• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

I have to say the reports I've heard about the controller tracking in games with a lot of fast movement has me worried. Any beat Saber or Supernatural players care to comment?
Perfect timing. I just bought Beat Saber this morning and have been swiping most of the day. It tracks perfectly fine in headset on quest 3.

Im already about to buy an album. Possibly Queen and or The Weekend.

Edit- This game is borderline brilliant. My wife loves it and I can work up a bit of a sweat. watching her play is good fun and I can only imagine what I must look like.

Last edited:

Romulus

If a network has many devices or if there are other networks on 5 Ghz the router will get hammered and the signal will have issues. I think the major benefit to 6g is that almost no one used it so it'll be "clean". Speeds are less important as your streaming bitrate will likely be encode/decode limited.

It would typically just be me. I game for an hour or more instead of waiting in traffic. Then I go home.

Btw are you using 5g for av1 with Quest 3?

Last edited:

Hot5pur

It would typically just be me. I game for an hour or more instead of waiting in traffic. Then I go home.

Btw are you using 5g for av1 with Quest 3?
I got a 6e router and put the quest on 6g. My existing router was a really crappy ISP provided one

amigastar

Sorry guys for the Meta Quest 2 question.
So my problem is i'm playing Half Life: Alyx but the game gets projected on a wall like cinema but i want the game to surround me.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sorry guys for the Meta Quest 2 question.
So my problem is i'm playing Half Life: Alyx but the game gets projected on a wall like cinema but i want the game to surround me.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Launch it through steamVR? Getting it to not launch in VR mode is probably harder than getting it in VR mode.

Hot5pur

Been doing a lot of research/exploration of the VR space.
Seems PCVR really didn't take off and a lot of stuff is just small dev teams with quite a few abandoned projects - the landscape is kinda rough, but definitely some good games out there.
There are some recent AA and AAA VR games coming to Quest, luckily Meta seems heavily invested in making VR happen, but they abandoned the PCVR space (understandable).
Most devs are trying to work on Quest because of the user base, and depending on how things go they port to PCVR, but much harder as not only do they have to account for PC hardware, but now you have all the different headsets on top of it. VR user reviews can be all over the place because of this.
The other major complication VR has is you need the accessibility options for people who get motion sick or until they get their "VR legs".
Personally I don't know how VR is not MORE popular. I bet there are many people like me who thought VR was some lame gimmick, but once I tried it I think there is no going back to flatscreen gaming for some stuff, especially FPS games.
It takes gaming to a whole new level, and translates to IRL skills (like fitness, hand eye coordination, ping pong haha!), I'm genuinely blown away, it kinda like the transition from 2D games to 3D games.
There are some definite heavy hitters coming out this holiday season: Vampire the Masquerade, Arizona Sunshine 2, Asgard's Wrath 2, Assassin's Creed....
My only complaint is that I would rather wait for any of those games to hit PCVR for the better fidelity (some will stay as Quest exclusive). But even if devs just bumped the resolution and gave some basic antialiasing that would be enough for me, a lot of these Quest games have piss poor resolution and if you get the optimizer to crank the resolution on the Q3 it will eat up battery in no time.
There will be some heavy VR sales on the 21st of Nov from Meta and Steam if past years is anything to go by, so best to scope out any cool titles of interest and add them to wishlists ahead of time.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is the best example of what I'm talking about, a sliding comparison of 200mbps AV1 Vs 850mbps H.264. View fullscreen on a large monitor, not a phone or tablet. Pay close attention to the shadowed foggy area under the trees and note how 200mbps turns into a blurry soup by comparison. I'm coming directly from an Index of 4.5 years with like 2000 hours clocked so I'm very familiar with what these environments should look like on a lossless connection. If you've only ever used a Quest and lossy streaming, I can see how you wouldn't necessarily recognize it as an issue in isolation with no point of reference. Visually complex scenes like pictured/linked are where the algorithm falls apart, though I must admit I'm puzzled as to why fog/volumetric effects are the easiest place to see it's failings.

Looks like Virtual Desktop is meeting you half-way! Curious if you notice any improvements with your super-critical eyes + custom scenes to test with.

I played a bit of Half-Life 2 VR last night, and using 10-bit HEVC at 200mbit/s (or whatever the max is) I still am not seeing any compression issues at all. It looked great! Perfect even, I encountered quite a few chaotic scenes of light/movement/craziness taking up the entire view and everything held up great for me.

But cool to see virtual desktop add in both an increase from 200 to 500mbit/sec and also the ability to bypass SteamVR which I'm guessing is something AirLink can't do, given how that still hasn't been updated for Quest 3 afaik.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It’s very odd. It’s not a huge leap over Quest 2 but there is something about Quest 3‘s improvements that makes we want to play it everyday.

Techies

I have not used my Quest3 much lately, realized how much I actually hate the default strap and poor battery life. Still waiting for Bobovr to become available on Amazon.

Same issue as the PSVR2, starts hurting after 20 minutes.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Looks like Virtual Desktop is meeting you half-way! Curious if you notice any improvements with your super-critical eyes + custom scenes to test with.

This is excellent news, I can't wait to try out some of the games which struggled with performance in the past.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
In a moment of pure sci-fi I was doing the dishes and watching a movie in mixed reality on my Quest 3. Quite amazing really.
I’ve bought loads of gadgets over the years and some of them I have regretted it but Quest 3 is the opposite. I use it almost every day.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Well last night I played some Eleven and pulled something in my back so today in some pain.
This morning played Zero Calibur and ran out of battery before I could finish the mission (no savepoints, they are long!), also stock strap is crap so my face hurts but I'm waiting for something with an 18W battery, maybe Kiwi end of this month.
Then I got doom3 repossessed to run and that was pretty good except an hour in I because quite nauseous.
So now lying on my couch with a sore face, back and nausea.
10/10 would VR again.

Melter

Well last night I played some Eleven and pulled something in my back so today in some pain.
This morning played Zero Calibur and ran out of battery before I could finish the mission (no savepoints, they are long!), also stock strap is crap so my face hurts but I'm waiting for something with an 18W battery, maybe Kiwi end of this month.
Then I got doom3 repossessed to run and that was pretty good except an hour in I because quite nauseous.
So now lying on my couch with a sore face, back and nausea.
10/10 would VR again.
Pretty much the average users VR experience right here.

I really hope VR takes off but they need to get off their asses and fix these issue already instead of doing incremental upgrades

Sleepwalker

In a moment of pure sci-fi I was doing the dishes and watching a movie in mixed reality on my Quest 3. Quite amazing really.
I’ve bought loads of gadgets over the years and some of them I have regretted it but Quest 3 is the opposite. I use it almost every day.
This is literally the main reason I want one, to watch content while doing chores lmao. Might sell the ole q2.

Second set of controller AA batteries used up.
I’ve got some Eneloops around the house but instead I ordered the charging dock, also ordered the silicon face mask and the wrist straps.
Already have the elite strap with battery.
Im officially a meta fanboy/sucker.

amigastar

So i've ordered the Meta Quest 3 and i've returned Meta Quest 2 because it was all blurry and shit.
I hope the Meta Quest 3 will be better.

Minsc

Gold Member
So i've ordered the Meta Quest 3 and i've returned Meta Quest 2 because it was all blurry and shit.
I hope the Meta Quest 3 will be better.

Quest 3 is really, really clear. Mixed reality passthrough not so much, but it's still quite fun, and when you overlay in MR the rendered stuff (not passthrough content) looks better for some reason, like the blacks look darker etc, just due to the contrast I guess.

But yeah, if you have a handful of Q2 games, the difference is really drastic. Especially in PC VR / Virtual Desktop and native stuff too of course, RE4 looks incredibly sharp and clear on Quest 3.

Edit: A 3rd party strap is required for Quest 3 - it may be even worse than Quest 2 which was shit, well Quest 3 default strap is total shit. So be sure to have something to replace the standard flimsy horrible one they pack in.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Has anyone found a decent power bank for Q3 with like a pouch I can hang off the default strap. It's actually not terrible if you set it correctly.
I don't want to do Bobo as it can be loose and the current battery doesn't have the right wattage.
Kiwi will have their strap end of the month but will take some time to ship and I just want something now....
Mostly playing Eleven these days, shit is magical. The headset gets more use than my gaming PC, we'll see how long this honeymoon phase lasts.

Romulus

As someone who owned PSVR1 and had dozens of the best games, this is something. Playing Assassin's Creed Nexus looks better than anything on PSVR1 in terms of scale and NPC count. The resolution is night and day higher. This definitely looks better than Hitman on PSVR1(the best comparison) and has way more scale.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My referral links...

Headset:
Virtual Desktop:
Best Games:
After the Fall

Arizona Sunshine

Assassin's Creed Nexus

Beat Saber

Blade and Sorcery

Demeo

Drop Dead Dual Strike Edition

Eleven Table Tennis

GORN

Gun Club

Premium Bowling

Resident Evil 4

Swarm

Zombieland Headshot Fever

Asgard's Wrath(PC/Oculus Store/Rift)
Other Games:
2MD: VR Football Unleashed Allstar

Accounting+

Anshar 2 Hyperdrive

Death Lap
Fruit Ninja

Gadgeteer

Ghost Giant

Puzzle Bobble Vacation Odyssey

SculptrVR

Waltz of the Wizard

Zero Caliber Reloaded

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I am going to order an MQ3 for someone for Christmas (maybe get myself one too). Is the elite strap still glitchy? From reviews it looks like it is still hit and miss. Does anyone have recommendations on 3rd party straps or would it be best to go with decent strap separate battery pack? For the gift, I don't want them to have to troubleshoot once things are set up.

Minsc

Gold Member
$20 Alyx sale is live! Looking forward to finally playing this one.

I am going to order an MQ3 for someone for Christmas (maybe get myself one too). Is the elite strap still glitchy? From reviews it looks like it is still hit and miss. Does anyone have recommendations on 3rd party straps or would it be best to go with decent strap separate battery pack? For the gift, I don't want them to have to troubleshoot once things are set up.

You mean with battery? I've had mine from launch it works great! Without battery I can't imagine there's anything that would go wrong?

All they have to do is not power down the headset while leaving the battery strap cable plugged in, it communicates with the headset so you either need to just let it do its thing in standby/suspend or simply disconnect the cable when not in use (takes like .6 seconds, and ~1 second to plug it back in later).

reinking

Gold Member

You mean with battery? I've had mine from launch it works great! Without battery I can't imagine there's anything that would go wrong?

All they have to do is not power down the headset while leaving the battery strap cable plugged in, it communicates with the headset so you either need to just let it do its thing in standby/suspend or simply disconnect the cable when not in use (takes like .6 seconds, and ~1 second to plug it back in later).
Yes, the battery one. I just know people were having an issue with it. I am buying this for a 13-year-old. I am not sure if they are going to remember to always pull the battery cable before powering down.

amigastar

Yep, i always wanted to try Alyx and today i get my Quest 3, when everything goes right i will get Alyx on Sale. The sale lasts until tuesday.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Yep, i always wanted to try Alyx and today i get my Quest 3, when everything goes right i will get Alyx on Sale. The sale lasts until tuesday.

Make sure you are getting a referral for a free $30 credit. Here's mine (the sender also gets something):
Referral link

Also, I recommend people consider a power bank instead of a new battery strap. Manufacturers are still figuring it out right now. I ended up buying a 22.5 W PD 10000 mah / 37wh bank. That should give you an extra 2-4 hours depending on what you're doing. Try to get a bank of at least 20W that supports 9V/2mA. Best model I've found is one from best buy in sale right now for like $20 that also has Qi charging if you want to use it as general purpose. It's a new model and a refresh of an old one exclusive to BB:
Link

I think 20k mah is do-able but would be too heavy. They are around half a pound so will have to go into a pocket. For the 10k, you can stick in on your arm by making a sleeve out of a sock , seriously it's a very efficient DIY solution, check YouTube for instructions.

Lastly, all the Half life games are on sale and they have crazy good official steam VR mods. You can pick up HL2 on steam with ep1 and 2 for like $2.50 total. Alyx is on for $20.

All my info is US oriented but hopefully some of it useful to others.

Last edited:
Trying out the airlink to my PC for the first time. Very bad experience.
Just installing the Oculus software took all morning. It must have been downloading on some abandoned Bit Torrent thing.
Connecting to Quest 3 air link worked first time but it's extremely glitchy and juddery in the menu.

Downloading the first Wrath of Asgard is over 80 GB. And it's using that same super slow download speed. I'll get it sometime this weekend.
I assume Wrath of Asgard 1 was part of the Wrath of Asgard 2 that comes out later this year. I don't remember buying it.

Bought Half Life Alyx while it was on sell for $20 and some change.
Steam downloaded the giant game Alyx in no time on my 400 Mbit internet.
Don't know what the problem with Oculus might be. Just poor slow servers or something?

I'll need to probly use a link cable. I have the Meta branded cable (expensive) but it's a USB C to C and I only have USB 3 A ports on my PC. :(

Romulus

Just installing the Oculus software took all morning. It must have been downloading on some abandoned Bit Torrent thing.
Connecting to Quest 3 air link worked first time but it's extremely glitchy and juddery in the menu.

Downloading the first Wrath of Asgard is over 80 GB. And it's using that same super slow download speed. I'll get it sometime this weekend.
I assume Wrath of Asgard 1 was part of the Wrath of Asgard 2 that comes out later this year. I don't remember buying it.

Don't know what the problem with Oculus might be. Just poor slow servers or something?

I'll need to probly use a link cable. I have the Meta branded cable (expensive) but it's a USB C to C and I only have USB 3 A ports on my PC. :(

I use virtual desktop for all VR gaming. Air link and Oculus link are pretty trash for me.

Hot5pur

That's weird about the Oculus app, I can't say I had issues, so not sure what's going on. Are you downloading something in parallel on steam? Yes you got AW1 with 2 as part of your new Q3.

Airlink can work ok, but it will depend on your router, how congested your band is, and how close you are to it, also your PC should be Ethernet wired to router. If you are still having issues after that you can try virtual desktop. So far on h264+ at 460 mbit it has the best visuals and no stutter, but you can try other settings without futsing around with oculus tools.

I use virtual desktop for all VR gaming. Air link and Oculus link are pretty trash for me.

That's weird about the Oculus app, I can't say I had issues, so not sure what's going on. Are you downloading something in parallel on steam? Yes you got AW1 with 2 as part of your new Q3.

Airlink can work ok, but it will depend on your router, how congested your band is, and how close you are to it, also your PC should be Ethernet wired to router. If you are still having issues after that you can try virtual desktop. So far on h264+ at 460 mbit it has the best visuals and no stutter, but you can try other settings without futsing around with oculus tools.
Might as well try that virtual desktop. It costs money. 😞
Also might as well spend a bit more and get Assasins Creed vr.

amigastar

Hey there,
got me a Meta Quest 3 but i have a problem. I've tried to play Falcon BMS in VR but its not how i want it. Currently the game gets projected on a big screen instead me being inside the Aircraft.
Does anyone know what settings i have to use to fix this?
Also is it normal that the screen gets blurry when i move my head in DCS World?

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Might as well try that virtual desktop. It costs money. 😞
Also might as well spend a bit more and get Assasins Creed vr.

Meta has a very lenient refund policy. Read up, but you basically can 100% refund anything you buy no questions asked. I think the catch is it has to be within a certain amount of time, but lots of people comment how easy it is to refund on the Meta store. Which is why when games are released for it they run well normally, because if not, everyone will just refund their money back. Unlike Sony, who unless the game is a colossal PR nightmare like Cyberpunk at launch or whatever will never let you refund anything you've played.

But Virtual Desktop is almost always better than airlink, and since they recently patched away its main weakness (which for most isn't even a thing) - the 200mbit/s cap is now 500mbit/s, there's really no reason to not use it instead. You have a Quest 3, might as well fully embrace the wireless selling point.

I'd understand if you got a direct video feed wired, but you do not. Both wired and wireless have the same video process of encoding the video first then decoding it on the headset. It's not like using a USB-C cable to a PC monitor where you get an actual video output from the PC.

For me, HEVC 10-bit over VD provides a flawless IQ and almost 0 lag/hiccups (I played a good amount of Half-Life 2 and a few other games, but just bought Alyx so that will be soon!), and I don't even have WiFi 6, it's just a congested WiFi 5 dumb router. So eventually I'll upgrade to WiFi 6 and it'll be even better. Probably no drops at all period then.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The audio quality without headphones continues to impress me. It’s good enough. Hove not felt the need to plug in headphones.

I thought that too until I used Synth Riders. It just doesn't compare to good headphones, it's very clear the missing bass and differences there (falls apart a little too near max volume), but then again I'm pretty familiar with how those tracks sounded on my PSVR2, and I could also just use IEM earbuds on the Quest as well, but it's definitely like you say good enough. So far my only real disappointment with the built in speakers.

Virtual desktop referral if you need one.
Thanks for the referral, saved me 5 bucks.

Virtual Desktop was 'better' the desktop part was perfect presence with using the PC desktop.
But as soon as I launched a game it was back to being glitchy, better than air link but still not playable.
I put it in potato mode and 72 hz tried turning on and off other options but no no avail.
I have an old GTX 1080Ti.
I have a netgear nighthawk 1900 ac router/cable modem. PC is connected ethernet wired.
I'm reading on the net that this router isn't a good fit for wireless VR.

Nice experiment but I'm going to go wired for PCVR until the day comes that my router dies.
Just imagine having to reconnect all your stuff to a new router after spending hundreds of dollars. :messenger_face_screaming:

Minsc

Gold Member

Virtual Desktop was 'better' the desktop part was perfect presence with using the PC desktop.
But as soon as I launched a game it was back to being glitchy, better than air link but still not playable.
I put it in potato mode and 72 hz tried turning on and off other options but no no avail.
I have a netgear nighthawk 1900 ac router/cable modem. PC is connected ethernet wired.

Nice experiment but I'm going to go wired for PCVR until the day comes that my router dies.
Just imagine having to reconnect all your stuff to a new router after spending hundreds of dollars. :messenger_face_screaming:

I just use the same network name and password when I buy new routers and for the most part everything works automatically haha.

Edit: It may just be the PC side of things is a bit outdated if you're on a 1080Ti too. Encoding 4k+ res and 120fps in realtime is something that needs to be done on hardware for free, and if the hardware doesn't do it, it just doesn't work to encode that level of data, that fast, via software.

Last edited:
I just use the same network name and password when I buy new routers and for the most part everything works automatically haha.

Edit: It may just be the PC side of things is a bit outdated if you're on a 1080Ti too. Encoding 4k+ res and 120fps in realtime is something that needs to be done on hardware for free, and if the hardware doesn't do it, it just doesn't work to encode that level of data, that fast, via software.
I use a standard 5ghz router and everything works fine. It has to be to GPU/cpu combo for him.

I use a standard 5ghz router and everything works fine. It has to be to GPU/cpu combo for him.
I went to a friend's house and using his PC wired worked fine but was the same glitchy experience using his wireless.
He owned a pimax and that thing was amazing compared to the quest 3 but it was a headache to get setup.

I need to add a usb c 3.1 expansion card into a spare pcie slot in my computer.
Then I can play the 2 PCVR game I own.
Half Life Alyx and Asguards Wrath 1.

By the way did you know Asguards Wrath is 132GB install? That thing is HUGE.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Maybe specify the codec in the VD desktop app, think the 1080Ti should have hardware encoding of some sort. The fact that desktop works well but VR games don't suggests that the GPU being taxed may be the problem.
I have a separate router dedicated to streaming that basically sits between my PC and the main router. The sheer number of devices attached to my main router I think was causing issues, an old airport extreme slotted in perfectly.

amigastar

So I've found out what the problem was with my Meta Quest 3 because the screen was all blurry and shit when turning the head.
It seems Motion Blur option in DCS World was the reason. I turned it off and now it's gone.

Top Bottom