• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

Side ops not being rated are great in that it actually gave me a reason to kill and use the other 95% of weapons in the game like you mentioned. But, that still doesn't change the fact I'm doing the same 5 or so mission types in a viage I ha e already been through 4 times.

I doubt reviewers had time to touch any sideop that wasn't yellow

You don't get penalized for using lethal weapons in the scoring system. You miss out on a 5000 point bonus for no kills, but in a lot of missions speed gives you the biggest bonus. I've certainly gotten S ranks while playing "loud."

Literally every single hypothetical question you've raised is a subjective question. With maybe the exception of "Does anyone grow as a character?" and then the next question would have to be "is that growth believable?" which is a subjective question.

All of those are something that can looked at subjectively. I really don't understand what your getting at.

If a theme is introduced in a story, is it prevalent throughout? Does entire the story revolve around it or is it just paid lip service? If your theme is revenge and becoming a monster, whether that actually occurs in your story or not, or whether it's brought up and reflected in the story, or whether it's just mentioned randomly, that's not really a subjective thing. Whether a character evolves or regresses, or is static in that they're the same exact person in the beginning, middle and end, they have not experienced any growth whatsoever. There's no maybe about that. Whether we are getting story that drives the plot forward periodically or sporadically is not a subjective thing. Good narratives don't work on inconsistency.

If a theme is introduced in a story, is it prevalent throughout? Does entire the story revolve around it or is it just paid lip service? If your theme is revenge and becoming a monster, whether that actually occurs in your story or not, or whether it's brought up and reflected in the story, or whether it's just mentioned randomly, that's not really a subjective thing. Whether a character evolves or regresses, or is static in that they're the same exact person in the beginning, middle and end, they have not experienced any growth whatsoever. There's no maybe about that. Whether we are getting story that drives the plot forward periodically or sporadically is not a subjective thing. Good narratives don't work on inconsistency.
Ok. This is getting pointless now. Yes, those are subjective. Those can used to back up your subjective opinion on why you think that but whether a character evolves or not is purely based on the person subjective opinion. Even if there is clear growth or not.
Your right about the "pushing the plot forward" point but that doesn't make it objectively bad or good.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Placebo effect? Plus "A Hideo Kojima game" and "F@#k Konami".

Sure, MGSV is a good game, but seems it's overrated by reviewers.

This type of nonsense is just mystifying to me. Glad to know the last 60 hours haven't actually been fun, it was just the placebo effect!

Roto13

I can't believe anyone cares about Yahtzee in 2015. He's still at the Escapist, for god's sake.

This type of nonsense is just mystifying to me. Glad to know the last 60 hours haven't actually been fun, it was just the placebo effect!

Clearly he is the only sane mind left in a world gone mad.

galvenize

AngryJoe review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdrOMdUcqI

He gave it the highest possible
9/10 with a badass seal of approval. Main complaints are the same as everyone else's. Unfinished chapter 2, slight repetitiveness and disappointing boss fights. Regardless, the positives far outweighs the negatives and that by the time MGO comes out, this game will earn its 10.

liquidtmd

Banned

Errm the dude you quoted said it's a good game but just overrated by reviewers.

In context of the hyperbolic reviews and the very glaring faults in terms of the story I don't think that quote is too out there

Not usually a fan of angry Joe but I liked the review. 7:50 mark got me good. His final verdict around the 25:00 min mark nails exactly the balance between high praise and shitting on the faults of the story and the online component

haikira

Any spoilers? Im a long way from finished

It is a little.

It shows some important gameplay and cutscene footage from around the end of episode one. I wouldn't consider anything in the video to be a really major spoiler, but I'd definitely recommend people only watch it if they've at least beat episode one.

Top Bottom