• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Finally got around to playing PCVR. I’ve got a 3060ti.
Playing Half Life Alyx was the most impressive experience I’ve had in VR. Everything was super sharp and super detailed. Absolutely stunning.

Tried it today. Is very crispy compared to PSVR2. Little mura and the grey black.
Strange is that I couldn’t move the headset near my face so over the nose it was a gap I could see outside and lot of light in. Not even close the psvr2 darkness.

Also; can feel the weight on the device , not comfortable after couple of minutes . Sweat a lot more even with that nose gap.

Last edited:

Resenge

Tried it today. Is very crispy compared to PSVR2. Little mura and the grey black.
Strange is that I couldn’t move the headset near my face so over the nose it was a gap I could see outside and lot of light in. Not even close the psvr2 darkness.

Also; can feel the weight on the device , not comfortable after couple of minutes . Sweat a lot more even with that nose gap.
All Quests have a terrible default headstrap and personally I like the weight balanced so I bought this cheap strap. I have a battery balanced on the back so that the weight spread accross my whole head rather than on my face, more like wearing a hat like this. Plus I can switch out the powerbank for a charged one for longer playtime. I never charge my Quest 2 on the mains power, its always charging with the powerbanks.

It doesn't look the best but putting effort into making my headsets as comfortable as possible is more important to me to want to play for longer, also I don't see the headset while its on. :messenger_smirking:

I can wear my Quest 2 for hours with that mod, I wont buy that one I linked for my Quest 3 though as I am not confident that it will fit, it looks exactly the same as the quest 2 version. As soon as I see a cheap one though, Ill be modding it.

There is the Bobo strap coming that everybody raves on about (Quest 2 version), it does have a clean nice aesthetic and has a battery but that battery is pants. I think it's about 5000 Milliampere Hour.

My recommendation is to put some research into comfort and a new headstrap. also pull down the default strap as far down the back of your head as possible to grip, that will help take some weight off your face for now.

HtkTCfT.gif

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
So I spend more time in Steam VR Home, different environments, The Hobbit, Half Life 2 ones, and others. No issues at all still! Everything looks and streams perfectly for me. All the readings in the UI are below 10ms, and most are like 2-3ms. I do have to tweak it a bit, I don't have a 4000-series GPU, just a 3070, but it was running a little low-res I feel, VD defaulted to 1x scale and the res was something in the area of 3000x3000 I believe. Regardless, it had absolutely no issues for me so far, and VD works amazing! Steam VR while I don't think there's much there I'll invest heavily in, is definitely something I'm glad works perfectly on this headset.

Minsc

Gold Member

Elite battery strap all the way, amazing comfort, can use all day with it. So much better and I personally have no issues with light leakage. Only the tinniest bit at the bottom nose area that I zone out eventually. Really minor, I expected a lot worse tbh. It's comparable to PSVR2 to me, basically total darkness minus the light from the LCD screens.

JohnnyPhats

Man, I'm so tempted to get this damn thing. Haven't touched my 2 in a year. And I decked that thing out lol. Fan, deluxe audio strap etc. Maybe I'll sell it.

But then again, I want the damn Lenovo handheld thing coming out later this month

Rob_27

Got one earlier. Already have a PSVR2 but what the hell. Still trying to work out how to play stuff. My laptop is shit but have 3d movies.

Techies

When it's summer, I place a floor fan on the ground a meter or two from me, tilt it so it blows towards my face.

Tha air goes through the nose gap and it helps a lot. I tried the bobo fan thingy, but it simply wasn't enough. Big ground fan much much more effective.

Also, coughing up additional for a good headstrap is pretty much essential. Unfortunately the vanilla headstraps is just good for like under 20 minute sessions.

Poppyseed

For goodness sake help us out here by using this for $30 credit link before you set up your Quest 3.

Also, I have 25% off codes for Beat Saber, In Death: Unchained, Dungeons of Eternity, Eleven Table Tennis, Golf+, Walkabout Minigolf, Resident Evil 4 etc, so hit me up if you need any!

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Yeah I am debating halo style vs elite strap. I made a frankenquest with my q2 and I liked the Deluxe Audio Strap well enough, not as amazing as people said
The spatial audio in the Quest 3 is already pretty great. A few times in big screen someone would spawn in behind me and talk, which in turn would scare the shit out of me. It really sounded as if they were right there, whispering sweet somethings in my ear. I may need to find better rooms to go visit in Bigscreen 😐.

Romulus

Just tried Jedi Outcast on Quest 3 standalone. The clarity and performance upgrade is very noticeable.
I still can't get over how good that game is 20 years later. With first person, motion controlled lightsaber + dismemberment its just all sorts of awesome.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Just tried Jedi Outcast on Quest 3 standalone. The clarity and performance upgrade is very noticeable.
I still can't get over how good that game is 20 years later. With first person, motion controlled lightsaber + dismemberment its just all sorts of awesome.
I forgot to try this! I have something to look forward to later.

Poppyseed

Eleven Table Tennis is lovely at 200% render, max antialiasing, and 120fps. Only thing I can’t figure out is foveated rendering seems to impact the frame rate but there isn’t any in the Quest 3 so…

Romulus

I forgot to try this! I have something to look forward to later.

Yeah I've been playing single player mods at the hotel zipping around the room like an idiot. I never played these on PC and they're quite good and immersive.

Jedi Academy should be out very soon too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Eleven Table Tennis is lovely at 200% render, max antialiasing, and 120fps. Only thing I can’t figure out is foveated rendering seems to impact the frame rate but there isn’t any in the Quest 3 so…
There is still fixed foveated rendering so just the edges where your eyesight starts to get shit anyway get blurry.

MarkMe2525

If anyone (anyone who isnt 12 or a dickhead) wants to add me on quest for multiplayer shit, my name here is the same as my Meta Account name. Feel free to add.

Also, hit me up if you want a 25% off referral for: In Death unchained, the light brigade, onward, little cities, racket fury, golf+, gun club, beat saber, red matter, Real VR fishing, pistol whip, thrill of the fight, or supernatural sub.

Btw: the light brigade, golf, and fishing are all stand out titles. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

There is still fixed foveated rendering so just the edges where your eyesight starts to get shit anyway get blurry.
Ahh I see. Yeah, I couldn’t tell any difference when I toggled it to max or off. I’ll check again but it didn’t seem worth it.

Nice I gotta load all my sidequest stuff on this thing.

Poppyseed

Another Elite Strap/battery owner here. You really need this, and honestly - it should be included as the default (without battery, - fine). The basic strap is just awful. Awful to adjust, awful to wear, - it's bad.

It's also a real shame how much worse value the Quest 3 is versus Quest 2. Quest 2 was so much cheaper, came with the silicone optional face piece (now $40), and the Elite Strap/Battery + Case was $130 for the combo pack. Now the Elite Strap/battery is $130, and the case is another $70. The dock is $130 and doesn't come with a power adapter. Meta recommends you use the 18W power adapter that came with the Quest 3, but then it's still not as fast as the ALSO recommended 45W adapter most users won't have - to charge the headset and controllers.

And don't get me started on the whole $150 to add an extra 384GB. The Quest 3 is unquestionably better than Quest 2 in pretty much every performant way. Value-wise, it's so much worse that it's no longer as easy a recommendation.

Romulus

Another Elite Strap/battery owner here. You really need this, and honestly - it should be included as the default (without battery, - fine). The basic strap is just awful. Awful to adjust, awful to wear, - it's bad.

It's also a real shame how much worse value the Quest 3 is versus Quest 2. Quest 2 was so much cheaper, came with the silicone optional face piece (now $40), and the Elite Strap/Battery + Case was $130 for the combo pack. Now the Elite Strap/battery is $130, and the case is another $70. The dock is $130 and doesn't come with a power adapter. Meta recommends you use the 18W power adapter that came with the Quest 3, but then it's still not as fast as the ALSO recommended 45W adapter most users won't have - to charge the headset and controllers.

And don't get me started on the whole $150 to add an extra 384GB. The Quest 3 is unquestionably better than Quest 2 in pretty much every performant way. Value-wise, it's so much worse that it's no longer as easy a recommendation.

I think it's still an easy recommendation. There's really no other headset with MR/VR at this level for $500-650. MR games are actually a thing now so that alone makes it easy. PCVR is a real step up over Quest 2. I think it adds up, but I agree about the accessories.

MarkMe2525

I don't think their margins are any higher on Quest 3 than their margins on Quest 2 at launch. This is their last ditch effort to make VR mainstream, and this headset is packed with as much functionality they could include at its price point. We really are getting their best headset they could make at a $500 price point.

Of course, this is just an opinion based on inferred evidence from some of the serious VR channels. Mainly VRstudios, who are about as far from a Quest shill as you can get without being just a hater.

I don't think their margins are any higher on Quest 3 than their margins on Quest 2 at launch. This is their last ditch effort to make VR mainstream, and this headset is packed with as much functionality they could include at its price point. We really are getting their best headset they could make at a $500 price point.

Of course, this is just an opinion based on inferred evidence from some of the serious VR channels. Mainly VRstudios, who are about as far from a Quest shill as you can get without being just a hater.
yep. Also got to count that inflation has effectively made everything twice as expensive these days.

Poppyseed

Except that's not true, when you factor in it's $150 for an extra 384GB of storage. That's pretty much daylight robbery, and Apple levels of it.

MarkMe2525

Except that's not true, when you factor in it's $150 for an extra 384GB of storage. That's pretty much daylight robbery, and Apple levels of it.
I haven't seen anything to suggest your assertion is anything other than hearsay. The sources I pay attention to suggest that we are getting a lot of tech for our money.

If you want to have a separate conversation about the 512gb, your lack of value argument would hold more water, but I still would side with it being a great purchase for the price.

Reallink

Nah they were definitely losing money on $300 Quest 2's, that's why they made the unprecedented move of increasing the price on a consumer electronic 2 years later. They're almost definitely not losing money on $500 Quest 3's though, these are still bottom of the barrel displays (though having 2 is a mild price increase, probably adding $10 - $20 to the BoM Vs. Quest 2), the controllers are much simpler, everything's fashioned from the cheapest plastic and materials available, the strap is trash, the SoC is no more advanced than the XR2 Gen 1 was at Q2's launch (fab costs are up, but these chips are tiny meaning the per unit increase is actually quite small), and the crappy burner phone cameras and depth sensor certainly aren't significant additions. Also worth noting they have a special partnership and sweetheart deal with Qualcomm effectively co-designing the chips cause Facebook is the only company with a prayer of making the XR2 a mainstream commodity (which Qualcomm very much wants, a new mass market segment). So definitely more expensive to produce than Quest 2, but nowhere close to $200. I would guess Q3's a $50 - $80 increase per unit compared to Quest 2's launch BoM. The $500 Q3's margins are probably very similar to the post-hike $400 Quest 2. The 512GB Q3 is certainly the highest margin product they've ever produced.

Last edited:
used a friends PC with a 4070 card to try out PCVR. Was a pain in the butt.
Not user friendly and was glitchy AF.
Half Life Alyx had the floor 2 feet below the actual floor and we could not for the life of us figure how to fix it. The main quest menu was superceded by steam VR with no room remapping option anywhere.
Cyberpunk 2077 ran at slide show FPS.
Not a good experience.
Im sure we were doing something wrong or had multiple programs running trying to access the headset.
Im going to need some research to see what was wrong.

Minsc

Gold Member
used a friends PC with a 4070 card to try out PCVR. Was a pain in the butt.
Not user friendly and was glitchy AF.
Half Life Alyx had the floor 2 feet below the actual floor and we could not for the life of us figure how to fix it. The main quest menu was superceded by steam VR with no room remapping option anywhere.
Cyberpunk 2077 ran at slide show FPS.
Not a good experience.
Im sure we were doing something wrong or had multiple programs running trying to access the headset.
Im going to need some research to see what was wrong.

Were you using Virtual Desktop? That's what works best for most people. I had no issues at all with it so far.

Were you using Virtual Desktop? That's what works best for most people. I had no issues at all with it so far.
We used steam vr and the quest link.

The quest link worked with no issues. Had access to the PC quest apps. Friend already had a few games and demos downloaded for his quest 2 on the PC.

It was the stream VR with Alyx and cyberpunk vr that just did not want to play nice.

Everything was being done Through a cable from a USB port.

We did not know what the hell we were doing so I fully take user fault. But it was all a confused mess of glitch.

I expected things to go more smoothly and it was not.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
We used steam vr and the quest link.

The quest link worked with no issues. Had access to the PC quest apps. Friend already had a few games and demos downloaded for his quest 2 on the PC.

It was the stream VR with Alyx and cyberpunk vr that just did not want to play nice.

Everything was being done Through a cable from a USB port.

We did not know what the hell we were doing so I fully take user fault. But it was all a confused mess of glitch.

I expected things to go more smoothly and it was not.

Yeah, Virtual Desktop runs Steam VR a lot better IMO. Cyberpunk VR is a mod so that is not surprising it may have acted up, but Alyx should have worked better, probably would have in Virtual Desktop.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, Virtual Desktop runs Steam VR a lot better IMO. Cyberpunk VR is a mod so that is not surprising it may have acted up, but Alyx should have worked better, probably would have in Virtual Desktop.
I'm surprised no-one has bought the Virtual Desktop people (person?) out. It performs better than the built in stuff and has a massive range of options and optimizations.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Quest 3 is unquestionably better than Quest 2 in pretty much every performant way. Value-wise, it's so much worse that it's no longer as easy a recommendation.
Yeah. I can understand the value question and I felt the same way until I realised that there is nothing else out there that can give you the experiences that Quest 3 can deliver in a portable package. The mixed reality stuff is already amazing and will only get better as devs gets to grips with it.
I'm still stunned at the visual clarity of it. I tried my Quest 2 the other day and to be honest was a little shocked how difficult it was to find the sweet spot. It still looked good when I found it but I could instantly tell how low rez it felt compared to Quest 3. Quest 3's resolution and optics are at the point now where I feel it good enough. If I found a really comfortable halo strap then I could easily work in their all day once productivity apps become available.

It's a hugely impressive bit of tech for the money. I heard they are working on a cheaper version for the future.

joshwaan

Finally got around to playing PCVR. I’ve got a 3060ti.
Playing Half Life Alyx was the most impressive experience I’ve had in VR. Everything was super sharp and super detailed. Absolutely stunning.

I have a 6900 xt would codec should I use with virutal desktop guys ?

Reallink

I'm surprised no-one has bought the Virtual Desktop people (person?) out. It performs better than the built in stuff and has a massive range of options and optimizations.
There's nothing to buy, Meta already has 10's of thousands of the highest paid most accomplished engineer's in the world who could each run circles around Virtual Desktop in their sleep (they're losing $15 billion a year on Reality Labs alone, most of which is salaries). They intentionally handicap it and provide the most bare minimum cause they perceive PC streaming as a direct competitor to their walled garden Quest store (they haven't released a PCVR game in nearly 5 years). They also want their half assed solution to be as idiot proof plug and play as possible, not burdened in codec options or bit depth choices that 99% of people don't understand. PC streaming only begrudingly exists cause they know it helps sell some number of headsets, which cross pollinates into sales in their store, and they fully expect people would just hack their way around it if they didn't offer it.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I'm guessing you didn't get the Quest 2 at launch. It did not come with a silicone cover at launch but a year after. It came with only 64gb of storage and was heavily subsidized with requiring everyone using their Facebook account which wasn't as popular. It only went back down as more headsets were sold.

I do think starting the Quest 3 at 128gb of storage and then having the 512gb one being much more is very Apple and pretty scummy.

Sadly, I find the Q3 not as comfortable and hurts a lot. I think they should mark down the strap accessories.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm guessing you didn't get the Quest 2 at launch. It did not come with a silicone cover at launch but a year after. It came with only 64gb of storage and was heavily subsidized with requiring everyone using their Facebook account which wasn't as popular. It only went back down as more headsets were sold.

I do think starting the Quest 3 at 128gb of storage and then having the 512gb one being much more is very Apple and pretty scummy.

Sadly, I find the Q3 not as comfortable and hurts a lot. I think they should mark down the strap accessories.

Quest 2 was notorious for being uncomfortable as well, I've read numerous complaints for it. Same for the PSVR2. Probably every traditional looking VR headset ever made is uncomfortable to someone. For what it's worth I have seen a few people claim the Quest 3's default straps weren't bad once you learn how to adjust them well, but I don't believe it myself haha.

That elite battery strap is all but mandatory IMO, I'd just as soon argue the device is priced at $630 / $780 due to that. The flimsy straps it ships with are bad. But again, I do believe even at those prices, when you additionally factor in the 100% longer battery from that elite battery strap and the huge jump in comfort, the device afaik still has no rival at even those prices.

Top Bottom