• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/2 - 4/8

enishi

PSP ~30k (looks like a standard right now)

Sinobi suggested that PS3 may sell below 10k per week in May considering the game release schedule. It will be improved in June. It is selling "in the lower half of 10k" (I can't understand this part well...)

[PS2] gRiMgRiMoiRe ~15k

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
enishi said:

Sinobi suggested that PS3 may sell below 10k per week in May considering the game release schedule. It will be improved in June. It is selling "in the lower half of 10k" (I can't understand this part well...)

Wow..just wow

ziran

enishi said:

[PS2] gRiMgRiMoiRe ~15k
Perhaps it means the lower half of the tens, i.e. lower teens, 10-15k?

...and if it drops sub 10k, oh dear...

schuelma

ziran said:
Perhaps it means the lower half of the tens, i.e. lower teens, 10-15k?

Yeah that's how I took it. Still, an absolute disaster.

sphinx

the piano man
enishi said:

[PS2] gRiMgRiMoiRe ~15k

Am I missing somethng here? Every time sales figures are announced, the comments from developers, media and analysts is " it will improve when X month arrives " and they say it like: " do not worry! everything is absolutely fine! Sony is just preparing engines to take off and leave competition behind! "

there HAS to be some negative consequences for sony if they sell 10k~ until June every damn weak in Japan. Why in the world isn't anyone in the gaming media or else freaking out? FFS, it's doing worse than gamecube numbers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sphinx said:
Why in the world isn't anyone in the gaming media or else freaking out? FFS, it's doing worse than gamecube numbers.
Because the hardware is a beast? Great games are coming? Playstation brand still means something? I agree though Sony is in trouble if they can't afford to dramastically reduce the PS3 price.

sphinx

the piano man
marc^o^ said:
Because the hardware is a beast? Great games are coming? Playstation brand still means something? I agree though Sony is in trouble if they can't afford to dramastically reduce the PS3 price.

but the numbers aren't debatable!

if you sell 14,345 units of your console in japan, 5 months after launch, you ARE in trouble, no matter your brand power or if great games will eventually come. That's what I don't get, it should be pretty simple:

bad numbers: react ( more games, prices cuts, etc )
good numbers: keep the good work.

but for sony is

bad numbers: oh, it's o.k, we only care about holidays 2007 and FFXIII anyway.

Bo130 said:
Layton was 2 weeks ago. Wii Sports hasn't been off the Top 10 yet.

For Media-create. For Famitsu, I don't think Layton has been out of the top 10, but I think Wii Sports has been at least once.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So Wii shipments aren't picking up? Nintendo is still looking for a second manufacturer?

andthebeatgoeson

sphinx said:
Am I missing somethng here? Every time sales figures are announced, the comments from developers, media and analysts is " it will improve when X month arrives " and they say it like: " do not worry! everything is absolutely fine! Sony is just preparing engines to take off and leave competition behind! "

there HAS to be some negative consequences for sony if they sell 10k~ until June every damn weak in Japan. Why in the world isn't anyone in the gaming media or else freaking out? FFS, it's doing worse than gamecube numbers.

No need for freaking out from the gaming media. Hopefully, they can leave freak outs to the boards. But IGN had an article about how it wasn't doing so well in JPN a few weeks back. Trust me, every one that wants to know, knows. It's just that it still is a high price and you at least need to give it a good 6-12 months before all the doom and gloom articles start. Actually, wait til something happens to MGS and FF. Once those get ported or totally dropped, there will be nothing left to hang on. Sony still has them as exclusives but when the become non-exclusive, it'll be real hard for Sony to justify their price tag.

I said it before: Sony is in bad shape. All over the world. The only thing keeping them alive is the promise/hope for some exclusive games. If they lose a majority of those, then you can't ignore the 360 anymore.

schuelma

Roders5 said:
Will we definitely not be getting media create numbers this week or is that next week?

I thought that was for Golden week.

So people still refuse to buy anything else than Wii Sports and Wii Play for Wii? I wonder how long the console can survive on those two titles alone.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Zerodoppler said:
So people still refuse to buy anything else than Wii Sports and Wii Play for Wii? I wonder how long the console can survive on those two titles alone.
Do Animal Crossing, NSMB, or Brain Training games ring a bell for you? Wii Sports has such legs, you'll likely see it in the charts next year.

sphinx said:
but the numbers aren't debatable!

if you sell 14,345 units of your console in japan, 5 months after launch, you ARE in trouble, no matter your brand power or if great games will eventually come. That's what I don't get, it should be pretty simple:

bad numbers: react ( more games, prices cuts, etc )
good numbers: keep the good work.

but for sony is

bad numbers: oh, it's o.k, we only care about holidays 2007 and FFXIII anyway.

Tha's because noone cares.

You're not hearing anything because people aren't paying attention to the PS3 outside of enthusiast magazines like Famitsu. Why bother saying "Where are the PS3 games?" when you have the DS and Wii destroying everything you knew about sales charts and the PSP pulling in solid if not spectacular numbers?

All that "brand" speak that GAF touts is bullshit anyway. Your brand will not carry a product that the public does not demand. The PSX was proof of this, and now the PS3 with its absolute dearth of games is proving it again. The end.

Thraktor

marc^o^ said:
Do Animal Crossing, NSMB, or Brain Training games ring a bell for you? Wii Sports has such legs, you'll likely see it in the charts next year.

Speaking of which, by Media-Create's numbers, Wii Sports is on track to have stayed in the top 10 for 20 consecutive weeks tomorrow. Does anyone know if there's a record for this (held by one of the above, perhaps), and how far Wii Sports is from breaking it?

ethelred

Zerodoppler said:

Er, they've also bought lots of copies of Zelda, Wario Ware, Fire Emblem, and Dragon Ball Z.

We'll see how Super Paper Mario sells soon enough.

Totalriot

Thraktor said:
Speaking of which, by Media-Create's numbers, Wii Sports is on track to have stayed in the top 10 for 20 consecutive weeks tomorrow. Does anyone know if there's a record for this (held by one of the above, perhaps), and how far Wii Sports is from breaking it?

Don't have any numbers but as far as I remember Brain Training 1 stayed in the top 10 for almost a year. Brain Training 2 ist still at #21!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Zerodoppler said:

Considering Wii Sports has outsold all Japanese PS3 titles combined I'd say they can survive on those for quite a while.

I expect Big Brain Academy to try and emulate the sales pattern for a while though, while Super Paper Mario will sell heaps at first and then linger around the 20s-30s on the charts, a la Twilight Princess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
skinnyrattler said:
No need for freaking out from the gaming media. Hopefully, they can leave freak outs to the boards. But IGN had an article about how it wasn't doing so well in JPN a few weeks back. Trust me, every one that wants to know, knows. It's just that it still is a high price and you at least need to give it a good 6-12 months before all the doom and gloom articles start.
But isn't the price not that high in Japan compared to everywhere else?

andthebeatgoeson

XiaNaphryz said:
But isn't the price not that high in Japan compared to everywhere else?
Doesn't matter. It is still around $400. Still too high.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Tha's because noone cares.

You're not hearing anything because people aren't paying attention to the PS3 outside of enthusiast magazines like Famitsu. Why bother saying "Where are the PS3 games?" when you have the DS and Wii destroying everything you knew about sales charts and the PSP pulling in solid if not spectacular numbers?

All that "brand" speak that GAF touts is bullshit anyway. Your brand will not carry a product that the public does not demand. The PSX was proof of this, and now the PS3 with its absolute dearth of games is proving it again. The end.

Brand should help in keeping you successful but if Sony really did think they could rely on brand name, that's retarded. You still have to have games and value to the consumer. You still have to do the heavy work. If anything, they should have seen Xbox's success in NA and understood that they early launch of PS2 and their success in Japan was what pushed them to heaven.

Finn

I'm oddly excited for tonight's numbers. Hopefully we don't have any Sony in our Nintendo top 10. Those are definitely not two great tastes that taste great together.

schuelma

alejob said:
Whats this? Where are todays numbers? GAF disappointment total!

:lol Cant wait. Bet everything is down.

They usually aren't up for another hour, and a new thread is created.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
skinnyrattler said:
Doesn't matter. It is still around $400. Still too high.
I suppose, but the PS2 launch price was only like $50-60 more wasn't it? I could be remembering wrong.

skinnyrattler said:
I said it before: Sony is in bad shape. All over the world. The only thing keeping them alive is the promise/hope for some exclusive games. If they lose a majority of those, then you can't ignore the 360 anymore.
Oh, you can in Japan, let me assure you. You can in Japan.

If MGS4 gets ported to 360, it will have no effect on the PS3's sales. If FFXIII gets ported to 360, same situation. If either of the two games (moreso FFXIII) are shifted to the Wii (since for control and technical reasons, a port would never do), the PS3 is dead in Japan. DEAD.

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Oh, you can in Japan, let me assure you. You can in Japan.

If MGS4 gets ported to 360, it will have no effect on the PS3's sales. If FFXIII gets ported to 360, same situation.
Sure, there'd be a few hundred thousand less of the hardcore who feel the need to buy a PS3 since they already bought an X360 for Blue Dragon or whatever.

EDIT: On second thought those who bought an X360 seem likely to be among those who already bought a PS3.

Top Bottom