• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Cinematic trailer

I want to see the breadth of customization options.

Bioware really needs to show it off ASAP. There is so much complaining going on about the PC's looks that it's distracting from things that are good about the trailers. Customization trailer or demonstration desperately needed at this point for many of the fans. There seem to even be many who don't know if Bioware will include the option to customize Ryder's looks.

I'm fully confident it'll be at least as good as the one in Inquisition which was fantastic IMO.

Renekton

They touch on those like a fly touches on poop. Lightly and with a record of eating shit. Touching on a deep topic doesn't make you deep if your coverage of it is shallow.

I can't name specific episodes cause I ain't a nerd, but Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, and Babylon 5 tackled these same issues more than once.
Fantastic. Not doing better than namedropping because lolnerd and dismissing everything as feces.

edit: sorry I got a bit rude here.

PSqueak

Banned
Pink?
dbFr2dW.png

Oh my bad, i missed this one, i thought the other alien was supposed to be it, was assuming the pink one was a turian and they just had given her a more unique design.

Fantastic. Not doing better than namedropping because lolnerd and dismissing everything as feces.

Who the fuck honestly has episodes memorized? It was a shitty unreasonable demand and you know it. Of course I'm not playing ball.

You already made up your mind about the game. I know better than to waste serious time trying to convince you.

Veelk

Banned
They touch on those like a fly touches on poop. Lightly and with a record of eating shit. Touching on a deep topic doesn't make you deep if your coverage of it is shallow.

I can't name specific episodes cause I ain't a nerd, but Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, and Babylon 5 tackled these same issues more than once.

Can you explain what aspects of those issues those series covered that ME did not? Depth isn't just "I liked this better". I don't doubt that other series did handle those issues better than ME, but name dropped it without an explanation for why it's so much deeper without going in depth as to what they specifically did differently isn't dissimilar to the analogy you just used.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yes the alien designer was forced to show concept art after he infamously said some stupid shit about why they werent in the first trilogy, something along the lines of "what are we gonna do? give them boobs and lipstick?".

Which makes the fact that she is FUCKING PINK all more hilarious.

Que? Omega DLC for ME3 had a female Turian companion; Nyreen.

Can you explain what aspects of those issues those series covered that ME did not?

No I can't. Take that as a victory if you want. I'm angry and tired and I'm sick of people bashing on this game so I fully concede I am not capable of being rational about this anymore. Just ignore me.

diaspora

having played the OT games in 4k downsampled from 8k with mods and everything, the stupidity of people to say that it looks better than Andromeda is fucking breathtaking

Obviously the new one has more polygons and better lighting but the overall look of the original looks better to me half the time. Certainly not what tens yeas of advancements should look like.

KjBTou8.jpg

Charitable low res screenshot for ME1. The faces in ME look good for an early 360 era game, but break down under a lot of lighting conditions, a problem that is magnified x1000 if you use the character creator instead of rolling with iconic Shepard. The world in ME looked kind of horrible except for the occasional skybox here or there - Andromeda is extremely far ahead on that front.

Veelk

Banned
No I can't. Take that as a victory if you want.

Oh..okay, I'm not exactly invested in this argument as I have a rough history with ME myself, but it's odd that you seem to emphatically support other shows that outnerded ME while seemingly viciously against being labeled as a nerd while refusing to discuss what made the other shows outnerd ME.

Oh..okay, I'm not exactly invested in this argument as I have a rough history with ME myself, but it's odd that you seem to emphatically support other shows that outnerded ME while seemingly viciously against being labeled as a nerd while refusing to discuss what made the other shows outnerd ME.

I've never even seen those shows. I was completely pulling that out of my ass to be honest and I'm sorry for that it was an immature move. I'm just tired of people bashing on this game I'm excited for.

Kater

Banned
Speaking of which, I hope that the combat dialogue for this game will be as good as in ME1
"Enemies everywhere!"
"Go go go!"

I can live without hearing that again, truth be told. Or the screaming if you set someone on fire or shot them in the ME2. So obnoxious.

I hope we get some creepy new enemies to fight though, something like the Thorian creepers.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
He confused Turians and new alien race.

No I was responding to the statement about a ME designer making a statement about Female Turians not existing in ME Trilogy and having to release concept art, which doesn't make sense because Nyreen existed in the ME trilogy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The true ending to the Shepard trilogy is Mass Effect threads on NeoGAF.

"Enemies everywhere!"
"Go go go!"

I can live without hearing that again, truth be told. Or the screaming if you set someone on fire or shot them in the ME2. So obnoxious.

I hope we get some creepy new enemies to fight though, something like the Thorian creepers.

I WILL BE YOUR DOOM

Veelk

Banned
I've never even seen those shows. I was completely pulling that out of my ass to be honest and I'm sorry for that it was an immature move. I'm just tired of people bashing on this game I'm excited for.

Ah, okay.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, but I'm gonna wait to hear from trusted sources that the story is worth it. I liked ME1, 2 and 3's stories all a lot, but I was really burned by the ME3 ending. It's why I'm hesitant, but I really love the ME universe and think there is a lot of merit to the stories they told. So I hope Andromeda is good.

They do touch on interesting topics in sci-fi space: ultra-humanism (Cerberus), genetic warfare and its sociological fallout (Genophage), mass brainwash versus genocide (A House Divided), sentient AI successfully forcing exile of creator race (Geth and Quarian Flotillas).

I will concede if you name me the sci-fi TV series episode that explores those subjects.

DS9 alone explored most of those, especially in the Dominion War arc.

Enterprise also touched on the humanism thing.

Renekton

Who the fuck honestly has episodes memorized? It was a shitty unreasonable demand and you know it. Of course I'm not playing ball.

You already made up your mind about the game. I know better than to waste serious time trying to convince you.
Well you were going all "jesus lord christ burn it down" on us, like we've seen the tropes a billion times.

Even something vague is fine, like "I remember the Star Trek had Picard live a full virtual life in a doomed civilization".

DS9 alone explored most of those, especially in the Dominion War arc.

Enterprise also touched on the humanism thing.
Which one had the genophage? I do want to check it out.

I would definitely agree that the people who're painting ME1 (or any of the other games) as "cerebral" are blowing smoke. Especially considering how many of the various conflicts are undermined by lol indoctrination. About the only interesting ones are (and this is just off the top of my head) Mordin's dealing with his role in the Genophage modification and the Geth/Quarian issue.

Honestly, though, people (or at least sci-fi fans) tend to hugely overstate the intellectual chops of your average work. Like, take Star Trek, a series notable these days for its fanbase that will not stop insisting that the pre-JJ shows were bastions of intellectualism. No, they weren't. 95% of the stuff they talked about they did with the emotional and academic subtlety of a 100-ton hydraulic press. "These guys are half black on the left, and these ones are half black on the right, and they hate each other! Isn't that irrational." There are important messages there, but they weren't particularly intellectually rigorous, by and large. Ditto ME. Interesting themes are referenced, touched on, occasionally wielded, but not explored in any great depth, or with any great skill, and that's fine. It's not the objective.

Giolon

I hope they've got a alternate hairstyles for your party members available because I hate that female character's hair, and MaleRyder's hair looks like a plastic helmet. The black guy's hair is dope though.

This was a pretty disappointing trailer. Count me among those who are waiting for something to sink their teeth into or something that could make them actually hyped and this just didn't deliver.

Aside from the new alien character, the line up of crew members looks bland visually in comparison to what we got before. In my opinion, they lack the "flair" that each of the other crew members had in ME2 and, to an extent, ME3. Nevermind the fact that, aside from one potential squad member, they are all from races whom we've had 3 games to get associated with. I don't give a shit about the Krogan anymore. I've had my fill of them. Humans continue to be the most boring species. Asari are Asari. And the Turian...well, I'll give them the Turian. We really didn't learn much about them last time, so I'll let that slide. I was hoping for at least two squadmates from different species and other non squadmates who join the crew as members.

Story wise, it doesn't seem like anything interesting at all. I can't talk about the writing as it seems like it's standard Mass Effect for now. The antagonist didn't get much of an intro, so I'm cold on him and his peeps as of right now. Plus, as others have mentioned, they look a bit too humanoid. I wanted something a bit more "alien" for lack of a better word. Incomprehensible.

So yeah, the only thing that is keeping me vaguely interested in this title is my memories of the old game, but that's not enough for a day one purchase.

Well spoilers
The Federation, or Section 31, introduced a virus into the Founders' Link causing them all to degenerate horribly. There was a bit of soul searching once Odo and the DS9 crew found out.

There was also that story around a phage in Voyager, where the affected aliens stole body parts to keep them going. I don't remember it that well since I wasn't a big fan of Voyager.

Well you were going all "jesus lord christ burn it down" on us, like we've seen the tropes a billion times.

Even something vague is fine, like "I remember the Star Trek had Picard live a full virtual life in a doomed civilization".

Yeah sorry man I was talking out of my ass because I got angry at you. I don't even watch TV I've never seen any of these shows. I was just getting oversensitive.

To more calmly articulate my point it is not that I think these scenarios are over done I just to do not think they were anything but flavor text in Mass Effect 1. They got flushed out in two and three but that is three games not one game like Andromeda. I always found Mass Effect really cheesy and overwrought just like this trailer and I guess I do not see the difference between the trailer for Mass Effect 1 and the trailer for this game in tone. Like have you seen the trailer for Mass Effect 1 recently? It's really really goofy.

jtb

Banned
I would definitely agree that the people who're painting ME1 (or any of the other games) as "cerebral" are blowing smoke. Especially considering how many of the various conflicts are undermined by lol indoctrination. About the only interesting ones are (and this is just off the top of my head) Mordin's dealing with his role in the Genophage modification and the Geth/Quarian issue.

Honestly, though, people (or at least sci-fi fans) tend to hugely overstate the intellectual chops of your average work. Like, take Star Trek, a series notable these days for its fanbase that will not stop insisting that the pre-JJ shows were bastions of intellectualism. No, they weren't. 95% of the stuff they talked about they did with the emotional and academic subtlety of a 100-ton hydraulic press. "These guys are half black on the left, and these ones are half black on the right, and they hate each other! Isn't that irrational." There are important messages there, but they weren't particularly intellectually rigorous, by and large. Ditto ME. Interesting themes are referenced, touched on, occasionally wielded, but not explored in any great depth, or with any great skill, and that's fine. It's not the objective.

yeah, sci-fi tends to be, just by its very nature, end up being pretty heavy-handed allegory. which can be mistaken for inherent intellectual heft. but that's fine.

ME is a lightweight series, by standards of sci-fi and otherwise. at its heart, it's Michael Bay. and that's fine too.

TV sci-fi generally is really limited because it almost never has a quality budget (not unlike video games), so its a bad comparison, but film? books? ME is juvenile.

Prologue

Trailer didn't excite me much, but will still pick it up.

Mass Effect had 3 launch trailers that were incredibly epic. I hope they meet that level, this certainly didn't.

They do touch on interesting topics in sci-fi space: ultra-humanism (Cerberus), genetic warfare and its sociological fallout (Genophage), mass brainwash versus genocide (A House Divided), sentient AI successfully forcing exile of creator race (Geth and Quarian Flotillas).

I will concede if you name me the sci-fi TV series episode that explores those subjects.
Ultra Humanism: Terra Nova (Enterprise) and Into Darkness - both had an anti-human Cerberus slant and starred Peter Weller as two different characters. Which was odd but cool.

Genetic Warfare - not a specific episode but Starfleet infected the Founders with a disease designed to wipe them out. That played out over 4 seasons.

Mass brainwash vs Genocide - Voyager Unimatrix Zero.

AI banishing their creators? Battlestar Galactica.

Complistic

I think I've lowered my expectations enough to where I might be able to enjoy the spectacle. They're not trying to tell a serious, gritty story, it's an action movie.

Zaeed was in my squad pretty much the whole game, what a badass.

Man, taking him to Omega to recruit Archangel has one of the best lines in the series.

"That's goddamned suicide"

The way he delivers it with a resigned chuckle is fantastic, one of those moments from the series that makes me love it

Top Bottom