• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

casiopao

The fact that you seem to instantly associate any anime girl with lolicon is so fucking messed up. Wow.

Umm i never said everything is loli. Just that some there are loli character inside. And, i am not saying like it is a bad thing here?

Oh really please tell me how?

If a girl who acts cute and only around 7 years is not loli so what is Loli now?

Well, without further disturbing this topic. Lets just stop here. As i don't want to create more scene.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
on the plus side, Bayo1 just sold 40k more copies!

On the minus side at Platinum: "Even when we pack in 2 full games, we only get 40k?!"

But then they only got 60k for the Okami 1, 2 & 3 pack as well.

hiska-kun

sörine;131456918 said:
I'm starting to feel like it's too soon for a MK8 bundle. They should just do a big holiday advertising campaign for the game starting with the DLC release and it'll cruise past a million.

Nintendo does need a new Family Bundle for the holidays but they should throw in attractive titles that aren't doing much anymore (no need to sacrifice MK8). Maybe Mario 3D World and another casual/party title (Nintendo Land, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U again).

I agree with you. For me it's too soon to bundle Mario Kart 8. The game can still sell a lot not bundled.

They should bundle Mario 3D World and maybe Just Dance. They could give to that game a second chance for Christmas Season.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If a girl who acts cute and only around 7 years is not loli so what is Loli now?

Well, without further disturbing this topic. Lets just stop here. As i don't want to create more scene.

Lolis are sexualized young girls to appeal to people with the lolita complex (hence the name), not normal young girls.

Compare the design of Etna and Nanako and the difference should be more clear.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, after a console with a four year cycle, Microsoft launched the wildly more successful Xbox 360, so there's a precedent for going from a short cycle to big success.

Well, I suppose also 4 years sounds far better than 3 years (as others were probably saying). 3 years since launch for the release of the new console sounds too low, while 4 years, while still a bit on the low side, sounds more "normal".

Yikes I don't like seeing Vita that close to 10k. Next week should be a little better with DanganRonpa Another Episode and Sen no Kiseki II releasing. Also I believe there's a DanganRonpa themed Vita/Vita TV releasing next week as well so that should drive hardware sales somewhat.

phanphare

Banned
Well, after a console with a four year cycle, Microsoft launched the wildly more successful Xbox 360, so there's a precedent for going from a short cycle to big success.

this may seem strange but a 4-year life cycle seems a hell of a lot better than a 3-year life cycle. only a one year difference but I think it would make a world of difference in perception.

my argument was operating under the assumption that Nintendo would be hypothetically axing the Wii U after 2015. if the Wii U can last until holiday 2016 with a steady stream of games until the end I think it would do wonders for Nintendo's image.

Mory Dunz

From memory, although I could be mistaken, the Wii U's hardware and software sales are disproportionately skewed towards Japan, relative to market size.

And again from memory, so someone is welcome to correct, but so were Bayonetta 1's sales.

Shouldn't you compare game sales ratios to the LTD of the WIi U in both countries.
Does the market size really matter when it's essentially an enthusiast product at this point?

Unless I misunderstood you.

Umm i never said everything is loli. Just that some there are loli character inside. And, i am not saying like it is a bad thing here?

1. Nanako is not acting cute.

2. No thats not a loli. Thats called a child.

smh

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, I suppose also 4 years sounds far better than 3 years (as others were probably saying). 3 years since launch for the release of the new console sounds too low, while 4 years, while still a bit on the low side, sounds more "normal".

this may seem strange but a 4-year life cycle seems a hell of a lot better than a 3-year life cycle. only a one year difference but I think it would make a world of difference in perception.

my argument was operating under the assumption that Nintendo would be hypothetically axing the Wii U after 2015. if the Wii U can last until holiday 2016 with a steady stream of games until the end I think it would do wonders for Nintendo's image.

I wasn't pushing for a 3 year cycle so much as just saying that I think they can still go with an under normal cycle and be fine if they have the right product to follow it up.

That said I kind of expect the Wii U to not have games during 2016 itself (or at least many) if the next system launches that Fall, with Zelda on Wii U in Fall 2015 being the big send off a la Skyward Sword and the Wii being followed by somewhat of a blank.

AniHawk

That said I kind of expect the Wii U to not have games during 2016 itself (or at least many) if the next system launches that Fall, with Zelda on Wii U in Fall 2015 being the big send off a la Skyward Sword and the Wii being followed by somewhat of a blank.

smt x fe mang

Oregano

I wasn't pushing for a 3 year cycle so much as just saying that I think they can still go with an under normal cycle and be fine if they have the right product to follow it up.

I think it really depends how much they plan to unify handheld and console software/hardware. They need to be working on a launch lineup for the 3DS' successor anyway so if they're both handheld/console games then it's definitely feasible to have the software to back up a new launch.

Shouldn't you compare game sales ratios to the LTD of the WIi U in both countries.
Does the market size really matter when it's essentially an enthusiast product at this point?

Well for Bayo 1, PS3 Japan>360 US>360 Japan>PS3 US

And that is first week in Japan vs first month in the US

It was mentioned that Sept 15 was holiday in Japan. Make sense why it got a bumped.

Oh. That'd explain it.

I've been thinking about these million sellers in Japan. More specifically western million sellers. How many western games have sold one million in Japan? I only remember original Crash games & DKC being million seller western games. If there arent any, then what have been huge sellers in past.

It always is that Japanese dont tend to buy western games that much. Not even referencing Destiny only, almost all recent western games in general.

sörine

Banned
The general populace essentially doesn't care about the Wii U. They don't care it exists. They don't care how long it exists. I highly doubt it enters into their mind frame.

If it does, I don't particularly know why extending the stench of failed product on the market with perpetual software drought is supposed to be particularly inspiring for future purpose.
It certainly won't inspire confidence in retail and publishing partners.

Who are the prospective owners? What do they care about?
That's what should be running through Nintendo's executives' minds.
They should be working on a product towards appealing to those broader markets, as quickly as possible, and launching it when it make sense for that product.

Not simply ensuring the continued support of the last remnants of their most ardent fanbase by protracting its lifespan. Because again, if that's the extent of the market they're catering to, then it's an exercise in futility. You keep those few million people on board again next time around in 2018 after a "full" console cycle? Okay. So you have Wii U take two then.
If you want to see how cutting lifecycles short impacts future prospects (for retailers, for publishers, for consumers) look at Sega. Unless Nintendo wants to exit the console market they have to stick it out with Wii U for awhile. And even if they did want to dump it asap, they need the next thing to replace it anyway and that clearly isn't going to be ready anytime soon either.

I think 2015 will be the last year of heavy Wii U focus, in 2016 Nintendo will have QOL and maybe a new handheld to push, but we probably won't see the console successor until 2017. They'll still greenlight Wii U titles for 2016/2017 that make sense, and investment in the system won't be a total loss as their next gen platforms will absorb the architecture anyway. I think everyone agrees Wii U is a non-starter at this point, the question is just how Nintendo navigates that and what their wind down will be.

phanphare

Banned

well they have said they intend to use the Wii U's architecture going forward so I'm assuming that Wii U games will play on the next console, so they wouldn't necessarily need to go dark for a significant amount of time. hell they could even boast about early 2016 Wii U games at the release of their next console as pseudo launch titles.

crinale

I'm still skeptical about handheld/console hybrid thing, because unless some technological break-through arrives to the battery the handheld would always have significantly less processing power compared to the console, regardless of the process rule or architecture of the chip. Maybe the machine will have dual-mode? I donno...

I was talking to the idea that "all games sell better in the West" which I assume was based upon the idea of Western markets being larger in general. I.e. US sales of the Wii U are about 30% more, while the market is probably around 400% larger than the Japanese market.

And then for a game like Bayonetta, (similarly things like RE or FF could be looked at as well) based on the prior entry, the sales are also likely to be disproportionately higher.

So expectations of much higher sales for Bayonetta 2 in the West aren't really warranted.
sörine;131467532 said:
If you want to see how cutting lifecycles short impacts future prospects (for retailers, for publishers, for consumers) look at Sega. Unless Nintendo wants to exit the console market they have to stick it out with Wii U for awhile. And even if they did want to dump it asap, they need the next thing to replace it anyway and that clearly isn't going to be ready anytime soon either.

I think 2015 will be the last year of heavy Wii U focus, in 2016 Nintendo will have QOL and maybe a new handheld to push, but we probably won't see the console successor until 2017. They'll still greenlight Wii U titles for 2016/2017 that make sense, and investment in the system won't be a total loss as their next gen platforms will absorb the architecture anyway. I think everyone agrees Wii U is a non-starter at this point, the question is just how Nintendo navigates that and what their wind down will be.
To echo sentiments expressed in the most recent NPD thread, if they don't launch a new system by holiday 2016, they may as well not launch a new system.

Nirolak has already pointed out a contrary example, wherein between launch and successor announcement, the Xbox was only on the market for 43 months, and it was selling comparatively much better.

Their goal at this stage should be to launch in 2016 at the latest, if they do intend to continue contesting the home console market.

Kysen

As soon as I'm done with bayo2 I am selling my wiiu. Its future is non existent, I doubt Nintendo will take risks funding any other niche titles again.

Oregano

I'm still skeptical about handheld/console hybrid thing, because unless some technological break-through arrives to the battery the handheld would always have significantly less processing power compared to the console, regardless of the process rule or architecture of the chip. Maybe the machine will have dual-mode? I donno...

Oh I still think there will be two separate pieces of hardware. They will work like iPhone(handheld) and iPad(console). They will share OS and games but one is more powerful than the other and they both have some exclusive releases.

crinale

Oh I still think there will be two separate pieces of hardware. They will work like iPhone(handheld) and iPad(console). They will share OS and games but one is more powerful than the other and they both have some exclusive releases.

Well that makes more sense than one hardware IMO.

maxcriden

Sounds too confusing for consumers if exclusivity to devices is involved. Why not just have the same games for both and have some up-resing on the console version if needed? Maybe it could be a set-top box console with a detachable handheld (or the other way around)?

Hiltz

It does seem like consumers have already lost confidence in Wii U, including many that own it because of the generally weak software sales.

Nintendo's strategy on its reliance on releasing high quality titles for Wii U has been ineffective. None of their games have been effective enough as system-sellers. Smash Bros isn't going to be enough to drive hardware sales in the long-term like Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World before it. Even if Smash Bros does sell better to drive sales, it will be front-loaded for its launch month of release, then it will see a drop in December and an even bigger drop in January. It will still sell but not as the pacing Nintendo needs it to.

As soon as I'm done with bayo2 I am selling my wiiu. Its future is non existent, I doubt Nintendo will take risks funding any other niche titles again.

Bayonetta 2 is not what I would called niche. This isn't Sin and Punishment 2 we're talking about.

This generation has been proof that Nintendo can't seem to fully support 2 machines at a time. I see them wanting just one machine to keep things simple, and because they'd rather focus pushing and marketing one device instead of two.

Oregano

Sounds too confusing for consumers if exclusivity to devices is involved. Why not just have the same games for both and have some up-resing on the console version if needed? Maybe it could be a set-top box console with a detachable handheld (or the other way around)?

I think people underestimate consumers. There are apps that are only available on the iPad, and the practical reason is that some of Nintendo's franchises are more suited to either handheld or console.

I don't think making them both the same device would be wise either. It would raise the cost and barrier of entry.

sörine

Banned
Consumers seem to be navigating it fine on iOS, I don't see there being too much of a confusion barrier for Nintendo.

phanphare

Banned
This generation has been proof that Nintendo can't seem to fully support 2 machines at a time. I see them wanting just one machine to keep things simple, and because they'd rather focus pushing and marketing one device instead of two.

that's why the hardware will share its architecture, so they can support two pieces of hardware adequately.

I think the Wii U being what it is will make Nintendo very cautious about putting all of their eggs in one basket. they need both revenue streams.

sörine

Banned
Nintendo's issue isn't so much their own support pipeline, it's 3rd party support. If nearly every 3DS game was playable on Wii U as is Nintendo would have some breathing room and maybe not need to sink the vast majority of their manpower into the system over the next 16 months.

Nintendo can't support 2 platforms on their own but neither could anyone. Sony couldn't, Microsoft couldn't, Amazon couldn't, Apple & Google certainly couldn't.

sörine

Banned
Nirolak has already pointed out a contrary example, wherein between launch and successor announcement, the Xbox was only on the market for 43 months, and it was selling comparatively much better.

Their goal at this stage should be to launch in 2016 at the latest, if they do intend to continue contesting the home console market.
And another counter example to Xbox/360, Gamecube had a full 5 year cycle (with middling software support the final 2 years) and yet Wii broke all sales records anyway and completely reversed Nintendo's market position. There are advantages and pitfalls to both approaches, the most important thing though is that the next console is the right console. When it launches is inconsequential compared to that.

Longsword

Oh, how the mighty have fallen when so many of us get excited about 38K opening for a major AAA game in Japan. :(

Bayonetta 2: Dead
PS4: Deader
XB1: Deadest

Ah well I will do my part and get Bayonetta 2 Day One.

It must be hard for Platinum developers, at this rate the big bonus will never come. Getting a budget to make a new game every time does not do much if your big payday depends on making a commercial hit.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen when so many of us get excited about 38K opening for a major AAA game in Japan. :(

It must be hard for Platinum developers, at this rate the big bonus will never come. Getting a budget to make a new game every time does not do much if your big payday depends on making a commercial hit.

lol

Its on WiiU what did you expect. The audience is not there.

sörine

Banned
I agree with you. For me it's too soon to bundle Mari Kart 8. The game can still sell a lot not bundled.

They should bundle Mario 3D World and maybe Just Dance. They could give that game a second chance it Christmas Season.
Just Dance is a really good suggestion for pairing with SM3DW. The franchise has great casual/family appeal and it never hurts to help relations with Ubisoft.

random25

They were already paid anyway, basically it's a Nintendo loss if it bombed.

Disappointing but kind of expected since way back anyway. It still has enough time to empty that shipment (40-60% FW is fairly decent for a Wii U game anyway :p).

Aside from the doom and gloom of every other console except the 3DS, yeah 3DS just won't go down even if a new hardware has been announced. Good for it, and Smash!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
well they have said they intend to use the Wii U's architecture going forward so I'm assuming that Wii U games will play on the next console, so they wouldn't necessarily need to go dark for a significant amount of time. hell they could even boast about early 2016 Wii U games at the release of their next console as pseudo launch titles.

I think it really depends how much they plan to unify handheld and console software/hardware. They need to be working on a launch lineup for the 3DS' successor anyway so if they're both handheld/console games then it's definitely feasible to have the software to back up a new launch.

Personally I didn't read that statement as "The next handheld will be able to play Wii U games." because from a technical perspective, that's highly improbable, but rather that the hardware feature set of their next handheld will support all the hardware features found on the Wii U and more.

Like if the 4DS uses a modern SoC, it will support DX11.2 and OpenGL ES 3.0 hardware features, which means they can take their Wii U engines and port them to the handheld without huge problems. Similarly, the next console would assuredly support the same hardware features, allowing the engines used on 4DS to be used on that as well.

Currently the 3DS is an OpenGL ES 1.1 device (no programmable shaders, lots of other limitations) whereas the Wii U is a DirectX 10 tier device (programmable shaders under shader model 4, notably more flexible, but not quite as flexible as DirectX 11 tier hardware). Due to this 3DS engine technoloyg is woefully insufficient for the Wii U while Wii U technology is functionally incompatible with the 3DS.

By having the 4DS and the Wii 3 share the same hardware feature set, even if they have different hardware power, they can share the same internal engines and to an extent the same art assets (the 4DS versions would have to have lowered poly counts, but there's lots of programs to help with that) in the same way that Unreal Engine 4 can run on a modern iPhone and the PS4 or Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare can run on iOS8 devices with near console quality despite being on Frostbite 3.

Basically if they use the same hardware feature set they can take their Wii U technology and upgrade it to modern standards once, and then use that as the base for developing both 4DS and Wii 3 games, and even have the option of running them on both systems if they pare down the 4DS versions visually in a relatively automated way.

Darius

Banned
Always the same with some people. Nintendo won´t rush a new system but according to some of you Nintendo was even supposed to launch a 3DS successor in 2014 not too long ago...

The next 2 years they´ll focus on WiiU and to some extent also 3DS with some exclusive content for the revision. There´s also the QOL plattform to take care of. Among handhelds and consoles, the next gen handheld will be next in-line for a successor anyway, which won´t launch until 2017.

AniHawk

brawl didn't get much beyond the 2m mark in japan right? from the looks of it it seems that smash 4 might do that with the combined platform sales.

overall, 3ds sales are half of last year's and a bad sign of things to come, but at least software's moving. vita sales are double last year's and still bad, with almost no software in the top 20. wii u sales and ps4 sales are pretty similar with the ps4 seemingly establishing a floor of about 6k-8k for itself and the wii u around that amount (maybe 5k-8k). neither one is great.

xb1 might not get to 60k this year. it won't beat the psp or the the ps vita tv. that is extraordinarily bad. imagine every particle in your body exploding at the speed of light. that bad.

but overall things should turn around next year for the ps4 with a final fantasy, a dragon quest, a metal gear solid, and the promise of more to come. it should start selling in the 20k-30k range more regularly once software starts hitting. that said, i don't know what takes the combined install base for consoles to 10 million by the end of the generation. it's a sad sad situation over there.

Longsword

They were already paid anyway, basically it's a Nintendo loss if it bombed.

Disappointing but kind of expected since way back anyway. It still has enough time to empty that shipment (40-60% FW is fairly decent for a Wii U game anyway :p).

Aside from the doom and gloom of every other console except the 3DS, yeah 3DS just won't go down even if a new hardware has been announced. Good for it, and Smash!

Oh, absolutely the development was paid by Nintendo, but I bet a lot of money they had a royalty clause as well. Most developers hope for the big payday which is only achieved if the game sells gangbusters. I am sure Platinum thinks the same. Getting salary is nice and all, but big royalty would give them more independence and of course allow them to reward their developers.

Oh, absolutely the development was paid by Nintendo, but I bet a lot of money they had a royalty clause as well. Most developers hope for the big payday which is only achieved if the game sells gangbusters. I am sure Platinum thinks the same. Getting salary is nice and all, but big royalty would give them more independence and of course allow them to reward their developers.

I'd be surprised if platinum have ever received royalties for any of their games (except possibly MGR)

Oregano

Personally I didn't read that statement as "The next handheld will be able to play Wii U games." because from a technical perspective, that's highly improbable, but rather that the hardware feature set of their next handheld will support all the hardware features found on the Wii U on more.

Like if the 4DS uses a modern SoC, it will support DX11.2 and OpenGL ES 3.0 hardware features, which means they can take their Wii U engines and port them to the handheld without huge problems. Similarly, the next console would assuredly support the same hardware features, allowing the engines used on 4DS to be used on that as well.

Currently the 3DS is an OpenGL ES 1.1 device (no programmable shaders, lots of other limitations) whereas the Wii U is a DirectX 10 tier device (programmable shaders under shader model 4, notably more flexible, but not quite as flexible as DirectX 11 tier hardware). Due to this 3DS engine technoloyg is woefully insufficient for the Wii U while Wii U technology is functionally incompatible with the 3DS.

By having the 4DS and the Wii 3 share the same hardware feature set, even if they have different hardware power, they can share the same internal engines and to an extent the same art assets (the 4DS versions would have to have lowered poly counts, but there's lots of programs to help with that) in the same way that Unreal Engine 4 can run on a modern iPhone and the PS4 or Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare can run on iOS8 devices despite being on Frostbite 3.

I think they might (and definitely should) go further than that. I see New Super Luigi and Animal Crossing Plaza both as experiments. New Super Luigi is basically another game on top of NSMBU sold as both DLC and a budget standalone. Animal Crossing Plaza is built on New Leaf assets with some bells and whistles added to the presentation.

I think it's feasible that for their less demanding franchises such as NSMB and Animal Cross(and possibly even Mario Kart) that they release the same game on both systems with the console versions merely being enhanced graphically. Then they release expansions such as New Super Luigi where they would normally release the other version.

Basically I'm suggesting they should look to take their software pipeline from:
NSMB Handheld -> NSMB Console
To:
NSMB both -> NSMBL both

It means there are more releases for both systems(even if they share them). An added benefit of this would be if they had unified handheld/console development for third parties. As said earlier by sörine if their console got even 50% of their third party handheld releases it would benefit greatly.

EDIT: After seeing your addition I think we are fundamentally in agreement but I think they will work up from handheld rather than down from console. I still think some series such as Zelda and Xeno- will be exclusive to one or other though because they are more demanding.

Obviously the shape the product takes will be important. But channel access and any vestiges of publisher support in 2017? Any consumer mindshare? In all likelihood the system will be selling at Vita levels in the US market by that stage - and that simply isn't conducive to a new system introduction.
Always the same with some people. Nintendo won´t rush a new system but according to some of you Nintendo was even supposed to launch a 3DS successor in 2014 not too long ago...

The next 2 years they´ll focus on WiiU and to some extent also 3DS with some exclusive content for the revision. There´s also the QOL plattform to take care of. Among handhelds and consoles, the next gen handheld will be next in-line for a successor anyway, which won´t launch until 2017.
I'm sure the marketplace is waiting with bated breath. Because the world obviously moves according to Nintendo's schedule.

The system (3DS) is selling in the realm of 90k on a monthly basis in the US. 2017. Lol.
Presumably that implies 2018 on the home console front. Good luck with that.

Top Bottom