• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Haha sheeeeet, Ive got on the low fade wagon without even realising it!

Badly needed a cut of any kind so went to a local place where its only £6, cos fuck it I just needed rid of the puff salt and peppers sides!
Took this pic that I found on some tumbler as it was the only one not a insane looking undercut with a huge comb over swirling fringe thing
It turned out ok all things considered.

Edit: This isnt me Below haha

SH4NI3c.jpg

Can attempt to take a pic tomorrow, but I had the sides done and just said take the ends off the top, as the weight is what stops the hair on my crown going vertical.

So low fade with a pushed over fringe I guess.

Tom_Cody

That cut looks amazing, but you have the face for it.

Your hair is always dope bro.
Thanks.

Haha sheeeeet, Ive got on the low fade wagon without even realising it!
Lol, I guess I did as well. I didn't realize this was a thing until I went back and read the last few pages.

199?-2010: Years of skater wings and hair straighteners
2011-12: Years of bangs
2013: Year of the undercut
2014: Year of the low fade
Apparently so.

j5yzIZk7sFeIR.JPG

Middle is likely a high fade with a side part.
The other side of my cut looks this pic.

Rookje

Middle is likely a high fade with a side part.

jbcRpjnYbjN6tF.PNG

Meh, idk. It looks good on that guy, and at that angle... but that style is really annoying to maintain. As soon as part fade grows out you get the parts that spike up. Also depending on how narrow/wide your head is, the amount of hair on top can look like a toupet. (Similar to people who get the undercut that look like roosters)

I also don't really dig being hog tied to a side part. I'd like to see some low fade inspo that doesn't have a side part.

If I got a low fade (and I might), it would just be the sides and back, and the top would remain around ~5-3 inches with some texture/dishevelling. I can't find a really good example of that though.

jesalr

My hair has started getting really wavy again, it's about 3 inches on the top, and a couple of centimetres on the sides and back. Any ideas on what I could do with it?

Instead of a disconnected undercut, it is tapered into the long section with a tight low fade. The top section is shorter and thinned out so it is more of a pompadour shape vs. sitting flat/slicked-down over the top of my head. Also, on the opposite side, she cut it shorter and styled it with a part; the consequence of this is that it now pulls to the left and the right somewhat instead of going straight back. I like it, though I think I will modify it a bit the next time I get it cut.

Here is the end result, though I realize in hindsight this picture is kind of useless for showing the details of the style:

I've got a doozy for you guys. Think of it like one of those home disaster reality shows...

I've basically been getting the same fucking haircut since high school and I want to try something different, and I'm digging this a lot. Not sure if I can pull it off though as my head/face is pretty round. I don't think I'd take that much off the sides though, I usually get a size 4 clip done on the sides/back and tried a 3 last time and preferred it. I may go down to a 2...and if it looks awful then I'll at least know. I mostly just don't know what to do to the top, I have a shitload of hair.

What product do you use Tom_Cody? My hair is thick and gets curly/wavy as it gets longer which is always a pain in the ass to style after a couple weeks following the cut. It also gets really frizzy after showering which is extremely annoying. I also recently stopped shampooing as often and that's helped, though.

I'll snap a pic of how it looks now next time I take a break, it's basically a disaster haha, and could really use some suggestions.

Edit:

And yeah I know I need to shave too. Looks horrendous right now, but was lazy before work today. Save me from myself, hair-gaf...

While I'm on that note, any suggestions for hair/beard trimmers? Mine's on it's way out.

Tom_Cody

I've got a doozy for you guys. Think of it like one of those home disaster reality shows...

I've basically been getting the same fucking haircut since high school and I want to try something different, and I'm digging this a lot. Not sure if I can pull it off though as my head/face is pretty round. I don't think I'd take that much off the sides though, I usually get a size 4 clip done on the sides/back and tried a 3 last time and preferred it. I may go down to a 2...and if it looks awful then I'll at least know. I mostly just don't know what to do to the top, I have a shitload of hair.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone's personal style is different. I would just try to go to good stylist/barber and talk it over with them before the cut. If you want something with a little more style, go to a place that matches the vibe of what you are going for. Also, if you are going somewhere new, I would recommended that you try to dress the part somewhat. I have definitely found that stylists react/behave differently if I go in work clothes vs. casual clothes. If you go to a hipster salon/barber as you are pictured (with your work polo) they are definitely going to tend to give you a more conservative cut. But maybe that's what you want? Again, style is personal.

The only clear bit of advice I have is that I would try to create a distinction between the top and the back/sides. In those pictures it looks like your hair is one solid shape. Some disconnection would be good, even if you don't go for a full disconnected undercut or fade.

What product do you use Tom_Cody? My hair is thick and gets curly/wavy as it gets longer which is always a pain in the ass to style after a couple weeks following the cut. It also gets really frizzy after showering which is extremely annoying. I also recently stopped shampooing as often and that's helped, though.
nDfg9CB.jpg

I use Baxter's clay pomade, though I think our hair is kind of different. My hair super thick but it's also straight. If I don't use a product like that it will just stick straight out from my head until it gets to be a few inches long. I experimented with a lot of types of products before I came upon the type that works for me. It also obviously depends on how you want to style it.

Cool, thanks. Looking through the thread I've found some styles I dig that might work for me. A friend suggested I check out his stylist so I'll probably set an appointment for tomorrow. Might as well start trying things and if it doesn't look good, I'll try again next time.

Found a well-reviewed salon not too far from me and tried it out today, the result:

Feeling pretty good about it considering how awful it was before and I had no idea what I wanted to do. I felt good about this stylist just trying out what she wanted, so will go back next time and keep trying new things.

My head just has a really weird shape and I have so much fucking hair, was glad I was able to get something at least decent out of it.

I guess yeah. Showed her some examples from the thread that I liked and just let her run with it. I'm pretty happy with the result and will keep trying to find the right style.

Kinda looks the same just shorter? They probably just played it safe.

Either way, I think it looks good :)

Got my haircut the other day.

Feel okay about it. Normally I get a high blend with a shaved in part. I had him take the blend all the way to the tip top and then had him shave in the part. I didnt take anything off the top. Longest my hair has been (pretty long without product). Normally I have them take a little off / clean it up.. The only thing is that it is swooping a bit too much on the right which you can see on the shot of me looking straight forward. :-/

Images are huge.. so using quotes to reduce their size.

Shaved in parts are still the best. best best best.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Had my Asian hair permed for the first time. Never going back.

Hair finally has some texture and volume to it rather than just sitting flat and straight now.

Illustrated here by me being a douchebag on the right (obvs):
2_7TWtPi.jpeg

I've had an undercut for about a year and a half and, as I've posted about a few times, I've been itching to try something different. I went to my (Polish, lesbian, hipster) barber over the weekend and I told her that I wanted to do something different and, lacking any useful ideas of my own, I asked her to just try to think of something. She was clearly thinking as she was cutting and it was interesting go back and forth with her about different ideas/shapes/styles.

Instead of a disconnected undercut, it is tapered into the long section with a tight low fade. The top section is shorter and thinned out so it is more of a pompadour shape vs. sitting flat/slicked-down over the top of my head. Also, on the opposite side, she cut it shorter and styled it with a part; the consequence of this is that it now pulls to the left and the right somewhat instead of going straight back. I like it, though I think I will modify it a bit the next time I get it cut.

Here is the end result, though I realize in hindsight this picture is kind of useless for showing the details of the style:

That looks pretty decent. Reinforces my opinion that people with round faces should stay the hell away from an undercut.

Mind providing a picture of the other side?

JEKKI

Feel okay about it. Normally I get a high blend with a shaved in part. I had him take the blend all the way to the tip top and then had him shave in the part. I didnt take anything off the top. Longest my hair has been (pretty long without product). Normally I have them take a little off / clean it up.. The only thing is that it is swooping a bit too much on the right which you can see on the shot of me looking straight forward. :-/
nice hair! what does blend mean??

my hair grew longer and looks bad again, but since I cut it very asymmetrical last time I dont know how to fix it..

think I'm jus gonna shave it all off and start all over -_-

Rookje

Kinda looks the same just shorter? They probably just played it safe.

Either way, I think it looks good :)

Images are huge.. so using quotes to reduce their size.

Shaved in parts are still the best. best best best.

Looks good, but it looks a bit too hard/geled for my taste. I would condition, towel dry, blow dry on low speed/high heat where you comb it (so where its parted), spray with some water or "prep solution", then style with a matte product (sumotech or some clay). It just lacks texture.

Looks good, but it looks a bit too hard/geled for my taste. I would condition, towel dry, blow dry on low speed/high heat where you comb it (so where its parted), spray with some water or "prep solution", then style with a matte product (sumotech or some clay). It just lacks texture.

Good note. Will try that tomorrow.

The top is just really long and asian hair tends to go crazy without the proper product. Been using some pomade but i may add it then blow dry and come through it for that extra volume.

Revoh

I cut my hair every two months or so. I always go with a buzzcut because I don't really know what to do. I'm at the point where I want to get a haircut again, this is me after a buzzcut:
Y6jDMwg.png

This is me right now, ignore the homeless looking beard, it's in the making :3
0dWywuz.png

6ORaDbo.png

2YEXZIT.png

I love the feeling of having the sides and back shaved but this time I would like to keep my hair on top but I don't know if it's long enough to properly style it. What can you guys recommend me?

I'm looking to change it up with my hair, but I don't have any new ideas.

I'd like the opinions of the HairGAF thread.

http://imgur.com/a/1fEIv#izwGFu6

Would dying it dark brown or getting a crew cut help? I'm having trouble trying not to look so old. A girl on one date said I looked 30 @_@

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'm looking to change it up with my hair, but I don't have any new ideas.

I'd like the opinions of the HairGAF thread.

http://imgur.com/a/1fEIv#izwGFu6

Would dying it dark brown or getting a crew cut help? I'm having trouble trying not to look so old. A girl on one date said I looked 30 @_@

Isn't that already dark brown? I believe facial hair ages any face, especially that particular style. If your work permits it, I would either trim everything to a stubble like length or shave it. For a subtle change in hairstyle, maybe try growing out the top a bit more, and asking for your stylist to add texture to it. They will cut it kind of choppy, and recommend a wax or clay product.

Isn't that already dark brown? I believe facial hair ages any face, especially that particular style. If your work permits it, I would either trim everything to a stubble like length or shave it. For a subtle change in hairstyle, maybe try growing out the top a bit more, and asking for your stylist to add texture to it. They will cut it kind of choppy, and recommend a wax or clay product.

It's black with some dark brown hairs. I've never dyed my hair before, but the appeal of having one color instead of a mish mash appeals to me.

The stubble will be gone, but the comment was made when I just had a 5 o'clock shadow.

Stylist? I go to an old school Russian barber. Ive never done the hairstylist places, they can get pretty pricy.

JEKKI

nice hair! what does blend mean??
I still dont kno what blend means lol.

I also still hate my hair:

mirror selfie btw, so the actual look is reverse.

one side sticks out too much (the short side that isnt getting combed down) and I dont know how I'd fix the asymmetry...

I'm ready to give up... just shave it all off and start over again.

Rookje

I cut my hair every two months or so. I always go with a buzzcut because I don't really know what to do. I'm at the point where I want to get a haircut again, this is me after a buzzcut:
Y6jDMwg.png

This is me right now, ignore the homeless looking beard, it's in the making :3
0dWywuz.png

6ORaDbo.png

2YEXZIT.png

I love the feeling of having the sides and back shaved but this time I would like to keep my hair on top but I don't know if it's long enough to properly style it. What can you guys recommend me?

Grow your hair out.

Get this:

I still dont kno what blend means lol.

I also still hate my hair:

mirror selfie btw, so the actual look is reverse.

one side sticks out too much (the short side that isnt getting combed down) and I dont know how I'd fix the asymmetry...

I'm ready to give up... just shave it all off and start over again.

Blend is pretty much fade. Take a shorter hair line and blending it with a longer hair line that is usually above it and make it seem natural as opposed it to just being jarring and going from shaved short to suddenly long hair.

RE: Your hair

You have asian hair. Welcome to asian hair problems. It appears that you want to do a comb over style with a heavy part. I recommend keeping the sides consistently short doing so. But that also means you have to prepared to have short hair on the sides. Asian hair always tends to spike out and never lays flat unfortunately so keeping it short is a good alternative.

The only other way would be to grow out and go for the more typical asian styles (i personally hate them)

I get my haircut every 2-3 weeks now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
OP is great, but could use some pics for those of us who don't know what the hell certain hairstyles are called.

Can I get some suggestions for a good short hair style?

overcast

Hair is curly and stubborn, when it hits mid length I'm more than okay with it. The front of it seems to not.. bunch together? Don't really know how to explain it. It just has a bunch of strands that want to go their own way.

JEKKI

You have asian hair. Welcome to asian hair problems. It appears that you want to do a comb over style with a heavy part. I recommend keeping the sides consistently short doing so. But that also means you have to prepared to have short hair on the sides. Asian hair always tends to spike out and never lays flat unfortunately so keeping it short is a good alternative.
lol my friend was saying the same thing! asian hair!

except my friend shaves his head all the time so he doesnt even deal with it lol.

regardless like I said... it's coming off!! all of it! tomorrow!

it's getting hot anyways, but I'll definitely start over, keep growing it, and see where it goes from there.

Got an undercut recently (usually just do a fade in the sides) and I think it looks decent but I need some product to get it straight as I have curly hair which makes it look a bit silly if not dealt with. Any recommendations? Have generally just used creme to keep my hair under control but this needs something stronger. Or maybe a particular way to style the curls?

Tantalus

Neo Member

Haircut tomorrow. I've had this same messy thing for around 8 years now (since I was 12), so I'm scared but excited at the idea of trying something new. Any thoughts? Hopefully the pic is helpful

Rookje

Haircut tomorrow. I've had this same messy thing for around 8 years now (since I was 12), so I'm scared but excited at the idea of trying something new. Any thoughts? Hopefully the pic is helpful
If you like that type of haircut you can go for something like this. Its not a lot of length removal, just texturing and product. Go to a salon and bring the picture.

So I'm getting a haircut tommorrow (haven't gotten one since... 3 months ago!), and I'm not sure of what to do. Should I go with an undercut, like I generally do? This is a pic of me last month with hair product:

And this one is last week without anything in them.
They rarely look as good as this tho.
:

Thinking of going with something like these or in between

H1AsTkj.jpg

7icRF9S.jpg

I know they're a little popular these days, but I think they are relatively safe haircuts that will look good most of the time. What do you guys think? Here's what I normally rock :

wrQQful.jpg

whitehawk

Banned
So my regular barber quit I guess and had to go with some random guy. He cut my hair so quickly and didn't put any effort into it. He cut the sides too short. Blagh. Now it's like a full on undercut which is what I didn't like. My hair is too think and curly for this haircut I think anyway. It doesn't want to stay anywhere.

I think I might go somewhere else and cut most of it off, tomorrow but before I do, is there a way to salvage this?

mDW95rWl.jpg

ETAWRGll.jpg

whitehawk

Banned
eh, it's actually better once my hair dried. I guess I'll stick with it for now and it should be alright when my sides grow in a bit more.

So my regular barber quit I guess and had to go with some random guy. He cut my hair so quickly and didn't put any effort into it. He cut the sides too short. Blagh. Now it's like a full on undercut which is what I didn't like. My hair is too think and curly for this haircut I think anyway. It doesn't want to stay anywhere.

I think I might go somewhere else and cut most of it off, tomorrow but before I do, is there a way to salvage this?

mDW95rWl.jpg

ETAWRGll.jpg

Need to see the rest, but I'd taper / fade it all up. It'll look pretty good. Also, try to volumize a bit, as it lays pretty flat right now.

Kraftwerk

Got my American Crew Pomade today. I have used the bIber before, but decided to use the pomade since I have heard good things about it.

Prologue

Been getting caesar/army cuts forever. Trying to do something new now and its all very intimidating. So many styles and then theres choosing a barber/salon ._.

Top Bottom