• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Kyoufu

It's amazing that Switch can sell so well right out of the gate and there be so much concern over the system's health.

Y'all need to be patient.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing that Switch can sell so well right out of the gate and there be so much concern over the system's health.

In fact we'll probably be laughing at our posts a year from now.
But for real, Switch isn't going anywhere, and the future of the Japanese console industry very much seems to be Switch+PS4 going forward.

I love how people who argue that the Switch can't be a 3DS replacement can never actually come up with a real reason why it won't sell like a 3DS replacement. Since it, ya know, already is doing that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I love how people who argue that the Switch can't be a 3DS replacement can never actually come up with a real reason why it won't sell like a 3DS replacement. Since it, ya know, already is doing that.
3DS wasn't exactly the definition of success for a Nintendo handheld outside Japan. The system suffered from low software adoption. Nintendo's target was a big improvement over 3DS and so far it works.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
In fact we'll probably be laughing at our posts a year from now.
But for real, Switch isn't going anywhere, and the future of the Japanese console industry very much seems to be Switch+PS4 going forward.
We will laugh about most of it 2 months from now.

Switch has been out for 5 months. 3DS sales have actually improved YOY. How is that a replacement?

MoonFrog

Well, Nintendo is doing some insane stuff on the platform right now:

BotW, Mario, XB2 in one year

and at the same time Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon, Pokken in the same year

They're setting up a wide selection of evergreen and system driving games in the very first year wrt both single-player and, more importantly, multiplayer.

If Pokemon is indeed the capstone to next year (they're saying 2018+, so we'll see), that's a good start to making year 2 really strong too, from a first party perspective.

That, said a lot of the concern is about what everyone else is going to do with Switch, where we're in a wait-and-see state with some distressing statements from the likes of Capcom.

The former combined with great hardware vision is driving the sales. The latter is causing the anxiety and they clearly co-exist, so it isn't that weird.

Just be patient with us :p.

The reason at the moment is that Nintendo themselves didn't anticipate it would sell as well as the 3DS.
Nintendo's job isn't to sell a 3DS amounts of hardware specifically. If they can find an easy way to sell more hardware and software, they'll take it.

Maybe they would have done better if they doubled down on DS and cancelled the Wii, I don't know.

Yes it was specifically stated it was a mainline game right at it's annoucement.

Dude, just stop.

GameFreak doesn't develop Pokemon spinoffs. The last one they released was back in the 90s. All their Pokemon games in recent memory have been mainline. It's pretty much all they do.
I genuinely forgot that it was confirmed to be a mainline game. Remember how the Pokemon Stars rumors basically pointed to an enhanced port or something along the lines, and I was expecting such a game. But if this is confirmed to be a brand new mainline game, then it's cool.

Denial isn't just a river in egypt.
Who is denying what?

Yes, the Pokemon is mainline. They had specified so at E3.

What defines this "handheld" switch you speak of? Will it not dock? Will it be smaller? There will be hardware updates pushing better specs in the future for sure, but at what point does the hybrid nature of the switch definitively become a "handheld" for you?
Cheaper price. Better and more 'portable' friendly design. Hardware should be able to power the same as the docked version assuming it launches at some point in 2019 or late 2018 and they have the technology for it.

With this logic, the PS3 was not the successor to the PS2.
Sony didn't release a PS2 hardware revision right when they launched the PS3.

LordKano

Guys there's absolutely no chances the NX will be a hybrid, Nintendo won't suddenly cut one of their sources of revenue. They'll likely announce multiple form factors.

The Switch is the 3DS replacement. I dunno how that is still being debated. Even if they launch a handheld only Switch it's still just another SKU. It's not a whole new system. The ecosystem is going to be identical.

Grasping at straws here.
Feel free to see it that way but 3DS is still getting games announcement, just had a brand new hardware revision and then there is this comment.

Nintendo says Switch won’t replace the 3DS

"In our view, the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Switch are going to live side-by-side," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told Wired in a recent interview. "They’re going to coexist just fine. We’ve done this before, managing two different systems."

Yet I am delusional when I point the same thing as said by Reggie.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I genuinely forgot that it was confirmed to be a mainline game. Remember how the Pokemon Stars rumors basically pointed to an enhanced port or something along the lines, and I was expecting such a game. But if this is confirmed to be a brand new mainline game, then it's cool.

Who is denying what?

Cheaper price. Better and more 'portable' friendly design. Hardware should be able to power the same as the docked version assuming it launches at some point in 2019 or late 2018 and they have the technology for it.

They released a PS1 hardware revision after the ps2

Feel free to see it that way but 3DS is still getting games announcement, just had a brand new hardware revision and then there is this comment.

Nintendo says Switch won't replace the 3DS

Of course they said the exact same thing with the DS and GBA did you see another GBA successor beyond the DS.

It's called hedging your bets with vague talk. It's Nintendo's go to strategy. Third pillar talk isn't new it's a well established code term. This a company that released a PR saying their would no hardware revision for the DS and also the 3DS, days before hardware revisions were announced for both.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Who is denying what?

So pretty much the next revision? Still would be a hybrid. I don't think it'll come till 2019, but I could see a price drop for the base switch in late 2018 if Pokemon makes the holiday.

Nintendo says Switch won't replace the 3DS

Like they have never said something like that before. "Nintendo confirmed that the Nintendo DS, its newly announced portable dual-screen gaming system, is not being created to take over the Game Boy Advance's market. The company also confirmed that a separate machine is being developed as a next-generation successor for the GBA. According to Nintendo's public relations chief Yasuhiro Minagawa, "The development of succeeding machines for the GBA and Game Cube are in the works, separately from the Nintendo DS."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-ds-not-game-boy-advances-successor/1100-6086771/

Reggie has to say that. There is no other way. He can't openly admit that they intend to twilight and kill the 3DS if it were true
which it is
can he?
Now it is all just PR speak. Okay. If even an official quote is not enough, then what's the use in dragging this discussion any further. Just leave it.

So pretty much the next revision? Still would be a hybrid. I don't think it'll come till 2019, but I could see a price drop for the base switch in late 2018 if Pokemon makes the holiday.
No Hybrid. I am talking a purely portable form factor here that has the same power as docked Switch hardware. I expect it to launch closer to Pokemon and speaking of which, if they are really making a brand new 'HD' mainline Pokemon game, there is slim chance it will be out by 2018. Game Freaks aren't exactly known for their HD game development experience after all.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
lol "Nintendo confirmed that the Nintendo DS, its newly announced portable dual-screen gaming system, is not being created to take over the Game Boy Advance's market. The company also confirmed that a separate machine is being developed as a next-generation successor for the GBA. According to Nintendo's public relations chief Yasuhiro Minagawa, "The development of succeeding machines for the GBA and Game Cube are in the works, separately from the Nintendo DS."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-ds-not-game-boy-advances-successor/1100-6086771/

Yeah they say this shit everytime

Nintendo says Switch won’t replace the 3DS

None of that means the Switch isn't the successor to the 3DS. The fact that Nintendo isn't immediately killing the 3DS just means that it's their safety net right now. The same thing happened (and they made the same comments) with the GBA and DS, as multiple people have pointed out to you.

Look at the titles on the horizon. Anything developed internally at Nintendo? No. They've moved on to the Switch. Case closed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lords of technicality.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news160106nodsredesign

Published 16/01/2006

Nintendo of Europe has told our sister site, GamesIndustry.biz, that there are no plans to unveil a redesigned version of the Nintendo DS this week - despite rumours to the contrary.

But a Nintendo spokesperson has dismissed the reports, describing them as "pure rumour and speculation."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news260106dslite

DS Lite officially announced

Published 26/01/2006

Switch is NOT a successor to 3DS in any shape or form right now. This is pretty clear if you look at the support for 3DS by Nintendo and the comments made by Reggie. You can pretend to think otherwise but the reality is different and there is no reason to deny it.

The Super Famicom wasn't the successor to the Famicom. I know this because Nintendo announced and released a number of Famicom games after its launch.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
If the Switch can keep those numbers in the next few weeks it's going to outsell the 3ds even with the pricecut.

Well, I don't think we'll be seeing 80k weekly or anything going forward, but if it could get around 50k weekly it would be a nice step up from the 20-25k that the last few weeks have been.

Regiruler

Thank you.

Seriously, thank you. I needed this shit to be entirely convinced of something I was thinking about for a while: leaving GAF for at least one year.
Well, I guess we need someone to handle the eshop sales threads for a while.

A confession: I still don't know how to read those things.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Switch is not a replacement for the 3DS currently as it's too expensive for many young children, and doesn't have enough sales volume for the absolute biggest games like Pokemon.

We've already lined up Nintendo's portable series for the platform, and I'm sure they want to address price, size, and battery life in future revisions to make the thing more accessible, but I'm trying to even understand what the pitch is for a system with a discrete hardware setup that doesn't run Switch games. Like, is the idea that it will be even more powerful and thus will have exclusives the Switch won't? The current device runs on an umodified two year old mobile SoC, so it's certainly not going to have worse hardware.

Branduil

Ōkami;245303007 said:
There won't be a handheld only Switch, just as there wasn't a gamepadless Wii U.

There wasn't a gamepad-less Wii U because it was such a complete and utter failure that it wasn't worth it.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
No Hybrid. I am talking a purely portable form factor here that has the same power as docked Switch hardware. I expect it to launch closer to Pokemon and speaking of which, if they are really making a brand new 'HD' mainline Pokemon game, there is slim chance it will be out by 2018. Game Freaks aren't exactly known for their HD game development experience after all.

I really can't see this happening. It makes little sense, given the entire draw of the Switch is its hybrid nature, for Nintendo to then release another handheld or undockable switch. A cheaper revision that doesn't crater the console's marketing message seems a lot likelier to me.

Jesus Christ Nintendo. I am never going to use their PR quotes again.

None of that means the Switch isn't the successor to the 3DS. The fact that Nintendo isn't immediately killing the 3DS just means that it's their safety net right now. The same thing happened (and they made the same comments) with the GBA and DS, as multiple people have pointed out to you.

Look at the titles on the horizon. Anything developed internally at Nintendo? No. They've moved on to the Switch. Case closed.
Where do they move on from 3DS? Wii U? Mobile? No shit they are moving to Switch. What I am talking about here though is a more cheaper, portable hardware with the same OS so essentially the same base as the Switch. This is when Nintendo will kill the 3DS. In the current hybrid form of Switch, they won't be killing the handheld so easily.

Fiendcode

Regarding Capcom support announcements here's where previous systems were 6 months in.

Nintendo DS
Mega Man Battle Network series (became 5 Double Team DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series
Viewtiful Joe DS (became Double Trouble)

PSP
DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (released)
Viewtuful Joe series (became Red Hot Rumble)
Devil May Cry series (eventually canceled)

Xbox 360
Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting
Dead Rising
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Resident Evil 5

PlayStation 3
Devil May Cry 4
Resident Evil 5
Monster Hunter 3 (eventually canceled)

Wii
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Project Treasure Island Z (Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

Nintendo 3DS
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (released)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (released)
Nazo Waku Yakata (released)
Resident Evil Revelations
Mega Man Legends 3 (eventually canceled)

PS Vita
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (released)
Street Fighter X Tekken

Wii U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (released)
Resident Evil Revelations: Unveiled Edition
Disney's DuckTales Remastered
Dungeon & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

Xbox One
Dead Rising 3 (released)
Strider (released)

PlayStation 4
Strider (released)
Deep Down (eventually canceled?)

Nintendo Switch
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (released)
Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Edition
Resident Evil Revelations Collection

A handheld-only Switch doesn't make any sense to me.

I suppose I could see a smaller Switch form factor being released with an optional dock that needs to be purchased separately though. But even that doesn't seem likely to me. I think there will always be a way to hook up a Switch the the television right out of the box. The USP of the system kind of relies on it.

Switch has been out for 5 months. 3DS sales have actually improved YOY. How is that a replacement?

As others have said this is how console generations worked. Didn't the Wii Mini launch after the Wii U?

The point is, the Switch is a portable console. It is selling in Japan like a portable console, according to Famitsu I believe it's surpassed 3DS sales launch aligned. Who cares if it's more expensive or bigger, it's getting portable type games and selling like a portable console. Nintendo has stopped all internal development on 3DS games. Game Freak is making a mainline Pokemon for it.

Now, will a cheaper revision come out at some point? Probably. But it will still be part of the Switch line which is currently replacing the Wii U and the 3DS. It's pure denial to think otherwise at this point.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jesus Christ Nintendo. I am never going to use their PR quotes again.
Yeah quoting Reggie to prove anything here probably wasn't the best idea. He is a sales guy...he will never say something that could have a negative effect on a system they are currently selling. Retailer partners that need to get rid of old hardware on stock wouldn't like it either.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I really can't see this happening. It makes little sense, given the entire draw of the Switch is its hybrid nature, for Nintendo to then release another handheld or undockable switch. A cheaper revision that doesn't crater the console's marketing message seems a lot likelier to me.

I can see Nintndo selling a dockless switch. Feels like a Nintendo thing to do. It'll just still be able to connect to docks that Nintendo already sell separately and not force families to have a new dock for each new switch sku they have.

The Switch will be fine.

When you have 3rd party's being so coy about it.It does get very concerning.

Development takes time. Third-parties did not know if the Switch would be a success. So here we are. If their games work on the platform, they'll get onboard.

Salvadora

The Switch is not a replacement for the 3DS currently as it's too expensive for many young children, and doesn't have enough sales volume for the absolute biggest games like Pokemon.

We've already lined up Nintendo's portable series for the platform, and I'm sure they want to address price, size, and battery life in future revisions to make the thing more accessible, but I'm trying to even understand what the pitch is for a system with a discrete hardware setup that doesn't run Switch games. Like, is the idea that it will be even more powerful and thus will have exclusives the Switch won't? The current device runs on an umodified two year old mobile SoC, so it's certainly not going to have worse hardware.
I think price is something they are definitely going to have to address by Pokemon.

It's considerably more expensive than any handheld they have previously had.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I can see Nintndo selling a dockless switch. Feels like a Nintendo thing to do. It'll just still be able to connect to docks that Nintendo already sell separately and not force families to have a new dock for each new switch sku they have.

Now this I could understand. A cheaper SKU that doesn't have the dock included, but still has the ability to dock (you just have to buy it separately) was one that I honestly thought would have existed at launch.

They just need to drop the dock prices if they do that though.

Top Bottom