• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merge of Discovery and Warner Bros. renders PlayStation licensing agreement worthless. (Up: new licensing agreement, shows will not be removed)

Three

Well I'd imagine it works like retail no? Sony being the distributor? What's going on in this case?
What's going on in this case is that the copyright owner does not ask for money from consumers to download a product over a term, only to sell it for a fixed term. it's not like a subscription where it goes up for a fixed period and they need to renew to keep it on a paid subscription but in either case the copyright owner still retains the right to remove the license at any time.
The only reason you would remove something for sale or download is if you had some competing store/streaming agreement or goal in place which prevented it. Otherwise what exactly are you gaining as the copyright holder?

Ronin_7

Banned
They've made and/or agreed to the deal. So they are sure as hell at fault as well.
No it ain't.

I mean it's mode to blame Sony or Microsoft these days but it won't make your life any better mate.

Be better, this is 100% merger entity fault.

Chastten

Banned
Between stuff like this and the fact every publisher now has their own streaming service, I've happily gone back to pirating for most movies and tv-shows. Most large coorperations are a bunch of scumbags so I don't even feel sorry for 'em. The entire world turned into nickle and diming everything.

I have a Crunchyroll subscription because I wanna support anime but even then I've started a blu-ray collection for the stuff I really like. And I have everything I like also on an external harddrive just in case.

Drew1440

Thankfully I never brought a movie/show through an online store, always made sense to buy a physical copy. Though for more niche/reality shows, having a physical copy isn't really feasible.
I remember when this used to happen to online music stores when they lost the rights to an album, the official advice was to burn the purchased tracks to an audio CD, which will be your backup copy. Not sure how you can hook up a PS4 to a VHS/DVD recorder.

Lunarorbit

honestly I read these sorts of articles and my first thought is to pirate, not buy discs. If these companies are not going to respect our purchases and our spending then why should we even do it.
Yup. Hbo/discovery/timewarner have been sold so many times you can't trust people at these companies to give any shits about digital customers.

HBO used to mean quality but so much fuckery has happened in the last decade. At some point congress is going to pass legislation about digital rights for consumers.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why does it matter where and what digital content you buy?
If you paid for it, it's yours to keep and it should transfer from one gen to the next.
I have tons of TV shows on Xbox, because it was on sale and it's convenient to play old content on one box.
Apparently it isn't yours to keep and it doesn't transfer, though. We're having a whole thread about it.

It matters where you buy digital content because licensing rights for film and TV are way too complicated to trust building libraries of it on platforms that do not outright own the rights. The fact that content someone bought and paid for can simply be taken away because of contract disputes completely unrelated to your purchase just puts a pin in it.

Tams

That's a huge bummer.

I've been getting into buying movies on the Xbox store recently. Some of the sales are insane. Blows away anything I've seen on Amazon or Google store. I haven't paid more than $5 for a movie or full TV season to own. Most stuff is $4-6 to rent once these days.

"Own".

FunkMiller

Gold Member

All digital purchases should be regarded as rentals for an indefinite period of time.

There's actually only one way you can have something digitally, and be guaranteed that you own it for as long as you like, and that's called piracy.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
All digital purchases should be regarded as rentals for an indefinite period of time.
They really should. It's unfortunate, but you have to be ok with losing access digital content managed by a third party when you buy on their platform. Doesn't matter whether it's movies, music or games.

The only time I buy digital movies is when it's cheaper to buy it than it is to rent it and then I don't care if it goes away.Happens quite often on Amazon Prime where it's 3 bucks to buy a movie on sale but 4 or 5 to rent it.

I know that one day I'll lose access to digital game purchases I made, which is why I normally only buy digital games at deep discounts. If I paid 10 bucks and I had a good time then it's not a big deal if it were to go away. Games seem to be more stable at the moment than digital tv, movies or music, though. I currently still have access to all of the digital games I paid for from PS360 gen to now aside from a handful of small virtual console games I bought on the Wii shop. All of my Steam games are still there, too. I expect that one day Sony is going to pull the plug on being able to re-download my old PS3 digital games and I'll be annoyed. But I probably won't have anything working to play them on by that time, anyway.

Last edited:

radewagon

People keep saying it's not Sony's fault but it is. It's up to Sony to hammer out the details of their licensing agreements on behalf of their customers BEFORE selling them something.

Sony is definitely to be blamed as well for not signing a better deal that would protect their customers in a situation like this. Normally when something's delisted due to licencing issues those who already paid for it should still be able to use it.

They've made and/or agreed to the deal. So they are sure as hell at fault as well.

It's too early to tell, but I don't think it's quite that simple. I'd imagine that almost every contract a provider makes with a license-holder having to do with digital licensing has some sort of escape clause that's just standard boiler plate language like "reserves the right to blah blah blah." The contract we make with Sony when we buy digital content would have similar language as well. Those of us who are critical of the all-digital future are critical exactly for reasons like this. It's always been, basically, the honor system.

My guess is that Warner/Discovery is making use of bog-standard contract language that everyone in the business just assumes no one would be dumb enough to actually use. It's crazy to think that any license-holder would ever sign a contract ensuring that the content provider has an unlimited right to provide content that they do not own. Sony likely signed a perfectly normal and industry standard agreement that is being abused by a notoriously foolish and prudish company.

Seriously, Warner/Discovery killed a Batgirl Movie, Close Enough, and fricken' Mystery Train. Until there is evidence to the contrary, I will put all blame on them exclusively.

Hudo

I mean it's mode to blame Sony or Microsoft these days but it won't make your life any better mate.
I cannot even begin to describe how little I care about any of this. If it makes you (and other in this thread as well, it seems) feel any better: Yeah, 100% not Sony's fault.

Doesn't matter in the end because the consumer is fucked anyway. And Sony, as much as it must hurt some people to hear this, are at the tail end of this because they are the ones selling this shit on their platform. So they get the blame.

Edit: The real solution to all of this is for consumers to tell every company to fuck off with some digital service bullshit. But that won't happen.

Last edited:
What's going on in this case is that the copyright owner does not ask for money from consumers to download a product over a term, only to sell it for a fixed term. it's not like a subscription where it goes up for a fixed period and they need to renew to keep it on a paid subscription but in either case the copyright owner still retains the right to remove the license at any time.
The only reason you would remove something for sale or download is if you had some competing store/streaming agreement or goal in place which prevented it. Otherwise what exactly are you gaining as the copyright holder?
Right so what agreement would Sony have had with the copyright holder that has now changed? Isn't there a responsibility from whomever you've made the purchase from to safeguard your rights as a consumer? I mean people have spent their money and are now having that item taken away. I'm just curious how this works with say Steam? Or is that different in some way?

Three

Right so what agreement would Sony have had with the copyright holder that has now changed? Isn't there a responsibility from whomever you've made the purchase from to safeguard your rights as a consumer? I mean people have spent their money and are now having that item taken away. I'm just curious how this works with say Steam? Or is that different in some way?
It's the same for steam. If the copyright holder wishes they can have their copyrighted content removed from your library. It's not steams fault

reinking

Gold Member
I cannot even begin to describe how little I care about any of this. If it makes you (and other in this thread as well, it seems) feel any better: Yeah, 100% not Sony's fault.

Doesn't matter in the end because the consumer is fucked anyway. And Sony, as much as it must hurt some people to hear this, are at the tail end of this because they are the ones selling this shit on their platform. So they get the blame.

Edit: The real solution to all of this is for consumers to tell every company to fuck off with some digital service bullshit. But that won't happen.
People seem to miss the fact that Sony does not own this content either. They have no more control over removing the content than we have over it being removed. It doesn't make me happy. Read almost any user agreement and it is clear that a digital content purchase is nothing more than a long-term rental. Even from your point of view, it is as much your fault as it is theirs because you knowingly (or should have known) that you were purchasing a license agreement that can be revoked at any time. This lies on either the content holder for using their advantage to make agreements temporary, or all of our fault, for going along with it.

..but I agree. I have been saying it for years, this all-digital future is going to be :lollipop_poop::lollipop_poop::lollipop_poop: when it comes to content access and people are jumping for joy that it is the future because of convenience.

Mobilemofo

I warned about this shit time ago. It starts happening periodically, then, next thing you know, your licensed product, you bought, has "expired" / disappeared. Your purchases are essentially long term rentals. Companies need to be made to answer for this. Once we're fully digital, imma buy some quality lube, and start praying twice a day.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
That's a huge bummer.

I've been getting into buying movies on the Xbox store recently. Some of the sales are insane. Blows away anything I've seen on Amazon or Google store. I haven't paid more than $5 for a movie or full TV season to own. Most stuff is $4-6 to rent once these days.
Never understood owning movies anymore in the digital age. I could buy a blu ray for 20+ dollars and watch it 3 times in a row than it could sit for years before I watch again.

Or I could rent it for 2.99 and watch it whenever I want and still be saving money over retail costs

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Never understood owning movies anymore in the digital age. I could buy a blu ray for 20+ dollars and watch it 3 times in a row than it could sit for years before I watch again.

Or I could rent it for 2.99 and watch it whenever I want and still be saving money over retail costs
I explained it. I dont see 2.99 rentals. This is about the same price as a rental.

Post 2 of 2 with the rest of the list. Mythbusters is definitely the biggest loss here.

Machines: How They Work | Season 1
Made by Destruction | Season 1
Mafia's Greatest Hits | Season 1
Mafia's Greatest Hits | Season 2
Mall Cops: Mall of America | Season 1
Man Eating Python of Sulawesi | Season 1
Man v. The Universe | Season 1
Man vs. Wild | Season 1
Man vs. Wild | Season 2
Man vs. Wild | Season 3
Man vs. Wild | Season 4
Man vs. Wild | Season 5
Man vs. Wild | Season 6
Man vs. Wild | Season 7
Man, Woman, Wild | Season 1
Man, Woman, Wild | Season 2
Manhunt: Kill or Capture | Season 1
Manhunt: UNABOMBER | Season 1
Mansions & Murders | Season 1
Mantracker | Season 3
Mantracker | Season 4
Marooned | Season 1
Mega Machines | Season 1
Mega Shippers | Season 1
Melting: Last Race to the Pole | Season 1
Men, Women, Wild | Season 1
Mermaids | Season 1
Meteorite Men | Season 2
Meteorite Men | Season 3
Miami Ink | Season 4
Miami Ink | Season 5
Military Channel Presents | Season 1
Misfit Garage | Season 1
Misfit Garage | Season 3
Misfit Garage | Season 4
Misfit Garage | Season 5
Missions That Changed the War | Season 1
Missions That Changed the War | Season 2
Missions That Changed the War | Season 3
Missions That Changed the War | Season 4
Monster Bug Wars | Season 1
Monster Bug Wars | Season 2
Monsters & Mysteries Unsolved | Season 1
Monsters and Mysteries in America | Season 1
Monsters and Mysteries in America | Season 2
Monsters and Mysteries in America | Season 3
Monsters Inside Me | Season 1
Monsters Inside Me | Season 2
Monsters Inside Me | Season 3
Monsters Inside Me | Season 4
Monsters Inside Me | Season 6
Monsters Inside Me | Season 7
Monsters Inside Me | Season 8
Monsters Underground | Season 1
Moonshiners | Season 1
Moonshiners | Season 2
Moonshiners | Season 3
Moonshiners | Season 4
Moonshiners | Season 5
Moonshiners | Season 6
Moonshiners | Season 7
Mosquito | Season 1
Most Evil | Season 3
Motives & Murders: Cracking the Case | Season 3
Motives & Murders: Cracking the Case | Season 4
Motives & Murders: Cracking the Case | Season 6
Mountain Monsters | Season 1
Mountain Monsters | Season 2
Mountain Monsters | Season 3
Mountain Monsters | Season 4
Mountain Monsters | Season 5
Mud Lovin' Rednecks | Season 1
Murder Among Friends | Season 1
Murder Among Friends | Season 2
Murder Book | Season 1
Murder Book | Season 2
Murder By Numbers | Season 1
Murder Calls | Season 1
Murder Calls | Season 2
Murder Calls | Season 3
Murder in Paradise | Season 1
Murder in Paradise | Season 2
Murder U | Season 1
Mutant Planet | Season 1
Mutant Planet | Season 2
My 600 lb Life | Season 2
My 600 lb Life | Season 4
My 600 lb Life | Season 5
My 600 lb Life | Season 6
My Big Fat Pet Makeover | Season 1
My Crazy Obsession | Season 1
My Crazy Obsession | Season 2
My Dirty Little Secret | Season 2
My Dirty Little Secret | Season 3
My Extreme Animal Phobia | Season 1
My Five Wives | Season 1
My Giant Life | Season 1
My Giant Life | Season 2
My Giant Life | Season 3
My Strange Addiction | Season 1
My Strange Addiction | Season 2
My Strange Addiction | Season 3
My Strange Addiction | Season 4
My Strange Addiction | Season 5
My Teen is Pregnant and So Am I | Season 1
My War Diary | Season 1
Mysteries of the Abandoned | Season 1
Mysteries of the Abandoned | Season 2
Mysteries of the Missing | Season 1
Mysterious Wilds of India | Season 1
Mystery of the Lost Islands | Season 1
MythBusters | Season 10
MythBusters | Season 11
MythBusters | Season 12
MythBusters | Season 13
MythBusters | Season 14
MythBusters | Season 15
MythBusters | Season 16
MythBusters | Season 17
MythBusters | Season 18
MythBusters | Season 19
MythBusters | Season 2
MythBusters | Season 20
MythBusters | Season 3
MythBusters | Season 4
MythBusters | Season 5
MythBusters | Season 6
MythBusters | Season 7
MythBusters | Season 8
MythBusters | Season 9
Mythbusters: The Search | Season 1
Naked and Afraid | Season 1
Naked and Afraid | Season 2
Naked and Afraid | Season 3
Naked and Afraid | Season 4
Naked and Afraid | Season 5
Naked and Afraid | Season 6
Naked and Afraid | Season 7
Naked and Afraid | Season 8
Naked and Afraid | Season 9
Naked and Afraid XL | Season 1
Naked and Afraid XL | Season 2
Naked and Afraid XL | Season 3
Naked Speed | Season 1
Narrow Escapes of World War II | Season 1
NASA's Unexplained Files | Season 1
NASA's Unexplained Files | Season 2
NASA's Unexplained Files | Season 3
NASA's Unexplained Files | Season 4
NASA's Unexplained Files | Season 5
Natural Born Outlaws | Season 1
Nazi Fugitives | Season 1
Ned Bruha: Skunk Whisperer | Season 1
New Girls on the Block | Season 1
Nightmare Next Door | Season 2
Nightmare Next Door | Season 8
Nightmare Next Door | Season 9
No Limits | Season 1
North America | Season 1
North Woods Law | Season 10
North Woods Law | Season 3
North Woods Law | Season 4
North Woods Law | Season 6
North Woods Law | Season 7
North Woods Law | Season 8
North Woods Law | Season 9
Nowhere to Hide | Season 1
NY Ink | Season 1
NY Ink | Season 2
NY Ink | Season 3
Obsession: Dark Desires | Season 1
Obsession: Dark Desires | Season 2
Obsession: Dark Desires | Season 3
Odd Folks Home | Season 1
Oddities | Season 1
Oddities | Season 2
Oddities | Season 3
Oddities | Season 4
Oddities | Season 5
Oddities: San Francisco | Season 2
On the Case with Paula Zahn | Season 10
On the Case with Paula Zahn | Season 15
On the Case with Paula Zahn | Season 16
On the Case with Paula Zahn | Season 9
One Car Too Far | Season 1
One Man Army | Season 1
One Way Out | Season 1
Operation Wild | Season 2
Our Little Family | Season 1
Out of the Wild: Venezuela | Season 2
Outlaw Empires | Season 1
Outlaw Tech | Season 1
Outrageous Acts of Danger | Season 1
Outrageous Acts of Psych | Season 1
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 1
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 2
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 3
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 4
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 5
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 6
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 7
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 8
Outrageous Acts of Science | Season 9
Overhaulin' UHD | Season 1
Pacific Warriors | Season 1
Pandora's Box: Unleashing Evil | Season 2
Paranormal Lockdown | Season 1
Paranormal Lockdown | Season 2
Passport to Murder | Season 1
Pearl Harbor - The Heroes Who Fought Back | Season 1
Penn & Teller Tell a Lie | Season 1
Pete Rose: Hits & Mrs. | Season 1
Pit Boss | Season 2
Pit Boss | Season 3
Pit Boss | Season 4
Pit Boss | Season 5
Pit Boss | Season 6
Pit Bulls & Parolees | Season 11
Pit Bulls & Parolees | Season 4
Pit Bulls & Parolees | Season 5
Pit Bulls & Parolees | Season 6
Pit Bulls & Parolees | Season 9
Police Women of Broward County | Season 6
Police Women of Cincinnati | Season 5
Police Women of Dallas | Season 4
Preaching Alabama | Season 1
Predators Up Close with Joel Lambert | Season 1
Pregnant Behind Bars | Season 1
Princess Diana: Tragedy Or Treason? | Season 1
Prophets of Science Fiction | Season 1
Psychic Matchmaker | Season 1
Punkin Chunkin | Season 5
Punkin Chunkin | Season 6
Race to Escape | Season 1
Railroad Alaska | Season 1
Railroad Alaska | Season 2
Railroad Alaska | Season 3
Raised Human | Season 1
Rancher, Farmer, Fisherman | Season 1
Rat Busters NYC | Season 1
Rattled | Season 1
Rattlesnake Republic | Season 1
Rattlesnake Republic | Season 2
Real Detective | Season 1
Real Detective | Season 2
Real, Fake, or Unknown | Season 1
Reasonable Doubt | Season 1
Rebel Gold | Season 1
Redrum | Season 1
Redrum | Season 2
Redwood Kings | Season 1
Redwood Kings | Season 2
Rescue Dog to Super Dog | Season 1
Restoration Wild | Season 1
Return to Amish | Season 1
Return to Amish | Season 2
Return to Amish | Season 3
Return to Amish | Season 4
Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero | Season 1
Risking It All | Season 1
Rival Survival | Season 1
River Monsters | Season 2
River Monsters | Season 3
River Monsters | Season 4
River Monsters | Season 5
River Monsters | Season 6
River Monsters | Season 7
River Monsters | Season 8
River Monsters | Season 9
River Monsters UHD | Season 1
Roar: The Most Dangerous Movie Ever Made | Season 1
Rocky Mountain Bounty Hunters | Season 2
Rugged Justice | Season 1
Rusted Development | Season 2
Sacred Cod | Season 1
Sacred Steel Bikes | Season 1
Sarah Palin's Alaska | Season 1
Say Yes to the Dress | Season 10
Say Yes to the Dress | Season 11
Say Yes to the Dress | Season 6
Say Yes to the Dress | Season 7
Say Yes to the Dress | Season 8
Say Yes to the Dress | Season 9
Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta | Season 1
Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta | Season 2
Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta | Season 3
Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta | Season 6
Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta | Season 7
Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss | Season 1
Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss | Season 2
Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss | Season 3
Say Yes to the Dress: Randy Knows Best | Season 0
Say Yes to the Dress: Randy Knows Best | Season 1
Scam City | Season 1
SCI Sports | Season 0
Sci Fi Science | Season 1
Sci Fi Science | Season 2
Science Channel Presents | Season 1
Scorned: Love Kills | Season 1
Scorned: Love Kills | Season 2
Scorned: Love Kills | Season 3
Scorned: Love Kills | Season 4
Scorned: Love Kills | Season 6
Scott Peterson: An American Murder Mystery | Season 0
Secret Life of Formula One | Season 1
Secret Princes | Season 1
Secret Princes | Season 2
Secret Sex Lives: Swingers | Season 1
Secret Space Escapes | Season 1
Secret War | Season 1
Secrets of America’s Favorite Places | Season 1
Secrets of the Arsenal | Season 1
See No Evil | Season 1
See No Evil | Season 2
See No Evil | Season 3
See No Evil | Season 4
Serial Thriller | Season 1
Sex in Public | Season 1
Sex Sent Me to the ER | Season 1
Sex Sent Me to the ER | Season 2
Sex Sent Me to the ER | Season 3
Sex Sent Me to the Slammer | Season 1
Sexual Assault in College: Tamron Hall Investigates | Season 1
Shadow of Doubt | Season 1
Shadow of Doubt | Season 2
Shadow Ops | Season 1
Shark Week | Season 10
Shark Week | Season 11
Shark Week | Season 12
Shark Week | Season 13
Shark Week | Season 14
Shark Week | Season 15
Shark Week | Season 16
Shark Week | Season 17
Shark Week | Season 6
Shark Week | Season 7
Shark Week | Season 8
Shark Week | Season 9
She's In Charge | Season 1
Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman | Season 1
Shock Trauma: Edge of Life | Season 1
Siberian Cut | Season 1
Sin City ER | Season 1
Sins & Secrets | Season 2
Sins & Secrets | Season 4
Sister Wives | Season 1
Sister Wives | Season 10
Sister Wives | Season 11
Sister Wives | Season 12
Sister Wives | Season 2
Sister Wives | Season 3
Sister Wives | Season 4
Sister Wives | Season 5
Sister Wives | Season 6
Sister Wives | Season 7
Sister Wives | Season 9
Six Degrees of Murder | Season 1
Six Degrees of Murder | Season 2
Smoked | Season 1
Solved | Season 3
Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer | Season 1
Sonic Sea | Season 1
Sons of Guns | Season 1
Sons of Guns | Season 2
Sons of Guns | Season 3
Sons of Guns | Season 4
Sons of Winter | Season 1
South Beach Classics | Season 1
Southern Fried Homicide | Season 1
Southern Fried Homicide | Season 2
Space: Unraveling the Cosmos UHD
Space's Deepest Secrets | Season 2
Space's Deepest Secrets | Season 3
Special Ops Mission | Season 1
Stalked: Someone's Watching | Season 1
Stalked: Someone's Watching | Season 2
Stalked: Someone's Watching | Season 3
Stalked: Someone's Watching | Season 4
Starter Wives Confidential | Season 1
Stephen Hawking's Grand Design | Season 1
Steven Avery: Innocent or Guilty? | Season 1
Still Alive | Season 1
Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets | Season 2
Strange Evidence | Season 1
Street Justice: The Bronx | Season 1
Street Outlaws | Season 10
Street Outlaws | Season 2
Street Outlaws | Season 3
Street Outlaws | Season 4
Street Outlaws | Season 5
Street Outlaws | Season 6
Street Outlaws | Season 7
Street Outlaws | Season 8
Street Outlaws | Season 9
Street Outlaws: Memphis | Season 1
Street Outlaws: New Orleans | Season 1
Street Outlaws: New Orleans | Season 2
Street Science | Season 1
Street Science | Season 2
Strip the City | Season 2
Strip the Cosmos | Season 1
Stuck With Hackett | Season 1
Stuff You Should Know | Season 1
Style By Jury | Season 1
Suddenly Rich | Season 1
Suddenly Royal | Season 1
Surprise Homecoming | Season 1
Surviving Evil | Season 3
Surviving Evil with Charisma Carpenter | Season 1
Surviving Evil with Charisma Carpenter | Season 2
Surviving the Cut | Season 1
Surviving the Cut | Season 2
Surviving the Cut | Season 99
Survivorman | Season 3
Survivorman | Season 4
Survivorman | Season 5
Survivorman | Season 6
Survivorman | Season 7
Survivorman | Season 98
Survivorman | Season 99
Suspicion | Season 1
Suspicion | Season 2
Swamp Brothers | Season 1
Swamp Monsters | Season 1
Swamp Murders | Season 3
Swamp Murders | Season 4
Swamp Murders | Season 5
Swamp Wars | Season 1
Swamp Wars | Season 2
Swamp Wars | Season 3
Swimming with Monsters | Season 1
Swords | Season 2
Swords | Season 3
T.O.P. Army Fighter | Season 1
Tabloid | Season 2
Taking Fire | Season 1
Taking on Tyson | Season 1
Tanked | Season 10
Tanked | Season 11
Tanked | Season 12
Tanked | Season 13
Tanked | Season 14
Tanked | Season 3
Tanked | Season 4
Tanked | Season 5
Tanked | Season 6
Tanked | Season 7
Tanked | Season 8
Tanked | Season 9
Tattoo Girls | Season 1
Telescope | Season 1
Terror in the Woods | Season 1
Tesla's Death Ray: A Murder Declassified | Season 1
Tethered | Season 1
Texas Car Wars | Season 1
Texas Metal | Season 1
The 1980s: The Deadliest Decade | Season 1
The 1980s: The Deadliest Decade | Season 2
The 685-lb Teen | Season 0
The American Revolution | Season 1
The Auto Firm With Alex Vega | Season 1
The Colony | Season 1
The Colony | Season 2
The Coroner: I Speak for the Dead | Season 1
The Coroner: I Speak for the Dead | Season 2
The Cowboy | Season 1
The Dark Side of the Sun | Season 1
The Day I Almost Died | Season 1
The Demon Files | Season 1
The Detectives Club: New Orleans | Season 1
The Devil You Know | Season 3
The Devils Ride | Season 1
The Devils Ride | Season 2
The Devils Ride | Season 3
The Exorcist File - Haunted Boy | Season 1
The Fighters | Season 1
The First Kill | Season 1
The Golden State Killer: It's Not Over | Season 1
The Guardians | Season 1
The Haunted | Season 3
The Interrogation Room | Season 1
The Last Alaskans | Season 1
The Last Alaskans | Season 2
The Last Alaskans | Season 3
The Little Couple | Season 10
The Little Couple | Season 4
The Little Couple | Season 5
The Little Couple | Season 6
The Little Couple | Season 7
The Little Couple | Season 8
The Mind of a Murderer | Season 1
The Murder Castle | Season 1
The Perfect Murder | Season 3
The Perfect Murder | Season 4
The Perfect Suspect | Season 1
The Presidents' Gatekeepers | Season 1
The Quick and The Curious | Season 1
The Shift | Season 3
The Unexplained Files | Season 2
The Universe's Greatest Hits | Season 1
The Vanishing Women | Season 1
The Wheel | Season 1
The Wives Did It | Season 1
The Zoo | Season 1
Three Wives, One Husband | Season 1
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 1
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 2
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 3
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 4
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 5
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 6
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 7
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman | Season 8
TLC Presents | Season 1
Toddlers & Tiaras | Season 6
Toddlers & Tiaras | Season 7
Toddlers & Tiaras | Season 8
Toddlers & Tiaras | Season 9
Too Cute UHD | Season 1
Too Cute! | Season 4
Top Hooker | Season 1
Top Secret Weapons Revealed | Season 1
Top Sniper | Season 1
Top Sniper | Season 2
Top Tens | Season 1
Totally T-Boz | Season 1
Toucan Nation | Season 1
Toughest Military Jobs | Season 1
Trailblazers | Season 1
Trauma Down Under | Season 1
Treasure Quest: Snake Island | Season 1
Treasure Quest: Snake Island | Season 2
Treehouse Masters | Season 10
Treehouse Masters | Season 2
Treehouse Masters | Season 3
Treehouse Masters | Season 4
Treehouse Masters | Season 5
Treehouse Masters | Season 6
Treehouse Masters | Season 7
Treehouse Masters | Season 9
Triggers | Season 1
Triggers | Season 2
True Conviction | Season 1
True Crime with Aphrodite Jones | Season 4
True Crime with Aphrodite Jones | Season 6
True Nightmares | Season 1
True Nightmares | Season 2
True Supernatural | Season 1
Twisted (2014) | Season 6
Twisted Tales of My 9 to 5 | Season 1
UFO Conspiracies | Season 1
UFOs: The Lost Evidence | Season 1
UFOs: The Untold Stories | Season 1
Unchained Reaction | Season 1
Unearthed (2017) | Season 1
Unearthed (2017) | Season 2
Unearthed | Season 1
Unique Rides | Season 1
Unique Rides | Season 2
Unique Rides | Season 3
United States of Food | Season 1
Unraveled | Season 1
Unraveled | Season 2
Untold Stories of the ER | Season 12
Untold Stories of the ER | Season 13
Untold Stories of the ER | Season 7
Untouchable: Power Corrupts | Season 1
Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent | Season 1
Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent | Season 4
Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent | Season 5
Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent | Season 6
Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent | Season 7
Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent | Season 8
US Bounty Hunters | Season 1
US of Bacon | Season 1
Vanity Fair Confidential | Season 1
Vegas Rat Rods | Season 1
Vegas Rat Rods | Season 2
Vegas Rat Rods | Season 3
Venom Hunters | Season 1
Village of the Damned | Season 1
Warrior POV | Season 1
Wartime Crime | Season 1
Weaponology | Season 1
Weaponology | Season 2
Web of Lies | Season 1
Web of Lies | Season 2
Web of Lies | Season 3
Web of Lies | Season 4
Web of Lies | Season 5
Weird, True & Freaky | Season 1
Weird, True & Freaky | Season 2
Weird, True & Freaky | Season 3
Whale Wars | Season 1
Whale Wars | Season 2
Whale Wars | Season 3
Whale Wars | Season 4
Whale Wars | Season 5
Whale Wars | Season 6
Whale Wars Specials | Season 0
Whale Wars: Viking Shores | Season 1
What Could Possibly Go Wrong? | Season 1
What History Forgot | Season 1
What Not To Wear | Season 11
What Not To Wear | Season 12
What On Earth? | Season 1
What On Earth? | Season 2
What On Earth? | Season 3
What On Earth? | Season 4
Wheeler Dealers | Season 10
Wheeler Dealers | Season 11
Wheeler Dealers | Season 13
Wheeler Dealers | Season 14
Wheeler Dealers | Season 15
Wheeler Dealers | Season 16
Wheeler Dealers | Season 17
Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up | Season 2
Who Do You Think You Are? (2012) | Season 1
Who Do You Think You Are? (2012) | Season 7
Who Do You Think You Are? (2012) | Season 8
Who Is Donnie Rudd? Keith Morrison Investigates | Season 1
Who Killed Angie Dodge? Keith Morrison Investigates | Season 1
Who Killed Jane Doe? | Season 1
Who Killed Jane Doe? | Season 2
Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? | Season 1
Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? | Season 2
Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? | Season 3
Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? | Season 4
Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? | Season 5
Who the (Bleep)... | Season 1
Wicked Attraction | Season 3
Wicked Attraction | Season 4
Wicked Attraction | Season 5
Wicked Attraction | Season 6
Wild Africa: Rivers of Life | Season 1
Wild West Alaska | Season 2
Wild West Alaska | Season 3
Wild West Alaska | Season 4
Willis Family | Season 1
Wives with Knives | Season 3
Women in Prison | Season 1
Women in Prison | Season 2
Women of Homicide | Season 1
World War II: Witness to War | Season 1
World's Scariest Plane Landings | Season 1
World's Toughest Trucker | Season 1
Worst Thing I Ever Did | Season 1
WWII in the Pacific | Season 1
WWII's Greatest Raids | Season 1
Yankee Jungle | Season 2
Your Worst Nightmare | Season 1
Your Worst Nightmare | Season 2
Your Worst Nightmare | Season 3
Your Worst Nightmare | Season 4
Yukon Men | Season 1
Yukon Men | Season 2
Yukon Men | Season 3
Yukon Men | Season 4
Yukon Men | Season 5
Yukon Men | Season 6
Yukon Men | Season 7
100 Miles from Nowhere | Season 1
19 Kids & Counting | Season 5
19 Kids & Counting | Season 6
9/11 Hero: The Red Bandanna Legacy | Season 1
The amount of sheer crap that is out there is truly astounding.

ZoukGalaxy

That's plain simple:

DIGITAL FUTURE = YOU OWN NOTHING

And if you trust big corporates to take care for you of "your ownership", just wait for it n

The only exception is service like GOG or BANDCAMP (musics) where you can download and re-install ANYTIME your content at your ease.

People praising digital are digging they own grave, plain and simple.

The sad thing is that preservation will be done by... pirates. Pretty hilarious.

Last edited:
“As of August 31, 2022, due to our evolving licensing agreements with content providers, you will no longer be able to view your previously purchased Studio Canal content and it will be removed from your video library,” the notices read. “We greatly appreciate your continued support.” .....The same bs happend last year in Germany & Austria at this point I'm not buying anything else digital I'm glad I started my 4k bluray collection again. I just don't see how Sony could escape without any culpability here the content providers are more at fault obviously but Sony has to take some responsibility they should at least going forward have bigger disclaimers when buying digital content

Wizz-Art

I own a significant physical collection of movies and tv shows, started collecting since the late '90s when DVD came out, via HD-DVD and Blu-Ray I buy UHD's now which to me is the definitive media and end of the line when it comes to physical. A shame some distributors like Disney/Fox and Sony started to push for the all digital future while totally abandoning regions like the Benelux.

I also started buying stuff digitally on the MS store (I earn quite a lot off MS rewards this way) which I don't feel the need to own on physical media, I simply buy only from the weekly sales for quite cheap $5 on average. Fortunately nothing has disappeared or so. Close to half of the titles are Movies Anywhere too and automatically ported over to the MA app once I bought them through the MS store.

Through the Movies and TV app on your Windows PC you are able to download all the titles you purchased if you wish to, but I'm not sure how the DRM works if you want to use it offline when downloaded.

Why does this affect only PS users, aren't Discovery selling their stuff on all the digital stores, so wouldn't every digital store have this licensing issue?

Astray

Gold Member
This will absolutely lead to a class-action lawsuit imo.

There's absolutely no right for a merged entity to shirk an obligation to keep content that was paid for, and it strikes me as easy bait for politician to go after as well.

CamHostage

Why does this affect only PS users, aren't Discovery selling their stuff on all the digital stores, so wouldn't every digital store have this licensing issue?

Not sure? It could be that this is happening elsewhere with WB Discovery content but notifications have not gone out, but if this is all ending Dec 31, you'd expect it to need to happen quickly.

(I believe Apple in the past has pulled content license from a user's library without warning, so maybe they just don't even bother telling you on other services?)

Sony was pretty early and pushy in the non-physical entertainment market and so their contracts may date back to less cemented times of content rights. (Albeit iTunes came way before PS3/PSP, and other DD services still exist or have been acquired/absorbed in that time which would have even older contract language; I'd also be surprised if new contract language is even less consumer-friendly, since media publishers now know the value of their library content and also have fewer outlets of monetizing their library now that streaming has funneled the market.)

Maybe also there might be some clause which WB Discovery can exploit in PlayStation being a multimedia device line primarily for gaming (or because it was for multiple device types, now with generations of hardware and a mix of home box and portable devices, plus big changes in the underlying PSN content management system over time,) that didn't lock down the movie/TV content strongly enough.

Or maybe WB Discovery just raised the rates insanely (or "insanely" from Sony's perspective, which is "reasonable" for every other company who cares that its customers feel their digital purchases are secured for the life of the account and so they paid up while Sony didn't.

Or WB saw Sony as technically a competitor for its streaming service (even though we're talking 15+ year old shows, and Sony doesn't have its own streaming subscription destination) and intentionally pulled the license where it made sense to cut out the paperwork funnel the user base. (The indicator here I would think would be something like FandangoNow/Vudu, although I think WB still owns a stake of Fandango with NBC Universal.)

Last edited:

Zuzu

4K blu ray should be the future for owning movies. Not only is the quality better but it’s yours forever if you take care of it. Digital is fine for streaming rented movies but you don’t truly own your purchased films.

Many more people have access now to 4k blu ray players now that the PS5 and Series X have them built in. I encourage everyone to buy their treasured and favourite films on 4k blu ray. The experience is better and you actually own and can watch it anytime with or without the internet. And none of these corporations can take it from you.

GloveSlap

Nah, the ones who own the content almost always have a clause saying they can end licencing, if you don't agree you simply don't get the content. Some companies like Studio Canal and now Discovery can decide to be shitty and it's usually because they've just recently launched a streaming service and want to make their content exclusive on it.
I guess this is the standard for digital movies, but it shouldn't be. All store fronts should band together on this, though i guess that isn't realistic. A law seems the more likely solution.

Companies can and do avoid this kind of situation though. Microsoft for example buys a cheaper limited license for the cars in the Forza Horizon series to where you can't buy the game after a few years. You don't lose the game though, and can still re-download.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You will own nothing and love it.

you don’t technically own physical media, but they can’t take it from you. You just have a license.

this move justifies torrenting in my view. You paid for it, you shouldn’t have to pay again for access.

Dane

Movies are always the worst of entertainment to deal with licenses, games on the other hand even when developers go bankrupt they are moved to new ownerships before being taken out, and if the worst happen, you can still re-download it.

Top Bottom