• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2014 (Feb 24 - Mar 02)

Darius

Banned
I edited my post

you can't compare PS2 launch (probably the most hyped launch in Japan since SFC times) with actual home market size, closed between handhelds and smartphones

and also, as I said, we are comparing a limited stock of units with fully restocked units
PS4 first week was similat to recent debuts, but they were always refurnished, so we don't really know how much PS4 2nd week should have been with a restock

mpl90 is doing a great job at delivering data from previous launches, that prices and other factors influence the actual performance is common sense, but no reason to hide previous performances in a sales thread.

@test-account
I really think that the only thing most got completely wrong in 2007 was their expectation when PS3s successor would launch. In most cases when a successor is launched the support of the old console dries up and the most basic rule to sales is "software sells hardware". In PS3s case it basically meant 2-3 years longer support that most simply didn´t expected back then, even this year its supported with relative strong titles like Tales of, Persona, Yakuza and MGS(demo). Until now you really avoided to tell me what the predictions in 2007 you are talking about actually looked like. Just to put things in context, since most expected a normal console cycle it would be fun to see PS3 ltd data after 5 and 6 years.

7.267.695 Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2011 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)
8.598.255 Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)

Yeah those individual SW launch attach rates are all over the place although playstation attach rates seem to always be low I guess?

Maybe they scratched their disc? Hasn't ever happened to me but I know some people that break everything.

And you know, opinions.

Presumably wouldn't the value packs have digital codes for knack? Perhaps some wanted a physical copy for collecting purposes and the like?

Speak for yourself. We are talking about the market leader in Japan by far last year versus a dead system, and this year it's selling within striking distance week after week? I believe in the Year of the Vita (TM). #20V1T4

You make it sound like the Vita has started doing 60-80k numbers.

It's less the year of the vita than not the year of 3ds v2.0

Foshy

Presumably wouldn't the value packs have digital codes for knack? Perhaps some wanted a physical copy for collecting purposes and the like?
You're right, it's a digital code. In that case, probably like you're saying, I expect that very little stores are actually carrying Knack yet though.

Metallix87

All the "supply constraint" posts have me remembering this:

i-HJGMj2f.jpg

Schrade

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly? My point was that all the people claiming the system is supply constrained remind me of Sony making that exact claim with the PS3 at launch, and countless fans proclaiming the same.

If I remember correctly, at the time that Tretton was being interviewed and made the comment, it was for a magazine that had something like a month or so lead time before publishing? And the comic came out a few days after the magazine was published?

Am I remembering wrong here?

Pretty obvious the PS4 is constrained by supply and less because of demand, Sony is probably using the infamous Nintendo patented artificial shortages strategy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not sure what you mean, exactly? My point was that all the people claiming the system is supply constrained remind me of Sony making that exact claim with the PS3 at launch, and countless fans proclaiming the same.

Well at least the PS4's are actually sold out in some parts of the rest of the world. In the UK on amazon you have to preorder for a shipment coming in a months for a console already released, it's fucking ridiculous.

All the "supply constraint" posts have me remembering this:

So when the Wii and the PS2 were supply constrained, there was never a single unit on store shelves until they were no longer supply constrained then? Or is such concept perhaps entirely relative and not absolute? Yes PS4 was available at some stores in some regions this week but it was still supply constrained.

Do I think it would do amazing numbers if it wasn't? No not particularly. I also don't expect it to do amazing numbers in the future but it was supply constrained. I don't understand why that's so hard to accept

tmarques

You'd think with all those people who bought a WiiU during the holidays Donkey Kong would at least outsell Pikmin. Jesus.

idlewild_

If I remember correctly, at the time that Tretton was being interviewed and made the comment, it was for a magazine that had something like a month or so lead time before publishing? And the comic came out a few days after the magazine was published?

Am I remembering wrong here?

The interview took place in early January and the magazine was published early-mid February.

You'd think with all those people who bought a WiiU during the holidays Donkey Kong would at least outsell Pikmin. Jesus.

There are no excuses what so ever for the poor DKCTF sales in Japan but with regards to your post, most of those new owners will have NSMBU and 3D World already, why would they want or need another platformer so soon ?.

The over saturation of platformers for WiiU is a real problem. Since launch there have already been six high profiles platformers released for the system. The library is in need of some diversity to attract as many consumers as possible.

Of course in 2014 there are big name racing, fighting, action and RPG titles all due before the end of the year so those titles should help. The more genres covered by the system = the more potential customers.

Very good job on those launch figures MPI90, an interesting read.

DaBoss

Next weeks will show how important stock issues are. Famitsu didn't talk for short supply at launch by the way, just for last week (sellthrough was showing that in the end).

If supply problem is so big as some think hardware will have great holds weeks.

If not it will not happen.
That's true.
Will Pokemon X and Y be the first mainline Pokemon game not to hit 5m in Japan? That'd be unfortunate =(.
I doubt that. It may be the games that take the longest to get to 5 million though.
How many platformers will Wii U owners buy?

casiopao

Comgnet Final Pre Order Points

Soul Sacrifice - 40pt (Debut: 105.863)
Soul Sacrifice Delta - 32pt

That soul sacrifice sounds terrible here. Not to mention this week, we just get valhalla knights expansion right? How many party raid game did they hope vita owners will buy here?

DaBoss

So did I lol.

Well the genre is popular, and they seem to want to capitalize on the lack of Monster Hunter and possibly create a competitor to MH in terms of sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Honestly it looks like Pikmin 3 was a relative success if you think about it. It had the 2nd highest opening for a Wii U game after the launch titles, only selling a bit less than Mario 3d World if I remember. It's kind of sad that nothing else has really sold that well....

test_account

XP-39C²
@test-account
I really think that the only thing most got completely wrong in 2007 was their expectation when PS3s successor would launch. In most cases when a successor is launched the support of the old console dries up and the most basic rule to sales is "software sells hardware". In PS3s case it basically meant 2-3 years longer support that most simply didn´t expected back then, even this year its supported with relative strong titles like Tales of, Persona, Yakuza and MGS(demo). Until now you really avoided to tell me what the predictions in 2007 you are talking about actually looked like. Just to put things in context, since most expected a normal console cycle it would be fun to see PS3 ltd data after 5 and 6 years.

7.267.695 Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2011 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)
8.598.255 Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)
If we put the 10+ million number a side for a bit and only look at what the PS3 sold after 5 and 6 years, i also didnt get the impression that most people where expecting these numbers (7.2m and 8.5m respectively as you mention) either after the PS3 being 5-6 years on the market. If most people were, then i definitelly didnt see much (if any?) mention of it, at least from what i can remember. I followed the Media Create threads for a pretty good amount back in 2007/2008, so this is not something that i would completely forget. And just to be clear, i'm just telling my understanding and going by what i saw and remember. I'm not saying that basically everyone didnt predict these numbers (or close to them), and i'm not giving a key answer to what most people expected back then what the PS3 would end up selling in total.

I'm pretty sure that i see exactly what you mean with these points, but even if people only expected the PS3 to last for 5-6 years before the PS4 came out and guessed completely right on how much the PS3 sold in 5-6 years, it shows that they were off regarding their initial prediction about how much the PS3 would end up selling in total (not just off with the total number, but also off with how long it would take before the PS4 came out), and i feel that this is the main arguement in this discussion, dont you agree?

If i understand you correctly, you are saying that you dont think people were really that off their initial PS3 prediction based on the PS3 sales after 5-6 years, because that is how long they expected the PS3 to last before the PS4 was released. Then i must ask, why do you think this? Are you just assuming (if so, what do you base this assumption on?) or are you going after your own experience with the posts in the earlier Media Create threads? Honest questions, i'm not trying to sound rude at all. I know that you didnt register on Neogaf before later in 2013, but you could have been reading on Neogaf for years without registering for all that i know.

Until now you really avoided to tell me what the predictions in 2007 you are talking about actually looked like.
You think so? Personally i feel that i answered that question pretty well when you asked me to clearify what the predictions looked like. This is what i answered:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103270475&postcount=281 (it starts from when i say "About the predictions").

You're right that i havnt given you any concrete examples, but are you asking for specific examples of who said that the PS3 wouldnt end up selling at least over 7-8 million units? In that case, it would be hard for me to find those mainly due to two reasons. As i mentioned earlier, the first reason is that people didnt necessarily worded themself exactly like that. The second reason would be that it would take me quite some time to find some specific posts like that when i have to look through thousands of posts made in the older Media Create threads. I specifically remember someone doubting/questioning that the PS3 would even outsell the Gamecube in Japan (i tried to search on Google for this post, but unfortunately i found nothing, sorry). I'm not bashing this prediction because the PS3 sales were pretty low at the time, i'm only mentioning it as one example where there wasnt much confidence in the PS3 ending up selling what it did.

But even if i did find some examples that i could show you the quotes on, i dont think it would change much because it i would most likely only find a handful of people saying it, and what i talked about earlier was "most people". But as i mentioned earlier regarding that:

I have to be fair and say that i cant say for sure exactly what people were expected, but i can put it like this: If many people had confident in this, then they really didnt show it or speak much about it, at least not from what i saw and remember. I saw comments more about "ouch, that is low PS3 sales" and such. So that makes me believe that not many people in the Media Creat threads expected early on that the PS3 would end up selling 10+ million units in Japan when it was all said and done.
In that quote i mentioned 10+ million only, but the same would go for 7-8 million units after 5-6 years as well :) (i noticed now that there was actually a big typo in that quote. I ment to say "i cant say", not "i can say").

In the end, we agree on what i feel is the main point in this discussion, and that is that making long-term predictions might end up quite differently than what people first thought might happen =)

EDIT: I added some text and rewrote some of my points for better clarificiation.

Are people confusing tie ratios and attach rates? 0.3 is an awful tie ratio but a pretty good attach rate...

Ishin's 0.25 is pretty good. Even down to 0.15 probably isn't considered awful depending on the title. I don't have access to the data right now but I don't think many US titles are above 0.3.

Also I'm not even sure what this massive PS3 discussion is about and what it's meant to relate to in the current data...?

ccbfan

The interview took place in early January and the magazine was published early-mid February.

From what I gather from many topics, most Gaffers don't know the truth about the PS3 launch and enjoy reposting a completely inaccurate comic over and over.

The PS3 was extremely supply constrained at launch.

You could sell the system for 100 percent profit if you had the system at launch. People were killed for PS3s. It was constrained until after Christmas where demand dropped like a rock.

Rolf NB

If we put the 10+ million number a side for a bit and only look at what the PS3 sold after 5 and 6 years, i also didnt get the impression that most people where expecting these numbers (7.2m and 8.5m respectively as you mention) either after the PS3 being 5-6 years on the market. If most people were, then i definitelly didnt see much (if any?) mention of it, at least from what i can remember. I followed the Media Create threads for a pretty good amount back in 2007/2008, so this is not something that i would completely forget. And just to be clear, i'm just telling my understanding and going by what i saw and remember. I'm not saying that basically everyone didnt predict these numbers (or close to them), and i'm not giving a key answer to what most people expected back then what the PS3 would end up selling in total.
If you predicted accurate trajectories for Wii and PS3 back in 2007, you were banned for trolling. Ask me about it.

saichi

So when the Wii and the PS2 were supply constrained, there was never a single unit on store shelves until they were no longer supply constrained then? Or is such concept perhaps entirely relative and not absolute? Yes PS4 was available at some stores in some regions this week but it was still supply constrained.

Do I think it would do amazing numbers if it wasn't? No not particularly. I also don't expect it to do amazing numbers in the future but it was supply constrained. I don't understand why that's so hard to accept

Don't know about PS2 but you can't find Wii on store shelves. It would be completely sold out everywhere.

test_account

XP-39C²
If you predicted accurate trajectories for Wii and PS3 back in 2007, you were banned for trolling. Ask me about it.
This is basically how i also remember it (well, not necessarily that you would get banned hehe :p But that if someone predicted a higher number for the PS3 and a lower number for the Wii, then there would most likely be some discussion about it).

L Thammy

Also I'm not even sure what this massive PS3 discussion is about and what it's meant to relate to in the current data...?

I think it's based on the idea that the PS3's future couldn't be judged from launch, so the PS4's can't be.

So a 50k second week somehow means PS4 won't sell more than PS3 in 5-6 years time?

Some of you guys are extrapolating way too hard. I do wonder how many people in the previous MC threads thought this about the PS3 and its poor first year and how many were surprised to see it end at 10 million.

Don't know about PS2 but you can't find Wii on store shelves. It would be completely sold out everywhere.

It was hard to find a Wii on shelves and took people upwards of a year and half or longer to get one. Yes that is entirely correct. But the simple fact that they were selling consoles at all means they were in fact in stock at certain locations at various times.

Regardless the PS4 at best was supply constrained, not "sold out". The fact that consoles were available doesn't preclude the notion that it was supply constrained.

Technically there should have been about 150K Wiis in the Japanese channel/stores at the end of 2006 (shipment 1.14M, Famitsu 990K)? Although I imagine they were snapped up pretty quickly.
I think it's based on the idea that the PS3's future couldn't be judged from launch, so the PS4's can't be.
Well, that's kind of a "duh" statement. What's to dispute about it? There are very general inclinations one can draw, but from two weeks' data making unwavering projections of lifetime trends is a bit foolish. And in general, all projections should be viewed that if new data comes in they should be modified.

Reading through the thread, it seems to me that a lot of the analysis of PS4's position is built on equivocal data. What I mean is that what we actually know isn't sufficient to decide one way or the other. Especially odd are the assertions that it wasn't supply constrained, when it clearly was. Indeed, evidence indicates that it was heavily constrained.

1. At the end of last week, PS4 was not available online at Amazon, Rakuten, or Joshin. It was not available at Bic Camera's website, nor at least one of their stores (Ikebukuro). It wasn't available at almost any Yodobashi stores. For Yamada Denki, at least one store had limited stock.
2. Famitsu says it was supply constrained.

A few individuals seeing consoles in stores (I believe we had 3 such reports?) doesn't attenuate the conclusion much at all.

Another thing I think is being used beyond its significance is the deleted retailer blog saying the second shipment of PS4 was around 50k. This is being added to the first shipment estimates from the trackers (350-380k), with the result that week 2 sell-through falls short of week 2 shipments by ~50k. There are two things that make this conclusion shaky, I feel.

First, consider where a retailer's estimate of a nationwide shipment would have to come from. He'd compare the first and second shipments his store received (or his whole chain if he has those numbers) to find a percentage decrease. Then he'd apply that factor to the tracker-estimated overall first shipment. Obviously, there's a lot of room for slop in this calculation.

But the second point is more crucial. What a retailer sees as separate shipments almost always comes out of a single manufacturer shipment. Factories don't send product straight to stores, not even if they're located down the street. Instead they ship to DCs (distribution centers), which breakdown large volumes and disperse them to retailers. So what that retailer saw as a "second shipment" of 50k might already have been included in the tracker estimates of Sony's first shipment (i.e. the 350-380k was still being distributed on days 3 to 9). This receives some support from the fact that the trackers had different week 1 sales, but after week 2 their totals converged very closely, added to the evidence of heavy constraint above. (Also consider the coincidence of a 50k second shipment and a 50k sell-through shortfall in the opposite narrative: did Sony know exactly how many to restock by?)

All this adds to a situation that I think is far more underdetermined than people acknowledge. Based on what we know, the statement "PS4 is doing very well in Japan" is just as supported as "PS4 is faltering in Japan".

Also regarding that Penny Arcade comic I just want to point out that despite anecdotes of PS3 availability during the first holiday in America, the system was indeed supply constrained and not available in a significant portion of the country. If supply wasn't an issue then sales would've collapsed in January the way it did for Wii U and to a much lesser extent the Xbox One. Instead it did over 240k and collapsed the following month after demand was met.

TheChaos0

That soul sacrifice sounds terrible here. Not to mention this week, we just get valhalla knights expansion right? How many party raid game did they hope vita owners will buy here?

Terrible in what sense. Those preorder numbers are pretty close, it may do pretty good numbers for an expansion.

Valhala Knights and Soul Sacrifice are pretty different games, there's some genre overlap but I don't see how it's that much different from having 2 RPGs come out near each other. I can agree that they are grindy in nature, once you complete singleplayer (SS actually has a good one) and I can buy that people would concentrate on one game until they have grinded enough but I don't think it'll hurt sales, because it's not MH. SS is a more popular game anyways.

Top Bottom