• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2014 (Sep 29 - Oct 05)

From the looks of things, the peak of Monster Hunter will remain MHP3. It doesn't looks likely that Capcom will ever get there again, much like how Resident Evil 2 remains the peak of RE in Japan.

I do wonder if 4 would 've sold better had they not announced 4g so far in advance

I do wonder if 4 would 've sold better had they not announced 4g so far in advance

It was still selling 3-4k units at a reduced price, so I guess it had some 100-150k left in the tank, also thanks to holiday season. The fact is, Capcom is really maximizing sales here, since MH4G is an expansion but it might have well been a full game instead of MH4; now, Capcom is probably selling 5.5-6m units of MH4+MH4G.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
02./00. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.10.02} (¥7.179) - 84.935 / NEW <55,87%>
___

21./16. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Revolution <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.11} (¥7.689)
22./20. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800)
23./19. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.24} (¥4.936)
24./14. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264)
25./00. [XB1] Forza Horizon 2 # <RCE> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2014.10.02} (¥7.452)
26./22. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V [Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.389)
27./27. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.119)
28./29. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
29./00. [PSV] Nekketsu Inou Bukatsu: Trigger Kiss # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.10.02} (¥6.264)
30./31. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.09.04} (¥7.776)
31./28. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥6.145)
32./25. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800)
33./30. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
34./35. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
35./33. [PS3] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} (¥5.184)
36./34. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990)
37./40. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥3.024)
38./00. [PSV] DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.10.10} (¥5.229)
39./46. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)
40./36. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14} (¥7.980)
41./39. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} (¥3.908)
42./26. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax # <FTG> (Atlus) {2014.08.28} (¥7.538)
43./41. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
44./17. [PS3] Kamisama to Unmei Kakusei no Cross Thesis # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.09.25} (¥7.344)
45./42. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800)
46./18. [PSV] Bakumatsu Rock: Ultra Soul # <ADV> (Marvelous) {2014.09.25} (¥6.264)
47./45. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664)
48./43. [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.08.21} (¥6.372)
49./10. [PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Another Sky feat. Amane Gakuen # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.09.25} (¥6.264)
50./47. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
00./00. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.14} (¥6.980) - * / 243.000

Top 50

3DS - 19
PS3 - 10
PSV - 10
PS4 - 4
WIU - 4
PSP - 1
WII - 1
XB1 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    550.000 |    738.000 |    454.000 | 28.799.000 | 32.232.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.10.16}

[PSV] Chaos Ring III: Prequel Trilogy <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥5.184)
[PSV] Amnesia Later × Crowd: V Edition <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥7.020)

Tom_Cody

For first week / LTD:

64: 183,097 / 1,632,055
Melee: 357,101 / 1,349,418
Brawl: 816,198 / 2,303,103
3DS: 987,239 / 1,539,505 and counting

Might get over 64 even without digital next week.
Fascinating. It will be fun to check back on this each week.

3DS seems like a shoe-in for the best selling in the series, Wii U seems guaranteed to be the worst selling.

Fascinating. It will be fun to check back on this each week.

3DS seems like a shoe-in for the best selling in the series, Wii U seems guaranteed to be the worst selling.

By comparison, Brawl reach the 1,5m mark in its 8th week; For 3DS did it in its 4th week.

zeromcd73

New Info on the Dragon Quest PS4 console and Dragon Quest Heroes coming October 28 on Dragon Quest Heroes TV.

Horii and Shoko-tan will also be appearing.

Alrus

Speaking of Dragon Quest, have we heard anything new about the new DQ Monsters game they announced? I kinda expected them to show it at TGS...

Looks like SEGA will be re-releasing Puyo Puyo Tetris for 3DS, Vita, Wii U and PS3 on December 4th. Same day the PS4 and X1 versions are due out.

Might come with some extra stuff?
It comes with a different redeemable code for the smartphone Puyo Puyo Quest game than the original release did, that's it. Don't think they even have all the DLC included like the next gen version have.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A new version of Youkai Watch 2 is coming out December 13, titled Youkai Watch 2 Shinuchi.

sasuga Level-5.

I see they're going straight to the Inazuma Eleven 3: Ogre strategy already.

Let's see if they can accelerate this franchises' decline even faster than that one.

hiska-kun

Oh my God, Level 5. That was faster than I was expecting. lol

I think they'll release later this year (late november, maybe early december), before / same week as Smash.

So, they prefer to keep selling like shit until december... Good move for Nintendo.

zeromcd73

Nyoro SF

Did excessive releases hurt the Layton brand or did it just peter off on its own? I find it sad that as the quality of the games increased, the sales got worse...

zeromcd73

don't want no pop, no pop

don't want no tea, no tea

just gimmie dat milk. m-m-m-milk.
w800h60020140901_090937_b4afddd6d5b949eb550ca356ff0f3489jpg
Youkai Watch caramel corn milk flavoured coming right up :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
LOL at the L5 hate. I'll not repost once again my take on their cross-media and general strategy, very similar to the Cartoon/Toy market.

Busaiku

Layton did have 8 games (including Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney and Layton Bros) in 6 years, so there definitely were a lot of games.

I see they're going straight to the Inazuma Eleven 3: Ogre strategy already.

Let's see if they can accelerate this franchises' decline even faster than that one.
Seriously.
Not that we should be surprised, of course, but clearly they refuse to learn eh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, if we view children's products like popular music games (inherently possessing a decidedly limited lifespan in which you want to capitalize as much value as possible before it fades away), then I think it makes sense to treat your customer base as an infinitely elastic ATM machine because otherwise you're going to miss out on a lot of value you could have gotten.

However, given we've actually seen children's franchises like Pokemon survived incredibly long periods of time with large amounts of popularity, I feel Level 5's inability to keep their franchises going long term more so speaks to failings in their strategy than the state of the market itself.

Could it be different this time? Sure, but I'm not convinced there's an obvious impetus for why it would be.

casiopao

Well, if we view children's products like popular music games (inherently possessing a decidedly limited lifespan in which you want to capitalize as much value as possible before it fades away), then I think it makes sense to treat your customer base as an infinitely elastic ATM machine because otherwise you're going to miss out on a lot of value you could have gotten.

However, given we've actually seen children's franchises like Pokemon survived incredibly long periods of time with large amounts of popularity, I feel Level 5's inability to keep their franchises going long term more so speaks to failings in their strategy than the state of the market itself.

Could it be different this time? Sure, but I'm not convinced there's an obvious impetus for why it would be.

Considering that u are using Pokemon as a example, i don't thats fair as there are veryyyyy little franchise that actually stays strong from 90's till now here.

crinale

I've posted it before but as for Level 5 is it smart to preserve the franchise so it would become everlasting brand like Pokemon, or keep making new ones for ever 3 years or so? Because from toy maker's point of view later is preferable IMHO.

I'm not saying Level 5 is wanting to burn-out YW brand, but it seems as if they are okay with it if the brand wares out quickly.

As for third version of YW2, there are dedicated quests for this version only. And most importantly, it comes with a new medal. It is really rather smart move to release it on December. Hino surely knows what kids will demand their parents for Christmas gift.

Edit: I think the major difference is how much other company are involved in the franchise. As for Pokemon Nintendo controls everything, but YW is rather a joint-effort between L5 and Dentsu (Hino already admitted it at some interview).

Darius

Banned
And people have the nerve to defend Level-5 and their endless milking.

It´s a great move, taking advantage of Youkai Watchs high point in popularity, the holiday season and the movie. It would be just a waste to miss this opportunity. With the just recently announced 3DS revision there is even a further bonus - hardware sales will be higher in its launch phase, which always is a nice environment to launch your software.

Don´t see any convincing reason to miss all this when it comes to such a popular IP like YoukaiWatch. And there is no convincing advantage in launching the third iteration of YW2 next year, considering the possibility of an actual Youkai Watch 3 in 2015/early2016.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've posted it before but as for Level 5 is it smart to preserve the franchise so it would become everlasting brand like Pokemon, or keep making new ones for ever 3 years or so? Because from toy maker's point of view later is preferable IMHO.

I'm not saying Level 5 is wanting to burn-out YW brand, but it seems as if they are okay with it if the brand wares out quickly.

As for third version of YW2, there are dedicated quests for this version only. And most importantly, it comes with a new medal. It is really rather smart move to release it on December. Hino surely knows what kids will demand their parents for Christmas gift.

Burning out brands is fine as long as you can always successfully replace the ones you burn out, and those brands are as big or bigger than the brand you lost.

That's the gamble of the strategy. You make more money in the short term, but you need to be able to successfully follow it up each time in order to sustain your income.

L Thammy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it commonly noted that Youkai Watch's popularity comes from a wide appeal? Like Pokemon, it sells to both adults and children. I think that in itself is a good sign that the series could have longevity if treated properly.

That said, I'm kind of curious as to why milking would destroy Youkai Watch despite Pokemon still going strong. It's not like Pokemon doesn't release third versions and doesn't flood the market with weird tie-in goods. What is it about Level-5's milking method that fails?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Announcing a 3rd game two month before it's release when YW2 is selling 60k a week right now.... erm... okay.

crinale

Burning out brands is fine as long as you can always successfully replace the ones you burn out, and those brands are as big or bigger than the brand you lost.

That's the gamble of the strategy. You make more money in the short term, but you need to be able to successfully follow it up each time in order to sustain your income.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. My take is L5 is going for short-term strategy this time (again).
Their strategy looks more and more similar to Kamen Rider or Precure series, where franchise changes every 1-2 yrs and make money every time. This is more like toy maker's strategy (as pointed out by someone too), rather than Pokemon route.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it commonly noted that Youkai Watch's popularity comes from a wide appeal? Like Pokemon, it sells to both adults and children. I think that in itself is a good sign that the series could have longevity if treated properly.

I have just few anecdotal evidence but that sure isn't the case. YW is laser-sharp focus on kids under 10 yrs old.
(That may be another reason they aren't seeking to keep franchise for 10 years or longer).

Top Bottom