• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

L~A

is 200K spread over 10+games seen as good?

We're talking of retro games à la Virtual Console, audience for those is generally limited (especially on a console that launched two months ago). It's not really mindblowing, but it's still good.

Looking at the official website, it looks like Nintendo still hasn't discontinued the OG 3DS (though it's hidden in a corner of the website, and you have to be looking for it to even find it)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/3ds/lineup/index.html

Gonna assume it'll be officially discontinued when the N2DSXL is launched, especially since they're both priced in the same range (14 286 Yen for OG 3DS, 14 980 Yen for the N2DSXL).

BriBri

Multiplatform would have made sense, but Eurogamer Guy wasn't super confident for no reason. It's not Laura Kate Dale or Emily Rogers. He doesn't share just any rumor. If he says it's a Switch exclusive, I believe it.

Plus he knows a parasite when he sees one :D

Okay, only I got that one.

On topic: the Bamco Welcome Price!! range are officially confirmed for 1 June with Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble +, Ridge Racer 3D and Tales of the Abyss. Attack on Titan original is coming out that day too.

Expecting another Happy Price Selection from Nintendo for Q3.

zeromcd73

On topic: the Bamco Welcome Price!! range are officially confirmed for 1 June with Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble +, Ridge Racer 3D and Tales of the Abyss. Attack on Titan original is coming out that day too.

Tales of Berseria too!

Abyss? Finally.

... But too late now lol.

Turrican3

3) And here's the third element to consider when the Wii situation is judged: to be perfectly honest, it wasn't a completely third-party friendly market. It needs to be said that Wii still saw some third party successes in its lifespan, even in its early years (probably, the biggest ones in Japan in 2007 were Dragon Quest Heroes and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, with Dragon Ball Z: BT3 and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Wii on a lower level), but it never reached a level of general third party sales that convinced all third parties to put their effort in supporting the platform, in particular for most "core" games / non-mainstream franchises.
Except, you know, the Wii had what I'd call a very successful RE4 port, for example. Hell, IIRC even CoD 3 at launch did well. There was a lot of buzz around that white little thing, and many core gamers were on board, so to speak. And they were hungry for software, as well.

That's why we went nuts when Capcom announced Umbrella Chronicles and the like (a similar thing happened when EA decided to bring the Dead Space franchise to the platform...) instead of a more core oriented title.

I'm *still* 100% convinced many third party publishers left a lot of money on the table.
If you haven't already read it, have a look at THIS for example when they talk about the Wii and a "what would have happened if" scenario.

CANLI

Still have to buy 2-3 Neo Geo games but Zelda is taking all my time. Being concentrated at the game and will buy them after that.

Told you it'd be Kirby week.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

Nintendo 3DS

(B) 01. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo) [25.4.2012] (was on sale that week)
(+4) 02. Cube Creator DX (Arc System Works) [27.4.2017]
(-2) 03. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Nintendo) [20.4.2017]
(-1) 04. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(N) 05. Neko Atsume (Hit Point) [26.4.2017]
(B) 06. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [15.2.2012] (was on sale that week)
(-3) 07. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [06.4.2017]
(-6) 08. Monster Hunter XX (Capcom) [18.3.2017]
(B) 09. Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [07.6.2011] (was on sale that week)
(B) 10. Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo) [28.4.2016] (was on sale that week)

Wii U

(+9) 01. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013] (was on sale that week)
(B) 02. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [19.8.2015] (was on sale that week)
(B) 03. Kirby's Adventure Wii / Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Nintendo, Wii Download) [28.1.2015] (was on sale that week)
(B) 04. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [03.4.2014] (was on sale that week)
(B) 05. Kirby: Mouse Attack / Kirby: Squeak Squad (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [09.9.2015] (was on sale that week)
(B) 06. Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [17.4.2013] (was on sale that week)
(B) 07. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [08.5.2013] (was on sale that week)
(-7) 08. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-7) 09. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(-2) 10. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [02.9.2015]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/adfeac07-2bab-11e7-8f53-063b7ac45a6d.html

ACA NeoGeo Series: +200k downloads worldwide on Switch.

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status/859318019851288576

that Kirby domination. beautiful to see.

Eolz

I seem to recall people saying it won't happen until early next week, and we'll have 2 updates next week.

I also seem to recall someone saying Dengeki might release numbers this week though.

Someone more knowledgeable on these things can correct me now though!

So we're going towards a 50 page thread about MonHun and UE4 games? ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Assuming MK8 and Switch hardware are in the range we all expect, I would be shocked if we didn't get some sort of leak or statement tomorrow.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Except, you know, the Wii had what I'd call a very successful RE4 port, for example. Hell, IIRC even CoD 3 at launch did well. There was a lot of buzz around that white little thing, and many core gamers were on board, so to speak. And they were hungry for software, as well.

That's why we went nuts when Capcom announced Umbrella Chronicles and the like (a similar thing happened when EA decided to bring the Dead Space franchise to the platform...) instead of a more core oriented title.

I'm *still* 100% convinced many third party publishers left a lot of money on the table.
If you haven't already read it, have a look at THIS for example when they talk about the Wii and a "what would have happened if" scenario.

I was strictly speaking of Japan: in the West, the situation was different, with much bigger investment on PS3 and 360 from major Western third parties but also healthier overall third party sales on Wii, with core oriented games selling as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Check last year's thread, it will be the same this year.

Subscribers will get the numbers on Wednesday, if we are lucky the blog will leak MK8DX and Switch numbers.

Otherwise gamer.ne.jp will post top 30 later and Media Create will update the site on Friday.

goldage

Banned
i fully expect pokemon stars to be a twin version rather than straight multiplatform between 3ds/switch so it ends up being a semi-sequel

similar to one of those mystery dungeons that had a different version for gba/ds iirc, or one of those battlenetwork megaman games

eclipse/stars makes sense

only thing i see this from happening this year for the switch and stays 3ds exclusive is if nintendo thinks they have enough software to carry the switch that maintains the momentum but the pattern seems to be them wanting to push as many of their aaa games asap so that they can focus on new ip's and reviving older franchises from next year and beyond

the existence of the 2ds xl also takes away the chance of a switch version

about capcom's 2.75m expectations, maybe they will release a MH4 port instead of MHXXX? that makes more sense and is less prone to franchise saturation

we also have to keep in mind, MHXX only slightly underperformed on the 3ds which has also seen many iterations, this will be the first for the switch, so whichever MH they choose to port will sell relatively well, replicating mh3g success on 3ds isn't impossible and aligns well with their forecast

think pokemon stars, mk8d, minecraft etc etc, the mere existence of those games on switch is enough since switch is the biggest system seller here not the other way around

casiopao

I am so bored.

Question: Why is Forwardworks taking so long to announce an exact release date for Everybody's golf on mobile?

It still has a release period of Spring 2017, either it comes out before the end of May or before the June Solstice.

Their Twitter account is still inactive since its creation in 2016. (Assuming it is their official account.)

And they haven't updated their homepage since December.

The company in trouble i guess? or there have been some delay in the game release? Or the worst the game had been delayed?

Is there no news from Japanese gamer spies? Who knows some can check their office lol.^^

L~A

Holidays don't fall on the same days this year. Friday is a public holiday, so I doubt we'll get anything from Media Create on that day.

Famitsu doesn't have a notice on their website (unlike 4Gamer), so we may be getting numbers from them today (and they've been posting articles today, so who knows).

Passose

Banned
Holidays don't fall on the same days this year. Friday is a public holiday, so I doubt we'll get anything from Media Create on that day.

Famitsu doesn't have a notice on their website (unlike 4Gamer), so we may be getting numbers from them today (and they've been posting articles today, so who knows).
Have Media Creates and Famitsu ever releasing sales charts during holidays in the past?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well it is not that we are seeing a million sales debut, so I don't expect any exception to the holiday rule

No PR from Nintendo Japan (nor Europe) makes me suppose that he US market reacted more strongly than the others to this Deluxe port

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's an Everybody's Golf game. The new normal is for it to be delayed at least 2+ years.

I wonder if they've decided to release the mobile app more in proximity of the PS4 game.

No hints of any kind from the blog yet?

jonno394

Well it is not that we are seeing a million sales debut, so I don't expect any exception to the holiday rule

No PR from Nintendo Japan (nor Europe) makes me suppose that he US market reacted more strongly than the others to this Deluxe port

I think it definitely did 1m WW in April. 459K in USA for Day 1 (who knows what it sold days 2-3), 70K+ in UK which is the bigger than MK7 and bigger than MK8), figures in France and Germany likely should match that, so a 250K launch in Japan and the RoW sales should see it topping out over 1m.

Passose

Banned
I think it definitely did 1m WW in April. 459K in USA for Day 1 (who knows what it sold days 2-3), 70K+ in UK which is the bigger than MK7 and bigger than MK8), figures in France and Germany likely should match that, so a 250K launch in Japan and the RoW sales should see it topping out over 1m.
ZhugeEx said that it was one of a few games that were sold more than one million worldwide in april so errr....

Turrican3

I was strictly speaking of Japan: in the West, the situation was different, with much bigger investment on PS3 and 360 from major Western third parties but also healthier overall third party sales on Wii, with core oriented games selling as well.
Fair enough, guess I'm still salty about the wasted potential of a platform I absolutely loved.

Ciao!

L~A

Well, it's not like there's any Switch game that could reach 1m FW this year, except maybe Splatoon 2 (but it's too early to say anyway, so useless to speculate on that now. That would be one hell of a jump) or the infamous Pokémon Stars (again, too early to say...... well, getting an announcement would be a good start ;)).

Speaking of million-sellers, what was the first 3DS game to sell 1m FW? NSMB2, no?

Fake edit: looks like it was Monster Hunter 4, in 2013.

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/nintendo-3ds

Well, it's not like there's any Switch game that could reach 1m FW this year, except maybe Splatoon 2

I think MK8D has a chance, the original sold ~900k in the same timeframe and the base could/should be larger than the Wii U's was at the end of that period.

Top Bottom