• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game should be called Snake's Revenge.

It was canon the whole time.

23-Snake_s_Revenge_453.png

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, that MGS2 thread is going to drive me nuts.

its just proving my theory that there's 2 kinds of people that talk about metal gear:

1. the ones that have actually played them
2. the ones that just heard about them from the internet so they come into threads saying "but cutscenes and weird plot and bad controls and no gameplay"

its just proving my theory that there's 2 kinds of people that talk about metal gear:

2. the ones that just heard about them from the internet so they come into threads saying "but cutscenes and weird plot and bad controls and no gameplay"

Co-signed

JayEH

I agree with this without reading through the thread much .

Holy shit, that MGS2 thread is going to drive me nuts.

What BS are people spewing now? I just saw one dude who said he returned the game the day he he got it.

This. People who spend more time talking about playing video games than they do actually playing them. Disgusting.

What BS are people spewing now? I just saw one dude who said he returned the game the day he he got it.

I took a break from reading, but Xpike pretty much covered it.

Am I crazy, I'm thinking of selling my retail copy of GZ in favour of downloading the digital version? The last few purchases I've made have been digital and I love having everything on the console ready to play. Can't do nothing at the moment since PSN is down. MGS GZ is also tiny like 4GB. Ok you've convinced me!

Don't even think I'll even sell it, won't get anything for it.

JayEH

I have a digital copy and a Japanese retail copy. I'll be getting digital and retail (hopefully collectors) for TPP. It's good to have both since why wouldn't you want to show the world you love Metal Gear on your shelf?

Ok, I deleted MGS :GZ off my ps4 ( I had the retail version) then I downloaded the digital version, but when I loaded it up my save files were gone from my retail version.

Is this normal?

Skullface

LTTP Wow at the Chicken stuff. lol Based KojiPro

LOL

eZWcQr8.gif

Can we have a dialogue about using the term "based" as a compliment? I completely understand that it's a thing now, but I wonder if everyone who uses the term realizes that it's derived from slang meaning "high on freebase cocaine".

I saw an interview where Lil B mentioned that he was trying to take a negative phrase and turn it into praise, but of all things, it really rustles my jimmies. How can you take slang for getting high on coke and try and change that into a positive?

Personally, I'm offended when I see people I hold in high regard referred to as "based", and I hope this nuanced slang goes away really fucking soon. It's like "stupid" meaning "awesome".

Edit: Example;
"Slim Shady you a base head"
"Nuh uh!"
"Then why you face red, man you wasted"

This. People who spend more time talking about playing video games than they do actually playing them. Disgusting.

I took a break from reading, but Xpike pretty much covered it.

Man what a novel thought, actually playing video games.

I hate it when people say MGS has no gameplay, it has some of the deepest stealth gameplay this side of Thief II:The Metal Age.

I mean just look at Snake Eater alone, or MGS4's CQC system.

No gameplay my ass, I shake my fucking head everytime I hear those sad sorry excuses.

Wow thats pretty crazy. I forgot that thats the derivation of that slang. Not sure how he did it, but I'm sure the majority of the internet uses the term with the intention of a positive meaning now.

Cultural meanings of words change all the time, i guess.

Skullface

CHEEZMO™;145034188 said:
Nowt wrong with getting high on coke or anything else, dude. Chill B)

Nah bra, my problem is that most people don't realize it's a freebase reference. If that's your thing, cool. But it's used way too frequently without regard to it's roots. I will continue to point out it's origins everywhere I see it.

Wow thats pretty crazy. I forgot that thats the derivation of that slang. Not sure how he did it, but I'm sure the majority of the internet uses the term with the intention of a positive meaning now.

Cultural meanings of words change all the time, i guess.

Culture changes depending on how people recall history and interpret symbols. Sociologist here.

Either way, you're the first person I called on the origins of this term who took a moment to consider it. Good on you bro, and thanks.

I hate it when people say MGS has no gameplay, it has some of the deepest stealth gameplay this side of Thief II:The Metal Age.

No gameplay my ass, I shake my fucking head everytime I hear those sad sorry excuses.

A lot of people critizise the MGS games especially for the way they tell their story, i.e. lots of passive cutscenes and codec dialogue, not trying to take a more interactive approach to the story.

But what this actually accomplishes is that it keeps story and gameplay entirely seperate and if you really don't like the story or you're replaying it for the hundreds time you can skip the plot entirely.

I really enjoyed TLOU the first time around but I couldn't make it through the game a second time with all those forced slow walking sections while looking for ladders.

Besides, if you want interactivity, all the contextsensitive codec conversations that you can find are practically both story and a gameplay element as well.

JayEH

People seem to not realize that MGS is one of the most open games in terms of gameplay for any series. There soooo many ways to go about things and I learn new things every time I watch a skilled player or speed run. It's crazy that these games have this much depth (with the exception of MGS1 and PW I'd say). E.g. I had no idea you could blow up ammo sheds and food storages in MGS3 until last summer and can build strategies out of that. Yeah some of it's story stuff can be long and sometimes it's bullshit but if people can get around all the exaggerated sayings about the series they'd be surprise by what they're seeing.

Looks beautiful! I wish there was a higher resolution of this. Anyway, looks like it's the main menu screen or the scene that comes after you select a mission.

Just open the image in a new tab and add ":large" to the link, if it's not already present, and you should be able to get a clearer view.

I think it's supposed to be ":eek:rig" for the native res.

That's what I'm doing but it's still not HD.

Ah, I gotcha; yeah, hopefully, we get some new direct-feed shots soon!

Kojima is mixing a new trailer?

B57RdfDCYAALibj.jpg:large

Was wondering, myself. What do you think? I quit caring about any sort of release date-related information, but do you think it's possible that we'll get a new trailer soon? The next Kojima Station isn't until the 22nd of January, so maybe they'll show it there (since there usually isn't this much of a gap between episodes).

Just got done playing ground zeroes and really enjoyed it. Not sure I would have paid $30 for it but it was definitely worth the $7 on PSN.

That said, anyone notice how bad the voice acting was? I mean Kiefer was fine but everyone else sounded real bad. Stuff like "played us like a fiddle" ugh. I don't remember games like MGS2 being this bad... Snake, Raiden, Colonel, Ocelot, Rose were all pretty good in that IMO.

Can we have a dialogue about using the term "based" as a compliment? I completely understand that it's a thing now, but I wonder if everyone who uses the term realizes that it's derived from slang meaning "high on freebase cocaine".

I saw an interview where Lil B mentioned that he was trying to take a negative phrase and turn it into praise, but of all things, it really rustles my jimmies. How can you take slang for getting high on coke and try and change that into a positive?

Personally, I'm offended when I see people I hold in high regard referred to as "based", and I hope this nuanced slang goes away really fucking soon. It's like "stupid" meaning "awesome".

Edit: Example;
"Slim Shady you a base head"
"Nuh uh!"
"Then why you face red, man you wasted"

Based argument bruh.

akira28

i need a new trailer or for this song to be included in the game soundtrack

Jimi Hendrix - If a Merman I should turn to be 1983
http://youtu.be/WLP72O1V3PI

Hurrah! I awake from yesterday
Alive but the war is here to stay

Well its too bad
That our friends
Can't be with us today
Well that's too bad
"The machine that we built would never save us"

play it while they're retrieving Metal Gear Zeke on the ocean of the sea...it's fucking. perfect.

or try the metal version http://youtu.be/JzlLtXUUQVg

Who do I need to petition to get this into the game?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah looks lile a new trailer is coming!

Man, does this guy ever not work? Kojima really wants to get this game out ASAP.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ah, nice! I think he will show something soon. He's been showing some off-screen stuff lately, so maybe he's putting something together! That tweet about him mixing would strongly suggest a trailer, would it not?

but if those teaser pics are from the new trailer that would suggest it's a gameplay trailer, i thought and kinda hoped for a new story trailer. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom