• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

Tizoc

I wonder if this game was bought just because of this ad
Derby-Stallion-Gold-3DS.jpg

Darius

Banned
PSV 2014-2013 ytd comparison

MediaCreate
week40: +215.563
week41: +164.695
week42: +148.323
-
week45: +109.411
week46: + 40.865
week47: + 22.810
-
week49: + 20.312

Famitsu
week40: +226.192
week41: +176.920
week42: +161.553
-
week45: +119.852
week46: + 46.284
week47: + 25.44
-
week49: + 16.235

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I would expect them to be marginally to moderately higher, but overall sales of the product to be vastly, vastly lower.

It'd be something like 350,000 to 400,000 (given the debut SSB had on Wii U), instead of...1,200,000, like the game had when you combine 3DS and Wii U.

Yagami_Sama

Not a bad week for Nintendo.

Good numbers for Wii U and Smash Bros I hope they have some legs and keep on selling better or similar to Mario Kart 8, which sold pretty well too.

Captin Toad so far surpassed my expectation.

Rymuth

Wow, new Media Create, how did I miss this?
03./00. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264) - 73.616 / NEW
What's happening here...who is this usurper?

SmokyDave

PSV 2014-2013 ytd comparison

MediaCreate
week40: +215.563
week41: +164.695
week42: +148.323
-
week45: +109.411
week46: + 40.865
week47: + 22.810
-
week49: + 20.312

Famitsu
week40: +226.192
week41: +176.920
week42: +161.553
-
week45: +119.852
week46: + 46.284
week47: + 25.44
-
week49: + 16.235
The last hope for a YoY increase ain't looking good. I love that it's coming down to the wire though, proper gripping stuff.

I say the last hope because it's starting to look like we can rule the Wii U out now.

2014: Year of Decline :(

Who will save us next year?

Nyoro SF

Wow, Guilty Gear TANKED. I guess it was a combination of the roster and some bad word of mouth circulating before release and the PS4's current situation.

Elios83

Really poor performance for Wii U considering Smash Bros, seems like Nintendo sealed their deal by putting it on the 3DS first and I can't blame them.

I feel like the Wii U HW has just about reached its stagnation in Japan. It's up YoY elsewhere. They can only hope to focus on software sales there from here on out. 2015 might not be any better.

true, but seeing as Japan typically starts faster and then levels off earlier, this should be a clear indication that 2014 is the peak year for hardware in the rest of the world

(yeah I know most of us know this already, but still)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's a really disappointing debut for Smash but hopefully holiday sales will help the title.

20./04. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Knight of Fafnir <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) - 8.521 / 68.644 <60-80%> (-86%)

At this rate, it might not even achieve 85k ;.;

No surprised SWC3 did terribly.

Maybe Koei shouldn't announce the next game of the series before the spinoff comes out. (again)

Alrus

SWC 3 actually had about the same start as SWC 2 if you add both versions together. Who knows, it might have decent legs like the second one.

Not only is the Wii U going to be down a large amount YoY, the holiday battle probably won't even be close. I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo even can hit their pessimistic forecasts now.

Also with Yokai it seems like the 3DS should win the holiday battle with last year, but they really didn't do anything with the 3DS in the rest of the world.

Also Phantasy Star Nova and Etrian Odyssey are bigger bombas than I imagined.

Darius

Banned
SWC 3 actually had about the same start as SWC 2 if you add both versions together. Who knows, it might have decent legs like the second one.

They basically just divided the sales for this spin-off series into two versions, with extra development costs on top of that. A good example of how greed can lead to actual worse results.

Mory Dunz

true, but seeing as Japan typically starts faster and then levels off earlier, this should be a clear indication that 2014 is the peak year for hardware in the rest of the world

(yeah I know most of us know this already, but still)

Yeah, unless Yoshi, Kirby, and StarFox redefined their franchises, Xenoblade gained mainstream appeal, Galaxy 1+2 HD was announced, and Zelda U made OoT look like OoT has passed, and Splatoon became the new Minecraft.

So....2014 peak year it is.

sörine;142684303 said:
What legs?

The legs that are currently supporting the weight of the entire games hardware industry in Japan.

Well, there is that.

Rushed handheld with shit launch lineup it is :(

They've assured us that they'll never make that mistake again. and again. and again

I kind of believe them for next time though, if this shared software platform thing works out.

No surprise for Smash Wii U performance, really. 3DS version already cannibalized significant sales from it. Nintendo made a bad move by releasing it first for 3DS rather than Wii U. This is the result.

KoopaTheCasual

PS4 has no hopes of catching Wii U. Consoles are dead.
???

It's outsold it every single week for awhile now, except this week. And Wii U sales will only continue to dwindle since its biggest software has come and gone. The second part of your statement is pretty true for Japan, tho.

No surprise for Smash Wii U performance, really. 3DS version already cannibalized significant sales from it. Nintendo made a bad move by releasing it first for 3DS rather than Wii U. This is the result.

Profit wise, they made a smart move. I really doubt the Wii U sales would have vastly increased even if it came out first. The mere fact that the 3DS version was announced would have cannibalized sales, along with the fact that the Wii U is a flop.

Also, the 4DS isn't dropping next year

The result will likely have the 3DS version at 2.5m and the Wii U version at 700k units, meaning more than 3m for a SSB entry; i.e. the best result ever for the franchise.

Top Bottom