• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2012 (Dec 10 - Dec 16)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
well maybe I don't understand Japan if you look at 3DS vs Vita hardware it boggles the mind on who you would have placed your bets on being the beast

Nintendo did an amazing job pulling this off but 3DS is still meh I mean the 3DS LL came out with one stick that alone should have been enough to kill them heh heh

What I don't like about this is, it encourages Nintendo to pull off even more stupid hardware decisions in the future.

It's not the first time Nintendo have been successful with weaker hardware.
I can understand why some people must hate them - they just do things differently, weirdly, crazily, and yet get brilliant results.

Mainstream gamers don't give a shit about two sticks.

Yeah because two sticks on the Vita really made people rush out and buy it.

Two sticks on a handheld is nice but 3DS success has shown its not a major issue.

the success of the 3DS has made people forget every point of weakness about the thing lol... I hope Nintendo call pull this off with the Wii U. How soon will we forget all of our complaints?

Oersted

I'm not sure about that at all. Can you imagine the PS4 / 720 releasing with single-analogue controllers?

Me neither.

It obviously isn't a big enough factor to overcome the lack of Mario & MonHun games but if the 3DS had two analogues from launch, everyone would agree it was a change for the better.

More sticks and buttons are a barrier. Just look at USA, the XBOX country. Its completly and utterly destroyed by Apple devices saleswise.

QaaQer

They are juvenile statements however Vita sales were disappointing week in week out since its launch.

Took around a year for Xenoblade to come to Europe, a standard timespan for JRPG localization.

for one of the most celebrated games on the wii it took fan pressure to get it done, and even then, the North American release was predicated on the EU release doing reasonable numbers. And the fact that the wii had no must have software during the last two years of its life, and it really speaks poorly of Nintendo's fan service.

In an interview on the French television station Nolife, Mathieu Minel, the marketing manager of Nintendo France, stated that Nintendo of Europe was unable to show Xenoblade Chronicles at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011. Nintendo of America denied it since they are not planning to sell the product locally.[80] In response, on 22 June 2011, users on IGNBoards started a campaign called "Operation Rainfall" to persuade Nintendo of America to localize Xenoblade Chronicles, along with fellow Wii RPGs The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.[81][82] On 25 June 2011, it became the No. 1 best-selling game on Amazon.com, and stayed in that position for over a day.

It's not the first time Nintendo have been successful with weaker hardware.
I can understand why some people must hate them - they just do things differently, weirdly, crazily, and yet get brilliant results.

Yeah it has happened before, it is still amazing to see it again.
Just remember that most of NeoGAF is expecting the Wii U to die at the hands of more powerful PS4/720. To be honest I don't really see how Nintendo could survive this time around. So this is just very interesting to witness how Nintendo makes it work.

Pikma

Banned
the success of the 3DS has made people forget every point of weakness about the thing lol... I hope Nintendo call pull this off with the Wii U. How soon will we forget all of our complaints?
As soon as they give me F-ZERO GX U, or even an HD port, I'll do it.
never -_-

More sticks and buttons are a barrier. Just look at USA, the XBOX country. Its completly and utterly destroyed by Apple devices saleswise.

Really, we are in bizzarroland now? By that logic WiiU will fail miserably. Also, please do not compare X360 with a damn multi-purpose device.

Just remember that most of NeoGAF is expecting the Wii U to die at the hands of more powerful PS4/720. To be honest I don't really see how Nintendo could survive this time around. So this is just very interesting to witness how Nintendo makes it work.

More than power, Wii U (and Nintendo) weakness is lack of a good online infrastructure.

QaaQer

This week starts including Vita in the 2011 comparisons and obviously that will make things look worse for Sony and for total handhelds.

PSP+PSV(2011 YTD)=2,240,144
PSP+PSV(2012 YTD)=1,440,935(-35.7%)

Looking ahead to Week 51, PSP+PSV did 173,600 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=4,239,579
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=4,903,784(+15.7%)3 weeks ago was 27%

Looking ahead to week 50, 3DS+DS did 496,596 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=6,479,723
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=6,344,719 (-2.1%)Once again down from last year, doesn't look like it will reverse that.

Some extra info looking ahead, total sales for 2011.
PSP=2,079,152
PSP+PSV=2,519,138

3DS=4,282,142
3DS+DS=4,939,929

All handhelds=7,459,067(Need to average 557.2K a week to match last year)

It really is interesting how different the Japanese market is to the the rest of the world.

leehom

11./00. [PS3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.13} (¥9.240) - 30.419 / NEW

I hope this still makes it out west. ):

kinggroin

Banned
Castor Kreig said:
Price drop will not do anything without price drop in memory cards as well. Japan is a country ruled by handhelds, Vita needs ports of PS3 games first, Remote Play second, original IPs third. Not in this order, but all are important. Sony needs to push hard the fact Vita+PS3 do same thing that WiiU does.

Except it doesn't.

Yeah, those Vita numbers pretty much seal the deal for the handheld there. Absolutely pathetic and Sony has done nothing to try and turn the handheld around. Really, it is quite ridiculous. Those 3DS numbers are absolutely crazy... so many.

And I was hoping to see numbers over 20k at least... haha, wow.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't see how you didn't catch the sarcasm in that.

You can never be sure with Oersted.

And no, Oersted, the UK is still buying plenty of expensive electronic things for Christmas. Just not WiiU's.

Malvingt2

21st of December, believe:

uXsnx.jpg

lololol

BriBri

I'm not sure about that at all. Can you imagine the PS4 / 720 releasing with single-analogue controllers?

Me neither.

It obviously isn't a big enough factor to overcome the lack of Mario & MonHun games but if the 3DS had two analogues from launch, everyone would agree it was a change for the better.
The mainstream audience who buy 3DS and 3DS LL don't give a shit. 720 won't sell in Japan and PS4 is a separate debate.

BadWolf

I'm disappointed in the hardware but even more so in the software situation.

The PS1 and PS2 not only dominated their respective gens but also had the libraries of games to show for it, some of the best in gaming.

Wii? Dominated by a landslide and hands down has one of the worst library of games I can think of for any console.

Same thing is happening with the 3DS so far (for me), its not so much the winning that I mind its the library of games its doing it with.

QaaQer

Yeah, those Vita numbers pretty much seal the deal for the handheld there. Absolutely pathetic and Sony has done nothing to try and turn the handheld around. Ridiculous.

Sure they have. It's just that Sony constrained financially. Add to that the fact that the market just isn't that interested in a premium handheld and PS Vita is in a tough spot. I think they will support the vita for another year or two, they cannot EOL it before the PS4 comes out though for PR reasons.

It will be interesting to see if they plan on having another handheld in the future. I'm guessing not because the handheld market is only going to get smaller going forward, and Nintendo is in a far far stronger position wrt IP and balance sheet.

Vita is a really nice swan song as far as industrial design goes.

StevieP

Banned

The PS1 and PS2 not only dominated their respective gens but also had the libraries of games to show for it, some of the best in gaming.

Wii? Dominated by a landslide and hands down has one of the worst library of games I can think of for any console.

Same thing is happening with the 3DS so far, I don't mind it winning but not with this library of games.

You're on a hardcore enthusiast forum, and don't represent the mass market. The sooner you realize that, the longer you'll live. lol

SmokyDave

Yeah, those Vita numbers pretty much seal the deal for the handheld there. Absolutely pathetic and Sony has done nothing to try and turn the handheld around. Really, it is quite ridiculous. Those 3DS numbers are absolutely crazy... so many.

And I was hoping to see numbers over 20k at least... haha, wow.

They've put some effort into advertising here in the UK. It's hard to say what kind of effect that is having without hardware numbers though. I'm hoping that they predominantly focus their Vita efforts over here as it seems like Japan has already firmly made its mind up. Handhelds aren't traditionally that big with western devs but if Sony are going to keep the Vita alive, they need to try and change that fact.

for one of the most celebrated games on the wii it took fan pressure to get it done, and even then, the North American release was predicated on the EU release doing reasonable numbers. And the fact that the wii had no must have software during the last two years of its life, and it really speaks poorly of Nintendo's fan service.

You see, as a European... I simply don't care about NoA's idiocy. Sorry, but I don't.

herod

Just PR talk.

They didn't do anything worth mentioning in Japan for this holiday to warrant any sort of bump in sales.

No price cut, no attractive bundles, nothing worth mentioning in terms of game releases.

Can't blame them either, whatever they would have done would have just been overshadowed by the continued rise of the 3DS and the launch of the WiiU.

I'm looking to next year for them to start making moves with the Vita.

20080716.jpg

Ragus

Banned
960 x 544 is HD nowadays?

This, plus how can we be sure, that it will run in native resolution? This is what pisses me off about Vita. Why bother releasing a handheld with qHD, when many games are not running in native resolution?

It will be interesting to see if they plan on having another handheld in the future. I'm guessing not because the handheld market is only going to get smaller going forward, and Nintendo is in a far far stronger position wrt IP and balance sheet.

Vita is a really nice swan song as far as industrial design goes.
Repackage/relaunch it as a gaming-focused tablet. Allow other vendors to produce them as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Same thing is happening with the 3DS so far (for me), its not so much the winning that I mind its the library of games its doing it with.
What hardware should "win" over 3DS due to its library? I mean, I can see your Wii argument (which has little to do with enthusiast vs casual or whatever in my opinion, I consider myself the former and found plenty to love on Wii, enough to get it in addition to my PC vs other consoles) if you're into a certain style of games perhaps but not for the 3DS. And I'm not saying 3DS has a great library already, it's still at its infancy compared to predecessors and currently established platforms obviously, but it for sure is looking like the more promising of the portables. Which doesn't mean Vita has nothing. Especially considering this is the Media Create thread and thus about Japan, though I think most of this rings about as true worldwide. And for all the talk of Nintendo "only winning" because of going mainstream, that's pretty much how Sony "won" previously.

wrowa

Well, the 3DS has a pretty great line-up of games in Japan, I can't quite understand why you would say it has one of the "worst library of games" you can imagine. It's not hard to see why the 3DS is selling really well there.

Of course, the line-up in the US and Europe is rather bad, but the hardware sales reflect that. 3DS hardware isn't setting the charts on fire over here.

kinggroin

Banned

Right there with you brosef.

I enjoy Nintendo hardware inspite of their decisions at times. Two sticks > One stick, regardless of mainstream success. No one is arguing that its a crucial piece to achieving sales greatness, but as GAMERS its much better for playability on our end, for the kinds of games we love.

Agreed?

Mr Swine

Banned
Very very nice numbers for the 3DS!

Very very sad numbers for Vita lol.

So does anybody still believe that Soul Sacrifice will be the hit Sony is looking for?

tuffy

People didn't abandon their Atari 2600s for the more powerful Intellivision, or go from the weaker NES to the Master System, or the Gameboy to the Game Gear, and so on. Historically, there's little correlation between how powerful a system is and how successful it is. But a console that doesn't yet exist will always be more attractive because it's made up of hopes and dreams right until it arrives on store shelves - at which point its own growing pains become reality.

BriBri

I enjoy Nintendo hardware inspite of their decisions at times. Two sticks > One stick, regardless of mainstream success. No one is arguing that its a crucial piece to achieving sales greatness, but as GAMERS its much better for playability on our end, for the kinds of games we love.

Agreed?
I'm happy to be a lower cased non-gamer wasting 100 hours of my life on New Leaf with just the one stick ;)

Phazon

Agreed?

I agree, but at this moment there are only a couple of 3DS games who would really benefit of two sticks and they have Circle Pad support. (MGS, KH, RE: Rev and MH)

But I really hope 2 sticks will be integrated in one of their future revisions :)

Huge drop-off for Wii U. I predicted 130-140 lol got something right. I don't see how those numbers are good. Next week it will probably go below 100k. Software sales are non-existent save for NSMBU and sort of Nintendoland.

Malvingt2

Huge drop-off for Wii U. I predicted 130-140 lol got something right. I don't see how those numbers are good. Next week it will probably go below 100k. Software sales are non-existent save for NSMBU and sort of Nintendoland.
how is huge?

Kacho

So does anybody still believe that Soul Sacrifice will be the hit Sony is looking for?

I'm not convinced that it will help move Vitas in any significant way in the long-term.

lol, Heavy. You crack me up, dude.

If you don't see how those numbers are at least decent, I daresay you haven't been paying much attention to Sales-Age over the years. Ditto software sales.

I would bet cash that it won't go under 100K next week, I seriously would.

kinggroin

Banned
I agree, but at this moment there are only a couple of 3DS games who would really benefit of two sticks and they have Circle Pad support. (MGS, KH, RE: Rev and MH)

But I really hope 2 sticks will be integrated in one of their future revisions :)

Yep. Anyway, better to have and not need, then need and not have.

And to the guy above a ways upset about great sales on hardware with poor software. That's impossible.

I can't think of a single console platform with great hardware sales in any region, that didn't have great software to propel it. Wii included (second best console last gen, IMO).

Dude just fucking stop. If you're not willing to look at the history of Japanese console launches and know don't care to learn anything about them then just don't post to try and confirm the opinion you already have that is not going to change. Seriously tell us how these numbers are bad. I want to hear your amazing explanation.

StevieP

Banned
If you don't see how those numbers are at least decent, I daresay you haven't been paying much attention to Sales-Age over the years. Ditto software sales.

I would bet cash that it won't go under 100K next week, I seriously would.

No, it's pretty standard Heavy.

QaaQer

Repackage/relaunch it as a gaming-focused tablet. Allow other vendors to produce them as well.

Maybe.

The problem will still be the same: how to compete with cheap nintendo hardware on one side and cheap games on phone/tablets on the other? I don't think Sony has the vision or creativity to pull it off.

Apple could probably do it, but they have no interesting in making gaming hardware.

Top Bottom