• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

Innotech

Banned
ethelred said:
You just go on and tell yourself whatever helps you sleep better at night.
I dont sleep at night. Im a night owl.
I sleep in two places. 1. on my keyboard 2. on the floor if I dont make it to the bed.
Either place is suitable.

Christine

ethelred said:
I'm torn between wanting to see Wii-only owners never get a single worthwhile game ever and my desire to see spates of irrational conniptions from graphic whores when major franchises are shunted down to the Wii.

I'll admit, I am a complete ass. Of the very highest order.

Can we get both? Have our cake and eat it too, so to speak?

Lobster

Banned
Innotech said:
I wont be one forever, but for people who stick to the system, I dont see a problem with that.

Considering most people in this generation will be one, no theres really nothing wrong with it.

apujanata

HyperionX said:
Nothing more wrong than being a GC-only gamer, right?

I haven't met anyone who is GC-only gamer, but a lot of my friends are Wii-only (so far). I am still waiting for $300 PS3, so I can buy one. In the mean time, I have my PS2, NDS & Wii to tide me over.

Durante

Terrell said:
Wow, look at those Disgaea numbers... I owe a bunch of people an apology.
Well, it's not like you were completely and utterly wrong by 2 orders of magnitude. Oh wait.
Apology accepted

Just noticed how weird does #1 best selling title in amazon is...it deserves support, here it goes:

51WyarLvADL._SS400_.jpg

Go Flight-Plan x Banpresto :)

And we won't see it in English, I know. Life is cruel.

Moor-Angol said:
According to Enterbrain, Brawl sold 1.082.344 copies in 2 weeks, source Famitsu

what a big drop from 1st to 2nd week...
Huge drop, but since the first shipment was basically sold out in the first week maybe the second shipment just wasn't that big?

Phife Dawg said:
Huge drop, but since the first shipment was basically sold out in the first week maybe the second shipment just wasn't that big?

It would be, what, a 260k second week based on those figures? If so I'll be interested to see what it does in week 3. I'm expecting it to be a perennial seller, but I don't know how promptly it will drop off. The only figures I can find for SSBM show a drop from a 360k first week to a 60k second week, so percentage-wise it's improved on its predecessor (approx. 30% of first week compared to approx. 15% of first week) and in the face of apparent shortages, it doesn't look too bad.

pswii60

Moor-Angol said:

Still a lot to sell in week 2, and I wouldn't speak so soon. Galaxy has had legs.

Totalriot

Moor-Angol said:

So Brawl is officially the fastest Wii game to sell 1 million copies. Wii Fit needed 7 weeks and Wii Sports 11 weeks.

jesusraz

Totalriot said:
So Brawl is officially the fastest Wii game to sell 1 million copies. Wii Fit needed 7 weeks and Wii Sports 11 weeks.
That puzzled me, because I was pretty sure Wii Fit sold a million in about a month...

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:

Comparison with NSMB (Famitsu) :
First week : 865,024
Second week : 315,197
Third week : 242,932
4th Week : 204,007

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If the numbers I put on Friday were correct, it was 816k, thus 266k second week.

I don't think the SSBB drop-off is significantly worse compared with NSMB (and we all know where NMSB's LTD are today).
816K is 94% of 865K
94% of 315K is 296K.
the 266K is about 10% (30K) lower than what it should be if it attain the exact percentage drop from first week to second week as NSMB's.

Totalriot

jesusraz said:
That puzzled me, because I was pretty sure Wii Fit sold a million in about a month...

Using the data from Joshua's site the LTD has been:

2007-11-26 254,009
2007-12-03 407,228
2007-12-10 527,069
2007-12-17 737,475
2007-12-24 818,166
2007-12-31 911,861
2008-01-07 1,005,167

Link

A rather slow start but very consistent sales.

apujanata

jesusraz said:

M-create has Wii Fit crossing the 1 Million milestone by week ending Jan 6 (37 days / 6 weeks after release).
Famitsu figure cross 1 Million by week ending Jan 13, 2007 (44 days / 7 weeks after release).

Since IGN is referring to Famitsu # for SSBB, it makes sense to also use Famitsu figure for Wii Sports and Wii Fit (apple to apple).

jesusraz

apujanata said:
M-create has Wii Fit crossing the 1 Million milestone by week ending Jan 6 (37 days / 6 weeks after release).
Famitsu figure cross 1 Million by week ending Jan 13, 2007 (44 days / 7 weeks after release).

Since IGN is referring to Famitsu # for SSBB, it makes sense to also use Famitsu figure for Wii Sports and Wii Fit (apple to apple).
Fair point. Cheers for the clarification. I just had it in my head it cracked the million on December's sales alone...ah well. Still pretty fast!

donny2112

Innotech said:
theres nothing wrong with being a Wii-only gamer.

Why don't you own a DS!?!

apujanata said:
I haven't met anyone who is GC-only gamer,

You don't live in the U.S., either.

Moor-Angol said:

SSBB
1st week: 816K
2nd week: 266K

NSMB
1st week: 865K
2nd week: 315K

Exactly. the. same. drop. :lol Awesome.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It seems to be sold out in my humble little burg.

How curious. But doesn't it first have to "sell" before it can be considered "sold" out?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This thread is as good as any for a place to put this, since starting a new thread on sales and attracting the random console warriors is a bad idea. I'm trying to devise a list of million sellers worldwide for current generation stuff. Not shippers, sellers. There was a thread on this topic a while ago, but it was filled with "I hope this sells a million", "The PR said it sells a million", "VGHCHHARTZZZ sez", etc.

Here are my rules:
- Any game that sold a million in one single territory or a combination of territories for which we have confirmed to-consumer sales.
- Any game that has both shipped over a million and sold >850-900k to the point that it's reasonable to expect the game has or will shortly sell one million worldwide.
- Any game where the game has sold very close to one million between known sale territories... and with European chart performance to suggest sales that would push the game over the brink.

So, here's what I've got:
PS3 (4); Motorstorm (US + Euro bundles), Resistance (US + Euro bundles), Call of Duty 4 (US very close to 1 mln, Euro should push it over), Assassin's Creed (US + Euro performance). Likely additions: PES 2008 (Japan + Euro sales should be >= 800k so far), Uncharted (AFAIK has shipped approx 1 mln, don't feel comfortable claiming Euro sales are enough to make up the difference between US sales and shipped).

X360 (18+); Halo 3 (US), Gears (US), Call of Duty 4 (US), Forza 2 (US + bundles), Assassin's Creed (US), Guitar Hero 2 (US), Guitar Hero 3 (US), Call of Duty 2 (US), Call of Duty 3 (US), Madden NFL 07 (US), Madden NFL 08 (US), GRAW (US), R6:Vegas (US), Marvel Ultimate Alliance (US + bundles), Oblivion (US), Saints Row (US + Europe), Dead Rising (US + Japan + Europe), Bioshock (US + Europe).
Likely additions: Mass Effect (US + Europe should basically be there), Crackdown (US alone is VERY very close, so I assume Europe can carry the difference), Fight Night Round 3 (I think it shipped a million worldwide but I'm not sure sales are there yet), PGR3 (If Europe is good enough, US+Europe), GRAW2 (Shipped just over a million), NFS:Carbon (Shipped), NFS:Most Wanted (Shipped), Lost Planet (Shipped), Perfect Dark Zero (Shipped).

Am I missing any 360? Are any of the likely additions confirmed million sellers?

Wii (10+); Wii Sports (US), Wii Play (US), Mario Galaxy (US), Mario Party 8 (US), Twilight Princess (US), WarioWare (US+JPN), Super Paper Mario (US+JPN), Wii Fit (JPN), Mario & Sonic (US+JPN), Guitar Hero 3 (US).
Likely additions: Big Brain Academy (US+JPN+Europe likely has already broken 1 mln), RE4 (Shipped a million, Euro performance might be enough), Rayman (Shipped a million ages ago), Red Steel (Shipped a million ages ago), Mario Strikers (Shipped over a million but known overship issue in Japan), MP3 (Shipped a million, not sold through yet), Link's Crossbow Training (US close, depends on Europe performance), Carnival Games (almost at a million), Brawl (will be at a million by next week's numbers)

Any of those likely additions actually confirmed?

For handhelds, the data is much sketchier... at least I have less data because I don't spreadsheet handheld data.

PSP; GTA:LCS (US), GTA:VCS (US+Europe), Midnight Club 3 (US+Europe), NFS:MW (US+Europe), Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (JPN), Monster Hunter Freedom (JPN+US), Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Worldwide), Everybody's Golf (Worldwide), Daxter (US+bundles).
Likely additions: There are probably around 10 titles that have sold a little less than a million and may have made it past the barrier, but since I don't track this stuff I have no idea.

DS; Brain Training (JPN), Brain Training 2 (JPN), Pokemon Diamond (JPN), Pokemon Pearl (JPN), Nintendogs (JPN), NSMB (JPN), Mario Kart (JPN), Animal Crossing (JPN), Mario 64 (JPN), Big Brain Academy (JPN), Zelda: PH (JPN+US), English Training (JPN), Tetris (JPN), Pokemon MD (JPN+US), Mario Party DS (JPN), Yoshi's Island (JPN+US), Cooking Mama (US+Europe), Pokemon Ranger (JPN+US), WarioWare (JPN), Flash Focus (JPN+US), FF3 (JPN), Kirby Squeak Squad (JPN), Love and Berry (JPN), DQM:J (JPN), Common Sense Training (JPN), Tamagotchi Connection (JPN), Love and Berry (JPN), DQIV (JPN), Mario Hoops (JPN+US), Mario vs. DK2 (JPN+US), Diddy Kong Racing DS (US+Europe).
Possible current million sellers: Sonic Rush (worldwide), MySims (worldwide; depends heavily on Europe), Mario and Luigi: PIT (worldwide), Zoo Tycoon (US+Europe; depends on Europe), Super Princess Peach (shipped; sales depend on Europe), Clubhouse Games (depends on Europe)
Likely additions: Layton (almost there in JPN, US+Euro sales will put it over eventually), FF4 (US+Euro sales will put it over), Revenant Wings (outside chance that US+Euro sales will carry it).

So we're looking at around 70 million sellers this gen so far up to as many as 150 or so counting the off-chance games that squeak a million counting every crevace of the earth.

botticus

For Wii, Big Brain Academy would have to have performed better in Europe than the US (is it budget priced there? if so, possible) to be there yet. If we assume Mario Strikers sold as well in Europe as it did in the US, then it's over a million.

The lack of hard Europe data continues to be bothersome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:
For Wii, Big Brain Academy would have to have performed better in Europe than the US (is it budget priced there? if so, possible) to be there yet. If we assume Mario Strikers sold as well in Europe as it did in the US, then it's over a million.

BBA did break a million. It did substantially better in Europe than the US. It was budget priced there, yes. In this case, shipments reflect this but I feel that chart performance more than backs up the shipment information to the point that I feel very comfortable saying that yes, it is a million seller.

WRT Strikers, there's the opposite problem. Nintendo has shipped quite a bit over a million Strikers units, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, the game is at >300k shipped in Japan and only ~110k sold in Japan. Since we have an obvious obvious obvious case of overshipping in Japan, I'm skeptical of relying on euro shipments + deduction based on chart performance.

botticus

Stumpokapow said:
WRT Strikers, there's the opposite problem. Nintendo has shipped quite a bit over a million Strikers units, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, the game is at >300k shipped in Japan and only ~110k sold in Japan. Since we have an obvious obvious obvious case of overshipping in Japan, I'm skeptical of relying on euro shipments + deduction based on chart performance.
In that case, US+JPN BBA is about the same as US+JPN Strikers, so if you or someone else has paid more attention to European charts than I have, a deduction might be made there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Jokeropia

Stumpokapow said:
I think we can quite easily assume the sell-through to be +1 million. First of all it shipped 240k to Japan, and since this number didn't change at all from the end of September report to the end of December report while the number shipped to the West did, it strongly suggests that the overshipment issue was a Japan only thing.

Shipments as of September 30:
Japan: 240k
West: 1090k

Shipments as of December 31:
Japan: 240k
West: 1410k

Had the game been overshipped in the West like in Japan, retailers wouldn't have ordered an additional 320k for the last three months of 2007.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You listed Love and Berry twice and forgot Pokemon MD 2

Also I thought we got reports saying Mass Effect definitely sold through one million

Didnt Tecmo say they had shipped one million of DoA 4?

And I think your PSP list is missing Ridge Racer

Minsc

Gold Member
HK-47 said:
Also I thought we got reports saying Mass Effect definitely sold through one million

Sure is:

"We knew that with Mass Effect's combination of a rich story, expansive universe, and tactical combat it would attract a wide audience, but the success of the game has truly exceeded our expectations. To date, Mass Effect has surpassed 1.6 million units sold since launching on November 20, and is the fastest selling RPG on Xbox 360 and the fastest selling RPG on the current generation of video game consoles," Welch said.

That's from a month ago as well, probably over 2M now, with the PC version and an inevitable greatest hits version, and the forthcoming sequels, it may even pass 4M total sales way down the road.

Sharp

Wow, I can't believe I thought Japan wouldn't like Smash that much. If it sells this well in casual gaming land, I can't even imagine how it will do in the West.

Vinci

Danish
Sharp said:
Wow, I can't believe I thought Japan wouldn't like Smash that much. If it sells this well in casual gaming land, I can't even imagine how it will do in the West.

It's going to cause lootings, riots, and the deaths of many.
Lovely time to be a gamer, isn't it?

kswiston

Minsc said:
Sure is:

That's from a month ago as well, probably over 2M now, with the PC version and an inevitable greatest hits version, and the forthcoming sequels, it may even pass 4M total sales way down the road.

I thought that was sold to retailers though. People told me that the Halo 3 8.1M number was "sold to retailers" and that 1.6M originally came from the same press release.

Anyhow, If I'm remembering correctly, Nov+Dec NPD were somewhere around 900k for Mass Effect, so there's next to no chance of it being under 1M by now factoring in its release in Europe.

EDIT: Here's a copy of the original PR statement.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Vinci said:
It's going to cause lootings, riots, and the deaths of many.
Lovely time to be a gamer, isn't it?

Even better time to be an internet shopper and avoid all those nasty riots and street mugging business. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
You listed Love and Berry twice and forgot Pokemon MD 2

Pokemon MD2 is only over a million combining both versions. Ill wait until each individual version breaks a million.

Shipped although sellthrough is likely as well at this point. That PR is clearly shipped and not sold.

Didnt Tecmo say they had shipped one million of DoA 4?

Shipped but I don't have sellthrough figures suggesting it's close enough for me to be comfortable putting it on the list.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
Pokemon MD2 is only over a million combining both versions. Ill wait until each individual version breaks a million.
Why? The Pokemons have always been combined, just like any game with two simultaneously release versions. Pokemon D/P should be combine as well

Jiggy

Innotech said:
theres nothing wrong with being a Wii-only owner.
Well, except that--
donny2112 said:
Why don't you own a DS!?!
--yeah, that about covers it. Seriously, if you don't own a DS you're missing out on a good 85% of quality Nintendo-system titles from this gen. (Probably more, actually, but I'm trying to make a conservative statement here to avoid someone tossing list wars at me.)

nli10

Stumpokapow said:
as both shipped over a million and sold >850-900k to the point that it's reasonable to expect the game has or will shortly sell one million worldwide. I think this is fair because
- Any game where the game has sold very close to one million between known sale territories... and with European chart performance to suggest sales that would push the game over the brink.

You probably already use it but ELSPA UK SALES AWARDS show the UK sales to the nearest 100,000 passed. These can be useful for guessing Euro sales, but it really depends on what game as to whether the UK mirrors the USA or mainland Europe for sales of specific titles.

Brain Academy Wii has 300,000 just in the UK so as you say surefire Million seller WW.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
Why? The Pokemons have always been combined, just like any game with two simultaneously release versions. Pokemon D/P should be combine as well

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl have both independently passed one million. There's no particular reason to necessarily combine or not combine SKUs of the same game. NPD does not combine limited editions, some trackers do. Media Create and Famitsu split on whether or not Pokemon DP are one or two games.

At any rate, it's pretty irrelevant because by the end of the year both of the Pokemon MD2 SKUs will independently be million sellers.

Top Bottom