• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2013 (Apr 22 - Apr 28)

I think it's mainly that many Japanese publishers are set up to work on one SKU and a Wii U port, while not extremely expensive would require more hands that Japanese publishers do not want to pay for in the current climate. Japan seems very content to stay using smaller teams whenever possible and there actually are multiple middle tier publishers there because of handheld dominance. Everyone seems to be trying to cut costs wherever possible these days.

First question we need to ask is what would be the gain for publishers to do port ?
Repeating NGS3 "success" and <10k sales first week?

Tomodachi has sold more than NSMB2 on digital! Like wow! Let me caps lock that WOW!

I daresay that was quite predictable; just like Animal crossing it's a game that many people want to have installed on their 3DS, besides iirc there was some kind of discount going for digital version.

And so does everything else ported to Wii U in Japan.So the business incentive to actually make multiplatform games for it is rather minimal.

How many multi we had, though? Software is selling bad, true, but did you expect big numbers from late ports like Hokuno ho Ken Musou, or games that originally sold bad as well, like Ninja Gaiden? As far as I know, some launch titles didn't even perform so bad, compared to hardware sales.

First question we need to ask is what would be the gain for publishers to do port ?
Repeating NGS3 "success" and <10k sales first week?
So what do publishers gain on Vita ports, when NGS games do <10k sales there as well first week?

And so does everything else ported to Wii U in Japan.So the business incentive to actually make multiplatform games for it is rather minimal.
Except for Monster Hunter. :)

Takao

Banned
Those Climax Heroes games were low budget cash-ins. The Wii games were just up-rezzed ports of the PSP games. Wii only had one exclusive game and that one was technically just an expansion. I'm confident in saying that the only reason Bamco ported the games to Wii was because they were low budget and Wii has the highest install base. Battride War not being for Wii U is probably because 1. it's most likely not a low budget game and 2. unlike the Wii, Wii U doesn't have the highest install base.

Capcom was probably also banking on Wii's install base for Sengoku Basara 3 as well. Of course, they smartened up and made an up-rezzed version for PS3.

This looks pretty low-budget:

GJfHStq.jpg

It looks like someone put lipstick on a PS2 game or something.

Looking at the (late) Wii U ports last year (2-4 weeks for U sales in these cases) from MC 2012 Top 1000:

Assassin's Creed III
PS3: 111,609
X360: 12,175
WiiU: 7,278

Batman: Arkham City
PS3: 24,463
WiiU: 4,751
X360: 4,059 (2011)

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (dubbed)
PS3: 71,971
WiiU: 8,720
360: 6,166

FIFA Soccer 13
PS3: 59,801
PSV: 10,128
PSP: 9,678
WiiU: 5,761
X360: 4,854

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
3DS: 1,587,566
WiiU: 159,406

Ninja Gaiden 3
PS3: 47,476
WiiU: 7,977
X360: 5,932

Sangokushi 12
PS3: 30,907
WiiU: 3,995

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
PS3: 102,414
WiiiU: 11,666
X360: 6,721

Warriors Orochi 3
PS3: 384,088
PSP: 64,104
WiiU: 16,094
X360: 4,191

Uh.. Monster hunter isn't setting the wiki on fire.
Capcom's happy with sales anyway, it's a bit over 200k now iirc. I bet Wii U gets a MH4 port too.

A: "No, your platform is failing more."
B: "No, your platform is failing more."

"Look at how much my port sold"

"Why does everyone hate platform?!!!"

Someone in Vita thread once asked if there's 3DS equivalent - he was linked to MC thread ;)

Hahahahaha that's so funny and witty! I couldn't imagine why Vita or Wii U owners wouldn't like being in this thread. I'm just flabbergasted and laughing soooo hard right now. Your smilies in every post just brighten my day =) ;) ;( ^_^

DrWong

That's how I see it.

That's how I see most of us here. Yes, even YOU, and YOU, the ones calling the others, and "vice versa". It's just that some are better at arguing, more subtle and with even interesting reasoning while others are just raging, or celebrating because the others are raging.

The difference is more about mature fanboys and immature fanboys.

DaBoss

I mean when Planet X has already been destroyed, with just one tiny part still intact. :lol

wi9vHmW.png

That's how I see most of us here. Yes, even YOU, and YOU, the ones calling the others, and "vice versa". It's just that some are better at arguing, more subtle and with even interesting reasoning while others are just raging, or celebrating because the others are raging.

The difference is more about mature fanboys and immature fanboys.

See here's the thing, I don't see any reasonable reason as to why one would attempt to "put down" another platform because another one is doing poorly or celebrate because one platform is doing poorly. There are snide remarks going back and forth. It would be nice to at least have that shit out of sales threads.

Since the Vita comparison is going, here's it's own launch year performance for late ports from the MC 2011 Top 1000:

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
PS3: 45,530
PSV: 15,179
X360: 6,128

Disgaea 3
PS3: 101,806 (2008)
PSV: 36,870

Dream Club Zero
X360: 32,284
PSV: 18,374

F1 2011
PS3: 45,659
PSV: 4,049

Lord of Apocalypse (simultaneous release)
PSV: 50,767
PSP: 38,705

Shin Kamatachi no Yoru (simultaneous release)
PS3: 54,977
PSV: 25,525

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
PS3: 32,982
PSV: 12,020
360: 5,451

Virtua Tennis 4
PS3: 19,269
PSV: 9,249

Capcom's happy with sales anyway, it's a bit over 200k now iirc. I bet Wii U gets a MH4 port too.
Capcom once stated that the only reason the HD ports exist is to release MH in the console-dominated western markets (don't ask me for a source because I forgot where). If MH4 is coming out in the West, expect a Wii U version.

Capcom once stated that the only reason the HD ports exist is to release MH in the console-dominated western markets (don't ask me for a source because I forgot where). If MH4 is coming out in the West, expect a Wii U version.
Given MH3U did reasonably well for itself overseas, I think MH4 is definitely coming. Probably spring 2014-ish.

Looking at the (late) Wii U ports last year (2-4 weeks for U sales in these cases) from MC 2012 Top 1000:

Assassin's Creed III
PS3: 111,609
X360: 12,175
WiiU: 7,278

Batman: Arkham City
PS3: 24,463
WiiU: 4,751
X360: 4,059 (2011)

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (dubbed)
PS3: 71,971
WiiU: 8,720
360: 6,166

FIFA Soccer 13
PS3: 59,801
PSV: 10,128
PSP: 9,678
WiiU: 5,761
X360: 4,854

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
3DS: 1,587,566
WiiU: 159,406

Ninja Gaiden 3
PS3: 47,476
WiiU: 7,977
X360: 5,932

Sangokushi 12
PS3: 30,907
WiiU: 3,995

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
PS3: 102,414
WiiiU: 11,666
X360: 6,721

Warriors Orochi 3
PS3: 384,088
PSP: 64,104
WiiU: 16,094
X360: 4,191

Those numbers should be updated, though. I remember that someone once shared all those updated LTD, and they were all higher.

I still think we won't see MH4 on consoles until the G version arrives.

I'm thinking this as well. Also MH4G should be ground-up for Wii U but still share the same design as the original as to allow the 3DS version of MH4G to have the exact same content, just on Wii U all assets are made from scratch to fit the capabilities.

DaBoss

Unless MH4 is not content-packed and does not have G-Rank difficulty, then I can see MH4G coming to the 3DS next year. And a Wii U port could be possible about 5-8 months in.

I'm thinking this as well. Also MH4G should be ground-up for Wii U but still share the same design as the original as to allow the 3DS version of MH4G to have the exact same content, just on Wii U all assets are made from scratch to fit the capabilities.

Why should it be?

Unless MH4 is not content-packed and does not have G-Rank difficulty, then I can see MH4G coming to the 3DS next year. And a Wii U port could be possible about 5-8 months in.

Why should it be?

Why not? :p

It'd be a way to have a true HD next-gen MH and still have a 3DS version that'll sell by the bucket loads. :)

Hey I can dream, can't I?

DaBoss

Why not? :p

It'd be a way to have a true HD next-gen MH and still have a 3DS version that'll sell by the bucket loads. :)

Hey I can dream, can't I?

Because it would require more effort than needed. Down-porting is a lot harder than up-porting. 3DS has a large userbase, the Wii U is not even close.

You can dream, sure, but you said "they should" as if it has to happen surely.

Because it would require more effort than needed. Down-porting is a lot harder than up-porting. 3DS has a large userbase, the Wii U is not even close.

You can dream, sure, but you said "they should" as if it has to happen surely.

No need to downport, since they can make the 3DS version of 4G from the original MH4 on 3DS.

Most often they only make like a very few amount of original monsters in G version anyway right? And only a couple of new areas IIRC as well. MH3U brings over MANY monsters from previous games and a few areas as well, I think it only had one new area for an original elder dragon.

DaBoss

No need to downport, since they can make the 3DS version of 4G from the original MH4 on 3DS.

Most often they only make like a very few amount of original monsters in G version anyway right? And only a couple of new areas IIRC as well. MH3U brings over MANY monsters from previous games and a few areas as well, I think it only had one new area for an original elder dragon.

But that would require more effort than down-porting itself.

They added lots of subspecies which are basically "new" monsters based off of regular monsters and a few original monsters in MH3U compared to the original Tri and MHP3rd.

The amount of actual new content (not counting reskins) in MH3U compared to the sum total of MH3 and MHP3 is staggeringly small. Like I think the only two original designs are Brachy and the final boss.

My pet, completely unsubstantiated theory for why MH4's textures look like ass is because of better forwards compatibility with a Wii U version. Games that have a "low performance" mode on PC as well as certain games that received a downport to worse hardware exhibit graphics like that.

DaBoss

The amount of actual new content (not counting reskins) in MH3U compared to the sum total of MH3 and MHP3 is staggeringly small. Like I think the only two original designs are Brachy and the final boss.

My pet, completely unsubstantiated theory for why MH4's textures look like ass is because of better forwards compatibility with a Wii U version. Games that have a "low performance" mode on PC as well as certain games that received a downport to worse hardware exhibit graphics like that.

I think it looks bad because of the art direction they're going with along with the larger and opener environments.

zroid

Banned
normally I'd say there's no reason they would put MH4 on Wii U instead of PS3, but there's probably enough value in 3DS/Wii U cross-play to make it worthwhile.

L Thammy

I'm not sure that the Wii U version's sales merit an HD Version of MH4. The 3DS version has sold better than the Wii U version in the US (I believe the same was stated for France?), the total US sales are similar to MH3's, and the 3DS version of MH4 is online capable already.
Cutting the Wii U SKU may just reduce cannibalization.

I feel this is what happens when the only interesting sales fight is between two nigh-comatose platforms.

On this topic. The growth of NeoGAF probably plays a huge role in this. It may only take a single person to derail a thread, and so a greater amount of users leads to a greater opportunity for someone to misunderstand what these thread are about.

I don't know the intent behind the joke referenced earlier - MC is 3DS's Vita appreciation thread - suggests that kind of misunderstanding. This thread shouldn't be about trying making one's self feel better by promoting their own interests. It should be about discussing the sales reality and figuring out what it means.

Top Bottom