• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Bic Camera will have Switch lotteries on Sunday again instead of Saturday and at an earlier time.

Only Splatoon bundles at most stores but comparing to last week the number of stores that will have lotteries is smaller.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In Japan? It's not impossible!

Yes it is
Actually outlook for mhxx switch points to a performance in the range of the wiiu one at best
Its pre order and hype situation is terribad

It would have been a b tier situation anyway but the way capcom handled it transformed it to a c tier product

The only hopes for it to peak are thee demo and the bundle

Zedark

Media Create provided sell-through for DQXI

3DS - 75,63% (1,50m shipment)
PS4 - 83,61% (1,15m shipment)
Right, that shows that the sell through was in fact not that disparate. Great sell through for both!

Edit: Wait, some actually think MHXX Switch has a chance at outselling MHW? No!

Chauzu

Yes it is
Actually outlook for mhxx switch points to a performance in the range of the wiiu one at best
Its pre order and hype situation is terribad

It would have been a b tier situation anyway but the way capcom handled it transformed it to a c tier product

The only hopes for it to peak are thee demo and the bundle

The way Capcom mishandles things in general, like dropping the ball on Switch and overestimating sales. Going all in on a new AAA Monster Hunter that needs to sell gangbuster in the west to make Capcom their money back. And now seeing my poor Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 only sell 30% sellthrough...

I can see Capcom potentially being in big trouble soon and in that case, I'm worried of the future of my fav series Ace Attorney. Please Capcom, don't mess up that bad!

But GAF told me the ps4 one was sold out and half of the 3ds shipment was in bargain bins!

What, people actually argued that? wtf

Aters

But GAF told me the ps4 one was sold out and half of the 3ds shipment was in bargain bins!

For a 86% sell-through, it's certainly possible that some individual stores sold out. Assume a normal distribution with standard deviation of 14%, than 13% of the stores sold out. Of course that's not enough to cause any supply issue. Also, I want to see who said 3ds shipment was in bargain bins because I think nobody said that except you in this post.

D.Lo

There was never any actual evidence, just individual store anecdotes. It was thrown around the 'sold 2 million' thread as 'proof' that it 'really would have sold a million' on PS4, wishful thinking by 'PS4 is a beast' types really. 3DS bargain bins thing is I assume just Aostia making a joke.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The way Capcom mishandles things in general, like dropping the ball on Switch and overestimating sales. Going all in on a new AAA Monster Hunter that needs to sell gangbuster in the west to make Capcom their money back. And now seeing my poor Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 only sell 30% sellthrough...

I can see Capcom potentially being in big trouble soon and in that case, I'm worried of the future of my fav series Ace Attorney. Please Capcom, don't mess up that bad!

The bargain bins is an exaggeration from my side
But yes, some user pointed at an obvious ps4 sold out and at stock issues for unsold 3ds version..

About MHXX and capcom. The only real push here seems from nintendo with the bundle, especially considering the hw supply issues we have seen so far

Nice to have this data. Some people were starting to assume too much based on Famitsu's very vague sell through brackets. Will be interesting to see how second week fares for both. There's enough stock.

Fisico

First Day Sell-through {2017.08.03}
[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.08.03} (¥5.800) - 30%

Erf, RIP Dai Gyakuten Saiban :(

Great numbers, and sellthrough for the two SKU are close enough, should clear 3M no problem in a couple of weeks.

Square-Enix released their financial results for Q1/FY2018. Overall positive results and an improvement compared to the same period on the previous fiscal year, especially Operating and Net Income. Kudos to NieR: Automata and FFXIV: Stormblood success. On the mobile front, sales keep increasing thanks to the usual games, same with the Merchandising segment.

Btw, they added slides this time detailing each segment's performance and the respective upcoming line-up/plans (they usually released a slide presentation every six months).

Consolidated results: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q1earnings.pdf

Reference Slides: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q1slides.pdf

Orgen

Sometimes reading some posts here I wonder how old are some of you... the hyperbole, hot takes, petty comments, investment in some brands, drama situations... make it looks like we're in high school or something like that :|

Anyway, good sell-through for both DQXI versions, there shouldn't be any problem selling the first shipment for both systems.

And regarding MHXX SW I already was pretty sceptic about some of the predictions thrown here. I still see the game reaching 300.000 LTD when all is said and done but barring an enormous disaster MHW should sell more than that just for the opening week so there's no debate to have here for now.

Mory Dunz

Sometimes reading some posts here I wonder how old are some of you... the hyperbole, hot takes, petty comments, investment in some brands, drama situations... make it looks like we're in high school or something like that :|

Anyway, good sell-through for both DQXI versions, there shouldn't be any problem selling the first shipment for both systems.

And regarding MHXX SW I already was pretty sceptic about some of the predictions thrown here. I still see the game reaching 300.000 LTD when all is said and done but barring an enormous disaster MHW should sell more than that just for the opening week so there's no debate to have here for now.

anybody know how comgnet compared for MH3U Wii U to MHXX?

MoonFrog

Yeah I'm pretty sure MHW bad case is limp to one million or just shy thereof, something MHXX's second release would never do. And that's the MHW bad case. It can do better than that and, absent reasons to think it'll flop--at least this far out--I think it probably will.

hiska-kun

So

Media Create

01./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 1.148.888 / NEW <75,63%> [Units shipped => 1.519.090]
02./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 950.315 / NEW <83,61%> [Units shipped => 1.136.604]

L~A

First Day Sell-through {2017.08.03}

[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.08.03} (¥5.800) - 30%

[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.03} (¥4.900) - 70%

I'd be really surprised if Capcom somehow went and overshipped a sequel to a game that underperformed.

Ok, that's a lie.

Closer than the vague Famitsu ratios would have made you believe. I wonder when each version will sell through their first shipment. Maybe 2nd week if drop isn't too hard.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Yeah man. I don't often post in MC but I read them. I know Mpl90 does care about sales and provides thorough input but he's very emotionally invested in this it isn't healthy anymore. I remember I read something in MC a month or 2 there was a long winded argument he and Vena had.

I mean, it's just sales and if no one listens or believes, ignore...

You expect it to sell more than DQ (which should level out at around 1.5-1.6mil)? You expect more than 1/5th of the PS4 base to buy MH? SE put effort into building an audience, Capcom's had their fingers up their noses all gen. Capcom has done zero work in actually fostering an audience for this.

So... how, exactly?

I'd sooner expect more than *half* the LTD of DQ, but not anywhere near it.

I understand the whole building an audience but I'm not convinced it really matters all that much for a game this size.

My logic is basically this. MH is probably the biggest 3rd party franchise in Japan outside of DQ. Unlike DQ it will be exclusive to PS4 in Japan. It's also the first time MH has really seen a jump like this in terms of production values and it seems to have been well received. The PS4 will have also moved quite a bit more HW by the time MHW releases. In reality I'm just guessing like everyone else and we won't have any idea what to expect any time soon.

I know the franchise is more handheld orientated and I'm not expecting it to sell close to those heights.

D.Lo

Yeah I'm pretty sure MHW bad case is limp to one million or just shy thereof, something MHXX's second release would never do. And that's the MHW bad case. It can do better than that and, absent reasons to think it'll flop--at least this far out--I think it probably will.
1M-2M LTD. 2M would be a knockout smash, 1M would be a pretty big failure as a project.

This assumes Capcom doesn't insanely announce MH5P for Switch before MHW's release lol.

Tratorn

My logic is basically this. MH is probably the biggest 3rd party franchise in Japan outside of DQ.

But not on home consoles.
Wii was a more successful system than PS4 and got MH3 at a time when the MH IP was near its strongest time (Portable 3rd was the next game after that and was the best-selling game of the franchise) and still sold "only" a bit over 1m copys.
Another thing that could maybe have some influence in japan: World doesn't have a number, so it could be seen as another spin-off by some people.

Ex-Psych

See you folks are saying how preposterous the idea of MHXX outselling MHW would be...

But here's the problem..

You guys are using logic.

Don't underestimate Capcom's incredible ability to mess up their franchise and make illogical decisions.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The biggest thing about world is that people in Japan could probably just wait for the switch version to come out which would have more content anyways

Mr Swine

Banned
See you folks are saying how preposterous the idea of MHXX outselling MHW would be...

But here's the problem..

Don't underestimate Capcom's incredible ability to mess up their franchise and make illogical decisions.

Nah, they have put all their eggs in the basket that PS4 is now the future home for MonHun. I think with MonHun XX Switch low sales they will say that the Monhun userbase is not there and it's on the PS4 (ecosystem)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
1M-2M LTD. 2M would be a knockout smash, 1M would be a pretty big failure as a project.

This assumes Capcom doesn't insanely announce MH5P for Switch before MHW's release lol.

2m is far from a knockout smash by Monster Hunter standards but also is far more from what someone would expect from a PS4 Monster Hunter.

sphinx

the piano man
But not on home consoles.
Wii was a more successful system than PS4 and got MH3 at a time when the MH IP was near its strongest time (Portable 3rd was the next game after that and was the best-selling game of the franchise) and still sold "only" a bit over 1m copys.
Another thing that could maybe have some influence in japan: World doesn't have a number, so it could be seen as another spin-off by some people.

yeah but historic data and facts don't count here.

PS2 and Wii might have been the most successful home consoles in history and juggernauts in terms of software sales (proved with a ton of examples of 3rd party games selling millions) but the PS4 is so amazing, so different and so unique, that it will surely make MHW sell 2 million in Japan alone.

PS4 is such an amazing piece of hardware and guaranteed gold mine for 3rd party IP series, that even japanese, who have showed time and again they really aren't fond of spending time in front of their TVs and for the most part don't give a shit about realistic graphics, will change their minds and rush to stores and buy MHW day 1 and ditch their mobiles and everything else they were doing, it will be the glorious return of the home console era in Japan.

/s

D.Lo

But here's the problem..

They have already sabotaged XX though...

2m is far from a knockout smash by Monster Hunter standards but also is far more from what someone would expect from a PS4 Monster Hunter.
Yep.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Amazon seems to have some bundles releasing on the 12th.

There's a Splatoon Bundle with a Mario Kart pack in and a Splatoon Bundle with an Arms pack in.

August 11 is national holiday (Obon festival is 13-15). You can expect another sizable shipment next week. First we must see how lower this week is.

XX would have sold better if it were not for MHW announcement IMO. XX looked like a grooming game, especially with the special edition console, a message saying 'Switch is the future of MH'. As such fans could take the opportunity to invest in a Switch and grab XX, which allows them to move their save file from the 3DS game, with the heavy implication that MH5 would be coming to Switch.

But now, Capcom have essentially said PS4 is the future of MH. It's been confirmed MHW is MH5. So XX is now a dead end for fans. If you already have a Switch and are a hardcore MH fan, you may grab it. But no way you'd get a Switch for XX now.

Capcom are super dumb for announcing MHW before XXNS was out.

PS4 is not the sole future of Monster Hunter. Capcom obviously isn't going to start talking about games that are a ways off, and y'all shouldn't expect them to. However, regardless of what Capcom says, if you honestly think that Switch won't get more MH games then you're not thinking logically. It will. Just wait.

And no, they weren't dumb. They're launching the game in early 2018, doesn't take a genius to figure out which month either. If not E3 then when we're they supposed to announce the game? Any later is too short a marketing window for a AAA game like this.

MHXX should have just released sooner for Nintendo Switch. Their MHW announcement timing was fine.

MHXX should have just released sooner for Nintendo Switch. Their MHW announcement timing was fine.

This, exactly.
Although the Switch has been supply constrained and the userbase was/is too small to generate 'MH-worthy numbers', it would've been better to release it sooner. As for the MHW announcement timing, their goal with MHW is to reach a new and wide audience. E3 is the place to be to reach that goal, especially when the rest of the Sony presentation wasn't that overwhelming (imo). Besides that PSX in December is too close to release, a reveal there wouldn't have the widespread effect as E3, because PSX is for the fans and E3 is for the media (not just gaming media, but media in general).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MHXX Switch looks like a rush job. Even the Wii U port of 3U had redone GUI assets, while this has the 3DS ones upscaled.

Oemenia

Banned
yeah but historic data and facts don't count here.

PS2 and Wii might have been the most successful home consoles in history and juggernauts in terms of software sales (proved with a ton of examples of 3rd party games selling millions) but the PS4 is so amazing, so different and so unique, that it will surely make MHW sell 2 million in Japan alone.

PS4 is such an amazing piece of hardware and guaranteed gold mine for 3rd party IP series, that even japanese, who have showed time and again they really aren't fond of spending time in front of their TVs and for the most part don't give a shit about realistic graphics, will change their minds and rush to stores and buy MHW day 1 and ditch their mobiles and everything else they were doing, it will be the glorious return of the home console era in Japan.

/s
The salt is real.

L~A

Fun fact: Capcom shared some details about MHXX, and new features found in Switch version. They list Rumble as one of them (makes sense: there's no rumble on 3DS at all)... but it's just plain ol' rumble. Couldn't even get HD Rumble, while there seems to be almost no indie games that doesn't have it. Hell, even friggin' Vroom in the Night Sky had HD Rumble at launch ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Fun fact: Capcom shared some details about MHXX, and new features found in Switch version. They list Rumble as one of them (makes sense: there's no rumble on 3DS at all)... but it's just plain ol' rumble. Couldn't even get HD Rumble, while there seems to be almost no indie games that doesn't have it. Hell, even friggin' Vroom in the Night Sky had HD Rumble at launch ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯
What other features they listed?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo pushes Splatoon bundles a lot, a 2:1 ratio or even more between these and regular SKUs is likely. I wouldn't expect significant rise at older software even at big weeks since almost every new Switch owner buys Splatoon 2 by default. At least not until install base becomes bigger and Splatoon hype slows down.
___

This week SIE had meeting with retailers for October, every PS4 physical release until then is set and known, GT will be the big title of the month.

Branduil

1 million in Japan as the worst case? It's worst case is doing something that only 2 PS4 games have done, named FF and DQ? That's awfully optimistic.

ethomaz

Banned
Square-Enix released their financial results for Q1/FY2018. Overall positive results and an improvement compared to the same period on the previous fiscal year, especially Operating and Net Income. Kudos to NieR: Automata and FFXIV: Stormblood success. On the mobile front, sales keep increasing thanks to the usual games, same with the Merchandising segment.

Btw, they added slides this time detailing each segment's performance and the respective upcoming line-up/plans (they usually released a slide presentation every six months).

Consolidated results: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q1earnings.pdf

Reference Slides: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q1slides.pdf
They shared any new updates on LT shipments + digital?

Edit - Lools like NO :(

Fun fact: Capcom shared some details about MHXX, and new features found in Switch version. They list Rumble as one of them (makes sense: there's no rumble on 3DS at all)... but it's just plain ol' rumble. Couldn't even get HD Rumble, while there seems to be almost no indie games that doesn't have it. Hell, even friggin' Vroom in the Night Sky had HD Rumble at launch ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

What a mess...

Either you support it and reward lazyness and incompetency, or you don't buy it and Capcom will consider that there is no audience for MH on switch.

Great.

What a bunch of morons...

ethomaz

Banned
Media Create

01./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 1.148.888 / NEW <75,63%> [Units shipped => 1.519.090]
02./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 950.315 / NEW <83,61%> [Units shipped => 1.136.604]
Close to 2.7m shipped day one without digital?

I wish SE could share the shipments to estimate digital sales from these data.

Edit - Ohhhhh how dumb of me... end of July enters in Q2 shipment... not Q1 :(

Top Bottom