• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Tovarisc

Super curious what this week's video will be. Hopefully it'll be the one discussion squad mechanics, especially with the reveal that there won't be direct control of squadmates any longer, it'll be interesting to see what they've got in mind as a replacement.

What I have gathered from hints in dev twitter feeds this week, at least partly, is about class profiles and how swapping skill sets on the fly works.

What I have gathered from hints in dev twitter feeds this week, at least partly, is about class profiles and how swapping skill sets on the fly works.

Hmmmmm.....

Well that might be a bit less bombastic than last week's was, but still good info.

It's all good though, I literally need some videos to hold me over until Tuesday when Horizon shows up, and then life will be good right up until ME:A shows up. March is on pace to be one of the best months in games for the year and even a couple years ago, that never happened.

Good times.

emag

She looks ~25 years younger than Claire Underwood

As you wish.

Westley-Buttercup-The-Princess-Bride-movie-couples-19608599-500-281.jpg

hydruxo

Really, really dislike this design. Looks like the station wagon driving soccer mom picking up her bratty kids at school while trying to stay hip, fashionable and relevant.

Hope her personality makes up for it! Disliked Garrus' design at first too, but he's one of my favourites now.

Not seeing that whatsoever. I like the design. A lot more distinct than the Ryders, that's for sure.

Tovarisc

Weird. Gf and I are rewatching Cards right now, and I did not realize she was ever in anything before that. I've never seen that movie either (came out the year after i was born).

When looking at her IMDB history HoC is her breakthrough moment. Before that only "big deal" she has been in was Forrest Gump. Slightly surprised she has flown below radar for most part, she is good actress imo.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000705/

hold on a second, they actively blocked it? I hadn't heard about that o_O

whywhywhy.gif

Blocked isn't the right word. They just didn't include it in the original release, even though the majority of the files for button prompts, etc. were there in the game. It seems like they just thought it wasn't worth the effort, however simple it may be.

That said, the mods are pretty easy to install and it looks like BioWare is doing controller support for all their games going forward, so you can rest easy on that.
though honestly, I found the games controlled better on M+KB and Andromeda seems to follow suit

Slaythe

I caved in and bought the PC version.

I won't be watching the other videos.

Going in blind.

If this sucks I'm forever done with biobio.

Cartho

I'm excited for MP. Will be looking for GAF bros to indulge in some hot, wet (with blood ofc) steamy co-op action on PS4 come March 21st.

Really, really dislike this design. Looks like the station wagon driving soccer mom picking up her bratty kids at school while trying to stay hip, fashionable and relevant.

Hope her personality makes up for it! Disliked Garrus' design at first too, but he's one of my favourites now.

Sounds like you're projecting.

Tovarisc

This was explicitly said at the end of the combat video this thread is about.

I remember it saying "in future videos", not "in next video". Could be I remember wrong, but yeah. Skill presets, class profiles and squad interactions on missions are on slab for #2.

Slaythe

All we know is that you can't modify their default ryders ? Not even the hair ? Yikes.

Getting Mass Effect flashbacks where the only good looking male had to be the default and I'm a bit scared, cause the default Ryder looks like a giant dork.

Getting Mass Effect flashbacks where the only good looking male had to be the default and I'm a bit scared, cause the default Ryder looks like a giant dork.

Yeah I'm worried about this too. Shepard looks so cool and both Ryder's look real lame.

Hoping it's just because I spent so long with Shepard. We'll see.

Moaradin

If it's anything like Inquisition, then you should be able to make some pretty good looking characters. Not like ME1-3 where default male shepard clearly had a much better model than anything you could customize.

Based on the gameplay in this video, I don't have a problem with not directly choosing squadmates' actions, reason being: the game much more resembles an action game than in the past. It's fast paced, and that would slow it down. Equipping the squad with skills/weapons would be good enough for me as long as the AI is decent.

Squire

Banned
If it's anything like Inquisition, then you should be able to make some pretty good looking characters. Not like ME1-3 where default male shepard clearly had a much better model than anything you could customize.

Sounds like it's a significant improvement on Inquisition.

Slaythe

Da:I was not that good in that department (male humans).

The character you made looked nothing like it "in game" and you had to restart the game 50 times to get what you wanted.

And even then, they all had weird eyes and mouth. Not to mention the hair... There was just one face preset that allowed for a decent looking guy.

:/

Hopefully they improved things quite a bit with this one.

Tovarisc

Da:I was not that good in that department (male humans).

The character you made looked nothing like it "in game" and you had to restart the game 50 times to get what you wanted.

And even then, they all had weird eyes and mouth. Not to mention the hair... There was just one face preset that allowed for a decent looking guy.

:/

Hopefully they improved things quite a bit with this one.

Bolded part seems to be problem in every possible game that has CC. I don't get it why they insist on using lightning in CC that is nowhere near what actual gameplay environments use.

I already expect to use most of 10h Origin Access in CC, recreating FemRyder over and over again because end result is somehow off in-game.

other than forgetting to turn off lip shine I never had issues with DA:I CC. I mean the beginning of the game did have some unfavorable lighting and that one short cutscene at the beginning with the dumb face after your hand shocks up makes every character look bad. But after that they look fine the rest of the game.

prag16

Banned
I caved in and bought the PC version.

I won't be watching the other videos.

Going in blind.

If this sucks I'm forever done with biobio.

I should cut myself off soon, but I probably can't. Never can in these situations. If you can, best of luck to you! May this game exceed even the loftiest of expectations!

Cwwj_RuWgAAnvxq.jpg

Tovarisc

Q: How does MEA Insanity compare to ME2 Insanity?

Ian: Hard to compare them apples to apples. ME2 added layers of defense (shield, barriers, armor, etc.) to everybody, which made it brutally difficult to take enemies down. While I enjoyed the challenge of ME2 Insanity, I didn't like that Adepts got the shaft due to all those layers of defense.

With MEA, we decided to keep defenses static (i.e. If an enemy doesn't have shields on Normal, then he doesn't have them on Insanity either), but we increase enemy durability enough to require a well-made character (and ideally well-crafted weapons) to take them down quickly, we increase enemy damage enough to melt you very quickly when you're out of cover, we increase enemy reaction times and make them smarter about flanking and taking advantage of when you do something unwise (trying to use a hover attack when surrounded by entrenched foes, for instance), using more flushing attacks to force you out of cover, and so forth. We also scale the player's health and shield gates, so you've got very little slack if you screw up.

In general I find that if I want to get through insanity without a silly amount of deaths, it's best to:
- Optimize my build. Your skills, armor, weapons, and profile should all have strong synergies.
- Build in some flexibility. Whether with Favorites, Consumables, backup weapons, or some mix of the above, be prepared to deal with different sorts of threats than my "main" build is optimized for.
- Use my squad smartly. Choose their skill evolves in a way that complements yours and each other's. In battle, order them into strong positions which guard my flanks, and order them to directly attack a target when a good opportunity presents itself.
- Git gud

Source: http://bsn.boards.net/post/305838

jtb

Banned
Bolded part seems to be problem in every possible game that has CC. I don't get it why they insist on using lightning in CC that is nowhere near what actual gameplay environments use.

I already expect to use most of 10h Origin Access in CC, recreating FemRyder over and over again because end result is somehow off in-game.

Because 100% of players will go through the character creation screen and 10% of them will reach the ending. All about making a good first impression, rest of the game be damned.

Slaythe

They have a 7 days free trial on origins for EA access...

Does that mean I could technically try out Mass Effect too on the 16th ?

:O

I WILL spend all my time in CC.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They have a 7 days free trial on origins for EA access...

Does that mean I could technically try out Mass Effect too on the 16th ?

:O

I WILL spend all my time in CC.

Look likes you have to activate the trial by March 7th which means it would end two days before the MEA trial on the 16th.

Q: How does MEA Insanity compare to ME2 Insanity?

Ian: Hard to compare them apples to apples. ME2 added layers of defense (shield, barriers, armor, etc.) to everybody, which made it brutally difficult to take enemies down. While I enjoyed the challenge of ME2 Insanity, I didn't like that Adepts got the shaft due to all those layers of defense.

ME2 was legit hard because of having to deal with those varied layers of defense. I found ME3 Insanity to be significantly easier, so I wonder how that bodes for Andromeda.

Sendero

Look likes you have to activate the trial by March 7th which means it would end two days before the MEA trial on the 16th.
Has this been confirmed?

Her face looks better here. Same happened with Sara Ryder in the latest screen. Wonder if both were recently retouched, or if it's just a case of different angle/illumination and the fact neither have their jaw/mouth in motion. Hope it's the former.

The texture of her shirt looks ON POINT. Pretty amazing.

BTW, do we know if there is a way to fully turn the HUD off/on, and that such option can be assigned to a key (instead of having to enter the menu)? Not sure why that's not standard.

Top Bottom