• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm left wondering if an on time DQXI Switch release would have cannibalized the combined sales on 3DS and PS4 or been additive.

It would probably have split a similar number across 3 platforms, but maybe the Switch version could have brought in some extra sales. Not much of a difference overall

LordKano

3DS broke 23M consoles sold btw, reaching 25M probably won't happen though. That would have been an actual milestone worth celebrating.

Fularu

Banned
142k consoles sold, that's incredible for a system 6 years in its lifespan. Not only I was expecting half that number, but I also thought PS4 would overtake it. It's really a system in a different universe.
The PSP did over 300k when MHP3rd launched, 6 years into the life if the system.

Granted that was in December but I believe that's the highest single week for a system that old

Man there is a lot of faith in SE for DQXI Switch, so when do you guys expect to see this title?

Yeah saw the NicoNice press thing when we all heard it was coming but it does not count if we never seen it :p

EhoaVash

damn 3ds at 23 million still yet only 1 million sold on the system. its is dead jim

I doubt the switch version of DQ11 will make a big splash, everyone who wanted it probably already has it by now

100k switch ver

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It would probably have split a similar number across 3 platforms, but maybe the Switch version could have brought in some extra sales. Not much of a difference overall

Switch would have eaten into PS4 version if it was the same version ish but portable. No doubt about that.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Man there is a lot of faith in SE for DQXI Switch, so when do you guys expect to see this title?

Yeah saw the NicoNice press thing when we all heard it was coming but it does not count if we never seen it :p
Actual footage of the Switch version? Hopefully before the year ends

If SE plans correctly, having the Switch version launch with the rest in the west should make for some nice returns.

Eolz

Sometime this fall whenever they talk about the western release plans.
VGX at worst. Some random time in october otherwise.

Given the attach rate of DQ, its no wonder why so many big publishers have jumped ship.

Did any publisher jump ship today (or even at all)?

See my edit above, Nintendo's GB sales include GB Color which is pretty nonsense, since it had so many exclusive games.

Even if you by your own definition discount GB Color (by same definition you shouldn't count New 3DS either) GB is second best selling hardware in Japan. GB Color sold about 5.66 million units in Japan so that still leaves about 26 million for GB.

Edit. It seems Famitsu doesn't match with Nintendo shipment data (5.66 million for Color by famitsu while Nintendo shipped 9 million units to Japan). Well I guess by your own weird definition that would make 3DS second best selling hardware.

L~A

Yeah, I don't see 25m as impossible for the 3DS now that it's at 23m, with still one major holiday left. That will all depend on how hard it drops next year though, and how early Nintendo discontinues it. Sometime in 2019 is my guess.

-------------
I will be away on vacation for the next four weeks, so no graphs during those weeks. Will resume the graphs (and catch up on the data of course) after that, first wednesday of September.

No no no Zedark. I see you're unfamiliar with the way MC thread works... See, if you start making charts and all, you have to keep doing it until you draw your last breath. No break for "vacations" or anything silly like that. It's that, or insta-ban. I wouldn't risk my account over some well deserved rest, if I were you.

I'm just kidding around, just ignore me :p

Need another 3DS redesign announcement next year so GAF can loose their shit all over again...lol.

New Nintendo New 3DS XL Pro. Bring it on!

Alrus

I'm not sure why you'd think that on the second one. DQ is a bigger series than MH on consoles. Always has been. MHW has no local multiplayer what so ever.

Indeed but it was also a bigger series than FF.

As others have said (which explains the great but not insane PS4 numbers this week actually), DQ fans already had multiple games on the PS4, a previous hardware bundle and the game wasn't exclusive.

MHW will be exclusive to PS4 and the first MH game on it (I don't think they ever put Frontier on it? It wouldn't really count anyway), so I expect more fans to be buying a PS4 for the first time at that moment.

The 800k is a total shot in the dark, it might do less or more than that depending on circumstances (mostly related to content imo, if the game doesn't have a lot of monster like Tri it might hurt it).

AniHawk

i wonder if the 3ds has another million left in the tank. it's already the #3 best-selling platform in japan, but i'm wondering if it can make 24m. i think i guessed 22m overall a couple years ago. sales have been low, but fairly steady.

edit: 24m is probably easy with another pokemon and one more major holiday. 25m is the real test i suppose.

edit2: i see this is a conversation thoroughly covered. well i'll just see myself out then.

Theoretically speaking I'm wondering whether Switch hardware held better than Splatoon on account of people just wanting to get a Switch as soon as possible due to high demand, but DQ was the software "priority" for most consumers this week. Splatoon isn't going anywhere, basically, but the Switch is. I guess the question now is whether DQ or Splatoon 2 will have the better legs.

If Splatoon 2 has anywhere near the kind of legs Splatoon 1 had, it will probably be much more leggy.

JRPGs are usually a lot more front-loaded compared to other types of games, and Splatoon 2 will be one of the first things all future Switch buyers, of which there will be a lot, will look at.

30m? I don't think you know what you are talking about. Even if it gets close to 25m it will be an achievement.

Its at 23 million and tracking above last year, should hit 25 million easily first half of next year and i could see it eeking out another couple of million eventually, its got a huge library that there's no other way to play

Strings

I'm left wondering if an on time DQXI Switch release would have cannibalized the combined sales on 3DS and PS4 or been additive.

I honestly think the only difference would have been the amount of copies triple dipped, depending on what the Switch version actually is.

Anyway, completely unrelated, but Mario x Rabbids is a 2018 title in Japan... I am so fucking curious to see how that performs. It'll obviously trounce the abysmal 20.8k Colour Splash debuted at, but where do you guys see it shaking out overall?

KtSlime

I can tell you when we aren't going to see it. Now, while they are trying to sell DQXI on PS4 and 3DS. That would be a Capcom level mistake.

gtj1092

Factor in HD costs and that vastly increased revenue means squat!

I still don't know what HD cost means. Nearly every game produced outside of 3DS is in HD and their budgets vary greatly. You do realize FF7 and FF8 were some of the most expensive games ever without a single HD asset. This isn't the Wii era anymore Nintendo also makes HD games.

lyrick

Do any of the trackers show a bounce for any existing PS4 software or was this strictly a DQXI event.

Fularu

Banned
How ? The only major release left is Pokemon and it's not even a new title.
The 3DS world won't stop with the release of PUS and PUM, the hardware is up yoy, Nintendo has already stated several times that they have unnanounced games for it well into 2018. I don't see it drop like a rock since the Switch isn't 3DSable, so doing 3 million units between now and mid 2019 isn't really a stretch

D.Lo

Even if you by your own definition discount GB Color (by same definition you shouldn't count New 3DS either) GB is second best selling hardware in Japan. GB Color sold about 5.66 million units in Japan so that still leaves about 26 million for GB.
How many exclusive games does New 3DS have? One? Or DSi for that matter? GBC had over 400 exclusive retail releases and another similar number of Color enhanced cross gen games! To me it's ultra clear they were separate generations, while N3DS/DSi were positioned and marketed only as revisions, more like PS4 Pro.

And what is your source on GBC/GB Japanese numbers? The only one I have is Nintendo and they are combined.

New Nintendo New 3DS XL Pro & Knuckles.

Alrus

I still don't know what HD cost means. Nearly every game produced outside of 3DS is in HD and their budgets vary greatly. You do realize FF7 and FF8 were some of the most expensive games ever without a single HD asset. This isn't the Wii era anymore Nintendo also makes HD games.

It's a sarcastic port about "people" or "MC thread" downplaying DQXI PS4 sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Its at 23 million and tracking above last year, should hit 25 million easily first half of next year and i could see it eeking out another couple of million eventually, its got a huge library that there's no other way to play

Yeah no, 3DS will end several 100ks below last year in the end and if ti will hit 25m it won't be earlier than the end of 2018/start of 2019.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Indeed but it was also a bigger series than FF.

As others have said (which explains the great but not insane PS4 numbers this week actually), DQ fans already had multiple games on the PS4, a previous hardware bundle and the game wasn't exclusive.

MHW will be exclusive to PS4 and the first MH game on it (I don't think they ever put Frontier on it? It wouldn't really count anyway), so I expect more fans to be buying a PS4 for the first time at that moment.

They did but I'm not seeing it. MH isn't as big on consoles and home console version while it'll be big isn't going to top 90k ish consoles sold in one week. the 3DS releases of those games was in that ball park when it was new and 3DS was far cheaper and more popular than the PS4 currently is.

Zedark

No no no Zedark. I see you're unfamiliar with the way MC thread works... See, if you start making charts and all, you have to keep doing it until you draw your last breath. No break for "vacations" or anything silly like that. It's that, or insta-ban. I wouldn't risk my account over some well deserved rest, if I were you.

I'm just kidding around, just ignore me :p
tumblr_mreczsWyFw1r8nxtno1_400.gif

marmoka

Banned
The thirst for Dragon Quest was real in Japan.

Surprised with all those 3DS sold. I thought everyone in Japan already had one. And the Switch sold really well too. I was worried of going back to 20.000 per week.

Disappointed with Splatoon 2 sales. From nearly 700.000 to 100.000 is too much.

I doubt the switch version of DQ11 will make a big splash, everyone who wanted it probably already has it by now

We don't know what it is though.
If it's similar to the 3DS version but in HD, it might be a reason for DQXI PS4 owners to pick it up.
If it's similar to the PS4 version but portable, it might be a reason for DQXI 3DS owners to pick it up.

Doesn't change the fact that people shot down his prediction like it was absolutely impossible for the sale to get anywhere near 1M. Also it really depends on his definition of "OW". If he meant "opening week" then it counts the entire week, which makes his prediction spot on. If he meant "opening weekend", which is the term the movie industry used for box office, then he missed the mark but still very damn close to his prediction.

Yeah. I am sure that if he had predicted 950k for OW reactions in that thread would have been way different! He was still way closer to real figures than most here and got laughed for it back then.

Most in that thread still predicted low 1+ million LTD for it, which isn't unreasonable. All I'm saying is, it's a weird post to go back and ask for crow on considering he wasn't even technically right. The PS4 version definitely did well and exceeded many predictions from earlier this year.

damn 3ds at 23 million still yet only 1 million sold on the system. its is dead jim

100k switch ver

wait you are saying Switch DQ will not sell because people already got it on other platforms and 3DS did not sell enough?

wouldn't the reason 3DS did not sell enough be because there was another platform to choose from?

900K is a lot of software SE did the right thing although Vita should have gotten some love too lol

Alrus

They did but I'm not seeing it. MH isn't as big on consoles and home console version while it'll be big isn't going to top 90k ish consoles sold in one week. the 3DS releases of those games was in that ball park when it was new and 3DS was far cheaper and more popular than the PS4 currently is.

Well the 3DS had MH3G to build up the userbase before hand. As it released during the holidays it's a bit hard to assess how much it helped sales though.

Guess we'll see.

On that kind of install base?

100k switch ver

Until we see what it is no point even speculating.

Kyoufu

I think Monster Hunter World will sell more PS4 consoles in its OW than DQXI did. Why? Because like I said already, DQ has had multiple titles with console bundles to attract DQ fans already. This is the first time Monster Hunter is making a big splash on the system. There will be MH fans wanting to play this game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see higher PS4 units sold in its opening week.

AniHawk

We don't know what it is though.
If it's similar to the 3DS version but in HD, it might be a reason for DQXI PS4 owners to pick it up.
If it's similar to the PS4 version but portable, it might be a reason for DQXI 3DS owners to pick it up.

i kinda think it could be all three.

Zedark

The thirst for Dragon Quest was real in Japan.

Surprised with all those 3DS sold. I thought everyone in Japan already had one. And the Switch sold really well too. I was worried of going back to 200.000 per week.

If only...

So, when do we expect SE to drop the silence on DQXI Switch?
I wouldn't expect it in August, September at the earliest (so PS4 and 3DS can sell their all before SE comes for your triple dip money).

D.Lo

Most in that thread still predicted low 1+ million LTD for it, which isn't unreasonable. All I'm saying is, it's a weird post to go back and ask for crow on considering he wasn't even technically right. The PS4 version definitely did well and exceeded many predictions from earlier this year.
Exactly, the guy who 'owned' everyone was literally wrong, and the responses were mostly tempered and reasonable.

The PSP did over 300k when MHP3rd launched, 6 years into the life if the system.

Granted that was in December but I believe that's the highest single week for a system that old

The PSP also had a weird lifespan. So did the PS3 for that matter. MHP3rd was the culmination of everything the system was building towards through hardware revisions and games released.

Top Bottom