• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2014 (Jan 20 - Jan 26)

Scariest figure: the 3DS's performance one year ago this week represents 86% of this week's TOTAL hardware sales across all platforms. Can't remember if there was a big 3DS release to go along with it but that does not strike me as good news for anyone.

PS4 will improve situation a lot

Shengar

If I were a Sony Executive, I would announce a price cut within a week or two and new bundles. They need to keep the momentum right now. Itwouldn't be hard I guess with the cheaper, cost efficient SKU to cut the price.

It's all relative.

Imagine the PSV selling 80k in the US. People would go nuts.

Celebration is in order for the platform's growth, but people going nuts over 80k in the US would be foolish. There's nothing good about sales figures that low. The only thing that makes them seem worth celebrating is the even worse sales numbers before it!

Being hopeful for a better future is one thing. Calling that potential indicator "beast mode" is another.

What evidence do we have that Japan is looking forward to the PS4? (The low sales numbers of every other console are not evidence, they can be explained by many other factors.)

duckroll

I believe that is 7th right now

Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, One Piece: Pirate Warriors, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Gran Turismo 5 sold more.

I may have forgotten others.

GTA5 is way past GT5. That was a disaster in Japan. 600k tracked by Famitsu, 622k tracked by MC. GT6 isn't even going to hit 400k in Japan. Japan is done with racing simulators.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^You're right, it's off the (Vita) scale :p
I think so too, but it doesn't seem to be a common belief here. I don't think Japan is that different.
Oh my mistake, that's the PS3 version. D:

Anyway, my point still stands, it's a mirror of 2013, but to keep it up they gonna need a price cut in March.
They probably will, but I don't see why it wouldn't match 2013 sales without a price drop.

The PCH 2000 also increased sales to 60k on its own.

Mobile is truly eating 3DS' lunch. If this tendency continues, maybe Nintendo will finally realize they need a more aggressive response towards the smartphone threat.

If I were a Sony Executive, I would announce a price cut within a week or two and new bundles. They need to keep the momentum right now. Itwouldn't be hard I guess with the cheaper, cost efficient SKU to cut the price.

It's too early

01/30
Amagami (EbKore+)
Makai Senki Disgaea 4 Return
Rozen Maiden: Wechseln Sie Welt ab

02/06
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Super Heroine Chronicle: Chou Heroine Senki
Terraria

02/20
Chou no Doku: Hana no Kusari - Taishou Tsuyakoi Ibun

02/22
Doki-Doki Universe

02/27
Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts
Kagero: Darkside Princess
Ou to Maou to 7-nin no Himegimitachi: Shin Ousama Monogatari (...
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
Valhalla Knights 3 Gold

03/06
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd
Soul Sacrifice Delta

03/13
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai

03/19
J-Stars Victory Vs
Natural Doctrine

03/20
Chou Tsugitsugimono Game Neptune Re:Birth2: Sisters Generation
Sengoku Musou 4

So if price drop happens it will be on 02/27 or 03/06

To be fair, it IS dead outside of Japan and indies. The big western 3rd parties don't care anymore.

Only thing they can do in the west is releasing the Vita-2000 with a very drastic price-drop and market it heavily as a PS4 companion device. Maybe rebrand it as PSP4 or something. But even then, it won't be half as successful as the PSP.

That being said, I love my Vita, but I've just accepted it as what it is.

You could say the same thing about the 3DS though.

Bruno MB

30./23. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 2.979 / 130.673 <60-80%> (-29%)

Taiko still selling first shipment ?

First shipment was below 125k.

Launch-aligned comparison: Week 10

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.12.11} - 15.640 / 393.954
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - {2009.11.19} - 6.876 / 290.778
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 3 generations of party together! (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.12.02} - 5.874 / 182.359 (week 8)
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Definitive Edition! (Namco Bandai Games) - {2011.11.23} - 4.096 / 191.430
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Namco Bandai Games) - {2012.11.29} - 15.098 / 378.343

[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} - 2.979 / 130.673

Nice to see Vita stabilized. Should get a nice boost next week because of Disgaea 4 releasing on it.
It's not stable when it drops every week and Disgaea doesn't move hardware, especially not when the audience is already there. I predict 19k next week.

If I were a Sony Executive, I would announce a price cut within a week or two and new bundles. They need to keep the momentum right now.
On March 6 they have Miku, Soul Sacrifice and the Welcome Box bundle. This bundle makes me think a price cut is not coming in early March, but maybe in April.

dj0tzbq.jpg

RPGamer92

Banned
It's not stable when it drops every week and Disgaea doesn't move hardware, especially not when the audience is already there. I predict 19k next week.

On March 6 they have Miku, Soul Sacrifice and the Welcome Box bundle. This bundle makes me think a price cut is not coming in early March, but maybe in April.
Now that's a bundle. What's the price?

sörine

Banned
First shipment was below 125k.

Launch-aligned comparison: Week 9

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.12.11} - 15.258 / 378.314
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - {2009.11.19} - 11.455 / 283.902
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 3 generations of party together! (Namco Bandai Games) {2010.12.02} - 5.874 / 182.359 (week 8)
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Definitive Edition! (Namco Bandai Games) - {2011.11.23} - 5.051 / 187.334
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Namco Bandai Games) - {2012.11.29} - 8.809 / 363.245

[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} - 2.979 / 130.673
I wonder if we'll see Taiko on PS3/Vita next year? Maybe another 3DS entry?

Well, called it on the last thread for between 5-10k for WiiU, though that wasn't exactly a big leap. The question now becomes, does it go below 5k before Donkey Kong releases?

Ty4on

Japan IS different. Home consoles ain't that popular anymore, I doubt ps4 will change that.

It doesn't need to be a PS2 to breathe some life into the market. I know Japan prefers handhelds, but I feel like the PS3 is partly responsible. Japan bought 50% less Playstation home consoles this gen, but to a lesser extent so did the rest of the world.
I think it even went to 3k last year. The same could happen again. It probably will
The bundle was why (it stayed there for ages though). The Vita also dipped down to 3k right before the 2000.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vita needs a Monster Hunter and then it's a smooth sailing.

to the abyss?

It doesn't need to be a PS2 to breathe some life into the market. I know Japan prefers handhelds, but I feel like the PS3 is partly responsible. Japan bought 50% less Playstation home consoles this gen, but to a lesser extent so did the rest of the world.

The rest of the world also bought X360.

Kysen

Somethings been bothering me lately about the Vita game prices, why are they so damn high in Japan? Nearly every game is reasonably priced on the JP eshop(below 5k for all 1st party) but on PSN I'm looking at 6-7k yen per game.

I'm not surprised that Sega game bombed, 7k for a rhythm game is too much.

Its made even worse when to buy PSN cards its a £10 premium on the cost. Whereas buying from the eshop directly I get heavy discounts on 3DS software(Yen is weak vs the £).

liger05

These 3DS numbers should set some alarm bells ringing at Nintendo HQ.

Wii U totally irrevelant.

Vita remains the paper champion.

Top Bottom