• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_m9rweavvPR1rb9imko6_r1_500.gif

The best Big Boss ever right there.

MGS 4 is one of the best games of last gen, get at me brehs.

I'm gonna do one better and say that MGS 4 is the best console game I've ever played.

Sorry, but for me, it is!

On a side note, I really want to hear the full version of "sins of the fathers" by Donna burke. Anyone here know when that's gonna be released?

fbgamer

Banned
Let's just get some shit straight.

MGS2>MGS3>>>>>>>>>>MGS1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MGS4

I don't know how i feel about Ground Zeroes yet.

Woffls

MGS4 is da bomb. Replaying at the moment on Big Boss Hard... no idea how I found The Boss Extreme so easy back in the day, but I would always play it on that setting because it's just more fun.

I generally go for no alerts, and as many kills as possible. Weapons of choice are as follows, all silenced: Operator, M5, M14 EBR, DSR-1.

Act 3 is probably my favourite, but god damn that is not an easy choice. Every act in that game is unique and fun to play in different ways. Act 5 can do one, though.

Subbin dis.

[edit] Ranks for funsies, in order of how much I enjoy the game: MGS2 > MGS4 > TWIN SNAKES > MGSGZ >>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS3

Lernaean

Banned
I like 4 too, I really don't get the hate, it's a great game.
My new found love is Ground Zeroes though, it's amazing.

Holykael1

Banned
Sure let's do ranks. I hope I don't get crucified for it though.

MGS 2 > MGS 4 > MGS 1 > MGS 3 > MGS PW > MGS PO

There is not a single one I dislike.

Just finished MGS3 again today. Why is Ocelot running around trying to kill you if he really wants you to finish your mission? (I guess that can be said of every game in the series) One second he is helping you kill volgin then he is trying to murder you on your bike.

Just finished MGS3 again today. Why is Ocelot running around trying to kill you if he really wants you to finish your mission? (I guess that can be said of every game in the series) One second he is helping you kill volgin then he is trying to murder you on your bike.

I took it that Ocelot just wants to see who is the best, when BB puts him on his ass in 3, I took it that he just wants to prove he is better "i'm probably wrong :p"

MGS3 > MGS4 > MGSGZ > MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS GB > MGS PW > MG2 > MG1

Loakum

Banned
Nicely done thread! It's gonna be really interesting reading all the MGSV theories. The Chico is "The Quiet" one is a doozy. 0_o

I took it that Ocelot just wants to see who is the best, when BB puts him on his ass in 3, I took it that he just wants to prove he is better "i'm probably wrong :p"

That makes sense for the final fight. That fight he clearly just wanted to spar, but seriously wtf at attacking when on the bike, why? There is no way around that, the intention was to kill, at those speeds a bike crash should kill them.

One thing, did HE steal the philosphers legacy from snake on the final battle? Or when he said the chinese got the fake he was referring to Snake making the switch and turning in the real philosphers legacy.

Loakum

Banned
Let's just get some shit straight.

MGS2>MGS3>>>>>>>>>>MGS1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MGS4

I don't know how i feel about Ground Zeroes yet.

Don't be shy, let us know how you feel about MGS4. lol

That makes sense for the final fight. That fight he clearly just wanted to spar...

Don't forget the duel/boss fight they have after BB puts him on his ass... after all BB let him get away because "he was young (Ocelot)"

Put it down to him having a grudge with BB (HIM being Ocelot) and (sorry for Rocky IV reference here... "if he dies he dies" rules :p

Don't forget the duel they have after that...

Put it down to him having a grudge with BB (HIM being Ocelot) and (sorry for Rocky IV reference here... "if he dies he dies" rules :p

Thats what I meant, the final duel they have on the plane was clearly "for fun" and as a test.

I guess he couldn't have viewed trying to kill him on the bike as competing to finish the mission... though then he would have had to fight the shagohod and kill the boss and no way he could do that. Nope makes no sense at all.

Timeaisis

We're ranking, huh? OK.

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS4 = MGS2 > MGS GZ > MGS PO > MGS PW

I don't care about Acid enough to rank them. GZ is short, but it's still a great game.

EDIT: If I could equate 1, 2 and 4 I probably would. I think 1 is so regarded so highly by me because it's MGS1. If you know what I mean.

fbgamer

Banned
MGS4 is awful.

The first act was amazing. The second act was bearable. The bosses were mediocre at best.
The third act was fucking terrible, so was the last act.

There were parts I liked. Most parts I hated.

The 4th act was nostalgia bullshit (that worked most of the time) that is just fan service in the end and added almost nothing to the story.

Game is the weakest link.

Thats what I meant, the final duel they have on the plane was clearly "for fun" and as a test.

I guess he couldn't have viewed it as competing to finish the mission... though then he would have had to fight the shagohod and kill the boss and no way he could do that. Nope makes no sense at all.

I took it like this... the first encounter you have with ocelot, ocelot gets cocky and BB puts him on his ass... Ocelot runs off and BB stays Eva's hand because Ocelot is just a cocky young buck.... then Ocelot has a duel with BB with the help of the Gru... and because BB beat him through that Ocelot still wasn't happy because he had been bested again....Ocelot still needed that final duel at the end of MGS3 just to see where he stood...

Atrophis

I completed the PW main story a couple of days ago. I then fired up Ground Zeroes and got a ton of stuff spoilt as finishing the main missions isn't really the full story of PW. So I've gone back to PW to finish off more missions and unlock extra tapes.

Quick question, are Cipher mentioned in PW at all as I don't remember it? Also a GW loading screen just straight up tells you who runs it. Was that revealed anywhere else? Is it even meant to be a secret?

daveo42

Banned
I'll get in on this as well. Surprised at the lack of the community thread too. As for MGS4, it was good, but no where near close as good as 3 or 1. I'd still rank it above PO, but below PW and 2. So...

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS2 > PW > MGS4 > PO

Haven't played either of the Acid games.

Timeaisis

I think OP should be updated to say no MGS4 bashing.

That being said, it has it's faults. Acts 1 and 2 are fantastic. Act 3 has a great feel and some great exposition, but lacks critical gameplay in the beginning, dragging it down. 4 would be my favorite act, but there are barely any enemies to speak of except for Geckos. The boss fight is really amazing, though. Act 5 is short, but good.

I think my biggest complaint with MGS4 was the pacing inconsistencies. There were moments when the game was literally the coolest thing ever (All of Act 1, tracking in Act 2, Ocelot scene in Act 3, Car chase in Act 3, Boss fights in Act 4, Final battle in Act 5), but then there are moments when it really limps around (tracking your target, while cool at first, is a chore in subsequent playthroughs of Act 3, most of Act 4 minus the ending boss battles, which are stellar).

That all being said, MGS4 is still one of my favorite games of last gen, but I understand the complaints. I just think they are exaggerated most of the time. I liked the story, actually. A lot.

I took it like this... the first encounter you have with ocelot, ocelot gets cocky and BB puts him on his ass... Ocelot runs off and BB stays Eva's hand because Ocelot is just a cocky young buck.... then Ocelot has a duel with BB with the help of the Gru... and because BB beat him through that Ocelot still wasn't happy because he had been bested again....Ocelot still needed that final duel at the end of MGS3 just to see where he stood...

Yeah I agree with that, I was talking specifically about him trying to kill you during the bike chase after he clearly tried to help you versus volgin.

So who here has played ghost babel? worth checking out?

Also 3>2>1>PW>4

Ghost Babel is an absolute masterpiece. It is everything MGS1 was put into 2D form. It is GIGANTIC with a shit ton of VR extras after the already long campaign. Its the best 2D Metal Gear game by far and possibly the best GBC game.

TBH, anyone who doesn't put MGS3 first is dead to me...

:p

NAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but discrediting mgs4 and classing it as the "retcon episode" of the saga is just BS....

Ishida

Banned
Ok, everyone is ranking their Metal Gear games. I just want to be popular:

MGS = MGS3 > MGS2 = MGS4 >> MG2:SS >>Peace Walker >> MG1 >> Portable Ops

Only mainline titles. I'm not including Ground Zeroes even though I really liked it, because I want to wait and play The Phantom Pain.

Ishida

Banned
Ghost Babel is an absolute masterpiece. It is everything MGS1 was put into 2D form. It is GIGANTIC with a shit ton of VR extras after the already long campaign. Its the best 2D Metal Gear game by far and possibly the best GBC game.

Agreed, Ghost Babel was truly amazing. Although I can't decide if I like it more or less than MG2: Solid Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom