• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was being facetious with Inquisition.

Who at DICE do I have to pay to get a more complex reflection shader?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's where we diverge, heh. I think Obsidian and CD Projeckt have been beating BioWare at their own game for around a decade. Though I get Obsidian is definitely an acquired taste.

(Honestly, every person who loves Mass Effect 1 needs to give Alpha Protocol a shot.)

I love Obsidian. PoE was one of my favorite games in recent years, super pumped at the PoE2 reveal today, but neither company provides the same kind of experience as BioWare. They share a lot in common, but it's still worlds apart and none are a replacement for the others in my view.

Shredderi

A lot of people saying that they're still not feeling it. I'm not either. I do not remember these kinds of sentiments being this prelavent with the previous ME games. Something about this just seems so by the numbers. I really want it to be great but it just fails to inspire.

Lime

Now I realize why Male Ryder comes across as a douche:

beztytuucfofp.png
9db82cc2bd30afa5685b21b3cc66921c.jpg

Bud where are you getting this from? You can fully customize your Ryder and even customize sister/brother/father to some extent.
I was asking a question, not a statement.
In the previous games the default faces tended to look way better and more realistic than custom ones.

If that's still the case then uh
I don't buy it. Shepard looked stupid last gen and my created character looked superior.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Humans look terrible. I think I hate them. I'm going to need an all alien squad to succeed with this mission.

This is the kinda human I want on my team
6j01Zte.png

Not whatever the shit those people are.

sono

I enjoyed those trailers, made me want to play the first three again. Playing those 3 back to back for the first time (PS3) was unforgettable for me.

Vamphuntr

Oh no an ancient evil alien race again. Let's recruit multiples alien races from the Andromeda galaxy and collect resources to stop them.

Characters look kind of bad to me. Yikes.

Garlador

Humans look terrible. I think I hate them. I'm going to need an all alien squad to succeed with this mission.

This is the kinda human I want on my team
6j01Zte.png

Not whatever the shit those people are.
First game was Kaiden and Ashley. Let's not forget that...
Oh no an ancient evil alien race again. Let's recruit multiples alien races from the Andromeda galaxy and collect resources to stop them.
Not quite....

Gestault

This looks really rough. Even visually, it's firmly in the ballpark of the previous-gen games on PC. It looks like the worst of empty Hollywood "thrills" instead of the intrigue of a classic sci-fi novel, without even managing to hit the highs of the former. The (seemingly?) obvious cuts to avoid showing the weak facial animations are just weird. I don't understand what's happened. I hope somehow the game looks and feels nothing like this.

oti

Banned
I don't know what the problem here is but this trailer does absolutely nothing for me. And I LOOOOOVE Mass Effect.

I really can't understand why I'm not hyped at all for this game. Maybe it's because Horizon and Zelda are coming out around that time. Both of those games look amazing to me.

Coxy100

Banned
Geez, default male Ryder looks like the most generic, focus-tested character design I've ever seen.
Yep. I presume we can custom the characters but I always go with the default look - it's what the devs imagined. I loved Shepard for example - default looked great - but this male version looks awful.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man I feel bad for Kaiden.

I don't even dislike the dude, I would just prefer Ashley. The Hot Space Racist...

Maybe I'm wrong somewhere.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Did absolutely nothing for me. It all looks very technically competent but everything from the art direction to cliche-ridden dialogue reminded me of a low-grade SF TV show. I almost expected Kevin Sorbo to show up at the end.

Lime

Geez, default male Ryder looks like the most generic, focus-tested character design I've ever seen.

Yeah it made me sad to see that Bioware, who otherwise *try* to be progressive, have the most generic and eye-rolling main characters in their marketing department. White brunettes x 2 without any unique features is probably the safest and most generic form of character branding. Super disappointing.

At least Liam's hair gives me hope that there might potentially be one good piece of black hair for character customization.

Dalibor68

Banned
Yeah it made me sad to see that Bioware, who otherwise *try* to be progressive, have the most generic and eye-rolling main characters in their marketing department. White brunettes x 2 without any unique features is probably the safest and most generic form of character branding. Super disappointing.

At least Liam's hair gives me hope that there might potentially be one good piece of black hair for character customization.
I wouldn't call the female Ryder generic, shes unique in her deformity.

Why would it be a result of focustesting though? Wouldnt the average stereotypical gamer prefer a bulkier, classic bald spare marine/unique super hero type then? Scott seems rather "soft" in his features.

It absolutely looks worse than even ME 1 faces. I don't know how they managed.

yeah.. and i still can't get over how L.A. Noire was so ahead of its time and facial animations since have looked like absolute dogshit in comparison, no hyperbole. there's been zero progress.

this game came out in 2011, more than half a decade ago... and yea yea i realize the tech they used was expensive and not easily used in games that use characters that look different than the voice actors but still.. we should at least be getting close to this by now, but nope.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
yeah.. and i still can't get over how L.A. Noire was so ahead of its time and facial animations since have looked like absolute dogshit in comparison, no hyperbole. there's been zero progress.

this game came out in 2011, more than half a decade ago... and yea yea i realize the tech they used was expensive and not easily used in games that use characters that look different than the voice actors but still.. we should at least be getting close to this by now, but nope.

They literally digitized the actors entire performance, it was insanely costly and time consuming. It's a terrible example as I'm pretty sure no other game has used that technique. It also didn't allow for customized faces.

BioWare games have a tremendous amount of dialogue, many many time over other series with great facial animations like Uncharted, Mafia and even stuff like The Witcher.

Blastoise

Banned
I still don't get the timeline?

How have towns and settlements been built in Andromeda if you are the first people to get there?

Are these new Aliens?

Ricker

Not crazy about the character artstyle,I mean its not bad but it looks slightly out of place to me...got to stop comparing to the last 3 games I guess,maybe I will get use to them.

SliChillax

Have you played the game on PC? Those faces look like gifs stuck on 3D models and they're incredibly flat and low res. It might have looked good on consoles because of the low resolution the game was running at but on PC at 1080p or anything above it looked awful.

How have towns and settlements been built in Andromeda if you are the first people to get there?

Are these new Aliens?

The Nexus and its roughly 60,000 crew was sent ahead of the Arks. It's not unreasonable to assume that things were in motion before the Arks arrived with the bulk of each species.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Are these new Aliens?

We are not the first people. The Nexus arrived before us and it seems like the Human Ark experienced issues so the inhabitants woke up a little later than some others.

The settlement in this video was a new Andromedan alien one though.

Sendero

Hope the human squadmates have an interesting plotlines and personalities, because their visual designs are quite boring.

But I guess that's a tradition, with the exception of Kasumi and Zaeed.

Does anyone have a clearer picture of the squad member's descriptions? It's hard to read on the video.

L.A. Noire didn't animate their faces. That was basically capture date pasted over the model. It's infeasible and very limiting.

Also, are we really saying this has worse facial tech than Mass Effect 1? What the fuck are we doing here, people?

Are these new Aliens?

There are new aliens, yes. You're also not the first people to get there, that honor goes to the crew of the Nexus, who get there a while before the Arks are supposed to arrive.

ed. beaten, lol.

They literally digitized the actors entire performance, it was insanely costly and time consuming. It's a terrible example as I'm pretty sure no other game has used that technique. It also didn't allow for customized faces.

BioWare games have a tremendous amount of dialogue, many many time over other series with great facial animations like Uncharted, Mafia and even stuff like The Witcher.

Nah man, Witcher 3 had way more dialogue than DA:I. Like, by a lot.

Burbeting

Banned
That trailer seemed ok, I guess. At least it's consistent that the humans are the most annoying part of the series. All of the dialogue from them felt like lazy one-liners, all of the designs were uninteresting... and the plot seems to be "fuck yeah humans" again, that was the worst part of the original games for me.

Just give me an alien squad and let me go on an interesting story that is not about saving the humans.

Top Bottom