• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2014 (Sep 29 - Oct 05)

L Thammy

Didn't they do that once with Revelations, Operation Raccoon City and RE6? All 3 released in 2012.

I believe Revelations was 2013. 6, Operation Raccoon City, and Chronicles Collection were 2012.

EDIT: Whoops, thought you meant 3 releases on one system. You're right.

Darius

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if MH and the New 3DS didn't prevent another YoY decline. Given how it's still down by 50% it'd take a monumental, lasting sales spike just to catch up.

As to the health of the console market here in the west, I'm not really worried about that.

As already stated in last weeks thread and also by Aostia in the very same page you posted, it is pretty much impossible to compensate the sales of the past 9 months. It would need to sell ~3.4million units in less than 3 months, for reference there was no system that sold that much in a period of three consecutive months, neither PS2, Wii nor NDS managed to achieve this in Japan. A further coincidential comparison and to put the number in some kind of perspective is the fact that this number would be more than PSVs current lifetime sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Capcom they want games out faster in general so predicting earlier than later is probably safer.

still no news about Level 5 World event for '14?

Sorry by conference I meant investor conference call.

At this point I'm not sure if Level 5 will hold a 2014 event.

Kirie

RF4 also sold 200k+, so that's likely the reason why Marvelous keep some of Neverland staff and funded its next project. RF5 will be a 2015 title imo.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the 2015 prediction. I'm hoping that it'll be announced by early next year, but that might be too optimistic.

Akainu

No, it's just the figure quoted by Xater. Some systems are doing poorly (Wii U, PS4, Vita) while some do well (3DS, iOS, other mobile platforms).

If you are a console centric gamer for whom the rest of the gaming world is invisible, then yes, Japan is now irrelevant. The home console market has declined massively there. If you are just looking at the market as a whole, Japan is doing quite well, with some major new players (e.g. GungHo) growing rapidly in just the last few years.

why is this conversation even happenings? i thought it was obvious he was talking about home consoles. unless i missed something.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Youkai Watch 2 is already the 14th* best selling third-party game in Japan. Its weekly sales haven't slowed down (this is the 5th consecutive week selling in the 60.000 range) and it will comfortably cross the 3 million mark by year's end. We won't know what can be its ceiling until January or February once the holiday push is gone.

Code:
[B]Top 15 Best Selling Third-Party Games: [/B]

01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 4.502.846
02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) {2009.07.11} - 4.155.855
03. [PS1] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Enix) {2000.08.26} - 3.893.293
04. [NFC] Dragon Quest III (Enix) {1988.02.10} - 3.800.000
05. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) {2004.11.27} - 3.555.469
06. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 3.530.692
07. [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) {1999.02.11} - 3.501.588
08. [PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) {1997.01.31} - 3.277.776
09. [NFC] Dragon Quest IV (Enix) {1990.02.11} - 3.100.000	
10. [SFC] Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi (Enix) {1995.12.09} - 3.081.975
11. [SFC] Street Fighter II (Capcom) {1992.06.10} - 2.880.000 
12. [SFC] Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome (Enix) {1992.09.27} - 2.790.000		
13. [PS1] Final Fantasy IX (Square) {2000.07.07} - 2.707.301
14. [B][3DS] Youkai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level 5) {2014.07.10} - 2.633.153[/B]
15. [SFC] Final Fantasy VI (Square) {1994.04.02} - 2.550.000

*Budget versions, digital sales or special re-releases aren't included.

Source: Famitsu and CESA

so it will probably enter the Top 10, right?
I do wonder if the movie will sustain it also after the Holidays

L Thammy

known for high production values. I expect them to go all in with the new gen.

I wonder. If Capcom is focusing on quicker production, doesn't it go against that line of thinking? In between statements of missing sales goals and being Capcom's third best selling title ever, I'm honestly not sure whether they want to repeat the development of that game.

We will be lucky if FFXV doesn't end up on the PlayStation 5. 2015 seems overly ambitious.

If it goes like with FFXIII next december seems to be their target.

FFXIII demo: March 2009
FFXIII release: December 2009

FFXV demo: March 2015
FFXV release: December 2015 (?)

Rounded to 8,900, slightly better than FFV.

Where did you get that number from? Garaph doesn't have a second week, only a LTD after the 3rd week. Fake edit: Found it here.

Fatal Frame 5:
8.100 / 40.576

Fatal Frame 4:
8900 / 37,869

Fatal Frame 2 Wii:
4,978 / 29,782

Fatal Frame 3:
7,396 / 54,067

Fatal Frame 2 PS2:
8,932 / 50,938

Spirit Camera:
4,100 / 20,274

Anything else was absent in the 2nd week.

RMI

Banned
Those PS4 sales are abysmal. Sad to see Bayonetta 2 at the bottom of the chart. Just sad all around.

jeremy1456

I don't think so. PS4 install base probably will be low for this launch.

You're right. The install base will most likely be smaller than the launch week sales of FFXIII by then,

It seems that FFXIII diminished the brand popularity, and so maybe they don't even need more than two million consoles in the wild to meet its ultimate sales potential.

BadWolf

I wonder. If Capcom is focusing on quicker production, doesn't it go against that line of thinking? In between statements of missing sales goals and being Capcom's third best selling title ever, I'm honestly not sure whether they want to repeat the development of that game.

Honestly, RE6 would have been a better game had it been more focused and less money was thrown at it.

I don't think so. PS4 install base probably will be low for this launch.

This will be well after Bloodborne, MGSV, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes and many other games come out though.

And they aren't going to sit on the game forever just waiting for a huge install base in Japan. The game is also very highly anticipated in the rest of the world as well.

Worldwide is questionable but holiday 2015 for Japan seems likely imo.

We only say its likely sine the demo is coming out in March and we're using 13 as a precedent. We never know with SE.

Interesting.

If FFXV makes it for 2015 as well then that will make 2015 one hell of a year.

Imagine if MGSV, RE7 and FFXV all coming out in one holiday. Dat Japanese trifiecta of next gen goodness.

casiopao

Since preorders for them have started, here's how amiibos are ranking on Amazon.co.jp, even just to get a first look at what are the most popular choices right now.

As of 14:29 GMT

Link - 17th
Kirby - 24th
Mario - 25th
Zelda - 27th
Marth - 30th
Samus - 31st
Pikachu - 35th
Kill...err Villager - 37th
Peach - 40th
Pit - 42nd
No items, Fox only, Final Destination - 46th
Captain Falcon - 47th
Yoshi - 49th
Luigi - 50th
Donkey Kong - 58th
Wii Fit Trainer - 61st
Little Mac - 64th
Diddy Kong - 67th

Kirby getting all the love it deserved.

And Sad day for Kinki no Magna considering it have been keep coming out on Ninty Direct there. Hope there will be a good mouth to mouth experience there.

sörine

Banned
And the 10 months passed haven't furthered the demise of consoles.
I'm not sure PS3 is really much worse off today than it was 10 months ago in Japan software wise. Actually is Vita any healthier today either? Looking at TGS it's demise can't that far off either, it might even share PS3's casket.

Opiate

why is this conversation even happenings? i thought it was obvious he was talking about home consoles. unless i missed something.

He said the Japanese game market is irrelevant. I don't think it's obvious to everyone that the Japanese market is fine, it's just consoles which are struggling.

Youkai Watch 2 is already the 14th* best selling third-party game in Japan. Its weekly sales haven't slowed down (this is the 5th consecutive week selling in the 60.000 range) and it will comfortably cross the 3 million mark by year's end. We won't know what can be its ceiling until January or February once the holiday push is gone.
At this rate its gonna do 4M at the least, how much more is the question.

sörine;133440341 said:
I'm not sure PS3 is really much worse off today than it was 10 months ago in Japan software wise. Actually is Vita any healthier today either? Looking at TGS it's demise can't that far off either, it might even share PS3's casket.
PS3 software down, PSP down, Vita up, chris or road posted it recently.

Kandinsky

Maybe it would be a good idea for Nintendo too keep the shipping numbers for Smash3DS low, so those starving users have to go to the WiiU one lol.

HGH

Banned
I'd have thought IFI would've been all over this since it's an early-gen Japanese game on the console with the biggest western userbase. Get in there early like all the Cross-Edge-esque rubbish stuff that released early on PS3 but sold well enough.

Thing is, there's not much other stuff on the console to say that the userbase that is there is interested in these games. Natural Doctrine & Akiba's Trip, but they're both also on PS3Vita. So I'm not sure it would sell too well.

Still, only one way to find out.

Was reading a Japanese blog last weekend (some guy somehow had insider info early, down to the exact numbers), but the consensus is that the audience for this sorta game simply isn't moving onto the PS4.
On the other hand, IF have never really sold well locally anyway. If less than 10K hits the 40-60% sellthrough point, I don't think they had that high expectations anyway. They seem to always turn a profit no matter how weak the sales. These guys are low budget super niche and they know it.
Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I weep for Bayonetta 2. To me, that game selling poorly in Japan is akin to a new open world Rockstar game selling 50K in the first week in North America.

antibolo

Banned
I weep for Bayonetta 2. To me, that game selling poorly in Japan is akin to a new open world Rockstar game selling 50K in the first week in North America.

Not really. Platinum games have never been huge sellers in Japan. And it's even worse for their Wii U exclusives. After what happened with W101 those Bayonetta 2 numbers aren't surprising.

Faustek

sörine;133440341 said:

Hmm, might just be me but I'm fairly sure general software sales where higher on PS3/V before and after Christmas, even if you ignore the usual holiday rush that is.

But yes, no matter how much I love my Vita and Japanese software it seems likely that those two might just go the way of the Dodo :(

Busaiku

Well, if it wasn't clear before, Forbidden Magna selling less than 60%, combined with its low figure, is clear evidence of a bomba.

LOCK

SSB legs are long.

Next week is going to be so fun.

New 3DS trinity forming with YW2, SSB, and MH4G?

allan-bh

This will be well after Bloodborne, MGSV, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes and many other games come out though.

And they aren't going to sit on the game forever just waiting for a huge install base in Japan. The game is also very highly anticipated in the rest of the world as well.

Its Japan, so let's forget Uncharted 4.

I don't see potential in this list to increase significantly PS4 instal base, also considering that Persona 5, DQ Heroes, Yakuza 0 and Phantom Pain are cross gen.

Unless other big tittles are schedule for 2015, PS4 install base probably will be low for a main Final Fantasy debut.

BadWolf

Unless other big tittles are schedule for 2015, PS4 install base probably will be low for a main Final Fantasy debut.

They aren't going to hold on to the game for years until the system gets a decent Japanese install base.

Final Fantasy is a global brand.

Salex_

Kind of strange to see no one even talking about the Wii U now. I remember reading before September people talking about publishers potentially moving from PS3 >Wii U due to the PS4 sales.

Curious to see how much Smash Bros 3DS affects the impact of the Wii U version and the hardware sales.
Its Japan, so let's forget Uncharted 4.

It's not as bad as you think it is.

Uncharted 3: 184k
The Last of Us: 236k

U4 will be a pretty decent filler game for the audience.
I know the numbers.

This is not a relevant system seller for Japan.

What is a system seller?

allan-bh

They aren't going to hold on to the game for years until the system gets a decent Japanese install base.

Final Fantasy is a global brand.

I know, but Japan sales are a very important piece.

And honestly the west reception for Final Fantasy XV is very uncertain at this point, after the whole Final Fantasy XIII saga fiasco.

It would need to sell ~3.4million units in less than 3 months, for reference there was no system that sold that much in a period of three consecutive months, neither PS2, Wii nor NDS managed to achieve this in Japan. A further coincidential comparison and to put the number in some kind of perspective is the fact that this number would be more than PSVs current lifetime sales.

...well, shit.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
...well, shit.

If the 3DS even reaches 3M total this year, that'd still be great, as that'd be close to doubling the year's sales, and especially if this carries over into some strong hardware momentum in 2015 (as in not too much of a decline). We'll see how the new 3DS debuts, but with Smash's and YW2's continued strong sales, along with the introduction of MH4G and Pokemon ORAS, I think it has a great shot of at least doing really well these next couple months.

In the meantime, everything else is dead T_T... Mario Kart 8 keeps trucking along to a smaller extent all things considered.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope there aren't too many unrealistic expectations on the n3DS for this year...

the strange hold of the normal models have two possible explanation.
or people can't resist to Smash, or people are not so interested or informed about the Nrevision coming

Bob White

Lister: Where is everyone Hol?
Holly: They're dead Dave.
Lister: Who is?
Holly: Everybody Dave.
Lister: What, the Wii U?
Holly: Everybody's dead Dave.
Lister: What, the PS4?
Holly: Everybody's dead Dave.
Lister: What, the XBone??
Holly: They're all dead, everybody's dead Dave.
Lister: 3DS isn't, is it?
Holly: Everybody is dead Dave.
Lister: Not the Vita?
Holly: Gorden Bennet, yes the Vita, everybody, everybody's dead Dave.
Lister: The PSP?
Holly: It's dead Dave, everybody's dead, everybody is dead Dave.
Lister: Wait, are you trying to tell me everybody's dead?

My man Dave watches good shit.

PS4 and Wii U still in the dumps. Omega Quintet bombed but that's not unexpected I think. Bayonetta 2's sales are tapering off as one would expect. Smash is showing strong legs. XB1 barely clinging to 4 digits. Maybe next week on Media Create, a couple weeks on Famitsu? 3DS sales seem fine for an impending hw refresh. Vita sales seem to have lessened. The Legend of Heroe games seem to have large drops

Mory Dunz

or people can't resist to Smash, or people are not so interested or informed about the Nrevision coming
I feel like it was smash and yokai that kept the 3ds above the teens in sales.

The ads have been prominent right? If so, the general public should know enough about it.

Or people that are buying the 3DS right now are not interested in the revision, but many people will nonetheless.

When does Driveclub launch in Japan? And I assume most people expect it to not do too well right? I'm not sure what would be good for it in Japan though. Maybe I'll dig out Motorstorm numbers or something to compare

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
When does Driveclub launch in Japan? And I assume most people expect it to not do too well right? I'm not sure what would be good for it in Japan though. Maybe I'll dig out Motorstorm numbers or something to compare

Out now in Japan.

Motorstorm numbers (by Japanltdrank, so Famitsu)

Motorstorm {2006.12.14} - 12,806 / 59,627
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift {2008.11.20} - 6,500 / 21,121
Motorstorm: Arctic Edge {2009.11.01} - 590 / 5,349

Top Bottom