• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

Luigiv

huh

we have x86 handhelds all over the place
Yeah but it'd have to be Intel Atom based, which means an Intel iGPU (which is contradictory to the rumour) and no real future upgrade path available (not to mention intel vendor prices and generally subpar performance). AMD has no real mobile solution and simply cutting down available AMD tech to fit the power profile would offer even worse performance than the Intel atom discussed above.

Zedark

e3 isnt far away and we had trinity fake rumors getting people all pumped up last year

im just gonna forget about it and watch e3 and see what they are really up to

There are rather few studios from Sony that don't have a project announced yet. It's logistically highly improbable that they'd be launching a new portable platform, unless they are going to pull a vita at the launch of the system and never in its lifetime support it whatsoever.

The funniest thing bout these rumours is that even in the absolute best case scenario I honestly can't see them matching Nintendo in the portable space. It's all well and good having the specs but 3rd parties have to actually develop for the thing. If the thing doesn't sell on it's own merit 3rd parties won't come (it's the successor to the vita after all). Sony don't have the IP's that sell in the portable space and it's developer's don't even like developing games for handhelds in the first place. And that's if it was possible to make a portable PS4.

It would just have to be a PS4

but even that seems a little far fetched unless they worked some crazy magic

Switch is a pretty powerful portable but it had to pay its dues to various places in regards to heat dissipation and battery life.

Maybe it is possible with the latest and greatest chips though i dunno

Oregano

Switch is a pretty powerful portable but it had to pay its dues to various places in regards to heat dissipation and battery life.

Spoiler:
It's not

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Basically Sony and Microsoft have a lot of support (events, promotion, software support) here since PS2/Xbox era. Nintendo HK is non-existence except in early of Wii age.

With Western games are playing more important role, Playstation is still the leader here.

At least Switch is a hot item here right now, many friends of mine have bought a new Nintendo machine since Wii. But it is likely a trendy item unless Nintendo really stands out and gives us more support in long term.

The switch seems to be the retro/hipster's console of choice. It explains why the Neo-geo games and bomberman sell so well and seems to be further enforced by third party support (Mana trilogy and SF2). Not sure how long it can maintain that image or how big that contingent even is, but I guess it's a better spot to be in than a "kid's toy" image that Nintendo seemed to have with that demographic during the 3DS gen.

I can see a portable PS4 in a few years. Until this, lol.

enishi

Yep, pretty much confirmed BS with that. No such low powered AMD architecture exists that could realistically pull this off. Rather than being a "handheld PS4", shit would actually be weaker than the Switch.

The person who brought out this rumor suggested that many X86 portable machines are available now that can run AAA games. He is likely referring to those 8" Z8300 tablet...

The switch seems to be the retro/hipster's console of choice. It explains why the Neo-geo games and bomberman sell so well and seems to be further enforced by third party support (Mana trilogy and SF2). Not sure how long it can maintain that image or how big that contingent even is, but I guess it's a better spot to be in than a "kid's toy" image that Nintendo seemed to have with that demographic during the 3DS gen.

Dont forget Dad gamers and Vita owners

Switch lets me fit in gaming where I otherwise wouldnt much like the Vita

And its a pretty good party/family gaming system with its focus on portability and local multiplayer

Hellraider

^
I'll be legit mad if Sony axe Bend Studio if their PS4 zombie game flops. they could have spent all that time making Syphon Filter for Vita.

As an aside, will MC be over or under Famitsu's Switch figures?

Spending all that time making SF only to definitely get axed after it. Wonderful alternative. :p

Nintendo should have come up with a way to store their physical games on vinyl.

Spending all that time making SF only to definitely get axed after it. Wonderful alternative. :p
At least I would have got a Syphon Filter game out of the whole endeavour.

Nintendo should have come up with a way to store their physical games on vinyl.

nope

cassette_audio.gif

Luigiv

The person who brought out this rumor suggested that many X86 portable machines are available now that can run AAA games. He is likely referring to those 8" Z8300 tablet...

Those Z8300 tablets are Intel based, which this hypothetical portable cannot be because it is stated to have "low-end version of PS4 GFX" which means it has to be married to AMD's tech. AMD doe not have any truly mobile capable tech. On the graphics side, AMD sold off their mobile GPU arm (Adreno) to Qualcomm years ago and whilst they could theoretically cut down GCN to fit mobile, I question how well it would scale down with it's subpar power and bandwidth efficiency (compared to mobile specific architechtures). On the CPU side, the closet thing AMD has is Jaguar, which... yeah... not a great choice when ARMv8 is a thing. A Cortex-A72 would slap Jaguar two ways to Tuesday on the same fabrication node and TDP.

Also Intel sucks in the mobile space too. That Z8300 has sub X360 graphics performance at max clock and it's Atom CPU cores aren't particularly great either (though they are at least better than Jaguar).

enishi

Those Z8300 tablets are Intel based, which this hypothetical portable cannot be because it is stated to have "low-end version of PS4 GFX" which means it has to be married to AMD's tech. AMD doe not have any truly mobile capable tech. On the graphics side, AMD sold off their mobile GPU arm (Adreno) to Qualcomm years ago and whilst they could theoretically cut down GCN to fit mobile, I question how well it would scale down with it's subpar power and bandwidth efficiency (compared to mobile specific architechtures). On the CPU side, the closet thing AMD has is Jaguar, which... yeah... not a great choice when ARMv8 is a thing. A Cortex-A72 would slap Jaguar two ways to Tuesday on the same fabrication node and TDP.

Also Intel sucks in the mobile space too. That Z8300 has sub X360 graphics performance at max clock and it's Atom CPU cores aren't particularly great either (though they are at least better than Jaguar).

It just shows how "the leak" is totally laughable.

Sony may have some plan on new portable, but it will not be the same as rumor suggested

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It just shows how "the leak" is totally laughable.

Sony may have some plan on new portable, but it will not be the same as rumor suggested

Yeah I don't expect that either because there's a good reason why those rumours exist. Sony isn't going to support a Vita 2, western third parties aren't going to support a Vita 2 only 3rd parties currently supporting the Vita will support a Vita 2. The red flags are all over that idea. A portable PS4 is the best chance the thing even has for support.

New Vita 2 Rumor that everyone has been waiting for!!!!

http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-5216044-1-1.html

Name is PSE, it's basically PS4 portable.

It is Nintendo Switch's rival console, and the display will be 720p!

Gameplay will be 720p 30fps/60fps, when used docked mode 900p. (dock will cost 59 dollars)

Playing 60-70gbs on handheld will be difficult so it will use compressed data from outside!

Code name is Transformacjja and developers don't need to do extra patch to run PS4 game on it!

This is just sad.

a9vg is the most miserable place for Chinese Sony fanboys. Have fun, guys.

Edit: I'm also coming from Hong Kong!

I've seen this thrown out a lot during the NPD thread but that's having the PS4 surpass the Wii to do that.

Wii peaked out in sales as mentioned in the quote on its third calendar year, if PS4 supposedly has a peak this year and ships more than 20 million worldwide, then forget seeing if it will hit 100 million worldwide at its end of life, we may as well be asking if it will surpass the PS2 lifetime sales.

Sony already launched its Slim and Pro PS4 last year, for the PS4 to peak this year means that all those AAA titles people have mentioned coming out this year would have to have mass appeal to get people to buy a PS4.

It's hard to see that when games like Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 are sequels of games already available on the PS4. How can we be so certain they'll sell to people who don't​ own a PS4 as opposed to selling to the current userbase?

Maybe price cuts during the holidays will help entice people, who knows if that will be enough to surpass 20 million.

Well I think its pretty certain PS4 will surpass Wii in hardware sales. Sony's prediction is 18 million, and iirc PS4 is YoY in US. There are still plenty of gamers who have no next gen console.

True, but don't forget GTS, Spiderman and RDR2.

casiopao

^
I'll be legit mad if Sony axe Bend Studio if their PS4 zombie game flops. they could have spent all that time making Syphon Filter for Vita.

As an aside, will MC be over or under Famitsu's Switch figures?

Lol. And after that Syphon Filter, they will also get killed ASAP by Sony?^^

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well I think its pretty certain PS4 will surpass Wii in hardware sales. Sony's prediction is 18 million, and iirc PS4 is YoY in US. There are still plenty of gamers who have no next gen console.

Yeh, no one has "next-gen" consoles. PS4 & XB1 and now Switch are all current-gen =P.

Didn't Principate post something from NPD's Mat P. saying that the Xbox One and PS4 were down YoY in 2016 compared to 2015? Given that the Pro & Slim released last year, that shows that PS4 likely already hit its peak in the US.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 19, 2017 (May 8 - May 14)

new releases

{2017.05.10}
[3DS] Mini Golf Resort _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <SPT> (Teyon Japan) (¥462)
[3DS] Galaxy Blaster |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (Cosen) (¥277)
[PS4] Lethal League _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Team Reptile) (¥1.388)

{2017.05.11}
[3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.800)
[3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death (Treasure Box) <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥12.800)
[3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Owaru Sekai to Birthday # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥4.980)
[PSV] Owaru Sekai to Birthday (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PSV] Owaru Sekai to Birthday (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥3.685)
[PSV] Starry Sky: Summer Stories <ADV> (Honeybee) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Starry Sky: Summer Stories (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Honeybee) (¥5.800)

{2017.05.12}
[NSW] Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥0)
___

YSO predictions

01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe < 50k (average 45k)
02. [3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death < 30k (average 25k)
03. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X < 20k (average 15k)

Gameplay will be 720p 30fps/60fps, when used docked mode 900p. (dock will cost 59 dollars)

Playing 60-70gbs on handheld will be difficult so it will use compressed data from outside!

Code name is Transformacjja and developers don't need to do extra patch to run PS4 game on it!

This is just sad.
DOA

NateDrake

I mean sure you could argue that but MK8D also has a 2 month head start unless your talking about launch aligned.

I'll round MK8D up to 300k for now, and say it averages 40k a week leading up to Splatoon 2 release. It'll be just around 600k then. I think Splatoon 2 will open higher than 500k and eclipse MK8D quickly.

Ōkami

1. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 107
  2. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 62
  3. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 40
  4. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 25
  5. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue - 20
  6. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax - 19
  7. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 17
  8. [3DS] Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters - 17
  9. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 16
  10. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 13
  11. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 12
  12. [PS4] The Last Guardian - 11
  13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 11
  14. [3DS] Cube Creator DX - 11
  15. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX - 10
  16. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - 10
  17. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars - 10
  18. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 9
  19. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 8
  20. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 8
Preorders
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 315
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 202
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 186
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 76
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 34
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 24
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Gundam Versus - 22
[SWI] Arms - 20
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 20
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 15
[SWI] Ultra Street Fighter II - 13
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 8
[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 7
[SWI] Seiken Densetsu Collection - 7
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
[PS4] Everybody's Golf - 7

Eolz

Has there been a release date announced for Nights of Azure 2? I remember it being delayed to a vague 2017, and I wonder if the Switch is getting it the same day...

Atreides

&#332;kami;236040637 said:
Preorders
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 315
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 202
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 186
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 76
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 34
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 24
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Gundam Versus - 22
[SWI] Arms - 20
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 20
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 15
[SWI] Ultra Street Fighter II - 13
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 8
[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 7
[SWI] Seiken Densetsu Collection - 7
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
[PS4] Everybody's Golf - 7
Splatoon 2 is getting closer and closer to have as many preorders as both versions of DQXI put together.

3DS Dragon Quest is disappointing on COMGnet, I'd think it would be doing far better than that.

People are not stupid. They are waiting for the Switch version.

This is just sad.

10 million worldwide.

Total.

ggx2ac

It won't be a surprise for PS4 to cross 100 million units over how many years it takes to do that.

Out of the three titles you mentioned, two I find questionable for having potential to help the PS4 surpass 20 million in shipments this FY.

The last Gran Turismo game came out in 2013 which means it's been four years now if GTS comes out this year.

During that time Turn 10 released 4 Forza titles from 2013 to present.

According to NPD, Forza is the biggest racing franchise of the current console gen.

It wouldn't be a surprise if racing sim fans switched to PC/Xbox due to how long it takes to get a Gran Turismo game now.

For Spiderman, there's not much information at the moment, the Batman Arkham series showed that licensed superhero games can still be successful if they're not scheduled to be tied in with movies. The only thing I can see holding it back for PS4 Hardware sales is the likelihood that it is a single player game.

It won't be a surprise for PS4 to cross 100 million units over how many years it takes to do that.

Out of the three titles you mentioned, two I find questionable for having potential to help the PS4 surpass 20 million in shipments this FY.

The last Gran Turismo game came out in 2013 which means it's been four years now if GTS comes out this year.

During that time Turn 10 released 4 Forza titles from 2013 to present.

According to NPD, Forza is the biggest racing franchise of the current console gen.

It wouldn't be a surprise if racing sim fans switched to PC/Xbox due to how long it takes to get a Gran Turismo game now.
Most of GT's sales come from Europe, IIRC, where the XB1 has no real dominion. Sport probably sell 10 million copies or so if it follows the pattern of the other games in the series. Even GT6 sold 5 or 6 million and we all remember how late that game was released on the PS3.

ggx2ac

Most of GT's sales come from Europe, IIRC, where the XB1 has no real dominion. Sport probably sell 10 million copies or so if it follows the pattern of the other games in the series. Even GT6 sold 5 or 6 million and we all remember how late that game was released on the PS3.

That will be interesting to see how it performs.

It can sell 10 million copies, that's possible indeed. Although, the premise of the subject was whether it would help push PS4 HW to surpass 20 million in shipments this FY, last fiscal year Sony shipped 20 million PS4 units but some people are convinced that PS4 hasn't reached its peak yet as we head into year 4 with Slim and Pro releasing the previous year.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 18, 2017 (May 01 - May 07)

01./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
02./02. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
03./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./05. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
05./03. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
06./06. [3DS] Pro Baseball: Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco)
07./08. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
08./11. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./09. [3DS] Mario Sports Super Stars <SPT> (Nintendo)
10./14. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
11./13. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
12./07. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
13./12. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
14./15. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
15./17. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
16./20. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
17./22. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami)
18./16. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works)
19./21. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
20./26. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 18, 2017 (May 01 - May 07)

01./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./03. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
04./06. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
05./04. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ry&#363;nosuke Naruhod&#333; <ADV> (Capcom)
06./11. [PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2 <FTG> (Arc System Works)
07./09. [PS4] Call of Duty: World War II <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
08./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./20. [3DS] Attack on Titan: Escape from Certain Death <ADV> (Koei Tecmo)
10./07. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Top Bottom