• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merely talking about racism isn't harmful. Why do people think that it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

When did treating people with basic respect become a political opinion?

when the right made it one, and rallied opposition against it

little did they realize that the people they pejoratively called "social justice warriors" would get to say mean things back to them

Infinite

I apologize to Heroman and Deepwater - I'm not ignoring you, I just don't think I should quote everyone lol

I don't think you are wrong, but I think that's moving towards a different discussion. Does *all* racism need to be focused on the actions of white people? Does their privilege have to be at the root of all discussions? I think it's its own topic.

Maybe I'm simply not getting it, or maybe I'm just not able to get my point across. Or maybe I'm just stubborn, but I don't want to be. I do read everyone's reply towards me and I do try to understand it - and by and large, I agree with all of what you've all said. However, When someone tells me "let's talk about racism", I want to hear about the Mexican dude that called a black person the N word, or the other way around where a black person calls all hispanics beaners. Or how we're all hating on Asians because we think they're racist towards all but white people because of stereotypes. Sure, I will also want to hear about how a white person is racist even if they don't really mean it - if we want to talk about racism in general, all parties need to be called out on their BS, and hopefully have a discussion on what can be done by everyone to make it better.

White privilege and racism is important for sure, but it's exhausting to see it at the forefront of every discussion, like it's the only thing that exists, while everything else gets ignored.

Also, it isn't only white people that are fragile. Plenty of people from all races get all defensive and hurt / mad when you bring up how people from their race are also racists. I think that's just human nature though, to not want to confront the ugly side of you.

You're thinking about this discussion the wrong way. Go back and read the OP. OP is asking why is talking about racism harmful to some people? Those examples you bring up of people shouting racial slurs at each other is something everyone who considers themselves a good person and acknowledges that racism is bad can see as being fucked up. That's not the conversation people check out of that OP is talking about. The harder conversations around race and racism seem to almost always center around back to systemic racism and whiteness. It's easier to say to talk about how much of a bad guy someone is if they call someone a nigger it's much harder to talk about how black people as an example are systematically disenfranchised

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Push harder, continue to to be a bunch nasty fucking children and you'll never get what you want. Hypocritical twats.
d9oFgTQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom