• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V final box art (A Hideo Kojima Game/Kojima Productions removed)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing is that I really don't think they care when it comes down to it.

If they're trying to distance their brand from Kojima's in the first instance, they obviously do care. :D

It seems like Konami have weighed up the consequences and decided (rightly or wrongly) that this was the best course of action, which is baffling. If anything, it raises more questions than it answers: what were the alternatives that were so bad they would threaten to undermine their own marketing campaign?

That's why I can't understand all the posters coming in here with their "who cares?" It's very odd, it's very public, it's high level and, as I said before, it's pretty much unprecedented.

Boss Mog

I don't get how they can remove that stuff. It just seems wrong and a really shitty and petty thing to do. Personally I'm not gonna get this til it's dirt cheap in the bargain bin.

Boss★Moogle;172011788 said:
I don't get how they can remove that stuff. It just seems wrong and a really shitty and petty thing to do. Personally I'm not gonna get this til it's dirt cheap in the bargain bin.

What, you're gonna not get a game that a creator put his life and soul into, just because the publisher refused to put his name on the box? You're gonna affect the possibility of him doing other stuff later on, because of something that's out of his control? Or are you just not interested in MGSV to begin with?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If they're trying to distance their brand from Kojima's in the first instance, they obviously do care. :D

It seems like Konami have weighed up the consequences and decided (rightly or wrongly) that this was the best course of action, which is baffling. If anything, it raises more questions than it answers: what were the alternatives that were so bad they would threaten to undermine their own marketing campaign?

That's why I can't understand all the posters coming in here with their "who cares?" It's very odd, it's very public, it's high level and, as I said before, it's pretty much unprecedented.
I really don't think the average consumer, like with many other developers, is gonna care specifically who made the game. When it has a huge marketing campaign(with or without Kojima being mentioned constantly), tons of internet hype, and relatively decent graphics, people are gonna buy.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Awesome, EviLore is on Team "A Hideo Kojima Game".

2015-07-1602_19_32-ty89k88.png

https://twitter.com/NeoGAF/status/621473272962519040

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hard to tell but pretty sure that's not ingame. Especially the hair.
pic_z_056_7hfuer.jpg

pic_z_064_g822sa.jpg

Wat? lmao that's all ingame, hell it's not just ingame it's also GAMEPLAY.

Wait, are you talking about the boxart cover? then no pretty sure it's not ingame but the pics you posted are ingame.

Linconan

I really don't care if they've removed his name on the cover, as long as he's credited in the credits, that all to worry about really.

But, i've always had a problem with the layout of "Metal Gear Solid, Phantom Pain".
Looks very amateurish.
Would've been better just to have the V standalone or with Metal Gear within the V, and Solid overlaying the V.
I'll have to make my own cover.lol

Crossing Eden

Wait, are you talking about the boxart cover? then no pretty sure it's not ingame but the pics you posted are ingame.
I'm talking about the cover. I posted those screens as a comparison.

No I think they were using those as references to in game for us to compare to the cover. Not claiming those weren't in game photos.

mf.luder

Why not get rid of Konami everywhere?

Or the konami logo in the bottom right, make it so its the konami text but it just says KO - JIMA in some other text over top.

A-V-B

Why not get rid of Konami everywhere?

Or the konami logo in the bottom right, make it so its the konami text but it just says KO - JIMA in some other text over top.

Oh man, someone do "KOJIMA" in the exact font and style of the current Konami logo.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't think the average consumer, like with many other developers, is gonna care specifically who made the game.

Which is why I made specific reference to the Kojima fanbase being affected in my first post. They may not make up the majority of those who will purchase, but they sure as hell will be vocal (and very loud) about their displeasure. Sometimes that can be just as bad.

Crossing Eden

Which is why I've only made reference to the Kojima fanbase being affected. They may not make up the majority of those who will purchase, but they sure as hell will be vocal about their displeasure.
Yes they will. Buuuut, its very easy for companies to tune that out.

Which is why I made specific reference to the Kojima fanbase being affected in my first post. They may not make up the majority of those who will purchase, but they sure as hell will be vocal (and very loud) about their displeasure. Sometimes that can be just as bad.

This, and a good chunk of that fan base is very well-aware of who the director is. It's not just one message board online, there are plenty of people worldwide who are more fond of Kojima than Konami. With most games, to your point, who cares who made Battlefield 3 as opposed to Battlefield 4, for example, but like with Metal Gear, it's different!

Just as easy for consumers to tune out their next product, though. It's like, yeah, this whole situation probably won't affect MGSV. But MGS6... Not gonna be pretty, by and large.

Spy

Has it been confirmed if there's going to be any kind of digital CE or season pass? Kind of hesitant to preorder if there's a possibility of another version being put up on the PSN store.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

That's not really how marketing works. Why do you think companies engage in damage control? You don't "tune out" a valuable, long term, high-spend customer base like that, especially if you're looking to continue the series later down the road. They can be an absolutely superb free word of mouth asset or a terrible caustic and toxic influence on potential new customers, depending on how you treat them.

On top of that, you need to consider that Konami answer to Share Holders. If their confidence is shake that basically affects Konami directly in the pockets. News outlets and the vocal minority blocking up the internet with negativity is not exactly going to make Share Holders want to stay onboard.

It's why I think it's such a weird situation. They're taking a pretty big risk when they may not have needed to.

Just as easy for consumers to tune out their next product, though. It's like, yeah, this whole situation probably won't affect MGSV. But MGS6... Not gonna be pretty, by and large.

Exactly. It's short term thinking.

Oh man, someone do "KOJIMA" in the exact font and style of the current Konami logo.

It's already been done, it was done back when this all first came to light actually. Don't recall who the poster was though, but you could find it if you search.

Edit:

I posted this in the MGS OT community thread, but I've made a Shinkawa cover for TPP based off the GZ alt cover. Enjoy!

uKmwym4.jpg

Magneto-perfection.gif

Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to print this out in the right way? What kind of paper, ink, recommendations of printers? And to be clear, I mean "who do I have to pay?", not "what expensive printer do I need to buy?". :)

That's actually pretty funny.

Crossing Eden

It wouldn't have been anyway when you think about it since Kojima isn't making it.

That's not really how marketing works. Why do you think companies engage in damage control? You don't "tune out" a valuable, long term, high-spend customer base like that, especially if you're looking to continue the series later down the road. They can be an absolutely superb free word of mouth asset or a terrible caustic and toxic influence on potential new customers, depending on how you treat them.

On top of that, you need to consider that Konami answer to Share Holders. If their confidence is shake that basically affects Konami directly in the pockets. News outlets and the vocal minority blocking up the internet with negativity is not exactly going to make Share Holders want to stay onboard.

It's why I think it's such a weird situation. They're taking a pretty big risk when they may not have needed to.

Exactly. It's short term thinking.
Isn't Konami basically only gonna be making PES after MGSV comes out? I seriously think you're overestimating how much the consumer base, even metal gear fans, care about the name on the cover and how much that will affect game sales and reception compared to so many other factors like the inclusion of microtransactions.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Konami basically only gonna be making PES after MGSV comes out? I seriously think you're overestimating how much the consumer base, even metal gear fans, care about the name on the cover and how much that will affect game sales and reception compared to so many other factors like the inclusion of microtransactions.

There are quite a few indicators suggesting they will be continuing MGS post-Kojima. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think it will massively affect sales for MGSV, but Konami could certainly use the good will when selling MGSVI to them sans Kojima.

I also think you seriously underestimate quite how much of Metal Gear is tied to it's auteur-like director. Kojima's name is a selling point, whether you believe it or not.

Crossing Eden

There are quite a few indicators suggesting they will be continuing MGS post-Kojima. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think it will massively affect sales for MGSV, but Konami could certainly use the good will when selling MGSVI to them sans Kojima.

I also think you seriously underestimate quite how much of Metal Gear is tied to it's auteur-like director. Kojima's name is a selling point, whether you believe it or not.
Honestly curious about how long they're gonna take on another MGS game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly curious about how long they're gonna take on another MGS game.

With the market like it is and how easy to use Fox Engine appears to be, I wouldn't put it past them to annualise after getting MGSVI/MGS Reboot of the ground just to squeeze as much money out of it before it ends up on the scrap heap next to Silent Hills (although I think that's still on the cards in some form).

I'm terrified that they'll listen to all the people that want MGS to be more grounded "like MGS1" (ha!) and turn it into a crappy Splinter Cell-esque clone, devoid of all the stuff that makes the series unique. I'm getting a little ahead of myself though!

Crossing Eden

With the market like it is and how easy to use Fox Engine appears to be, I wouldn't put it past them to annualise after getting MGSVI/MGS Reboot of the ground just to squeeze as much money out of it before it ends up on the scrap heap next to Silent Hills (although I think that's still on the cards in some form).

I'm terrified that they'll listen to all the people that want MGS to be more grounded "like MGS1" (ha!) and turn it into a crappy Splinter Cell-esque clone, devoid of all the stuff that makes the series unique. I'm getting a little ahead of myself though!
Well the newest entry already is quite similar to Splinter Cell compared to past games. Reusing assets will probably go a long way for sequels.

I'll need that uncompressed and full Rez. Get that nice glossy paper and print it out nice.

Yeah, can I get it in PSD or PNG format? I might print it in high quality for all of us and have it ready in time for MGS V so we can have a mass burning on the actual boxart.

I deal with a few printhouses and can get it done for less than a dollar. Let's make it happen.

J-Skee

Yeah, can I get it in PSD or PNG format? I might print it in high quality for all of us and have it ready in time for MGS V so we can have a mass burning on the actual boxart.

I deal with a few printhouses and can get it done for less than a dollar. Let's make it happen.

You are a saint. I'm totally with this.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well the newest entry already is quite similar to Splinter Cell compared to past games.

In what way? Splinter Cell as a series is heavily in debt to MGS, if anything. I'd say, TPP is Peace Walker's controls and base management set in an Open World.

I say that as a fan of both franchises, btw.

Reusing assets will probably go a long way for sequels.

Yeah. That's quite tragic when you think about it.

Crossing Eden

In what way? Splinter Cell as a series is heavily in debt to MGS, if anything. I'd say, TPP is Peace Walker's controls and base management set in an Open World.

I say that as a fan of both franchises, btw.

Yeah. That's quite tragic when you think about it.
Just the general feeling of GZ felt more like Splinter Cell over feeling like MGS4 or PW when it comes to gameplay,(granted I changed the controls to shooter). TPP will probably feel very very different from GZ even though it's basically the same gameplay in a huge open world with all the quirky MGS stuff/base building.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just the general feeling of GZ felt more like Splinter Cell over feeling like MGS4 or PW when it comes to gameplay,(granted I changed the controls to shooter). TPP will probably feel very very different from GZ even though it's basically the same gameplay in a huge open world with all the quirky MGS stuff/base building.

Ah, okay. Like the atmosphere of the GZ mission? know what you mean. I just put that down to their being rain and tents in both GZ and CT :D

NateDog

Can you let some of us know the best way to print it? I really like this one but I'm not in the US so I'd be doing it myself.

TheBear

I will pay for this.

Top Bottom