• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 2 now works again of non-CFW PS3 systems

wwm0nkey

The MGO2R Servers are now up for those are official firmware PS3 systems. Here is how to do it

I personally might go out and get a cheap PS3 and MGS4 just to play this again, imo it was a MUCH better online Metal Gear than what we got with MGSV and it is really cool that the team worked hard to make it work on non-CFW PS3 systems.

wwm0nkey

Didn't know it was even available with CFW.

Like how much people are even playing it?

You could add to the number of people playing it :)

Also if the PS3 emulator ends up being able to run this someday...whew

(A PS3 + MGS4 should only run me like $70max right?)

This is my second most played mode, game, whatever...I absolutely loved MGO2! I couldn't quite get in to MGO3 as much. I'll definitely be trying this. Can't freaking wait. Thanks for posting

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Very interested by this but the "you will lose 99% of data on your PS3" step kinda makes this a no-go for me as I still have other stuff to play on it :/

I'd love to play this again, and it's great that they've achieved this, but I'm not turning my PS3 into a dedicated MGO machine, especially since the player count won't be high (it was never that high on the original anyway).

But still, I'd any old, or even new players, jump into it, have fun!

Jayveer

There is a way to do it without having to delete evetything, but it's more time consuming. It's basiclaly where you take a backup of what you have and merge the savemgo's custom files into it and restore with that. They'll make a tutorial for that soon. Or you can get another HDD and put this image on there and switch between the two.

WhatNXt

When people say MGO2, was MGO1 the one on PSP?

Either way, this was amazing - much better than the MGSV FOB stuff. I need to repair my PS3 or buy a second hand unit!

wwm0nkey

If anyone here tries it, can you comment on network performance? Don't remember much of network performance of MGO2 but I am curious how it is on this,

Jayveer

If anyone here tries it, can you comment on network performance? Don't remember much of network performance of MGO2 but I am curious how it is on this,

Well relatively the network performance is fine, the main problem with MGO2 is the netcode which of course is not something that can be fixed via server emulation. this emulated server is hosted on a vps, which is what serves the lobby, settings menu etc. The actual matches are p2p, so the network performance is variable depending on a lot of things, the hosts own internet, the upload speed the host is using and your distance from the host. It's a bit of a problem that the game lets you choose your upload speed as some players abuse this by puting themselves on a low upload speed.

Top Bottom