• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Laguna

Banned
It's honestly really annoying because other than the fact that they're new IPs (and the install bases at the time of release were really different) they have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER.

It´s an interesting comparison because a new IP with a far smaller marketing budget sold more than a game positioned as a MH substitute/ btw as Sonys answer to the loss of the MH franchise and with a much bigger marketing budget, because for its implication about the systems viability for new 3rd party investments.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know simple facts must hurt to some Sonyfans like you that want to celebrate mediocre sales (for a highly marketed game)/good sales for Vitas standards instead of having an honest discussion . I wasn´t even the first one to make a comparison with Bravely Default in this thread, also I don´t see any problem with it because both are new IPs and as much as it hurts you it´s just a fact that Soul Sacrifice sold less than the far less marketed Bravely Default.
Its fine to discuss i think, but what i wonder about is what the goal of the discussion. Was it to show that Soul Sacrifice numbers werent good because Bravely Default sold better? Or what there another goal, if yes, what was it? Honest question, i'm wondering about it.

of course... this week he can't continue his weekly "hey, look at Vita! it's doomed!!!!!11" discussion so he tried to switch to another argument ;)
Hehe, well, i'm just curious to why it was brought up :)

wow, what a genius...
BD sold much more on 3DS cause selling 150k from a 6mln userbase is so much easier than selling from a 1,2mln system....
didn't you realize that ? rotfl, Vita haters are really amazing :D
but come on, really matters because the installed base now?
I thought that the new ip would sell only on 3DS

ksamedi

It´s an interesting comparison because a new IP with a far smaller marketing budget sold more than a game positioned as a MH substitute/ btw as Sonys answer to the loss of the MH franchise and with a much bigger marketing budget, because for its implication about the systems viability for new 3rd party investments.

New IP's rearely do big numbers out of the gate. They build up and show legs if they are succesful. Its the sequels that show real growth. I really don't see how this comparison works in any way. SS did great, and legs will show if it will grow. Its too soon to write off SS because it sold similarly to BD. It has potential to show legs. Besides that, third party investments really should not be dependent on one game doing great or not. Vita has shown plenty of times that there is a software hungry audiance for it. I think Vita will gain momentum, eventually.

test_account

XP-39C²
Regarding upcoming games for the Vita, just a quick yes or no question, do you guys think there will be no big Vita titles after July (not sure whats known of upcoming games after this)?

Laguna

Banned
Its fine to discuss i think, but what i wonder about is what the goal of the discussion. Was it to show that Soul Sacrifice numbers werent good because Bravely Default sold better? Honest question, i'm wondering about it.

Hehe, well, i'm just curious to why it was brought up :)

I don´t understand why you are so up in arms? It´s just a simple comparison between two new IPs. Does it really bother you so much that SS got outsold by Bravely Default?

test_account

XP-39C²
I don´t understand why you are so up in arms? It´s just a simple comparison between two new IPs. Does it really bother you so much that SS got outsold by Bravely Default?
I'm not up in arms at all, why do you think that? What i'm asking is a straight forward and calm question. Maybe it is not that easy to see it because my question is in written form, but it was just a question asked in a calm manner. If you just ment it to compare two new IPs and had no other intentions behind the comparison, then why not just reply that to my question? =)

No, it doesnt bother me because they both sold about the same and i think both games will have success. It wouldnt bother me one way or the other if one game sold 500k more as long as both games have success.

zeopower6

There are only 2 options, you searched but simply missed the comparison in this thread or just a liar.

Here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49986594&postcount=483

Dude, that was posted two hours after you initially made the BD vs. SS comparison.

ks4Oa4C.png

Nj7qlLR.png

Please just stop bringing it up. :( You seem to be on some sort of mission to discredit the sales of the Vita and SS this week.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Real life never lives up to comic books and cartoons because we may never get the origin story/flashback behind what Sony did to Laguna and if there's ever a chance he'll forgive the knave.

ohlawd

Regarding upcoming games for the Vita, just a quick yes or no question, do you guys think there will be no big Vita titles after July (not sure whats known of upcoming games after this)?

hell yeah Soul Sacrifice 2.
Persona 5
The Last of Us 2
Bioshock Infinite 2

DaBoss

There are only 2 options, you searched but simply missed the comparison in this thread or just a liar.

Here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49986594&postcount=483

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49974660&postcount=60

This sales are in line with my prediction in the other thread. PSV 60k and SS 130K.

92k+22k(*2)= 136k

Therefore it failed to make any impact. With this kind of sales 3rd parties won´t be impressed. Even Bravely Default, a game with near to no marketing budget, sold more.

But to make some of you happy. "It sold amazing for Vitas standards".

You brought up the comparison first in this thread. KillerTravis brought it after.

zeopower6

Persona 5
The Last of Us 2
Bioshock Infinite 2

Persona 5 is PS3 most likely. Didn't Persona 4 come out on the PS2 around the time that PS3 was out?

I'm gonna hope we'll get some game announcements in the next few months unless they really want the Vita's release schedule to be pretty dry until E3/TGS... :(

DGRE

Banned
Wow can we please move on from BD VS SS.

Next week is going to be extremely telling. If there is little to no drop in hardware sales I think Sony will have positioned themselves to at least ride out the gen.

SS's legs are also going to be really telling. If it can hold fairly well Sony may have found their MonHun replacement.

If sales drop about 50% for hardware Vita will have won the battle but still lost the war.

test_account

XP-39C²
not 3rd party exclusives
Persona 5
The Last of Us 2
Bioshock Infinite 2
Sounds plausible. Although i doubt about The Last of Us 2 and Bioshock Infinte 2 (unless those were ment as jokes hehe :p).

The victimism in these threads is becoming unbearable.
I'm not sure if someone acts like victims, i see it more as calling different statements/opinions out. People have been discussing and saying similar things for as long as i can remember in these threads, and i've been reading them since 2006/2007 or so. Nothing really new in that regards :)

But that's an obvious principle that applies to every system ever. GC would have beaten PS2 in Japan if it somehow had had the lattegr's third-party support, and Wii would still be selling decently if third parties had invested in it before the gen started instead of PS3, and Vita would at least be reasonably competitive with 3DS if PSP's third-party support had actually carried over, but none of those things actually happened.

Yep, and GC even outsold PS2 at least once (the week Tales of Symphonia was released). Didn't change the course of the generation, and that system had a lot more going for it software-wise than Vita.

I'd be crazy to think that an exclusive FF/DQ/GE/MH/MGS wouldn't do a ton to move hardware, but the odds of such a title materializing at this point are vanishingly small.
I think an exclusive FF and especially GE isn't out of the question. If GE2 does well enough, I'm willing to bet that GE2: Burst is a vita exclusive. I think metal gear in some form is coming to vita(whether it be an exclusive title or a port of phantom pain/ground zero).

Maedhros

Wow can we please move on from BD VS SS.

Next week is going to be extremely telling. If there is little to no drop in hardware sales I think Sony will have positioned themselves to at least ride out the gen.

SS's legs are also going to be really telling. If it can hold fairly well Sony may have found their MonHun replacement.

If sales drop about 50% for hardware Vita will have won the battle but still lost the war.
It would be great if the game performed like the first Monster Hunter Portable (which ended selling 600k copies).

zeopower6

I think if they still sell pretty terribly with a constant stream of games (at least one new title (no ports) every week for a month or two), then we can probably say it's failed and lost the war. At this point though, the PSP is still releasing more new games on a more consistent basis than the Vita which IMO is one of the big reasons why the Vita hasn't really found its legs. The PSP is still around and the Japanese still love it! (and you can't play the UMDs on the Vita...)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I think we will first have to clarify what it means by "big" here, especially regarding the context of big on an overall term or big for the vita. For example, an indle game is seem as "big" for the vita, but i wouldn't say it is big in general. A mid tier game port like street fighter x tekken or mortal kombat is big for the vita but not in general term too.

serplux

I think if they still sell pretty terribly with a constant stream of games (at least one new title (no ports) every week for a month or two), then we can probably say it's failed and lost the war. At this point though, the PSP is still releasing more new games on a more consistent basis than the Vita which IMO is one of the big reasons why the Vita hasn't really found its legs. The PSP is still around and the Japanese still love it! (and you can't play the UMDs on the Vita...)

When will the Vita ever get a consistent stream of games though? It's suffered through droughts its entire life.

It would be great if the game performed like the first Monster Hunter Portable (which ended selling 600k copies).

I don't think that's very plausible. :p

zeopower6

When will the Vita ever get a consistent stream of games though? It's suffered through droughts its entire life.

Yeah, its entire 16-17 month lifetime. It's been around for so long, yet there aren't many games out! Next year at least should be a bit brighter for the Vita considering that last year, it was only about 4 months old.

I can't help but feel that the decision to not include a UMD drive in the Vita probably made people stick to their PSPs even more and that the existence of the PSP alongside the Vita is cannibalizing it for now :(

test_account

XP-39C²
I think we will first have to clarify what it means by "big" here, especially regarding the context of big on an overall term or big for the vita. For example, an indle game is seem as "big" for the vita, but i wouldn't say it is big in general. A mid tier game port like street fighter x tekken or mortal kombat is big for the vita but not in general term too.
Yeah, "big" is a vague description of it indeed. I was mostly thinking about some noticeable release, maybe 100k+ seller or so.

The PSP is still around and the Japanese still love it! (and you can't play the UMDs on the Vita...)

How true is this really, though?

I mean, this isn't like the 3DS/ DS situation in the States; PSP just isn't selling any more, and hasn't been for over a year. It's not that there's a problem transitioning PSP buyers to Vita, it's that people aren't buying PSP or Vita in regular big numbers.

serplux

Why not? We don't know nothing at this point. BTW: MHP was the title that made MH popular in Japan.

Simply because it would have to sell to 50% of the userbase for that to happen. And that kinda attach rate is unheard of for a new IP. (There are other factors going against that happening, but still.)

DaBoss

Why not? We don't know nothing at this point. BTW: MHP was the title that made MH popular in Japan.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think that it will be hard for Soul Sacrifice to reach 600K and seems unlikely with the current userbase.

zeopower6

How true is this really, though?

I mean, this isn't like the 3DS/ DS situation in the States; PSP just isn't selling any more, and hasn't been for over a year. It's not that there's a problem transitioning PSP buyers to Vita, it's that people aren't buying PSP or Vita in regular big numbers.

Hadn't the PSP been outselling the Vita for the last few months in Japan? North America doesn't really seem to count since handheld sales overall are pretty dim here anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
Simply because it would have to sell to 50% of the userbase for that to happen. And that kinda attach rate is unheard of for a new IP. (There are other factors going against that happening, but still.)
The userbase will also grow over time, so it wont necessarily be around 50%.

Maedhros

Oh... that's right...

300~400k LTD would be great with the actual userbase then.

The Vita hasn't had any real droughts of games. It has droughts of big seller exclusives. "games" don't exist in just the form of a boxed product that you buy exclusive to a platform. The appeal is a completely different issue though.
I don't think that's very plausible. :p
Dude, it's the game's first week. It may not reach those numbers, but lets see if it has some legs first.
The PSP wasn't exactly on fire either when the first MHP made the IP and the platform truly popular.

Laguna

Banned
No, it doesnt bother me because they both sold about the same and i think both games will have success. It wouldnt bother me one way or the other if one game sold 500k more as long as both games have success.

So where´s the problem with the comparison then? It´s not like I didn´t explain the reason, But instead of a discussion some other users feel the need to "protect the honor of SS" with some stupid remarks. And yes I think Soul Sacrifice didn´t sell well enough to attract other 3rd party publishers attention with this kind of sales. Like I already said it only did good for itself but failed to have 1st week sales that could rise the interest of other 3rd parties in my opinion, only long legs could change that.

its worth noting the original monster hunter portable launched during the holidays so that wouldnt have done its legs any harm, worth noting for those that think SS could follow a similar path

serplux

The Vita hasn't had any real droughts of games. It has droughts of big seller exclusives. "games" don't exist in just the form of a boxed product that you buy exclusive to your platform. The appeal is a completely different issue though.

Dude, it's the game's first week. It may not reach those numbers, but lets see if it has some legs first.
The PSP wasn't exactly on fire either when the first MHP made the IP and the platform truly popular.

I was talking more in terms of relevant-selling games (which I'd say a game qualifies if it reaches 50k+ lifetime), and the Vita has only had 13 of those in its lifespan.

Also, I'd agree with you if not for the fact that it sold 70% of its shipment first week. Pretty good, but nothing mindblowing that makes me think it will sell 500k more copies.

DaBoss

How about stopping hating other peoples opinions? Right now there just isn´t any software announced that looks likely to sell 600k units on PSV in Japan, deal with it.

I'm pretty sure ohlawd was joking. :p

I also think it would be pretty hard for a game to have an attach ratio of 50%. :p

I was talking more in terms of relevant-selling games (which I'd say is 50k+ lifetime), and the Vita has only had 13 of those in its lifespan.

Also, I'd agree with you if not for the fact that it sold 70% of its shipment first week. Pretty good, but nothing mindblowing that makes me think it will sell 500k more copies.

70% sell-through was for the first day of the limited edition SS.

Spiegel

its worth noting the original monster hunter portable launched during the holidays so that wouldnt have done its legs any harm, worth noting for those that think SS could follow a similar path

Yeah, and after the holidays it did even better (low 30s in December vs high 30s in February). Maybe there was a stock problem?

I sincerely hope that no one is expecting Soul Sacrifice to follow a similar path.

ohlawd

How about you stop hating other peoples opinions? Right now there just isn´t any software announced that looks likely to sell 600k units on PSV in Japan, deal with it.

oh shit lol that was sarcasm.

if you ever read this Wynebeck, I know how you feel now :(

I'm pretty sure ohlawd was joking. :p

I also think it would be pretty hard for a game to have an attach ratio of 50%. :p

thank you man.

I got your back next time :p

Maedhros

I was talking more in terms of relevant-selling games (which I'd say is 50k+ lifetime), and the Vita has only had 13 of those in its lifespan.

70% of the special edition.

Top Bottom