• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

Davey Cakes

I'm just going to say it, even if it makes me sad.

The most we can hope for is 15k for Wii U next week. I don't see some big leap in sales, just a minor bump.

prag16

Banned

The most we can hope for is 15k for Wii U next week. I don't see some big leap in sales, just a minor bump.

I guess it's better to set the bar low than unrealistically high, but 15k would be a shocking failure in my opinion.

TheChaos0

That platform still has a l 15million install base so yes it did have lot something to do with the platform. Everything is more to do with the game if not at launch but I don't really see Youkai watch reaching those numbers if it was on the psv for example.

The original point was that Yokai Watch proves that Japan still cares about handhelds. I'm just saying that, they are interested in games they want to play, rather than the platform itself. Yokai Watch could very well been on mobiles and it would have done very well.

Key is always the audience, rather than pure install base. Yokai Watch is on 3DS primarily because Pokemon is on 3DS, thus the likely audience is on there too.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is still set fo PS3 as well, isnt it?

FFXV and KH3 were always announced as PS4/XBONE titles.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

well, according to MC, with the release of Pikmin3 (92k) the Wii U went from 8k to 22k
This year Wii U seems as "strong" (LOL) as the last year (the YoY is similar) but MK8 should have a stronger debut than Pikmin3, so maybe we could expect something about 25k for the HW numbers.

small44

Well, then Sony should have put bigger games on the platform.

Here we talk about why Vita isn't selling that well,not it's the fault of who.
God Eater and Final Fantasy Remake surely help Vita but not enough,what Vita need now to be relevent is Exclusive Final Fantasy,Monster Hunter,Metal Gear Solid,Kingdom Hearts games

so are you saying it worked for VITA or not? That's the quote he replied to.
It help Vita for one or two week

Wii U HW rose by like 2K this week without any releases, i would be shocked if that was all it sold. Personally i'm going to say 30-40K but predictions as low as 12-15K just seem outright crazy to me.

Wtf is happening in japan?

Something that most likely will happen in other markets as time progresses. There is a reason the gaming companies are investing in streaming tech, and that is legacy hardware platforms will most likely start phasing out over the coming years. "PS5" may not exist in the same fashion as its predecessors.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you mean Metal Gear Solid 5?
I was pretty sure that it was Kingdom Hearts 3, but i'm probably mixing it up with something else (maybe i mistook a rumor as a confirmation for something). I dont think it was Metal Gear Solid 5, but that game is also coming for the PS3 indeed.

Asd202

Sony was always reliant on 3rd party and since those have mostly stopped making games for home consoles the results are what we see.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
still 100K ahead of last year... still a champion.

certainly the number speaks for itself.

but 3DS is doomed at 25K.

so are you saying it worked for VITA or not? That's the quote he replied to.

That "one" million seller makes a big difference though since selling a million in Japan is a pretty big deal.

PS3 already had a few games selling over 500K after the same time on the market and yet VITA had none. PS3 has a lot of titles selling over 500K on it although with only 1 (or 2) million sellers. VITA is looking to have a lot of titles selling 300-500K on it with only 1 or 2 500K seller.

And I'm not sure what you mean by PS3 didn't get big games that sold well. Other than Nintendo games and DQ, what big games did PS3 not get?

If you really have to draw the comparison, PSV would be a shitty version of PS3 which itself is a shitty version of PSP (only one series selling over one million on the platform).

EDIT: beaten badly

In one of the longest console generations that one million seller barely means anything. Many of Japan's more popular consoles/handhelds get million sellers within the first year As pointed out the Vita already has a 500k and it's what getting to 3 years old?

There's nothing significant about a 8 year old console have a single million sellers a few games above 500k. PS3 wasn't a AAA console in Japan not remotely. It's a testament to how little million sellers matter to more mid tier based consoles than the opposite.

RalchAC

I'm wondering if that's a viable strategy for Nintendo in the long-term; since the 3DS became a de facto upgrade path from *both* the PSP and DS, leaving the Vita by the wayside, in part due to the Monster Hunter exclusivity deal, making some smart publishing deals could perhaps have a similar effect - on a smaller scale - making the Wii U the de facto upgrade path from the PS3.

My gut says that FF15 is too big a name for PS4 (and presumably won't have a Wii U version!) for that to work, but I think putting in the work to secure Japanese developers who *do* want to stick with consoles and are perhaps a bit too small-scale for PS4 development could be a reasonable move.

Devs won't have a problem sticking to the PS4 and Sony will probably send them dev kits as a Christmas gift if necesary. About development costs, they won't rise if they don't want too. They can just keep releasing "up-scaled PS2 games" as some people call them and their fanbase will keep buying them. And having a more powerful console to work with means they don't need to optimize it as much as before.

About the first part, I don't think that will work. The biggest stuff is too big overseas (Resident Evil, MGS, Final Fantasy, KH) to become a WiiU exclusive. And the stuff that they can get isn't big enough to make that kind of transition happen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Devs won't have a problem sticking to the PS4 and Sony will probably send them dev kits as a Christmas gift if necesary. About development costs, they won't rise if they don't want too. They can just keep releasing "up-scaled PS2 games" as some people call them and their fanbase will keep buying them. And having a more powerful console to work with means they don't need to optimize it as much as before.

About the first part, I don't think that will work. The biggest stuff is too big overseas (Resident Evil, MGS, Final Fantasy, KH) to become a WiiU exclusive. And the stuff that they can get isn't big enough to make that kind of transition happen.

It's about opportunity costs. The PS4 is bombing worse than the wii u, the same console Japanese third parties avoid like a plague. Precisely which devs are in a hurry to develop for it when considering only Japan.

Metallix87

It's not an excuse, i'm just explaining why i believe Vita has poor sales
Yet when I respond to that point, you say this is a sales thread, and that talk should be kept out of here. Frankly, I disagree with that, but at the very least pick a side and stick with it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Evolution.

wwe-raw-042114-evolution-orton-tripleh-batista.jpg

not sure if it's the Evolution I wanted, but still..

Endo Punk

Sony only have themselves to blame for the PS4 lackluster sales. I find it laughable how anyone(including me) claimed that PS4 would bring back the gold era of Japanese games. Third party Japanese devs don't have the ability to to set the trend, so Sony must show them why PS4 is worth investing in but creating compelling titles that appeal to the Japanese audience. They need a new Ape Escape, Parappa, JRPG's etc. SCEJ need to get off their collective asses and pave the way for PS4 games development. We still don't bloody have an Everybody's Golf game yet!?

Bulzeeb

Here's hoping Bayonetta 2 doesn't do Wonderful 101 numbers, that would be tragic.

yeah, I liked w101 even if I haven't played it much as decided to go back to xenoblade and finally finish it but damn y just reached 100 hours play time and there seems to be no end at sight but I regret nothing.

Anyways, I might buy Bayoneta even if I am not interested on it just to give my support

Isn't it obvious MK would push WiiU past 7k lol

Who cares for the obvious or reasons??? Its a MC Neogaf thread, lol!!

Lets see by how much the MK8 helps the Wii U. If they can have some steady releases, then there is some hope for Wii U, at least GC numbers.

No HW hype in Japan, and in the US the HW hype is decreasing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any known prices for Smash Bros 3DS and WiiU?

In one of the longest console generations that one million seller barely means anything. Many of Japan's more popular consoles/handhelds get million sellers within the first year As pointed out the Vita already has a 500k and it's what getting to 3 years old?

There's nothing significant about a 8 year old console have a single million sellers a few games above 500k. PS3 wasn't a AAA console in Japan not remotely. It's a testament to how little million sellers matter to more mid tier based consoles than the opposite.
The question (same as i was wondering about) was probably more aimed towards what you said about the PS3 being a mid-tier and niche machine, sounding like you ment that the PS3 basically only saw mid-tier and niche games released on it.

zeromcd73

You might want to check amazon.jp (I can't from work) to pull a few more release dates that you're missing. Not least: Samurai Warriors 4; Dragon Age Inquisition; Watch Dogs; Murdered Soul Suspect & Thief.

Obviously, nothing there that's going to make a difference, but if we're making lists they might as well be the full thing.

Sorry, I was only listing Japanese games but I did miss Samurai Warriors 4 (which is another late port).

Been a while since sony had so much software in the top 10 but those PS4 sales really are abysmal.
Was expecting at least a slight bump for Infamous but it went down instead lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Let's not kid ourselves, WiiU will be over 30k next week easily.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Are there any known prices for Smash Bros 3DS and WiiU?

The question (same as i was wondering about) was probably more aimed towards what you said about the PS3 being a mid-tier and niche machine, sounding like you ment that the PS3 basically only saw mid-tier and niche games released on it.

No my point was that the reason the PS3 remained relevant and sold as much as it did, was because of those mid tier and niche games, not the AAA games that really didn't sell all that much. Large budget games existed on it but it wouldn't have been anywhere remotely successful without the mid tier support.

Which is why I find the argument AAA games will save the PS4 ring kind of false if AAA games didn't save the PS3 precisely why would they sell the PS4.

The only thing I can really see saving the PS4 is Japanese mid tier support, it's what "saved" the Vita, the main reason PS3 was successful as it was in Japan and in many ways what kept the PSP alive until MH came along.

Top Bottom