• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2015 (Sep 28 - Oct 04)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
For the whole year it's not probably going to sell more than in 2013. In 2013 WiiU actually had pretty good holidays and I just don't see it repeat that.

After 40 weeks:
2014 = 461,349
2013 = 422,612

At the end of the year:
2014 = 618.150
2013 = 898.143

Still considering the starting position to this year it has definitely sold more than people expected.

Wii U this holidays is not gonna sell like in 2013, but will easy beat 2014 numbers, which were pretty tragic.

I was really surprised to play a lot of Japanese players in my MGO sessions.

It shows dedicated fans are still there at console (including handhelds) gaming scene. I think it is universal among all platforms.
I know it is quite difficult to expand the fanbase but I'll stay optimistic.

Will be interesting to see if the launch of Online mode will keep the decline in sales moderate this coming week.

I don't know about that, after all a lot of people got PS4 this week and I would have expected a larger adoption rate for MGS(maybe 20K or so).
In terms of digital sales aren't we getting the figures for September sometime soon?

That is a good point that I somehow forgot (even in totals it's keeping up with MGSIV though). And yep we should get estimates for digital sales soon.

Wii U this holidays is not gonna sell like in 2013, but will easy beat 2014 numbers, which were pretty tragic.

I agree with that. Totals for 2015 should beat 2014.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They should have ported Arsalan to Vita. Could have sold some copies.

Tokyo Xandu debut is mighty impressive for a new IP. It should easily reach 200k+ with digital + physical.

Wouldnt have worked for what they were trying to do with some mechanics. I mean there is still even popup on the PS4. Would have looked like shit on the Vita honestly.

You sure? Everything I saw back in the day indicated they were and wikipedia still says they are.

Regardless, even the indication was enough to kill my interest.

Considering said member along side of myself and others are the few that actually have the game. Im pretty certain they are "sure".

You mean the week it launched.

Also, again, Gates came out closer to Christmas and had the holiday boost instantly.

You're just looking at raw numbers, and not the context of the numbers, in order to prove your point somewhat.

It may not be doing as well as its predecessor, but it's not "bombing".

Nope, Silver Week for Pokémon's second week (Week 39); its drop was quite bad. And of course I'm looking at the context; I've just said that, all things considered, it's still a pretty bad result overall - I'm quite confident it will sell well during holidays but right now the game is bombing and dropping harder than expected.

For the whole year it's not probably going to sell more than in 2013. In 2013 WiiU actually had pretty good holidays and I just don't see it repeat that.

After 40 weeks:
2014 = 461,349
2013 = 422,612

At the end of the year:
2014 = 618.150
2013 = 898.143

Still considering the starting position to this year it has definitely sold more than people expected.

they don't have something big hitting Wii U for the holidays at all this year I would expect pretty low sales indeed

Zelda U would have helped

Mario Maker is not selling like a monster so far
Animal Crossing Amiibos? maybe

miku

First week sales for everything from PS2 to now. Famitsu numbers.

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 - 374,055

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 - 598,933

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 - 627,017

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 - 552,386

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 615,521

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 305,234
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 144,839

[PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 - 101,857
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 - 175,363

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 - 234,508

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 - 229,076

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 268,542

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 - 234,383

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 - 153,410

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 - 71,303
[PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 - 26,684

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2016 - 48,473
[PS4] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2016 - 39,017

I believe WE2013 was the first one that requires an online pass. Not sure if that would affected the sales though.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Holy fuck, that's atrocious. 0_O

Vandole

Given the last 2 weeks of sub 10K sales I thought the PS4 would at least hit 50K. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think there will be a sustained sales bump 2 weeks from now.

duckroll

I believe WE2013 was the first one that requires an online pass. Not sure if that would affected the sales though.

I think in general sports and racing are genres which have seen a huge decline in Japan in recent years because consoles have fallen out of favor and dedicated software taking those genres "seriously" no longer have the impact that used to have in the region. Gran Turismo met the same fate. Things like Mario Kart manage to survive because they're pretty much party games, and have a strong family brand behind them. But I think stuff like Mario Tennis or even Wii Sports also saw a huge drop in mainstream interest over the years.

noshten

they don't have something big hitting Wii U for the holidays at all this year I would expect pretty low sales indeed

Zelda U would have helped

Mario Maker is not selling like a monster so far
Animal Crossing Amiibos? maybe

Mario Maker is actually selling very well compared to other flagship titles on the Wii U.
Zelda has never been huge in Japan as far as I'm aware and obviously the Wii U lineup for the Holidays is pretty bad. That's why I think they need to have the MK8/Splatoon bundle for the Holidays in Japan as well.

fernoca

Nope, Silver Week for Pokémon's second week (Week 39); its drop was quite bad. And of course I'm looking at the context; I've just said that, all things considered, it's still a pretty bad result overall - I'm quite confident it will sell well during holidays but right now the game is bombing and dropping harder than expected.
A game performing close to the previous, is not "bombing". Disappointing? Underperforming? Slow? Maybe. It doing like less than half of what the previous one did would be a "bomb".

But geeze, the word "bomb" is thrown around here a bit too much. Everything is a "bomba". Kinda wonder how sales threads would look if mods changed: bomb, bomba and bombing; like how they changed PSA in titles. :p

A game performing close to the previous, is not "bombing". Disappointing? Underperforming? Slow? Maybe. It doing like less than half of what the previous one did would be a "bomb".

But geeze, the word "bomb" is thrown around here a bit too much. Everything is a "bomba". Kinda wonder how sales threads would look if mods changed: bomb, bomba and bombing; like how they changed PSA in titles. :p

Numers are disappointing, drops are bomba-level ;)

crinale

I think in general sports and racing are genres which have seen a huge decline in Japan in recent years because consoles have fallen out of favor and dedicated software taking those genres "seriously" no longer have the impact that used to have in the region. Gran Turismo met the same fate. Things like Mario Kart manage to survive because they're pretty much party games, and have a strong family brand behind them. But I think stuff like Mario Tennis or even Wii Sports also saw a huge drop in mainstream interest over the years.

As a Japanese individual I'm really hesitant to say this.. but how national team is doing among the worldwide association football does have an effect to sales :(

lyrick

Not sure what to think of the PS4 number, it feels a bit low.

How does it compare to other legacy platforms after their first price drop?

Is it also normal for the other platforms to see a drop (combined ~15K)? Or is this more indicative of new PS4 purchasers pulling from a group that would have bought other hardware, instead of pulling from a new group that were enticed by the lower price?

Hikami

Anyone has an idea why Arslan did so bad? Is the series not popular enough or something?
I'm a fan of the show and musou in general, I was planning on getting it but then I played the demo.. It didn't really leave a good impression.

JoeM86

So it dropped from a holiday week to a normal week, like most things do, and you claim it's bombing?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Has Soccer season started in Japan? Baseball games were really obviously supplanted by mobile as those do really well on mobile, but scanning through the list I'm not really seeing all that much of a performance from Soccer titles right now.

crinale

Has Soccer season started in Japan? Baseball games were really obviously supplanted by mobile as those do really well on mobile, but scanning through the list I'm not really seeing all that much of a performance from Soccer titles right now.

It usually starts at March and ends at November.

I think PSP numbers should have been included, they were around 100k iirc, some PS2 userbase moved to PSP
and I still think not doing Vita version was a bad move

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It usually starts at March and ends at November.

Thanks.

It turns out I just missed it. Here's how the last year of Pro Evo Mobile has performed:

pesmobilecdkmt.png

It's not as strong as baseball, but it's plausible lots of people are satisfied with it.

Edit:

100 million downloads:

Konami said:
2015 marks twenty years since the 1995 release of the first game in the Winning Eleven series, which has since earned countless fans around the world. In 2013, KONAMI released "WORLD SOCCER COLLECTION S" for smartphone users, and this March saw the global release of the latest mobile title, "Winning Eleven CLUB MANAGER" (overseas title: "PES CLUB MANAGER"), which has been downloaded by a total of over 100 million users.
http://www.konami-digital-entertainment.co.jp/en/news/release/2015/0730/

Xbox one; the only console that gets a price drop and sells worse than before. Maybe the Japanese are too smart and see through MS bullshit "temporary" slash.

duckroll

I think PSP numbers should have been included, they were around 100k iirc, some PS2 userbase moved to PSP
and I still think not doing Vita version was a bad move

They are not included for the same reason why I stopped including PS2 versions, because in Japan they stopped releasing them on the same day. The PS3 version would come out first, and then a month later the other ports start coming out. So it's not a good comparison.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
For next week i expect some like 18,000 to 23,000 from PS4, around 50/60 % drop. Should be >15k for the rert of year.

Xbox one; the only console that gets a price drop and sells worse than before. Maybe the Japanese are too smart and see through MS bullshit "temporary" slash.

Poor XB1. :-/

Anyone has an idea why Arslan did so bad? Is the series not popular enough or something?

people suck, it doesnt have enough moe to be a hit. fuck, this will probably be the first and last outside Japan.

i hope it does well here in the west. that said the PS4 did good people waiting for that price drop

Decent for PS4. Shame there was no big release to go with the cut to help it further but for a price cut alone that's not too bad. Should help it sell over Xmas nicely however.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good debut for Tokyo, disappointing debut for PES, bomba Wii-U-late-Mosou-port-level for Arslan :\
Good hold for Mario Maker, Splatoon, Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing and Minecraft Vita.
Very solid reaction for PS4 to the price cut, let's see how it will manage to handle the incoming weeks!

Darius

Banned
but Tsutaya said WE2016 is #1....

By now you should know that their charts reflect only sales of their own retail chains and nothing else, your post makes even less sense since WE on PS3 charted only first in their seperate SKU charts. In any other retail chains that made their charts available Tokyo Xanadu charted 1st. the most known around here ComG had it1st with just the best selling SKU. please inform yourself next time.

Alo0oy

Banned
I was really surprised to play a lot of Japanese players in my MGO sessions.

Why would you be surprised by that? Metal Gear always sold great in Japan, and The Phantom Pain should easily sell better than MGS4 if you include digital (maybe even if you don't).

It's not as strong as baseball, but it's plausible lots of people are satisfied with it.

It's hard to think that those who are spending money on the mobile game all belong to the same pool of gamers who were purchasing WE on consoles. The former is a card game while the latter is a sport simulation game - it's more likely that WE userbase dissipated in favour of other genres entirely or simply exited the video game market.

US is home turf for the ps4

I'm sorry, was I incorrect in saying that the explosion in ps4 sales have only pretty much made up for the lost sales over the past couple weeks? If so, please feel free to correct me

Sony treats every region like home turf, maybe that's why they sell well in all regions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's hard to think that those who are spending money on the mobile game belong to the same pool of gamers who were purchasing WE on consoles. The former is a card game while the latter is a sport simulation game - it's more likely that WE userbase was lost in favour of other genres entirely or nothing at all.

It's certainly possible. For example, in the West we saw a notable downturn in JRPG sales, but given the vast rising age of console gamers, it suggests they just like other genres more now.

That said, I wouldn't be super shocked though if some of them were teenagers who got older and just wanted "Soccer experience" on their phone though on the way to work. There seem to be a lot of games that are "video game brand people liked as teens" + "simplistic gameplay" that succeed.

That said the vast, vast majority of them would have to not be PES players. PES topped out around 5-7 million copies a year whereas this is 100 million downloads. Even assuming a changing audience over time, well over 80% of them would presumably be new.

Kathian

Banned
Was trying to work out what happened to PS4 but then saw it was the price cut; its not that big a boost is it? Mostly looks like the pent up demand from last few weeks as I would have hoped PES would boost it anyway.

What numbers did the initial PS3 and 3DS price drop get?

PS3 software above PS4 shows theres room for opportunity for PS4 but with potential NX next year they need to move quickly to get people to make the switch over or I could see Japan being mobile and Nintendo.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yes, go PS4!

I think Uncharted is fairly big in Japan, right? The Collection should do some fine numbers!

Uncharted 3 sold >100k first week, so Uncharted 4 should sell well. About the collection, don't expect big numbers, maybe 40-60k first week or so.

Top Bottom