• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2014 (Nov 24 - Nov 30)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Etrian Odyssey did terribly.

Brand fatigue? Also, isn't this the 3rd installment of the EO series in 2014? Might explain why.

And Phantasy Star ;,;

Sega is definitely going to concentrate it's development efforts in mobile offerings moving forward.

Edit: 2nd installment. thxs ohlawd.

vinnygambini

Nope, it's the first one. PQ is not an EO, though it shares the same gameplay. Also, this is not a terrible result by any mean.

I thought Millennium Girl released this year; mistake on my part.

I don't know Penny; almost 40% decline comparatively to the last iteration is telling honestly. Etrian Odyssey is very much a niche product - their legs are always cut short. But maybe holidays would give them a boost?

I thought Millennium Girl released this year; mistake on my part.

I don't know Penny; almost 40% decline comparatively to the last iteration is telling honestly. Etrian Odyssey is very much a niche product - their legs are always cut short. But maybe holidays would give them a boost?

We were all expecting a similar debut to EOU, this is true. But I don't think that it changes much if they sell 105k or 130k units, at the end. Let's see how the game will perform during holidays; all the other EO games were released in May / June IIRC (anyway, outside the holiday season).

casiopao

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Donkey Kong 2   |   Captain Toad   |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/02/13)| [WIU] (2014/11/13)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   CT – DK2   | 
|  1 |   35.717|   35.717|   28.025|   28.025|        -7.692| 
|  2 |   14.330|   50.047|   13.817|   41.843|        -8.204| 
|  3 |   10.056|   60.103|   12.211|   54.053|        -6.050|  
|  4 |    7.181|   67.284|         |         |              | 
|  5 |    5.117|   72.401|         |         |              |

Move aside Apes. Cranky Toad is coming through.^_^

duckroll

We were all expecting a similar debut to EOU, this is true. But I don't think that it changes much if they sell 105k or 130k units, at the end. Let's see how the game will perform during holidays; all the other EO games were released in May / June IIRC (anyway, outside the holiday season).

That's assuming it doesn't end up doing 80-90k total. Which would definitely be something Atlus should be concerned about.

I'm surprised they still bother with the 360 and the PSP.
Lots of new Vita games in the chart and a nice bump for the hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Metaps put up some interesting mobile statistics about the Japanese market: http://www.metaps.com/press/en/blog/157-jptrends1202

1.) Monster Strike has finally overtaken Puzzle & Dragons on a consistent basis. Okamoto's Revenge is in full effect.

monsterstrikenumberonrif1b.png

2.) Some of the slight differences between Google Play and the App Store are looked at. Overall pretty similar as you would expect.

3.) In terms of what makes money and what gets downloaded, games represent a bigger percentage on Google Play than the App Store.

casiopao

Well, it all depends with the end result here true but starting the sales much weaker especially for title which is more usually front loaded sales like this is never a good news.

Maybe, it will reach 100k maybe not too.T_T

Hope that with this, Sega will consider that it is surely not a good idea to keep pumping EO every year.

Give some love for this series plizzzz Sega.T_T

7thdragon.png

7th_Dragon.jpg

Or these one. At least while on same genre, it had a huge different setting and classes to play with.^_^

Takao

Banned
sörine;141431554 said:
With a first week like this they'll be lucky to even make 200k now. Sega should've probably made it PS3 multi.

The fact that Nova only debuted slightly higher than the Toukiden expansion is a strong indicator that the problem is the game and not just the platform.

hiska, have a question for you

lately I didn't pay so much attention about commercial on train or inside stations (I don't have a TV at home), but talking about Smash Wii, did you feel nintendo put the same efforts they put for 3DS version a couple of months ago?

It came out to my mind cause today when I was coming back home from work I noticed a panel inside Mejiro station and just after a couple of seconds I realized it was for Smash Wii and not 3DS :D

That's assuming it doesn't end up doing 80-90k total. Which would definitely be something Atlus should be concerned about.

True.

Latest EO entries sold 70% of their LTD during the first week. With such %, EOU2 would end up around 85k units. Let's see if holidays could mitigate the drop, and allow the game to reach the 100k mark.

hiska-kun

hiska, have a question for you

lately I didn't pay so much attention about commercial on train or inside stations (I don't have a TV at home), but talking about Smash Wii, did you feel nintendo put the same efforts they put for 3DS version a couple of months ago?

It came out to my mind cause today when I was coming back home from work I noticed a panel inside Mejiro station and just after a couple of seconds I realized it was for Smash Wii and not 3DS :D

I think they are promoting in a same level in game shops, but i feel the ads are less frequent outside. It doesn't mean they're low, though.

duckroll

True.

Latest EO entries sold 70% of their LTD during the first week. With such %, EOU2 would end up around 85k units. Let's see if holidays could mitigate the drop, and allow the game to reach the 100k mark.

Yeah I think if it can make up for the difference because of the holiday season, and it ends up with 100k or so, it's not really that big a deal. But if the decline is consistent in the LTD as well, then there's trouble.

sörine

Banned
Given the problems people are mentioning as reasons to affect PSNova performance, it couldn't have been released in every platform and it would sell the same, only split among platforms.
Not exactly, the similarity of PSO2 offering a close experience for free on the same platform is a Vita specific issue. PS3 also has triple the userbase Vita does, there's a sizable audience not being served by any Vita exclusive. Which is probably why no other major publishers are doing Vita exclusives anymore, Sega was the last.

vinnygambini

Oh hiska-kun!

Are you going to visit the Pokemon Center Mega Tokyo when it opens? :D

Side note, also I just visited Famitsu, what are they saying here?:

『ポケットモンスター オメガルビー・アルファサファイア』が2週連続の首位獲得

今回のソフトランキングは、『ポケットモンスター オメガルビー・アルファサファイア』が32.1万本を販売し、2週連続となる首位を獲得した。累計でも185.6万本に達し、200万本突破も目前といえる。

新作では、『ファンタシースター ノヴァ』が2位にランクイン。2011年2月にプレイステーション・ポータブルで発売された『ファンタシースターポータブル2 インフィニティ』の初週には及ばなかったが、同じプレイステーション Vitaの『討鬼伝』や『SOUL SACRIFICE(ソウル・サクリファイス)』と同水準のスタートを切った。

また、『フェイト/ホロウ アタラクシア』は、プレイステーション・ポータブル向け『フェイト/エクストラ CCC』(2013年3月発売)の初動に迫る好スタートとなっている。

ハード市場では、ニンテンドー3DSが大型タイトルのあった前回を上回り、4機種合計8.6万台でトップを維持。新作が上位にランクインし、お得なバリューパックが発売されたプレイステーション Vitaは、前回の約2.5倍となる2.6万台を販売し、2番手となった。

They are commenting on Pokemon & Phantasy Star's performance but can't decipher much, google translate is terrible ;.;

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duck posted up the first game from Yoshida at his new job as Art Director with CyDesignation/CyGames.

Probably not very shocking, but it wasn't their PS4 title, and is instead a mobile game.

This was discussed in a couple of threads with most of the people in here, and the actual thread is a bit dead, so I thought I'd duplicate his post here.

Generally these types of games are released not too long after they're unveiled, so we should have data on how it's performing within a couple of months if not within a couple of weeks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904757

kmhIGJb.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/283/G028349/20141203044/

BlazeGames (a subsidiary of CyGames) has announced a upcoming smartphone RTS featuring Akihiko Yoshida as art director and Hitoshi Sakimoto as composer. It's set in a fantasy world of alchemy and airships, and there'll also be raid bosses and 4-player co-op battles.

y5gZeHs.jpg
Ki6xILE.jpg

ObB48I2.jpg
OTVxd0y.jpg

Tom_Cody

Are there any thoughts on how Amiibos will do in Japan?

I don't know if there is a better thread to speculate on this topic.

monpiece

Banned
sörine;141443383 said:
Not exactly, the similarity of PSO2 offering a close experience for free on the same platform is a Vita specific issue. PS3 also has triple the userbase Vita does, there's a sizable audience not being served by any Vita exclusive. Which is probably why no other major publishers are doing Vita exclusives anymore, Sega was the last.

Userbase is only relevant if the sales are really constrained by the userbase. Given that Phantasy Star Online 2 has over 1 million users only on Vita, according to an earlier report this year, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If Sega can't sell their own game to Phantasy Star fans, I think they would have a hard time selling it outside their fans that are already playing Phantasy Star Online 2 in some way.

My belief is that a PS3 version (or in any other platform) would change the fate of the game simply because it is not a compelling product. PS3 sales would not be game-changing.

antibolo

Banned
Good hardware sales all around this week.

Is Black Friday a thing in Japan now? I know it is in some of Europe so I guess it's possible...?

Micken

Banned
Wii U passed 2 million sold in Japan? Wow. How many has it sold worldwide? 7, 8 million? I thought Japan was a weak market for consoles... :L

Producer

Damn PS Nova didnt do too good. Demo was great.

Lol Nisekoi making the top 10 though. dont even know what to think of that.

Revival Selection sold 94k on PS3 in 2011, so i think is kinda low,

But we have to take into account that Revival Selection are 2 games and PS3 was selling more at the time.

And also it's the third version of the same remake of a game that already had plenty of versions.

sörine

Banned
Userbase is only relevant if the sales are really constrained by the userbase. Given that Phantasy Star Online 2 has over 1 million users only on Vita, according to an earlier report this year, that doesn't seem to be the case.

If Sega can't sell their own game to Phantasy Star fans, I think they would have a hard time selling it outside their fans that are already playing Phantasy Star Online 2 in some way.

My belief is that a PS3 version (or in any other platform) would change the fate of the game simply because it is not a compelling product. PS3 sales would not be game-changing.
A 3 million userbase will always be a constraint for almost any major title. I'd imagine there are also plenty of Phantasy Star fans without a Vita and I'm not sure any number of free downloads really indicates otherwise.

A significant issue people were bringing up with PSO2 was that Nova was too similar to it so there's little incentive for people who played PSO2 to bother. Logically then bringing the game to a system with a substantially higher userbase without PSO2 (PS3, 3DS, etc) could bring up it's sales potential as well. Not a sure thing by any means, and that's not to say Nova's issues couldn't have been overcome in other ways while staying Vita exclusive, but to say it would've sold identically even if it were on other systems as is isn't realistic. That's not the way big games work.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You guys think Toukiden 2 will be a Vita exclusive, or another multiplatform like SAO and GE?

I'm assuming it won't be on PSP, but will probably be multiplatform with PS3 and/or PS4.

As far as I can tell all the Sony monetary incentives these days are going toward the PS4.

monpiece

Banned
sörine;141463345 said:
A 3 million userbase will always be a constraint for almost any major title. I'd imagine there are also plenty of Phantasy Star fans without a Vita and I'm not sure any number of free downloads really indicates otherwise.

A significant issue people were bringing up with PSO2 was that Nova was too similar to it so there's little incentive for people who played PSO2 to bother. Logically then bringing the game to a system with a substantially higher userbase without PSO2 (PS3, 3DS, etc) could bring up it's sales potential as well. Not a sure thing by any means, and that's not to say Nova's issues couldn't have been overcome in other ways while staying Vita exclusive, but to say it would've sold identically even if it were on other systems as is isn't realistic. That's not the way big games work.

3 million is a constraint for a major-major title, but if people considered a performance similar to God Eater 2 on PSV a good target for PSN, it isn't a big constraint. The number of Phantasy Star Online 2 users (not downloads) on Vita only adds to show that Vita userbase is not a constraint for the intended numbers.

If PSV doesn't manage numbers comparable to God Eater 2 or Freedom Wars, which are from the same genre and should appeal to mostly the same audience, userbase constraint cannot be determined as a decisive factor. It may be a factor, but may not be the most important factor when we consider that the reaction to PS Nova has not been good since the first demo.

That is not to say you may not be right that a PS3 version could change things, but I believe it wouldn't add more than 20% or 25% to the total sales considering the biggest complaint that the game it not very compeling to PS fans. That wouldn't be much considering that if it goes as expected, PSN will end near 200K LTD.

3 million is a constraint for a major-major title, but if people considered a performance similar to God Eater 2 on PSV a good target for PSN, it isn't a big constraint. The number of Phantasy Star Online 2 users (not downloads) on Vita only adds to show that Vita userbase is not a constraint for the intended numbers.

If PSV doesn't manage numbers comparable to God Eater 2 or Freedom Wars, which are from the same genre and should appeal to mostly the same audience, userbase constraint cannot be determined as a decisive factor. It may be a factor, but may not be the most important factor when we consider that the reaction to PS Nova has not been good since the first demo.

That is not to say you may not be right that a PS3 version could change things, but I believe it wouldn't add more than 20% or 25% to the total sales considering the biggest complaint that the game it not very compeling to PS fans. That wouldn't be much considering that if it goes as expected, PSN will end near 200K LTD.

How can this be proven using a F2P game?

monpiece

Banned
You guys think Toukiden 2 will be a Vita exclusive, or another multiplatform like SAO and GE?

Based on what they have already said, it will likely be a PS4 and Vita title, like God Eater 2 Rage Burst. Makes a lot of sense since Vita should get the biggest part of Japanese sales, while PS4 the biggest part of western sales.

monpiece

Banned
How can this be proven using a F2P game?

Because if there are 1 million Phantasy Star Online 2 players on Vita, it is not the number of Vitas that are preventing Phantasy Star Nova to sell 400k to 500k, it is the lack of interest on PS Nova by more than 80% of the PSO2 players.

If they said every F2P game was downloaded had more than a million different PSN users downloading it, or at least close to a million, then the number would be irrelevant. I have never seen anything confirming this proposition.

Top Bottom