can lead to sloppy editing or incomplete arcs, but they do not cause the fundamental lack of writing discipline that leads to walls of endless text. Any good writer knows to show and not tell. And surely one of the most baffling and damning aspects of Chrono Cross is that he couldn't even manage to get the one character who matters to the Sara/Schala story into the game as planned.

With all this said, I adore the end credits of Chrono Cross, if nothing else, and find Kato more tolerable when he's either on a leash like in Chrono Trigger, or not wrecking the mood of a very different team's work via a poorly planned and jarring sequel. Xenogears sure needed an editor (not Takahashi's skillset), but it is indeed a flawed masterpiece.

IIRC, they later retconned it in the PSX Trigger, saying that all the royal family in Zeal dyes their hair the blue color and Schala is naturally blonde.

Doesn't that mean, cause Janus was of the Zeal family, that he also has naturally blonde hair, so Magus should be a blondie because why would he feel the need to constantly die his hair at his age and new place in time? Is he self-conscious that Ozzie, Slash and Flea are going to make fun of him?

I thought the "dyes their hair" thing was stupid. They could've just said that they hailed from a line of blonde people (obviously, Ayla's an EXTREMELY distant relative of Marle and Marle is descended from the Zeal royal family), but being born post the fall of Lavos and his magical effect on the world and its people. Being so close to Lavos's power (as Zeal is strongly dependent on it and magic is EVERYTHING), they've "magically mutated" due to their presence within Lavos's energy and have developed blue hair as a result (as well as being extremely potent with magical abilities), but after the fall of Zeal, loosing their STRONG contact to Lavos, their further generational lines lack the "magical mutation" and revert to their normal genetic look, blonde hair and all.

And surely one of the most baffling and damning aspects of Chrono Cross is that he couldn't even manage to get the one character who matters to the Sara/Schala story into the game as planned.

Seriously do we even want to see the exact moment when Schala meets Magus again and finds out who he is? That moment would be extremely awkward. Even Radical Dreamers skipped it (by giving Schala her memories back through the Chrono Trigger and having Schala and Magus leave Serge before they can have any long discussion). When Kato removed Magus from Chrono Cross he probably already had his vague idea of a final game in which we would definitely have seen Schala and Magus, probably already having found each other after some time skip.

Doesn't that mean, cause Janus was of the Zeal family, that he also has naturally blonde hair, so Magus should be a blondie because why would he feel the need to constantly die his hair at his age and new place in time? Is he self-conscious that Ozzie, Slash and Flea are going to make fun of him?

I thought the "dyes their hair" thing was stupid. They could've just said that they hailed from a line of blonde people (obviously, Ayla's an EXTREMELY distant relative of Marle and Marle is descended from the Zeal royal family), but being born post the fall of Lavos and his magical effect on the world and its people. Being so close to Lavos's power (as Zeal is strongly dependent on it and magic is EVERYTHING), they've "magically mutated" due to their presence within Lavos's energy and have developed blue hair as a result (as well as being extremely potent with magical abilities), but after the fall of Zeal, loosing their STRONG contact to Lavos, their further generational lines lack the "magical mutation" and revert to their normal genetic look, blonde hair and all.

Yup, that's why the hair dye thing is just baseless theory.

By the way, I don't think Marle is descended from the Zeal royal family. She's more likely descended from the Earthbound since neither Schala nor Janus had children. The Larubans in Prehistory all had purple hair, unlike the Iokans that Ayla and Kino were part of. However the Larubans are the ones who control the Dactyls, even though that's the symbol of Guardia in the Middle Ages and Present era, so there were most likely some crossbreeding between the two classes after the fall of Zeal.

fxjXHlr.png
JDzNoG1.png

Taruranto

If anything, the fact that Chrono Trigger is uplifting and fun, without the endless exposition and "imcomprehensibility disguised as depth," points to how important a creative team is. Kato is capable of some very creative scenarios, but his basic inclination (Xeno, Cross, Kirite, etc.) is towards the verbose and the depressing. He was a thoroughly bizarre pairing with the Dream Team on Chrono Trigger, whose very identity is defined not by Kato's writing but by the cheerful (but not shallow), Dragon Quest-flavored worldview. Yes and no. Certainly, production time limits can lead to sloppy editing or incomplete arcs, but they do not cause the fundamental lack of writing discipline that leads to walls of endless text. Any good writer knows to show and not tell. And surely one of the most baffling and damning aspects of Chrono Cross is that he couldn't even manage to get the one character who matters to the Sara/Schala story into the game as planned.

With all this said, I adore the end credits of Chrono Cross, if nothing else, and find Kato more tolerable when he's either on a leash like in Chrono Trigger, or not wrecking the mood of a very different team's work via a poorly planned and jarring sequel. Xenogears sure needed an editor (not Takahashi's skillset), but it is indeed a flawed masterpiece.

Kato only wrote Lahan, Shevat, Chu-chu and Maria's stuff in Gears.

It is fucking dumb. I'm just saying that was their BS reason behind it as I recall.

SOLDIER

Kato only wrote Lahan, Shevat, Chu-chu and Maria's stuff in Gears.

Didn't he also write the romance between Fei and Elly?

I always found that fascinating considering that both romances in Xenogears and FFVII, which he had a part in, culimated in

heavily implied sex

in both games.

Taruranto

Didn't he also write the romance between Fei and Elly?

No, why would he? Xenogears is mostly Takahashi and Soraya's brainchild, they are the one that proposed the project as the original FFVII, but instead got told to make another game out of it (Because it was "too sci-fi/dark").

Q25. Who did actually write the script of Xenogears? (03/03/05)
A25. Gears? Mainly Tetsuya Takahashi did. I wrote the part of (the script about) Bart and his family, Billy and his family and the former Elements*. (I like the Jesse's gun.) Mr. Kato wrote the part of Maria, Chu-Chu and Lahan village and Shevat. (Lahan village sequences are many Xeno fan's favorite, also Maria's sortie scene was very impressive.) Mr. Tanegashima wrote the part of Esmeralda, the yggdrasil's crews and Elements girls. (I love Esmerald's cuteness.)

A long long ago, back in 1994, I wrote a story about a young soldier of fortune with multiple personalities. Takahashi proposed the plan to our boss. Though the plan was rejected because it was too sci-fi for RPG, the boss kindly gave us an advice "Why don't you make it into a new game?". Then I came up with an idea about a deserted A.I. with feminine personality who becomes an origin of new mankind in the unexplored planet. Takahashi refined the idea into more deeper and mystic love story. After the main story and integral sideplots were done, Tanegashima applied a sense of humor and his knowledge about science and military hardwares. Kato added a poetic and mysterious touch to Maria's story. An alchemical reaction of various creativity made the game enjoyable like a plate of all-you-can-eat. (I decided to answer this question because endless rumors about it have been around for a long time. I made this answer the last time to mention these games. 03/05/05)

*Takahashi wrote Citan. Saga wrote Hyuuga.
** I have NO intention of claimimg credit for Xenogears, Xenogears PW, Xenosaga. Takahashi deserves credit for those works. Especially the history of Xeno-universe is attributed to him.

Psxphile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9u7Bd6uD-Q

By the way, I don't think Marle is descended from the Zeal royal family. She's more likely descended from the Earthbound since neither Schala nor Janus had children. The Larubans in Prehistory all had purple hair, unlike the Iokans that Ayla and Kino were part of. However the Larubans are the ones who control the Dactyls, even though that's the symbol of Guardia in the Middle Ages and Present era, so there were most likely some crossbreeding between the two classes after the fall of Zeal.

fxjXHlr.png
JDzNoG1.png

Spekkio brings up that Crono and co. have the potential for magic and it only needed to be awakened, and after Zeal went down I always assumed that meant that the survivors mixed in with the Earthbound and produced the modern day humans of that era.

As for Marle, the idea that she might be descended from the Zeal royal family starts and ends with that pendant around her neck. That's really the only thing linking the two families, but the game never bothers to elaborate how the royal family got their hands on it nor does it put forth anything to speculate it was inherited from Zeal, especially since the heirs produced none of their own.

Fun fact the guy who plays the flute in that band actually joined Mitsuda's "Millennial Fair" troupe for some of their live performances:

https://youtu.be/dK4zI0Ys0Eo?t=2m35s

Spekkio brings up that Crono and co. have the potential for magic and it only needed to be awakened, and after Zeal went down I always assumed that meant that the survivors mixed in with the Earthbound and produced the modern day humans of that era.

As for Marle, the idea that she might be descended from the Zeal royal family starts and ends with that pendant around her neck. That's really the only thing linking the two families, but the game never bothers to elaborate how the royal family got their hands on it nor does it put forth anything to speculate it was inherited from Zeal, especially since the heirs produced none of their own.

There are two main theories about this. When the Earthbound Elder finds the two surviving party members after the fall of Zeal and Crono's death, he says that he found Marle's pendant near them "almost as if it were guarding [them]". It's possible that in the original timeline (the one without Crono's party which means that Schala didn't have to teleport them out of the Ocean Palace), the Elder found Schala's original pendant instead.

The other theory hinges on Radical Dreamers stating (and Chrono Cross heavily implying) that the first monarch of Guardia in 1 A.D. used the power of the Frozen Flame to establish their kingdom. Since the Frozen Flame was inside the Mammon Machine and the pendant was originally a tool for controlling the Flame/the Machine, it's possible the monarch somehow found the pendant before, after or at the same time as they found the Flame.

SOLDIER

No, why would he? Xenogears is mostly Takahashi and Soraya's brainchild, they are the one that proposed the project as the original FFVII, but instead got told to make another game out of it (Because it was "too sci-fi/dark").

Well darn. I often attributed Kato for handling two of my all-time favorite romances in an RPG.

Oh well. I'm still hoping Kato gets to contribute to the FFVII Remake, because part of me does worry if they retcon certain personalities worse than how they were originally (like making Tifa more of a timid waifu, which I'm sure had a strong chance of happening at one point during development).

Well darn. I often attributed Kato for handling two of my all-time favorite romances in an RPG.

Oh well. I'm still hoping Kato gets to contribute to the FFVII Remake, because part of me does worry if they retcon certain personalities worse than how they were originally (like making Tifa more of a timid waifu, which I'm sure had a strong chance of happening at one point during development).

Don't worry, Kazushige "Tidus can't fight anymore because he's too horny when he sees Yuna" Nojima and Motomu "It would be funny if you could steal Marlene's panties" are in.

;_;

SOLDIER

Don't worry, Kazushige "Tidus can't fight anymore because he's too horny when he sees Yuna" Nojima and Motomu "It would be funny if you could steal Marlene's panties" are in.

;_;

Don't scare me like that. There's been no mention at all of Toritama's involvement.

I feel pretty confident things will turn out alright on account of all the Cindy backlash.

Don't scare me like that. There's been no mention at all of Toritama's involvement.

I feel pretty confident things will turn out alright on account of all the Cindy backlash.

I dunno, it's not official yet but Shinji Hashimoto seemed to imply in a recent interview that one of the reasons FFX-3 isn't being made is because Square is busy with Remake:

― Last year, you said that starting development on a Final Fantasy X-3 would be complicated. What about now?

Shinji Hashimoto: Mr Kitase and Nomura know full well that fans are waiting for this "FFX-3" at any moment, but they also know that there are great expectations for FFVII Remake and the development of the latter has already started. The developers are working hard and focusing first and foremost on the production of the remake.

I actually wouldn't mind Toriyama working on Remake as long as he is supervised by other people, as in the original game.

Maou

Seriously do we even want to see the exact moment when Schala meets Magus again and finds out who he is? That moment would be extremely awkward.
Maybe! But this reunion/tying up of Chrono Trigger's loose end is literally the only reason for the sequel to exist. If not, why build a strange sequel around looking for a lightly sketched, seemingly inconsequential character without the one person who could conceivably know or care about her? Half of us assumed Sara just died in 12,000 BC when playing the original at the time.
Actually, stuff like this is one of the many reasons that Kato was such a peculiar match for the original, and why the sequel rubbed many people (hello!) the wrong way. I don't like it, but I get while some people do! Some RPG fans will get a kick out of jargon, backstory/lore, and so on, but given that the original is a fairly breezy, character-driven jaunt that doesn't care too much about made-up technical words, the Dire Conseuqences of Time Travel, and other overwrought stuff better fit to a Xenogears-like story, it strikes me out of place, even if Kato can be interesting on his own merits. But there's just no doubt that he's working entirely within a Horii/Sakaguchi framework in Chrono Trigger which precludes all of this stuff, for the better I thinkn.

...a bunch of nixed futures falling into the Dead Sea is pretty neat. And those end credits.
I still hate Chrono Cross though

Top Bottom