• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Turrican or Super Metroid?

Super Metroid (Snes) or Mega Turrican (GEN)?

• Total voters
Two of the most praised games on the Mega Genesis and Super Nintendo by fans. Some considering them among the best games ever made. Showcasing some of the best both consoles had to offer, but seldom compared until now.

Which do you crown best?

Mega Turrican, or

Intro

gameplay

Super Metroid

Intro

Gameplay

Looking back SM was pretty stiff with a lack of animation to the characters, weapons, and enemies, and worse music. But it was a longer and a more colorful game than MT.

Those final boss videos are completely different. Samus just stands there half the time. Two frame animation mother brain, where in the other game purple guy and Turrican are in a furious intense battle in comparison.

MT intro is better too with jamming audio.

Last edited:

Kilau

What's better, Super Met...

Red Button Push GIF by RTL 4

-Zelda-

Banned
Can the MT character not aim straight up or at upwards and downwards angles? If not, then he loses. You can do that in Super Metroid and even Contra. I hate the way music sounds on genesis games also.

Such an odd comparison, but I guess if your looking strictly at graphics/animations maybe there’s a comparison there. But the game isn’t exclusive to Sega, there is also 2 Turrican games on the SNES which I’m sure your aware of. But Metroid.

Ozzie666

Obviously, SM is going to win this. Mega Turrican is a technical marvel and not just because it's on the Genesis/Mega-drive.
The games are too different compare really.

Might be better to debate/compare Super Turrican vs Mega vs Amiga Turrican 3. That's a real conversation.

Turrican 2 is the clear winner though.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Man, all my life, I've wanted to be into Turrican, yet every time I try one of the games... it just doesn't work for me.

Yeah, crazy how bad SM final boss is compared to MT.

I guess that's a point for MT, but that's just a teleporting boss (after its initial attack as a gigantic head background tile,) with varying weapon patterns. Not all that exciting either.

I think Super Metroid's ending grabs you not because it's so intense, but because you weren't expecting it at the time. Metroid 1's boss was a brain in a jar that you shot at while avoiding defenses, and this ending does that but also goes to this big moving boss (with cool movement effects on its neck) and then the Metroid comes in, and you just have no clue what the heck is going to happen at any point or if you're going to survive it (because of course there will also probably be a time-escape ending!) Metroid has that RPG-style life meter system, and so in a horror-style final encounter, there's great tension about whether you will have enough energy to survive all the finale even though you came in fully-stocked and might be doing well at any given point.

So I mean sure, it's a giant stick-figure boss that just stands there sometimes as you shoot missiles at it from right to left... but the full experience of the Super Metroid finale is unforgettable.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Im a huge Sega fan...but this is an obvious troll...prob a Nintendo fanboy

Just SM's intro is better than the entirety of MT

Last edited:
Man, all my life, I've wanted to be into Turrican, yet every time I try one of the games... it just doesn't work for me.

I guess that's a point for MT, but that's just a teleporting boss (after its initial attack as a gigantic head background tile,) with varying weapon patterns. Not all that exciting either.

I think Super Metroid's ending grabs you not because it's so intense, but because you weren't expecting it at the time. Metroid 1's boss was a brain in a jar that you shot at while avoiding defenses, and this ending does that but also goes to this big moving boss (with cool movement effects on its neck) and then the Metroid comes in, and you just have no clue what the heck is going to happen at any point or if you're going to survive it (because of course there will also probably be a time-escape ending!) Metroid has that RPG-style life meter system, and so in a horror-style final encounter, there's great tension about whether you will have enough energy to survive all the finale even though you came in fully-stocked and might be doing well at any given point.

So I mean sure, it's a giant stick-figure boss that just stands there sometimes as you shoot missiles at it from right to left... but the full experience of the Super Metroid finale is unforgettable.

I think it's hard to say this if you are unfamiliar with MT and what leads up to the ending and last boss.

MT is awesome, but I rented fucking SM for so long, that I could have just bought the fucking game, lol.... Which I did end up doing. So, there is that.

This has nothing to do with anything but I got my copy of Super Metroid out of one of those third party repacked games at a rental store. 99% of them were sports games but a gem was waiting to be uncovered. Not a bad way to spend $10 25+ years ago

Barakov

Mega Turrican is fantastic. Just reminds everyone that the Sega Genesis had some bangers. But SNES had more. Super Metroid is an all time classic. It's on a completely whole other level.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You really fault the animation of Mother Brain then try to say "purple guy" (great boss) is so much better with one of his phases being a giant face with blinking eyes and then literally one normal and one attack frame with his full body despite being a small rather than a multi segment, moving, rotating, screen filling sprite? Love the choice of videos too, HD 60fps for one's battle, 240p (obviously youtube's badly compressed/uploaded 240p rather than pristine native 224p CRT quality) crazy bad video missing frames all over for the other's. And shitty emulator filters for its intro video, lol.

Last edited:

cireza

How about both ?

By the way, I would recommend people listen to the Sub Terrania soundtrack. It has great atmosphere and would fit Metroid quite well. Awesome work from Jesper Kyd.

Last edited:
Obviously, SM is going to win this. Mega Turrican is a technical marvel and not just because it's on the Genesis/Mega-drive.
The games are too different compare really.

Might be better to debate/compare Super Turrican vs Mega vs Amiga Turrican 3. That's a real conversation.

Turrican 2 is the clear winner though.
Oh yeah it’s a marvel, let’s not forget these Turrican games are developed by the good folks at Factor 5.
They went from Turrican to Star Wars then to that dragon game that shall never be named…

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The 6 people who voted turrican should be permanently banned for the good of society.
Possibly castrated.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Weird poll.

Mega Turrican (which is a port of Turrican 3) isn't even considered the best Turrican game. That honor goes to Turrican 2, by the majority of Amiga fans. Turrican 2 also shares more similarities to Metroid since it has bigger levels with some exploration involved. That would be a more sane comparison, though it still doesn't come close to the masterpiece Super Metroid is.

Also, that Mega Turrican intro is a classic example of European artists failing to mimic anime/manga.

Lastly, if you really like Mega Turrican's soundtrack, you need to listen to the SNES version (Super Turrican) or the original Amiga Turrican 3. Both sound better than the Genesis version, which sounds pretty good considering.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Huh....I mean...come on now. Really? Guys what's better Elden Ring or The Surge?!

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You really fault the animation of Mother Brain then try to say "purple guy" (great boss) is so much better with one of his phases being a giant face with blinking eyes and then literally one normal and one attack frame with his full body despite being a small rather than a multi segment, moving, rotating, screen filling sprite? Love the choice of videos too, HD 60fps for one's battle, 240p (obviously youtube's badly compressed/uploaded 240p rather than pristine native 224p CRT quality) crazy bad video missing frames all over for the other's. And shitty emulator filters for its intro video, lol.
X'aind Sleena is older, better and cooler than Turrican btw, look at those space and landing/taking off sequences, we need a sequel to that, a bit less coin-opy and more seamless a la Metroid, kinda like Prime 3 meets modern 2D Metroid to kinda do the original planet hopping adventure justice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fuz

jaysius

Banned
OOh, it's like the bot that makes those awful Game of The Year matchup threads is making new threads now.

Whats next? Super Mario Bros 3 or God Of War 2018?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
X'aind Sleena is older, better and cooler than Turrican btw, look at those space and landing/taking off sequences, we need a sequel to that, a bit less coin-opy and more seamless a la Metroid, kinda like Prime 3 meets modern 2D Metroid to kinda do the original planet hopping adventure justice.

scratching-my-ears-matty-matheson.gif

Turrican II on the Amiga is an all-time classic, that would have been a better comparison, tho you'd still be comparing apples to fucking bananas. They're very different games. If you feel like playing a 2D sidescrolling run 'n gun, then you'll go with Turrican II. Mega Turrican is a great video game, but it's not in the top 15 Sega Mega Drive games, while Super Metroid is easily top 10 SNES.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned

Man, I love this game.

Top Bottom